NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - # 1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait...I just thought of something.

His mother says he was working as an "private contractor" (washing windows and putting up Christmas decorations). BUT, he had a boss, right? You're either a private contractor or you work for someone else. Not both. Maybe she meant [http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=99921,00.html] independent contractor?

But why?

Anyone can make their own flyers, post on craigslist, put notices on bulletin boards and do that kind of work on their own.
Why do they need someone else to be an intermediary for them?
To make appointments?

It's not passing my sniff test.

Thought about the job thing too. I was a bit confused. Some of the articles made it sould like he was working on his own and trying to find clients for the business. Then I saw people asking if his boss had sent him to Nevada for work and Naegle (I think) stated that the Boss confirmed that there was no work related reason for him to be out there.

He may have been trying to start his own business and looking for costomers. Who knows:waitasec:

Several folks on Twitter claim to be former Tribune coworkers of Steve, and are posting messages to help find him. Just throwing it out there.

Anything specific in those tweets, or just "Steven's missing"?

I find it unlikely that Steven went on a day trip on a Sunday to find new clients in what appears to be a completely random area of Vegas. LDS people typically don't work on Sunday if they have the choice. I can't see an LDS person skipping out on church to work unless they were under the direction of a boss. Webb claims he said he would go back to Utah if he needed him to. Again, not a sign of being there under a boss' orders. So if he wasn't there on his own work and wasn't there on his bosses work he was there for some other reason.

Im still waiting to hear if we have any info from Webb about what Steven was doing there or what Webb was doing there. I can't help but feel they are related.

Forgot to ask a question of those who knew Steven personally: Was he habitually punctual?

I find it unlikely that Steven went on a day trip on a Sunday to find new clients in what appears to be a completely random area of Vegas. LDS people typically don't work on Sunday if they have the choice. I can't see an LDS person skipping out on church to work unless they were under the direction of a boss. Webb claims he said he would go back to Utah if he needed him to. Again, not a sign of being there under a boss' orders. So if he wasn't there on his own work and wasn't there on his bosses work he was there for some other reason.

Im still waiting to hear if we have any info from Webb about what Steven was doing there or what Webb was doing there. I can't help but feel they are related.

You're right. Two LDS men, members of the same singles ward, each leave St George and go to Las Vegas on a Sunday. Independently of each other.

They even talk on the phone, something about a "church meeting" and neither asks the other "Why are YOU here?"

Is this discussion legitimate, about his cellphone messages being retrieved a day after he disappeared, before his phone went dead? There's no attribution of where the info came from and I hadn't heard about that before:
Steve Koecher missing since 12/13/09

Yes.

There's one other question that you all have been asking and I've been avoiding on advice from my family. It has nothing to do with Steven's character. It's just a fact.

These are the only two things I've been holding back.

Anything specific in those tweets, or just "Steven's missing"?

Just stuff like "My friend and former Trib coworker, Steve Koecher, is missing" with a link to his story. Nothing enlightening, just thought it might be helpful to those who were looking for info about his time there from his coworkers.

Yes.

There's one other question that you all have been asking and I've been avoiding on advice from my family. It has nothing to do with Steven's character. It's just a fact.

Are these facts important bits of information? Are they important pieces of the puzzle? If they are its unlikely that anybody here, no matter how good at sifting through information or making logical connections, will be able to shed much new light.

If they are important tot he story Im not saying "give us all the details!" or suggesting we give up if we don't have the clues. Im just saying its going to be very slow going, if going at all. Im not a PI. Im not in LE. Im just calling it as I see it.

I wonder if these witheld facts, if not character-related, perhaps point to Steven walking away willingly. Although I've never particularly leaned toward that conclusion in this case, I can see where a worried family would want to downplay that sort of evidence in the interest of finding their loved one. If I disappeared, I know my family would move mountains to find me, even if they suspected I'd willingly run away.

Naegle,
I have asked a few times if Steven had issues with gambling. I have wondered too about him not paying the rent ( after his mom had advanced him the money ). I have also asked if he might have been depressed.
But those things,depression,and gambling, are not personal failings Nor are they signs of a poor upbringing or family weakness. Depression is a clinical condition in many people ; sometimes only medical intervention can alleviate it. Also, gambling is an addiction, not a moral failing. * Just my opinion *
If I have offended anyone in Steven's family, please accept my apologies. It was not my intention to do so.

Oy Vey, I have just read this whole, confusing, convoluted thread and my brain hurts. Not because of you guys but rather the circumstances.

How involved are police? Are they taking the stance that steven is an adult and has a right to disappear?

I wonder if these witheld facts, if not character-related, perhaps point to Steven walking away willingly. Although I've never particularly leaned toward that conclusion in this case, I can see where a worried family would want to downplay that sort of evidence in the interest of finding their loved one. If I disappeared, I know my family would move mountains to find me, even if they suspected I'd willingly run away.

It would seem that is one of the likely possibilities here. That or it is outwardly incriminating to a particular individual they believe is innocent.

If it is the former I feel that many would still continue the search on the family's behalf.

Naegle,
I have asked a few times if Steven had issues with gambling. I have wondered too about him not paying the rent ( after his mom had advanced him the money ). I have also asked if he might have been depressed.

Respectfully snipped. ITA, and have also wondered about gambling. The lack of funds, moving closer to Vegas, etc. If he had a problem and had gotten in over his head, bless his heart, I don't think we'd judge him. Our purpose here is to try to help FIND him. That's all.

Another question I've seen left unanswered is whether family found his important papers (birth cert., passport, etc.).

Yes.

You said Steven might have gone to see Annemarie, to seek some "common ground".

Is that "common ground" the same "fact" alluded to above?

And another thing - if there was nothing of interest on his phone or laptop then how did he arrange this meeting (if that was what he was doing) unless the meeting was pre-arranged during a face to face meeting?

Data can be stored in a lot of ways in a lot of places. We have no idea if his email accounts (well known or private), facebook account, linkedin account, etc have been looked at. Maybe he used the internet at the public library and backed up data on a usb drive. We dont know. Way too many variables.

Even if Steven left voluntarily (which I'm still doubting) he still met someone that day. And they have the next clue.

Also, just because Steven's phone was used to retreive messages the following day doesn't mean it was him checking.

Yes.

When the messages were retrieved, the cellphone had to have "hit" a cellphone tower. What location was that?

Steve Koecher has been missing since 12/13/09

I see that the landlord thinks it's strange that his phone checked an AT&T voicemail saying that usually when you call your voicemail, the phone says your own number is the last number that was called.
I have at&t and when I call my voicemail it's a different number, so I don't think that's strange at all...unless Steven's cellphone was through a different carrier. Does anyone know if he used at&t or a different company?

Steve Koecher has been missing since 12/13/09

I see that the landlord thinks it's strange that his phone checked an AT&T voicemail saying that usually when you call your voicemail, the phone says your own number is the last number that was called.
I have at&t and when I call my voicemail it's a different number, so I don't think that's strange at all...unless Steven's cellphone was through a different carrier. Does anyone know if he used at&t or a different company?

If you've changed cellphone companies and kept the same phone number, your calls are likely being "ported over". It's all very complicated, but can account for one's voicemail being a different phone number.

If you've changed cellphone companies and kept the same phone number, your calls are likely being "ported over". It's all very complicated, but can account for one's voicemail being a different phone number.

That's true I didn't think about that. I suppose he also could've had more than one cell phone, like a prepaid. I know for tax purposes a lot of people carry separate cell phones for their business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkipTracer-tg