NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - # 5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was he really "old friends" with AN's family? All I can see, is one visit to that family ranch in April 2008....around the time he and AN (both living in SLC at the time) dated "a few times".
I don't see him being friends with roomie Z at all, unless Z was able to talk him into doing something.

How many physical contacts would he possibly have had, in St George, in those last days?

The landlord - did they ever get together, maybe on the 12th?
Boss T - last on the 8th?

Would he need to be friends in order to help? If somebody he knew came to him and said, for instance, "I need help finding a clinic where I can go to get off these drugs," he'd try to offer advice and maybe give him a ride or something?

Laytonian,
Really like your pro and con list idea ; it's great.

One more con thought for Steven leaving either with someone, or by himself. of his own volition : I believe he would have contacted either his mother, or his sister, or both, at Christmas. Assuming he was able to do that. Nothing whatsoever in everything we have heard about Steven makes me believe he would have cut them off.
However, here is a pro idea : let's assume he met someone special who was living in Vegas. They clicked,and planned to leave the area together. Steven could have taken some of his clothing,personal items to his lover's place already.
His seeming downward spiral could have also indicated the apprehension of the huge step he was about to take. His lover could have promised to take care of him.
Although I DO NOT think this happened in this case, my husband reminded me of someone we knew who actually did this. He was married,one evening he told his wife he was going out to get some gum.And he never came back to her.He had met someone, and his stuff was over at her house. The new woman worked and took care of him for 6 months or so ; he eventually married this woman. Yes, she got a real winner..... Just to show it can happen. But, I don't think it happened to Steven.

Thanks. What you're suggesting is speculation, so I've added a tag to explain that a ? means the statement is speculative.

Because it's not a known fact that Steven would have contacted his parents at Christmas. (I think, in a malicious disappearance, it's timed before such a holiday just to make such a point.) Malicious disappearance sounds like a cruel term, but it's often the only hopeful outcome.

Would he need to be friends in order to help? If somebody he knew came to him and said, for instance, "I need help finding a clinic where I can go to get off these drugs," he'd try to offer advice and maybe give him a ride or something?

I think it would have had to have been a close church friend who didn't want to go to the Bishopric. Otherwise, why would a not-so-close acquaintance approach him? Because they already wanted to harm him?

I just can't buy into the "steven just walked away" theory. Why would he need to? He really had no responsibillities to run from (no kids, annoying wife, etc.). I am sure he was feeling the impact of lack of job, new city, etc. But nothing I see has him voluntarily disapperaing. I think he would understand the impact of that on his family and from what I understand about his personality, this would have caused him more stress in his "new" life. If he wanted to be with another person and start a life, he could have done it. I think it would have been easier for him to just face his family with his plans rather than such an elaborate scheme. A new life they didn't agree with might certainly cause some discomfort in the family, but not anywhere near what him disappearing would cause. He would have to know this, I assume.

Makes me wonder if he was running "to" something that didn't turn out the way he thought...as some have mentioned maybe a quick money scheme, etc. that he was naive about and too trusting. And that during this, met with foul play. But would he have lived a life that put him in contact with unsavory characters? Maybe in Vegas? This is why I would love to know more about GW. I can't get past this question of why they were both there at the same time....very odd coincidence if you ask me (and I know, many others here).

The question of suicide is out there and I can see him going elsewhere to do this because he wouldn't want to be found by someone he knows. But how would he do it? And I can't imagine then that he would be too far from his car.

I still do believe it is Steven on the tape. And I'm not sure if someone in the neighborhood has anything to do with it. I'd lean more towards a friend, visitor, or possibly a worker at one of the places having some part in it.

On the issue of the passport, do we know it is for sure "missing" now? I know that my mother would only know I had one and now we can't find it. Doesn't mean I didn't lose it a while ago - maybe in the move or something. It could have been gone long before he disappeared. On the other hand, if he was using it to provide proof of citizenship, then that wouldn't necessarily be tracked - but if a job was on the up and up enough, then we'd see something pop up for social security, one would think. Or tax records of some sort.

I know this has already been said in one form or another, but I've been gone on vacation and checking back in and wanted to pipe up.

I hope Steven is found, and soon. I don't know why this case is so captivating, but I can't stop thinking about it.

I do think the jury room idea by believe9 was a good idea.:truce: But I don't know how to use it, being a newbie.

"Hey, guys -- have you thought of trying this?" Wouldn't we all have jumped at that opportunity? I would have!
Why?
Because I'd previously asked if there was a secure place (some sites call them "the playground") here for us to speculate in .... and no one replied.

Navigating WS, for a newcomer, can be tough. Just the other day, down near the bottom of a page, I saw something called "read this first".

There really wasn't any evidence that the roommate, "Z" used/sold anything other than weed, was there? I really don't think people go to clinics to 'get off' weed. It's so commonly used these days, it's almost like tobacco.
If Z or someone else he knew asked for help for anything though, or a ride somewhere, I'm sure Steven would have given it. But then why didn't he come back? And where is the person who asked for help?

I just can't buy into the "steven just walked away" theory.

That's low on my mental list, too. KCN's described him as "not devious enough (to pull off what some have described as "the perfect disappearance."

Makes me wonder if he was running "to" something that didn't turn out the way he thought...as some have mentioned maybe a quick money scheme, etc. that he was naive about and too trusting. And that during this, met with foul play. But would he have lived a life that put him in contact with unsavory characters? Maybe in Vegas?

Right now, with the economy busted, they don't have to be the standard unsavory type. A group of nice people with money problems, could fall into a scheme....and the patsy ends up getting hurt.
Or perhaps a payday lender is involved...threatening.

I hope Steven is found, and soon. I don't know why this case is so captivating, but I can't stop thinking about it.

Me, neither.

I just can't buy into the "steven just walked away" theory. Why would he need to? He really had no responsibillities to run from (no kids, annoying wife, etc.).

That is precisely why in my book Steven was an EXCELLENT candidate to make a clean break - he had NOTHING to lose.

I think it would have had to have been a close church friend who didn't want to go to the Bishopric. Otherwise, why would a not-so-close acquaintance approach him? Because they already wanted to harm him?

Because everybody knows he's a nice guy and a helpful guy? And he seems to have had a wide circle of friends.

I mentioned Z or a female friend in a troubled marriage as examples of the kind of thing I was thinking of, not specific theories. But in that situation, somebody might wish him harm. Any of the women who he dated who have subsequently married, for instance, could be in marital trouble, and possessive jealous husbands can be dangerous. I once had a guy threaten me with bodily harm in the freezer aisle at the grocery store because I had given his wife a ride to the doctor's office.

I don't think Steven broke that attachment he had to his family in 7 months. Even if he was on the outs with some of his family, he was likely tight with some others in his family.Isn't that the dynamic of large families ?
It always seems to come down to : what was Steven doing in Vegas.And then, logically, what was GW doing in Vegas at the same time ?

GW GW GW. That's all I have to say right now. :crazy:

If not said in the proper context.....you might have scared the bjeez out them Fasteddy. LOL I wonder if they'll be back in your neighborhood again? Poor guys.:waitasec:

Never thought of it that way. But that's funny. I suppose it would be a good way to keep them out of the neighborhood. Gotta write that one down.

Sorry I haven't been posting recently but other duties call. I am continuing to read all of the posts even though I may not be posting personally. But a brief thought:

I truly believe that the answer to what happened to Steven is "out there". And I don't mean that in an X-Files type of way. But there is a news story, a website, a Facebook page, a blog. . .something like that, that may not seem related to Steven at all but hold the key to solving this. Very much like how some serial killers have been caught, it is usually something not having to do with any particular crime that leads police to the killer. . .a license plate, a nosy neighbor, a jilted lover, a chance meeting.

It just seems to me that whoever did this to Steven (and I do believe somebody did something to him) has done this before. Maybe Trevor Morse is another victim of the same person. Maybe it's a guy who disappeared in another city. Maybe it's a mysterious death the whole way over on the East Coast. Whoever did this to Steven was not participating in a "one time" thing. Somebody who feasts on desperate people, specifically men.

It will be two months on Saturday. I have read some posts about how Steven disappeared on his own because he wanted to escape. Escape from what exactly? If you want to make your life even more difficult than it is, try dropping out of society. You can't use your Social Security #. You have to get a whole new identity and stick it to it. You cant' talk to even one person you used to know. You have to meet totally new people. You can't get a bank account.

Yes, there are people who steal people's identities but these people don't start living a whole new life. They still have the same shady friends, they still go to the same places, they still can go by whatever name they want including their real one, they carry on like always but the big difference is that when they buy something they use somebody else's ID. These people don't "drop out" like Steven has supposedly done.

Steven, if he was dropping out, would have it doubly difficult trying to manage a new ID with a whole new life where his old life would be "dead to him". The whole thing just seems to "out there" and would surely be more difficult than any situation that he was in prior to Dec. 13.

I don't want to go O/T here - but I urge everyone to visit the Nicholas Francisco thread tonight and look at his interview. I've mentioned him here before as an example of someone who does just walk away. He had two small children and another baby on the way when he disappeared. He was very involved in his church prior to going missing. They found his car shortly after he disappeared - and IIRC, his laptop was in it.

Check it out - it does happen.

I think this is the first time I have posted on this thread, but have been watching for awhile.
The basic reason is, I am not able to get a "feel" of this case from the facts that are known.
I would also get more info about GW - it is weird that they were both in Las Vegas, and the basketball game phone call is strange as well.
Ok, I'll just tell you, on gut feelings only what I think.
SK seemed as if he was becoming more isolated from his family. It seems like he had few close friends, few who actually spoke with him on a daily basis, who knew him well - his dreams, hopes, and future plans.
I can't figure out why he was doing all that driving around.
But IMO he somehow met up with someone who he wanted to go with, possibly romantically, possibly religiously, maybe just a promise of a more meaningful life.
That person he met/was to meet up with in Las Vegas.
Here is where it is mixed up in my mind - was he preyed upon as a vulnerable victim for a predator? A con-man? A sociopath with homicidal intentions?
Thanks for listening, just thinking out loud. Love this forum - here we can do that!:crazy:

Fairy,
Two small children and a baby on the way is just too much for a lot of guys..... But, Steven had no such responsibilities.

I don't want to go O/T here - but I urge everyone to visit the Nicholas Francisco thread tonight and look at his interview. I've mentioned him here before as an example of someone who does just walk away. He had two small children and another baby on the way when he disappeared. He was very involved in his church prior to going missing. They found his car shortly after he disappeared - and IIRC, his laptop was in it.

Check it out - it does happen.

Nick's laptop was also missing.
http://nicholasfrancisco.blogspot.com/

That was considered the key to finding him; that's why they publicized the computer model and serial number.

Story link:
http://www.kirotv.com/news/22524605/detail.html
Video:
http://www.kirotv.com/video/22527581/index.html

He's got a cold, cold, heart. Francisco's an obvious sociopath, and likely was before he disappeared.

In addition with Nicholas Fransico, I did a search of his name and "secret life" and it came up with 15,000 hits. He had other bank accounts and, in retrospect, it looked like he had planned it for a while.

In any case, although the very general idea of a guy disappearing puts Nicholas and Steven in the same category, they are hardly similar cases. In fact, because of the secret accounts, there was a general idea among his searchers that he was still alive. I realize that there are some people here that think Steven is still alive but they believe it with much more sketchy evidence than the investigators did in the Nicholas case.

Nothing would make me happier than for Steven to appear on his parent's doorsteps with an explanation that he needed to get away for a while. But the evidence and the odds point to something else.

Oh, the irony...I actually found out about Steven by looking for updated info on Nicholas Francisco! I'm in Seattle, and know he was found a few months ago...but wanted to know if there were any further details.

I, like others, think this is a different situation. Nick was running from a wife, family, dogmatic church and had a secret life he wanted to run to. I don't see any of those things with SK. IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste