Recovered/Located NV - Ronnie (found deceased) & Beverly Barker (taken for med care), RV trip, Stagecoach, 27 Mar 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is extremely sad news. Ron was a good friend and I'll miss him. I'm glad Bev made it. I hope we get answers soon. I haven't read all of this thread so I may be wrong, but this does seem like it may have been a situation where they simply got lost? Why on earth did the authorities wait so freaking long to search?
I am sorry for your loss.

I, too, ask why it took so long for authorities to search. Hoping the sad outcome wasn’t a result of the delay.

Late last night there was a post on the family’s Facebook page saying they received a text yesterday with the words HELP and the gps coordinates. Their guess was it came in as that device was brought into cell range, which is how it would work. My adult children made me get an Apple Watch because that is exactly what it does. It sends your GPS coordinates to your emergency contacts. It works if you hit the SOS button or if you have a fall and don’t respond to the watch’s prompts asking if you are okay. So, it sounds like someone’s Apple Watch did its job; just no cell service.

When my parents got older they always traveled with another RVer and their rig. They had a few close calls and they determined that things can happen quickly and dangerously when traveling. My dad always carried a gun in the RV and that made me extremely nervous.

Late last night there was a post on the family’s Facebook page saying they received a text yesterday with the words HELP and the gps coordinates. Their guess was it came in as that device was brought into cell range, which is how it would work. My adult children made me get an Apple Watch because that is exactly what it does. It sends your GPS coordinates to your emergency contacts. It works if you hit the SOS button or if you have a fall and don’t respond to the watch’s prompts asking if you are okay. So, it sounds like someone’s Apple Watch did its job; just no cell service.
PLBs work in areas without cell service, I highly recommend them for everyone.

This hit my local news. It reminds me of the Death Valley Germans; Tom Mahood has a write up of his search efforts and how the family ended up in a very remote part of Death Valley that made no sense for over a decade (first hit on Google with those details) and is a good calibration for understanding the seemingly inexplicable tragedies of the desert.

Condolences to the family and prayers for Beverly’s recovery.

This hit my local news. It reminds me of the Death Valley Germans; Tom Mahood has a write up of his search efforts and how the family ended up in a very remote part of Death Valley that made no sense for over a decade (first hit on Google with those details) and is a good calibration for understanding the seemingly inexplicable tragedies of the desert.

Condolences to the family and prayers for Beverly’s recovery.

By the way, there is a Websleuths thread about the "Death Valley Germans" here:
CA - CA - Egbert Rimkus (dec'd), Cornelia Meyer, & 2 kids, Death Valley, 26 July 1996

Hopefully, as Bev recovers we will learn more about how they came to be in that remote area. In the meantime, that doesn’t stop me from looking at maps and trying to figure it out.
If the 6:05 capture on video in Luning is correct and the 7:16 ping near Silver Peak and Nivloc is accurate, I think they decided to cut down to Silver Peak on 265 from 95 and then intended to head east on Silver Peak Rd back to 95. If one were to look at the map, it looks like a decent route and would cut off Tonopah. This is a curious decision considering the lateness of the hour, but the timeline fits.
Did they mistakenly turn right instead of left when they got to Silver Peak?

Attachments

• 16908F50-2D19-4306-A084-F25D71905F8A.jpeg
    16908F50-2D19-4306-A084-F25D71905F8A.jpeg
    242.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 4C9F4168-2953-421D-889C-2806BA8DCBCB.jpeg
    4C9F4168-2953-421D-889C-2806BA8DCBCB.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 56
Hopefully, as Bev recovers we will learn more about how they came to be in that remote area. In the meantime, that doesn’t stop me from looking at maps and trying to figure it out.
If the 6:05 capture on video in Luning is correct and the 7:16 ping near Silver Peak and Nivloc is accurate, I think they decided to cut down to Silver Peak on 265 from 95 and then intended to head east on Silver Peak Rd back to 95. If one were to look at the map, it looks like a decent route and would cut off Tonopah. This is a curious decision considering the lateness of the hour, but the timeline fits.

My review of the map resulted in the same conclusion. GPS probably stopped working and they turned the wrong way. So sad.

Yes, I was looking at that last night, but noticed that, in gmaps, it wouldn't save any time.

But just now I thought, what if they pulled off after 3 hrs driving from Stagecoach, feeling the need for Ronnie to take a rest, have a snack, before continuing their long night drive.

Possibly not liking highway driving, nervous about highway reststops, or not liking that the one coming up was on the left hand side.

Possibly stopped for a while after passing through Silver Peak, and then turned the wrong way in the dark.

The advice is, when you realize you're lost, always stop at that point, don't keep going. But many people don't think that way, they just want to find their way out and keep going. It's mostly a panic response, I think.

JMO

A silver alert was issued in Nevada, Monday. Peters is frustrated with the amount of time it took for searches to begin. The family first contacted authorities on March 29, according to Peters.

“That area they were found - there was a lot of people up there, but there could have been a lot more [including] ATV clubs, drone groups that wanted to fly drones,” Peters said. “I’ve got a long list of grievances with how Nevada handles missing persons.”

Family: Missing Indiana couple located in Nevada desert; man found dead

Yes, I was looking at that last night, but noticed that, in gmaps, it wouldn't save any time.

But just now I thought, what if they pulled off after 3 hrs driving from Stagecoach, feeling the need for Ronnie to take a rest, have a snack, before continuing their long night drive.

Possibly not liking highway driving, nervous about highway reststops, or not liking that the one coming up was on the left hand side.

Possibly stopped for a while after passing through Silver Peak, and then turned the wrong way in the dark.

The advice is, when you realize you're lost, always stop at that point, don't keep going. But many people don't think that way, they just want to find their way out and keep going. It's mostly a panic response, I think.

JMO
And we have to remember that these nice people were not from the desert and may not have comprehended the danger they put themselves in by going down certain kinds or types of roads. They may have proceeded much further than a local would thinking all roads connect to something eventually.

And we have to remember that these nice people were not from the desert and may not have comprehended the danger they put themselves in by going down certain kinds or types of roads. They may have proceeded much further than a local would thinking all roads connect to something eventually.
Yes, that's true. When you live in a place, you know the risks. Almost all the non-foul play cases I've followed involve visitors or newcomers to the area.

JMO

People who travel in the Western United States cannot rely on electronic devices and GPS systems.

Montana is an excellent example. You can put in an address on a GPS that can take you around in circles. That can be easily found on a map. Have a current Rand McNally and local map as well.

Hikers, rely on a USGS topographical map, and an old fashioned compass. Electronics can fail, or no signal in so many places out here.

That vast & remote landscape is unforgiving.

There has to be more to this story than just getting lost.

Why did they need to travel at night? Did some plans change that caused them to be in a hurry? What was their last contact with family? Was there a medical emergency? Where is the Kia?

I understand it is early in the mourning and recovery stages for the Barkers & their friends and family, but answers are needed.

I'm sure many of you have questions, too. Officials in all the counties involved need to hold a press conference or issue a report at some point.

We need to know if this was preventable & make any changes that would help travelers in the West weigh risks better.

I love to explore remote areas myself & almost ran out of gas in a rural area of Eastern Colorado once while traveling alone. Fortunately, I found a Good Samaritan in a small town.

A trip into the desert requires more knowledge and preparation. First timers in the West are very vulnerable & even the experienced can run into trouble.

JMHO

Here is the update from the nephew, Travis Peter’s page. As badly as I feel for their family and friends over Ron’s death, I am still so grateful that the search was in time for Beverly and that the girls didn’t lose both their parents.

<iframe src="Facebook" width="500" height="722" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share"></iframe>

Nevada official: Missing Indiana couple found after man dies

apparently they were found in the snow and tree line.
From the article:

Ferguson said the volunteer searchers found the couple and their car in forested mountains about 2 miles (3 kilometers) from the RV and it wasn’t clear why or how the Bakers ended up where they did.

“It was just one bad decision after another,” he said. “I’m not sure what took them off course. They got the motor home stuck and then unfortunately they got the car stuck.”

Ferguson said the couple had video that indicated they were in the Silver Peak area since March 27, but he said he didn’t have information on when Ronnie Barker died or the cause of his death.

Beverly Barker melted snow for water and the car provided shelter from temperatures that dipped into the 30s (1.1 below zero C) at night, he said. “She would get out and go for little walks.”

She was in good condition but authorities opted because of rough roads in the area to have her airlifted to a Reno hospital to be checked out, Ferguson said.

Nevada official: Missing Indiana couple found after man dies

apparently they were found in the snow and tree line.
So tragic! More from the article:

Travis Peters, a nephew of the couple, told KVVU-TV in Las Vegas that Ronnie Barker's death was a blow to the family.

“Ronnie no longer being alive in this family is a hole, and its never going to be filled … he’s just a bigger-than-life personality," Peters said.

Peters said it was unclear what happened to the couple.

“Thank God that Beverly is alive, because she will be able to fill in those blanks that we don’t know. Why did they go up the mountain? What happened?” Peters said. “She's going to be able to tell us."

This opinion gets my vote. There are commenters on FB Missing Official page who claim the same thing, as it happened to them when directed by GPS. They did turn left, but the road still was not so great, especially for RV drivers. Does the GPS self abandon at the Silver Peak Rd intersection?And at that point they were guessing? JMO

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper