NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - # 1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not just make the rendezvous point the cul de sac? Having him get out of his car and walk doesn't make sense. IMO

It is just one last act of deception as much as I don't like the use of the word in this context. It creates a small measure of disconnect between the site of the abandonment and hopping in a car. As you can see, he was seen getting out of his car (however inadvertent that was). Going onto another block and hopping in a car would not be connected to him getting out of his car. Had he done both at the same time, one person could have witnessed both acts.

Can someone clarify the cell phone info for me?

He talked to his friend on the phone that morning. He didn't have a charger for the phone with him, and at some point the battery died. He left the cell phone in the car. The voicemail on the phone was accessed the next day.
Is that all correct?

I don't think the cell phone was in the car. It's being reported (as well as the credit cards) as "not having been used"....except for that message retrieval on the 14th.

Presents and snack foods are all that's been reported as having been found in the car.

Except it's a 55+ golf/retirement community that prohibits door-to-door sales.
They have a very restrictive HOA and "community standards" enforcement - and lots of rules. You can't even replace a dead planting with another type, unless you have approval. (You can, though, plant an identical one.)

True, however those are the places you have the most success because they're not over knocked like other communities and for the most part the people living there don't even care but that's all beside the point. Im a distant friend of Steven he wasn't that bold anyway so he probably wouldn't be there for that reason if there was a sign posted that said no soliciting.

You're right. Two LDS men, members of the same singles ward, each leave St George and go to Las Vegas on a Sunday. Independently of each other.

They even talk on the phone, something about a "church meeting" and neither asks the other "Why are YOU here?"

I am way behind you guys. So what time was this phone call. Do we know that Steven made it as far as Vegas? His car and his phone might have. But that does not mean that Steven did.

ETA: BBM, I wanted to point out that it seems that is the reasoning for family thinking this is Steven in the vids and it may not be true at all.

I'm not clear on the timeline so ignore me if I'm way off. How do we know that Stevenen didn't go to Vegas to meet with Webb? I think someone may have already suggested that.

On the gambling theory and the credit card debt, is it possible he had opened other cards in other names? It's not that hard to do these days. It would have been driven by addiction (which we know can completely consume someone, no matter the nature of said addiction), not because he set out to take advantage of someone else or commit a crime. He is obviously a good person, but one bad decision can lead down a path you never thought you'd be on.

I'm not clear on the timeline so ignore me if I'm way off. How do we know that Stephen didn't go to Vegas to meet with Webb? I think someone may have already suggested that.

Hiya SuziQ. That possibility has been mentioned. There is surveillance video from a residence in Sun City that shows who his family believes is Steven and his car. So, we're pretty much operating on the premise that he did make it to Vegas. It's the WHY we can't figure out!

On another note - can someone please refresh my memory as to when Steve visited Ann Marie's family in Wendover? Does anyone else think it's odd that he just dropped in on them without calling first?

I'm not clear on the timeline so ignore me if I'm way off. How do we know that Stevenen didn't go to Vegas to meet with Webb? I think someone may have already suggested that.

I'm not at all clear on the timeline, either. It's been mentioned that there's a timeline on facebook, but I can't see it. (What passes for a timeline anymore, seems to be just a list of things that happened on a certain date, not in sequence with times posted.)

It'd be nice to start about Dec 5th...with his travel to Wendover, back home, etc, etc.

I believe that Webb stated he called Steven on his cell phone. They were both in Vegas, but Webb said that neither knew that the other was there.

Here it is:
http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14152619
Greg Webb, a good friend of Koecher's in the LDS church, said he called Koecher the morning he disappeared. His cell phone has not been used since, nor his bank cards.
Webb said he asked Koecher to attend a church meeting in his place that day at 11 a.m.
"He said he was in Las Vegas, but would go back [to St. George] if I needed him to," said Webb. "I was also in Vegas so decided to go back myself. I told him just to do whatever it was he had to do and I'd see him later. That's it. I wish I would have asked him to go back to St. George."

I am not holding this information back because it's imbarassing to the family or because it suggests something we refuse to consider! I'm holding back this ONE fact because while you all are trying to help, Joe Shmoe, who may have given Steven a good knock on the head inflicting amnesia, may be on this thread too. The police have this info and are checking into it and askes us not to make it public. When they give the go ahead I'd love to hear your speculations about it. No one has mentioned this fact since I last posted.

Please don't feel like you have to walk on eggshells because I'm here. This thread is painful to read sometimes, but I'm still here because you are all so clever. I'm so sorry I haven't said this before, but THANK YOU! You are all bringing up some excellent points that I'm trying to pass on even if there are a few wild suggestions. I recognize that even the uncomfortable speculations are important to explore. Please, bear with me. I'm trying to be logical when all I want to do is hide in a corner and cry.

Carry on! I have a lot to say so I'm going to break up my posts.

This is the timeline I've compiled using the FB discussion and other facts.
November 13, 2009 Attended a wedding reception in Woods Cross. Saw and spoke to MR
November 30, 2009 Steven went to see the St George temple lights for a family home evening activity.
December 6, 2009 Steven talked with SS at church. He set up an appointment to home teach her on December 13 at 7PM.
December 7, 2009 Steven sat by SS at a Christmas dinner. Steven asked her to display his window washing flyers at her work.
December 8, 2009 Steven went to Ruby Valley, Nevada to visit Annemarie and her family. He mentioned he might be going to Sacramento.
December 10, 2009 Stopped for gas at a Flying J in Springville, Utah
December 12 , 2009 Stopped for gas and snacks at Shell Oil in Mesquite, Nevada
December 12, 2009 JS saw Steven leave his apartment in St George at 10:30
December 13, 2009 11AM Paul Doxey called Steven from a PEC meeting to ask if he could attend a meeting that night. Steven replied that he was in Las Vegas, but could get back to St George for the meeting.
December 13, 2009 11:56 AM Steven drives by the camera
December 13, 2009 12 PM Steven walks back by the camera
December 13, 2009 Afternoon Steven spoke to GW and told him he was in Las Vegas (I’m trying to get the exact time)
December 14, 2009 St George police report that Steven’s phone dialed his voice mail box.
December 15, 2009 Parking authority in Sun City called Steven’s cell and left a message about his car.
December 16, 2009 Parking authority leaves Steven’s mother, Deanne, a message about abandoned car.
December 17, 2009 Deanne retrieves message.

Naegle, thank you so much for posting again. I was worried we'd scared you off! Glad to see that isn't the case, and that you have the sort of determination and open-mindedness to help solve this case for Steven. His case has really gotten under my skin, as I'm usually more of a lurker than poster. Please let the rest of the family know that Steven and you all are in the thoughts and prayers of many.

I am not holding this information back because it's imbarassing to the family or because it suggests something we refuse to consider! I'm holding back this ONE fact because while you all are trying to help, Joe Shmoe, who may have given Steven a good knock on the head inflicting amnesia, may be on this thread too. The police have this info and are checking into it and askes us not to make it public. When they give the go ahead I'd love to hear your speculations about it. No one has mentioned this fact since I last posted.

Please don't feel like you have to walk on eggshells because I'm here. This thread is painful to read sometimes, but I'm still here because you are all so clever. I'm so sorry I haven't said this before, but THANK YOU! You are all bringing up some excellent points that I'm trying to pass on even if there are a few wild suggestions. I recognize that even the uncomfortable speculations are important to explore. Please, bear with me. I'm trying to be logical when all I want to do is hide in a corner and cry.

Carry on! I have a lot to say so I'm going to break up my posts.

Thank you, Naegle. Hmmm - amnesia is something we haven't really explored. I assume the family and/or LE has checked with all the hospitals and homeless shelters in the area?

Naegle... 2 questions.

The GW phone call was after Steven was seen on video? I did not know that... now I'm baffled again.

Do you know the date and time the police report was filed? That info is for the Astro's here on another thread.

Sorry, don't mean to sound short, but I know others will have questions too.

--------------

Fairy1 - I don't think Naegle meant amnesia literally? Did you Naegle? (That's 3 questions now).

I was talking to a friend of mine who is a therapist about steven. She said that there is a very rare condition called dissociative fugue. below is the description of the disorder

Interesting! I've wondered if there were mental disorders that might have happened. Steven isn't clinically bipolar and aside from being mildly depressed about the job situ he hasn't been diagnosed with anything. BUT Steven is almost famous for talking and walking/acting in his sleep. I remember a story from family legend where Steven challenged a big burly guy (who was a guest of Steven's roommate) to a fight while he was asleep. He remembered nothing about it when he woke up. Could this be a warning sign of something more serious?

This is the timeline I've compiled using the FB discussion and other facts.
November 13, 2009 Attended a wedding reception in Woods Cross. Saw and spoke to MR
November 30, 2009 Steven went to see the St George temple lights for a family home evening activity.
December 6, 2009 Steven talked with SS at church. He set up an appointment to home teach her on December 13 at 7PM.
December 7, 2009 Steven sat by SS at a Christmas dinner. Steven asked her to display his window washing flyers at her work.
December 8, 2009 Steven went to Ruby Valley, Nevada to visit Annemarie and her family. He mentioned he might be going to Sacramento.
December 10, 2009 Stopped for gas at a Flying J in Springville, Utah
December 12 , 2009 Stopped for gas and snacks at Shell Oil in Mesquite, Nevada
December 12, 2009 JS saw Steven leave his apartment in St George at 10:30
December 13, 2009 11AM Paul Doxey called Steven from a PEC meeting to ask if he could attend a meeting that night. Steven replied that he was in Las Vegas, but could get back to St George for the meeting.
December 13, 2009 11:56 AM Steven drives by the camera
December 13, 2009 12 PM Steven walks back by the camera
December 13, 2009 Afternoon Steven spoke to GW and told him he was in Las Vegas (I’m trying to get the exact time)
December 14, 2009 St George police report that Steven’s phone dialed his voice mail box.
December 15, 2009 Parking authority in Sun City called Steven’s cell and left a message about his car.
December 16, 2009 Parking authority leaves Steven’s mother, Deanne, a message about abandoned car.
December 17, 2009 Deanne retrieves message.

Thank you! So, he stopped for gas and snacks in Mesquite on 12/12 and it was Paul Doxey who asked Steve to attend the meeting on his behalf - not GW? And GW spoke to Steve LATER that afternoon? Sheesh! What did they discuss? What did Steve tell Paul Doxey?

My head is spinning!

"Webb said he asked Koecher to attend a church meeting in his place that day at 11 a.m."

How could Webb ask Steven to go to the 11:00 a.m. meeting that day if he didn't call him until afternoon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Susielarios