NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will try to make my point as diplomatically as possible with regards to this so-called private investigator:

unless he was given a complete copy of Steven's hard drive, I would have refused to take the case, end of story. However, since I think the family keeps secrets I doubt he got all the info.

I wonder who has been paying this guy all this time? He is saying on FB that all leads have led to nothing, yet when he was gathering publicity for the search of the field he made it seem like it was extremely reliable information that his body was out there.

He is now asking on FB for "whoever" to give him the information he needs to crack the case. Why pay someone to post that? Steven's family could have done that from day one at no cost.

IIRC, he is working pro bono. But I, too, find it a bit hard to swallow that a "credible" lead had us poking around in that desert looking for Steven's remains over 3 months ago and yet here we are today.

Not criticizing, just sayin.

Who and what are we going to pressure on? What more do we need to look at? What are things that are bugging us? What have we been afraid to say, and now might be a good time to express it, even if we think people might think we are bizarre? (at this point, who cares?) Who are the people that are stuck in our heads, we need to keep focused on?

I know we can keep going, and help find Steven, he is somewhere! Come on you that know him, or know something, you friends, give us some thoughts. Any tidbit helps.

Yes, this sounds somewhat like what the PI is saying. And I will say it again, someone knows something, please come forward. How could you live with yourself if you do know something that would help in this case.

What I believe, this started in St. George. You that know Steven, think back about anything that may have been something he said, he did, people he talked about.

I will try to make my point as diplomatically as possible with regards to this so-called private investigator:

unless he was given a complete copy of Steven's hard drive, I would have refused to take the case, end of story. However, since I think the family keeps secrets I doubt he got all the info.

I wonder who has been paying this guy all this time? He is saying on FB that all leads have led to nothing, yet when he was gathering publicity for the search of the field he made it seem like it was extremely reliable information that his body was out there.

He is now asking on FB for "whoever" to give him the information he needs to crack the case. Why pay someone to post that? Steven's family could have done that from day one at no cost.

I do not believe Steven's family is hiding anything. They want to find him. So do we. 'Nough said.

We need to be mindful of people's feelings here. A lovely family is missing someone they love. We should voice our opinions and discuss our theories, but we don't have to accuse people unnecessarily.

I respect your opinions and am impressed that you have held fast to your beliefs as to what happened to Steven since day 1. But can't we please be respectful of those who love Steven and want to find him?

Why would the family have something to hide? They just want to know where their son is. You think the family keeps secrets? Could you please explain why you think they keep secrets?

The PI is probably trying to cover every situation that might know something about Steven. Like FB, and probably everything sk was involved with. Probaly hoping that someone might come forward. Hey, it doesen't hurt to ask.

Steven has wonderful parents, and siblings,cousins,aunts,uncles,and many others that care deeply about him. They want him home.

Why would the family have something to hide? They just want to know where their son is. You think the family keeps secrets? Could you please explain why you think they keep secrets?

The PI is probably trying to cover every situation that might know something about Steven. Like FB, and probably everything sk was involved with. Probaly hoping that someone might come forward. Hey, it doesen't hurt to ask.

Steven has wonderful parents, and siblings,cousins,aunts,uncles,and many others that care deeply about him. They want him home.

I am not going to go back and try to find every post where people have commented how the family has not disclosed information. There is the guy here (I forget his screen name) who is or was a reporter who was given ONLY emails from one account that was used mostly for jobs.

There has been some suggestion by a few that Steven may have been taking medication or that he suffered from some medical condition. No official confirmation on either.

Many people have asked ad nauseum if there were any usage history for sites like mapquest (which might have yielded a destination address), others have inquired about whether he ever visited dating websites, or other sites of interest. The only stock response we got was that, and I am parapharasing, "there was nothing on the computer that explained why he was in Henderson that day".

I've been around the block a few times and what that says to me is that there is stuff on that hard drive that the family considers embarassing. (Come to think of it, whose hard drive does not contain something that someone else might not consider embarassing)? I'm sure my family would be embarassed by what they might find on my hard drive.

However, if someone is missing, all of that information is helpful in trying to answer the question of what happened to the loved one. So there is a choice - save face publicly and withhold or let the info out there. Mind you, what is on Steven's hard drive is no reflection on the Koecher family. It was Steven's hard drive not theirs.

It was either late last year or early this year when some actor was missing up in Vacouver and the family, very concerned about his well being, was very open about his psychiatric condition. Sadly the guy was found dead, I think a suicide. However, they wanted people to know their son's mental state due to the urgency of it, people looked and someone found a body.

I have said this before and I'll say it again as these threads have gotten very long. No family has any obligation to disseminate any information to the public. However, when asking the public's help, the least they can do is share information that might help bring him or his body home. In other words, unless people know where to look, then no one is going to find out what happened to him.

I am not going to go back and try to find every post where people have commented how the family has not disclosed information. There is the guy here (I forget his screen name) who is or was a reporter who was given ONLY emails from one account that was used mostly for jobs.

There has been some suggestion by a few that Steven may have been taking medication or that he suffered from some medical condition. No official confirmation on either.

Many people have asked ad nauseum if there were any usage history for sites like mapquest (which might have yielded a destination address), others have inquired about whether he ever visited dating websites, or other sites of interest. The only stock response we got was that, and I am parapharasing, "there was nothing on the computer that explained why he was in Henderson that day".

I've been around the block a few times and what that says to me is that there is stuff on that hard drive that the family considers embarassing. (Come to think of it, whose hard drive does not contain something that someone else might not consider embarassing)? I'm sure my family would be embarassed by what they might find on my hard drive.

However, if someone is missing, all of that information is helpful in trying to answer the question of what happened to the loved one. So there is a choice - save face publicly and withhold or let the info out there. Mind you, what is on Steven's hard drive is no reflection on the Koecher family. It was Steven's hard drive not theirs.

It was either late last year or early this year when some actor was missing up in Vacouver and the family, very concerned about his well being, was very open about his psychiatric condition. Sadly the guy was found dead, I think a suicide. However, they wanted people to know their son's mental state due to the urgency of it, people looked and someone found a body.

I have said this before and I'll say it again as these threads have gotten very long. No family has any obligation to disseminate any information to the public. However, when asking the public's help, the least they can do is share information that might help bring him or his body home. In other words, unless people know where to look, then no one is going to find out what happened to him.

I am sure, that if there is any "embarrassing info", that the family has given it to the PI. These people want their son found. They are not going to with hold info from him..come on, they are not stupid. If they wanted to hide or with hold, they would not have hired him. If they had info, they would share, if they thought the info would help. They are stumped, PI is, police are, and we are.

If there was info to give to the public, that would help bring sk home, they would give it.

Have you seen on his sk's FB page how many relatives are involved in this search? He has a BIG family who cares.

Yes, many of us have things on our computors that others would think is dumb, or shocking. And I think that the family and the PI have covered it.

Hi...recent article on missing persons cases in Las Vegas area....mentions 69 year old lady and another is a 40 year old man who's car was found on Mt. Charleston. I already knew about the lady, but the missing man is new to me. In trying to find out what the similarities might be to Steven, I found a My Space that has some basic information about him.... So far, nothing looks the same.
I do hope I am not repeating information already discussed.

http://www.8newsnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=12631570

http://blogs.myspace.com/killerspikes1

Hi...recent article on missing persons cases in Las Vegas area....mentions 69 year old lady and another is a 40 year old man who's car was found on Mt. Charleston. I already knew about the lady, but the missing man is new to me. In trying to find out what the similarities might be to Steven, I found a My Space that has some basic information about him.... So far, nothing looks the same.
I do hope I am not repeating information already discussed.

http://www.8newsnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=12631570

http://blogs.myspace.com/killerspikes1

I've heard of the woman's case, but the guy whose car was found in the Mt Charleston area is new to me. The myspace page might have a huge clue in it: "homey". (That screams gang-related.)

Here's the actual post from swjaxon. SK used the same email address for everything and had used it for years (even online).

I only remember one person (gsmith) discussing Steven taking a drug, and gsmith didn't even know what it was. It may have been an herbal "supplement" (ultra-common in Utah) for all we know.
Yes, there's been speculation about ADD or something like that -- but that's by us here, and we're not witnesses to Steven.

I'm sorry, but why was that a wrong answer? Is it possible he just DROVE there, or had written directions? Or....that whoever gave him the directions, was part of a face-to-face conversation?

As for dating site(s), yes. That's been discussed here for months. Using his email address, I've been able to trace him to two lds-related sites, but no others. He had an eBay account, too. And the FB account. He really didn't use the computer much -- which is the truth.

I'd be more suspicious of what's on the Washington County library's computers, than his own. Why? Because it'd be traceable, since he'd have to log on with his library account.

....and if there is such information, we have no right to it. If there's something there they're unhappy with, it would have been discovered during the forensic scanning of the computer. Then, it would have been out of the family's control on how to use the info. If there's something, it's logical that the PI has it.

You're thinking of Andrew Koenig.
Koenig's friends found his body, because they knew where he'd go to commit suicide. He'd practically rented a billboard saying what he was going to do (wrote a despondent letter to his father, gave his belongings away, went to Vancouver where he loved Stanley Park).

What help have they asked us for (besides providing people to help in the April 10th search)? They didn't ask us to come here to WS, they don't read WS. Really. We really are "working" independent of them.

I guess the bottom line is this: those who've expressed displeasure with the PI's efforts are those who believe Steven left of his own accord and is off living happily with Rich Daddy Warbucks. The rest of us believe something more sinister took place, and that Steven is no longer alive.

I think we can all respect each other's ideas and scenarios, while having respect for the family and those trying to help them.

I know that the search in April was was based on a tip that indicated someone placed Steven's body in that area. Obviously, that would point to foul play. Yet there has been no increased sense of urgency in the investigation in terms of LE involvement. No further press. No further searches. Just nothing.

If the tip was bogus and they know that now, I wish they would say so. If the possible involvement or knowledge of someone has come to light, where is LE? I wouldn't expect them to reveal who they suspect or why. It's common in investigations for LE to play things close to the vest. But here, LE seems to have the same lack of concern they've had since the beginning.

Is there an indication of foul play or not?

I know that the search in April was was based on a tip that indicated someone placed Steven's body in that area. Obviously, that would point to foul play. Yet there has been no increased sense of urgency in the investigation in terms of LE involvement. No further press. No further searches. Just nothing.

If the tip was bogus and they know that now, I wish they would say so. If the possible involvement or knowledge of someone has come to light, where is LE? I wouldn't expect them to reveal who they suspect or why. It's common in investigations for LE to play things close to the vest. But here, LE seems to have the same lack of concern they've had since the beginning.

Is there an indication of foul play or not?

But how do you know a tip is bogus, until it's acted upon? It was apparently reliable enough to generate the search.

Like the IHOP tip: until the family went and talked to the workers and found out everyone was talking about a different person, it seemed reliable. Reliable enough that you went there yourself and scouted (which was very much appreciated).

LE's not going to spend much time working on a case where they see a video showing a healthy person walking down a street -- especially when the family insists that it is their missing son.

But how do you know a tip is bogus, until it's acted upon? It was apparently reliable enough to generate the search.

Like the IHOP tip: until the family went and talked to the workers and found out everyone was talking about a different person, it seemed reliable. Reliable enough that you went there yourself and scouted (which was very much appreciated).

LE's not going to spend much time working on a case where they see a video showing a healthy person walking down a street -- especially when the family insists that it is their missing son.

I don't mean to imply the tip was known to be bogus at the time of the search, but discovered to have been since. I assume they know from whom the tip came and followed-up in some manner after the search.

Yes, I went (and sometimes still do!) to the IHOP. Also checked out SCA, Craig and MLK, Deseret Industries, worked the search and, just last weekend spent a good deal of time in the Whitney Ranch area. Fasteddy4 has also been all over town looking for Steven or something that will lead to Steven.

I will go wherever there's a chance - no matter how slim. I JUST NEED TO KNOW WHERE TO LOOK! Because I'm still looking for a live Steven. I'm here everyday. It's not a big deal for me to change my route home from work or to do my shopping in Henderson or to chat with the lovely folks at IHOP, while having a sandwich. I can do these things and there are others here who would too.

And just so ya know I'm not completely closed-minded to the possibility that Steven is not alive......The day of the search, I had actually planned to go, with my family, to the county fair in Logandale - which is very close to Overton (ping point!). I figured if he was around there, he'd check out the fair like everyone else! Instead, I spent the day looking for his bones in the desert.

So there! :crazy:

Just sayin' - there is an army, of sorts, at the ready. Yet we've not been called upon.

And, as I've said for ages, an even bigger army - the LDS members in Vegas - that has never even been tapped.

Now, why would that be?

IDK.

It's all about resources. Six months in, you'd think every resource would be employed.

I don't care who finds Steven or how, I just want him to be found. I'm pretty sure his family feels the same way.

Wow I have not been on here in a long time, but some of you might remember me. I had stopped checking in, honestly, because we never really got anywhere. And while that seems like a horrible excuse to give up on this case, I can't give a better reason.

I am glad to see that the same "faces" are here though and lots of new ones to still try to crack Steven's case and find him. One question to you all who have been faithfully here...I read that the recent search had found "large bones" in the desert. What is the deal with this? Do we know more? I was trying to read the forums leading up to that date and after, but the volume is just really too much. The last time I was on here I think we were on thread #7 or so and now it has doubled!

So kudos, props, high-fives to all who have been here religiously. I know his family is truly thankful for people like you. :)

Wow I have not been on here in a long time, but some of you might remember me. I had stopped checking in, honestly, because we never really got anywhere. And while that seems like a horrible excuse to give up on this case, I can't give a better reason.

I am glad to see that the same "faces" are here though and lots of new ones to still try to crack Steven's case and find him. One question to you all who have been faithfully here...I read that the recent search had found "large bones" in the desert. What is the deal with this? Do we know more? I was trying to read the forums leading up to that date and after, but the volume is just really too much. The last time I was on here I think we were on thread #7 or so and now it has doubled!

So kudos, props, high-fives to all who have been here religiously. I know his family is truly thankful for people like you. :)

The search was April 10. IIRC, there were no large bones found - only small bone fragments that, I guess, were of no importance.

We have heard very little since that search. Sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelpingHandz