NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - # 5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know if there has been any other activity for Steven in the LV vicinity in the past. Bank or credit card ties to gas purchase, etc. Phone records?

Did he go to Vegas in the past---more or less parked the car and someone else drove or did someone else drive there with Steven as the passenger?

Who were the buddies he hung around with in St George to socialize? Did he go boating, water skiing, on a volleyball team there, etc? Was he involved in music outside of the church?

Did anyone in family ever visit in St. George while he was there?

Thinking out loud....

Some of the same questions I have asked - I hope that someone has been able to answer these now. :)

Hey guys...just stopping by to let you know. Ive called the Anthem ward with no answer :/ I will keep trying. I actually got called into work today as well so ive been a little crazy myself. Anyway, I printed off 100 copies of stevens flyer in hopes to post all over orem and provo this weekend (shhh dont tell work i used up half their ink! :yow:) I just tried again and no answer. Ill keep trying till i get someone on the line! Promise!

Great job, oh, the bishop usually not in the building on mondays (FHE Family home evening) - but they usually are there on TUES. WED. & sometimes THURS. I hope that helps & you probably already new all of this. let me know if you need any tag team help on the phone calls - happy to help you out or any of you for that matter - I may not be too smart sometimes, but I am a great helper when anyone asks ;)

Okay sorry for all the post today - I HAD to do my taxes:sick: today & trying to catch up on here.

Okay here's what I found on FB today - FINALLY the guy got back to everyone

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic=26927&post=458525&uid=225335012614#post458525

anyway that's my find today I know this was mentioned a few pages back - I think by Laytonian -there you go Layt. :D

:doh:
Edit: On my earlier post about the "known" facts I meant dec. 9 phone call with SK dad. (i said another date but meant 12/9/09) :blushing:

well not exactly.

Someone posted on one of these threads how some guy disappeared from PA about 4 years ago (IIRC) and his name popped up in the south. He was questioned by LE and his response was that he did not consider himself to be a missing person. He was not arrested as he committed no crime but LE did report back to the original LE jurisdiction that the guy was alive.

This is the guy they found in LA, right?
I could understand them telling the relatives that he was alive, but they even told them where he was, and placed it in the media. Maybe the family were *jerks* (lack of better word) or made his life a living he!! Maybe they were looking for him for *other* underlying reasons and not general concern. I don't think they should have done that--unless the MP was OK with it.

There's lots of home-based businesses that don't require the public to come to the location. But that kinda takes away the "job interview" thing?

I've been playing around tonight....just another way to organize information. This time, scenarios. I tried to remember everything that's been suggested here, then list the pros/cons. Anyone want to make suggestions?
http://sites.google.com/site/parallelcooler/home/koecher-html/scenarios

Great idea Lay. Let me think on that awhile.

A close friend would be a god-send in this case.

IMO the people posting on the facebook site aren't the type to post something that they feel is personal. Most of the posts are just the general "he was a good guy" kind of comment. It appears a lot of people knew him, but none of them knew him all that well. Naegle said she had set up some blind dates for Steven; I don't think she said how recent they were. I wonder if she could check with them to see if any had heard from Steven recently?

Seems like his closest friend may be the Tommy that has posted here, but even he had not been in close contact recently. I think the lack of close non-family contacts are one of the things that make this case so difficult. There aren't even any co-workers that saw Steven frequently.

I've wondered if it would be permissable to post specific questions on the facebook page for Steven....not sure if we would get answers or not.

I think it's worth a try. You would think they could come here and post anonymously with some speculation or concern. We are not here to judge Steven, just find him. Maybe they don't want to be the messenger?
Just as looking into the neighborhood where he disappeared, we aren't here to dig up dirt. Just some possible connection socially or for employment, etc.

Maybe he was single ward shopping? Are single people allowed to attend different singles wards for the socialization?
I keep thinking there may have been a holiday function of some kind that week-end that he wanted to attend, but I don't think they would have been on a Sunday. I couldn't find any past functions listed on the websites---they are too up-to-date. LOL LDS help here, please.

What do we need to know to move forward on this case?

• Phone pings before, on and after 12/13/09
  • Travel and work patterns prior to December, 2009
  • Calls made/received prior to going missing (verified)
What else?

I would just like to mention that we are still looking for missing man. We have no concrete reason to believe Steven is no longer with us - for whatever reason. I don't know why we would be attempting to dig up dirt on the people who live in the area where the car was found if there's still a question by some as to whether that actually was Steven on the video, whether he got into another car upon arrival or whether he actually went into a home in the area at all. To our knowledge, there is no POI or suspect in Steven's disappearance. And I'm fairly confident LE on this case has looked at the backgrounds of those in the neighborhood.

But perhaps that's just me.

BTW, I have been to that neighborhood and saw nothing that even remotely resembled a "business" where people would be coming and going.

Several business licenses give addresses in that neighborhood -- home-based or online businesses. The house nearest to where Steven parked is headquarters of a national mortgage consulting/brokering firm. They presumably don't have customers coming and going but might have subcontractors, consultants, or clients making occasional visits. That increases the number of people who might have seen Steven.

To me, when someone's missing, all options have to be considered, even if the odds are very remote. Hopefully many of them can be eliminated, but they have to be considered first.

And some of the thoughts go together. For instance, if that's not Steven in the video, that increases the likelihood that he met with foul play.

StillLooking : If you are reading this thread, I would really like to know if Steven had any visitors during the 7 months he lived at your house ? Specifically, did Greg Webb ever visit Steven there ? Did he have a regular routine ? I understand that you may not be able to share this information, but ...if you can,I would like to know.
Laytonian, A few threads back a poster mentioned that they thought maybe Steven was frightened of something the night he left St.George, and you wrote " or frightened of someone " (sic). It's strange, I had the same feeling,and had mentioned it a while back. Just a hunch, I had nothing to really base it on...

Several business licenses give addresses in that neighborhood -- home-based or online businesses. The house nearest to where Steven parked is headquarters of a national mortgage consulting/brokering firm. They presumably don't have customers coming and going but might have subcontractors, consultants, or clients making occasional visits. That increases the number of people who might have seen Steven.

To me, when someone's missing, all options have to be considered, even if the odds are very remote. Hopefully many of them can be eliminated, but they have to be considered first.

And some of the thoughts go together. For instance, if that's not Steven in the video, that increases the likelihood that he met with foul play.

Agreed. Maybe we need to go back and look at the things we tried to eliminate in the past with a fresh open approach.

I do think the jury room idea by believe9 was a good idea.:truce: But I don't know how to use it, being a newbie.

StillLooking : Specifically, did Greg Webb ever visit Steven there ? Did he have a regular routine ? I understand that you may not be able to share this information, but ...if you can,I would like to know.

Laytonian, A few threads back a poster mentioned that they thought maybe Steven was frightened of something the night he left St.George, and you wrote " or frightened of someone " (sic).

Something is just too fishy about GW to me too. IF Possibly SK was meeting up with him on that Sunday in Anthem for something... Maybe something to do with money. Just the fact that they were both there is odd to me and GW seems really suspicious to me. Possibly a Loan Shark situation, maybe stretching it but it has occurred to me to mention it.

Another reason SK was walking so willingly somewhere with a file maybe was to meet up with GW to give him church info "supposedly" to take back.. Just some thoughts I have had is all.. For what it is worth..

Something is just too fishy about GW to me too. IF Possibly SK was meeting up with him on that Sunday in Anthem for something... Maybe something to do with money. Just the fact that they were both there is odd to me and GW seems really suspicious to me. Possibly a Loan Shark situation, maybe stretching it but it has occurred to me to mention it.

Another reason SK was walking so willingly somewhere with a file maybe was to meet up with GW to give him church info "supposedly" to take back.. Just some thoughts I have had is all.. For what it is worth..

Welcome to the boards My6!!! I think we all would like to know a little more about GW. I keep thinking they were there beginning Sat. nite.--somewhere???

I have a difficult time thinking like a criminal, so I'm not really sure how one would pull this off. But the more I thought about it, it occurred to me that he would had to have filed a police report for the stolen "vehicle" anyway, right? That obviously didn't happen.

This case makes my head hurt.

You couldn't file the report, if you were right near the car, for sure. That's why a co-conspirator would have been needed so he could vacate the area, get home and THEN report it missing.

I just threw it out as one of the scenarios that we've talked about.

A couple of random thoughts that probably don't lead anywhere:

One thing that's clear from the family and friends is that Steven is the kind of guy you can always count on to help you out. Which makes me wonder if he got involved with trying to help somebody -- like maybe a female friend in a bad marriage or a friend (the roommate?) involved in something illegal. Something that got him into a dangerous situation with drug guys or a violent husband or something that he didn't see coming until it's too late.

I also wondered whether with leaving the car, telling the old friend about Sacramento, etc. whether he *thought* he had told people where he was going?

A couple of random thoughts that probably don't lead anywhere:

One thing that's clear from the family and friends is that Steven is the kind of guy you can always count on to help you out. Which makes me wonder if he got involved with trying to help somebody -- like maybe a female friend in a bad marriage or a friend (the roommate?) involved in something illegal. Something that got him into a dangerous situation with drug guys or a violent husband or something that he didn't see coming until it's too late.

I also wondered whether with leaving the car, telling the old friend about Sacramento, etc. whether he *thought* he had told people where he was going?

Was he really "old friends" with AN's family? All I can see, is one visit to that family ranch in April 2008....around the time he and AN (both living in SLC at the time) dated "a few times".
I don't see him being friends with roomie Z at all, unless Z was able to talk him into doing something.

How many physical contacts would he possibly have had, in St George, in those last days?

The landlord - did they ever get together, maybe on the 12th?
Boss T - last on the 8th?

StillLooking,
Yet another set of questions... Did Steven's family visit him often while he lived in your home ? If I recall, November 1st was his birthday. Was he at your house on that day ? Did anyone visit him to help him make his birthday meaningful ? Or was he not around on that day ? Just wondering ...

StillLooking : If you are reading this thread, I would really like to know if Steven had any visitors during the 7 months he lived at your house ? Specifically, did Greg Webb ever visit Steven there ? Did he have a regular routine ? I understand that you may not be able to share this information, but ...if you can,I would like to know.
Laytonian, A few threads back a poster mentioned that they thought maybe Steven was frightened of something the night he left St.George, and you wrote " or frightened of someone " (sic). It's strange, I had the same feeling,and had mentioned it a while back. Just a hunch, I had nothing to really base it on...

StillLooking: were you or your husband ever able to talk to Steven face to face about the rent, before he disappeared?

I know your husband was trying to contact him.

Yup.

Putting it down in one place is helpful, at least to me. Several here have sent me their ideas...and so far "unknowingly got into trouble" has no "cons".
http://sites.google.com/site/parallelcooler/home/koecher-html/scenarios
Scenario 2-3

Laytonian,
Really like your pro and con list idea ; it's great.

One more con thought for Steven leaving either with someone, or by himself. of his own volition : I believe he would have contacted either his mother, or his sister, or both, at Christmas. Assuming he was able to do that. Nothing whatsoever in everything we have heard about Steven makes me believe he would have cut them off.
However, here is a pro idea : let's assume he met someone special who was living in Vegas. They clicked,and planned to leave the area together. Steven could have taken some of his clothing,personal items to his lover's place already.
His seeming downward spiral could have also indicated the apprehension of the huge step he was about to take. His lover could have promised to take care of him.
Although I DO NOT think this happened in this case, my husband reminded me of someone we knew who actually did this. He was married,one evening he told his wife he was going out to get some gum.And he never came back to her.He had met someone, and his stuff was over at her house. The new woman worked and took care of him for 6 months or so ; he eventually married this woman. Yes, she got a real winner..... Just to show it can happen. But, I don't think it happened to Steven.

Okay sorry for all the post today - I HAD to do my taxes:sick: today & trying to catch up on here.

Okay here's what I found on FB today - FINALLY the guy got back to everyone

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic=26927&post=458525&uid=225335012614#post458525

anyway that's my find today I know this was mentioned a few pages back - I think by Laytonian -there you go Layt. :D

:doh:
Edit: On my earlier post about the "known" facts I meant dec. 9 phone call with SK dad. (i said another date but meant 12/9/09) :blushing:

Thanks for the bank info. Grrrr. At least he gave us the correct bank account name (the first time, the middle initial was missing -- so maybe that's why the bank customer service people couldn't find the account)?
Snail mail. In 2010 ;)
I'll see if I can get time tomorrow to actually visit a Zion's Bank, and find out how we can direct deposit to that account...and make sure the details are absolutely correct.

On that Dec 9th call between Steven and his Dad. When would he have been at WalMart doing grocery shopping? If the date is accurate (Naegle wasn't sure), did Steven fib? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IamNobody