NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
With respect to the "perfect disappearance" theory, I beg to differ.

IMO, Steven could easily have gone off the grid. We have been told his desires are simple and there are plenty of folks in Vegas (or anywhere for that matter) that would employ him "under the table."

I just don't believe he would have to be a mastermind to pull it off.

I think a "perfect disappearance" is different than being homeless and living on the streets. The street person isn't anonymous or "off the grid".
They are known to the police, homeless shelters, soup kitchens, and others who provide the services they depend on.

Those "plenty of people" who'd pay him to work, could also have been in St George...if he'd actually gone knocking on doors, rather than sending out emails and generating stacks of applications. I think it'd be much harder for a homeless person to get work, than someone with a home and car.

But that's just me.

I think a "perfect disappearance" is different than being homeless and living on the streets. The street person isn't anonymous or "off the grid".
They are known to the police, homeless shelters, soup kitchens, and others who provide the services they depend on.

Those "plenty of people" who'd pay him to work, could also have been in St George...if he'd actually gone knocking on doors, rather than sending out emails and generating stacks of applications. I think it'd be much harder for a homeless person to get work, than someone with a home and car.

But that's just me.

I see your point.

I guess I'm not really thinking of him as being homeless. If he's rooming with someone else and all the utilities and such are in their name, he could be contributing financially, but nothing is tied to Steven. KWIM?

Thank you for finding that post! It was driving me crazy last night and I knew I hadn't imagined it!

One more thought....I know we've discussed Steven's passport many times, but has the subject of his birth certificate ever come up? I don't recall that it ever has. I'm wondering if Steven had it with him in St. George or if his Mom kept it for him. Also wonder if LE or the PI could find out if "anyone" has requested a copy since Steven went missing.

Sorry! I can't remember who posted it and now I can't find it! It was recently, though.

I see your point.

I guess I'm not really thinking of him as being homeless. If he's rooming with someone else and all the utilities and such are in their name, he could be contributing financially, but nothing is tied to Steven. KWIM?
Thank you for finding that post! It was driving me crazy last night and I knew I hadn't imagined it!

One more thought....I know we've discussed Steven's passport many times, but has the subject of his birth certificate ever come up? I don't recall that it ever has. I'm wondering if Steven had it with him in St. George or if his Mom kept it for him. Also wonder if LE or the PI could find out if "anyone" has requested a copy since Steven went missing.

Where are you going with this? (I'm brain-dead this morning!) What would his own birth certificate enable him to do, if he was trying to hide his identity?

He wouldn't need it to obtain a duplicate passport, because they send you back all the documentation to do that, with your renewal (which he recently had done).

If he's living off grid somewhere, I hope it's not in LV. Summer's coming and it's very harsh.

...and it's not an area where you can scavenge for mushrooms and other fresh vegetables growing in the wild (like the "free food" guy in the UK does).

We talked a few months ago, about the guy in Moab, Utah who lives "off the grid" in a cave (but actually, is dependent on the charity of others). He relies on others to drive him places, to save old food for him, and to not report him for squatting on private/public lands.

It'd be hard to do anonymously -- and it's always looked like it'd be harder to do, than just getting a job and paying your own way ;) I wish Canyon1 would check in, because I'm guessing that she has acquaintances who live "off the grid".

I THINK, and this is just my guess, that if Steven left on his own accord, he'd want to go somewhere warmer than St George -- and perhaps with a South American-type climate. That would mean areas of Southern California, or the Deep South of the US.

Where are you going with this? (I'm brain-dead this morning!) What would his own birth certificate enable him to do, if he was trying to hide his identity?

He wouldn't need it to obtain a duplicate passport, because they send you back all the documentation to do that, with your renewal (which he recently had done).

I don't believe he is intentionally hiding his identity, but rather just hiding himself from those who know him. But that's JMO.

I ask about the birth certificate for two reasons:

1) Folks who are taking a short road trip and plan to return don't generally need nor take with them documents such as a birth certificate.

2) Sending for a duplicate BC would indicate some activity since disappearing - which has not been the case with more obvious tracks, such as bank or credit card activity.

...and it's not an area where you can scavenge for mushrooms and other fresh vegetables growing in the wild (like the "free food" guy in the UK does).

Exactly. Trying to get a garden to grow here takes a lot of work!

I THINK, and this is just my guess, that if Steven left on his own accord, he'd want to go somewhere warmer than St George -- and perhaps with a South American-type climate. That would mean areas of Southern California, or the Deep South of the US.

Well, he was a missionary in Brazil, right? But of course, he'd need a passport to go that far south. Mexico is easy to get into, though. Crossing the border in California is easy-peasy.

I don't believe he is intentionally hiding his identity, but rather just hiding himself from those who know him. But that's JMO.

I ask about the birth certificate for two reasons:

1) Folks who are taking a short road trip and plan to return don't generally need nor take with them documents such as a birth certificate.
Nor do people taking long road trips, moving cross-country or visiting another country. (I always have my passport with me, because we never know if we'll have to go to another country while already away from home ... but that's an unusual case.)
2) Sending for a duplicate BC would indicate some activity since disappearing - which has not been the case with more obvious tracks, such as bank or credit card activity.

Here's the procedures for the City of Amarillo, Texas Department of Vital Statistics and procedural details.

I'm not sure why he'd need that, though, unless he was applying for a duplicate passport - in which case we're back to the US Department of State being queried for activity.

Exactly. Trying to get a garden to grow here takes a lot of work!

Well, he was a missionary in Brazil, right? But of course, he'd need a passport to go that far south. Mexico is easy to get into, though. Crossing the border in California is easy-peasy.

...and you only need your passport to return. But from there? He need the passport.

When he renewed his passport, he'd have been sent additional certified paperwork for use in reporting loss and obtaining a duplicate. Who knows where that additional paperwork is.

Just because they found his passport, doesn't mean he couldn't have obtained a duplicate.

True, but wouldn't there be a record of him getting a duplicate passport? I wonder how someone could find out that information.

Yes, there'd be a record. Passports are a function of the US Department of State.

We talked about this back in January after it was revealed that the (later-found) passport was "missing", and the family didn't want to involve the government: q&a page.

I did send information and links back, that no one else *but* the Department of State would be able to check on passport usage/status. I'm hoping the information was passed along and used.

(This is good to bring up again, since most here didn't see the original discussions.)

But that's just me.

*Some* homeless people are known to those kinds of people. Maybe most. (Speaking of which, do we have Steven listed on the homeless shelters network?)

There's also a lot of room between having a regular job and apartment and living on the street. There are old-style communes and new-style urban squatters, ecovillages, plain old bums and panhandlers, couch surfers, undocumented workers of all kinds, gypsies and formerly middle-class people whose homes were foreclosed on living out of Volvo station wagons. They're there because they've lost their homes, can't handle middle-class life, drink too much, want to reduce their carbon footprint, want to practice their religious values, want to avoid the coming apocalypse, are seeking a simpler lifestyle, just want to see the country and live off the land for a while, can't get a work permit, are too lazy to work, just want to be somewhere else. You usually can't tell by looking which one's which, where they're going, or what they're up to.

Obviously Steven doesn't fall into every one of those categories, but he might be travelling or living with or beside some of them, or following the same path, or otherwise crossing paths. It's a big big world out there.

*Some* homeless people are known to those kinds of people. Maybe most. (Speaking of which, do we have Steven listed on the homeless shelters network?)

His information and a flyer was left at all of the Vegas shelters. Is there an interconnected network? It'd be great.

There's also a lot of room between having a regular job and apartment and living on the street. There are old-style communes and new-style urban squatters, ecovillages, plain old bums and panhandlers, couch surfers, undocumented workers of all kinds, gypsies and formerly middle-class people whose homes were foreclosed on living out of Volvo station wagons. They're there because they've lost their homes, can't handle middle-class life, drink too much, want to reduce their carbon footprint, want to practice their religious values, want to avoid the coming apocalypse, are seeking a simpler lifestyle, just want to see the country and live off the land for a while, can't get a work permit, are too lazy to work, just want to be somewhere else. You usually can't tell by looking which one's which, where they're going, or what they're up to.

Obviously Steven doesn't fall into every one of those categories, but he might be travelling or living with or beside some of them, or following the same path, or otherwise crossing paths. It's a big big world out there.[/QUOTE]

There's ways to do it, for sure.

I have a relative who moved in with a military couple, on a military base, with her two children, and lived there for two year's as the military wife's "sister". The military member "adopted" her children, and that gave them free health care, courtesy of the US Army.

But there was a previous relationship (they'd been neighbors).

another technique at the disposal of an invested LE or detective is to do a status check-they basically run his DL and SSN through. For any of you who are cold case junkies, Tammy Lynn Leppert went missing a long time ago and LE has twice found people using her ID. Neither were her, but it is another way of trying to track identification....

Thanks. I guess you just answered your own question, because he's not listed there. :angel:

Is that a legitimate, active website that's used by shelters?

I'm curious because there's no listing for anyone who's been reported missing since 2007....and their "food bank" listings are full of blatantly false info.

It's part of octopigroup, who owns over 100 websites (some of which I've run into before), most of which are basically stagnant like http://www.localthriftshops.org/st/utah. They don't generate content; they just ask people to sign up (datamine email addresses) to do the work for them.

(I'm only asking, because when you and I were looking for "similar cases", we found many websites that still listed people whose cases had been closed.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuriousNelly61