NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - # 7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am no expert on this but the odds of obtaining a subpoena to search a public library computer for usage history of a person who may have committed NO crime is practically ZERO. Besides it would dig up usage history of other totally innocent people. It is not going to happen. Besides, they would need to know which computer he used, at specific dates and times, and that is assuming that he used the computer as "Steven Koecher" and not some other name. So if over the course of six months he used each one, does anyone think they would copy all the computer hard drives on account of this ONE person?

Just wanted to give my two cents on this as I am very close to obtaining my MLS and currently work as a public librarian. It is part of the librarian's 'code of honor' to be very protective about the privacy of our patrons' book borrowing/circulation records and histories as well as any information related to their library computer usage. These records are not given out freely, even to LE. True, they could get a subpeona, but they would have to have a very good reason, i.e., hard evidence of foul play, which I don't believe they have. Therefore, at this point I'd be willing to bet that the St. George public library's computers have NOT been analyzed by LE, and again, there is just no way the librarian would give out any info to Naegle or other members of Steven's family. The bright side of this, for all you wonderful library users, is that you can rest assured your book borrowing records and computer usage records are kept 100 percent confidential; as librarians, it is our job to guard this info with our lives.

Has anyone tried to access the timeline?

The timeline says it is private for me...

The "short link" (via snipurl.com) is down. I was having a problem this morning, trying to make a short link out of a super-long map URL. Looks like they're still having problems.

The timeline URL it leads to, is still good:
It's still there for me....and I even signed out of google, to make sure.

http://sites.google.com/site/parallelcooler/home/koecher-html

EDIT:
Now that I went to the trouble of changing my signature line, the original short url came back up.
Good! Now all of those complaints I've lodged, will lead to the timeline ;)

Just wanted to give my two cents on this as I am very close to obtaining my MLS and currently work as a public librarian. It is part of the librarian's 'code of honor' to be very protective about the privacy of our patrons' book borrowing/circulation records and histories as well as any information related to their library computer usage. These records are not given out freely, even to LE. True, they could get a subpeona, but they would have to have a very good reason, i.e., hard evidence of foul play, which I don't believe they have. Therefore, at this point I'd be willing to bet that the St. George public library's computers have NOT been analyzed by LE, and again, there is just no way the librarian would give out any info to Naegle or other members of Steven's family. The bright side of this, for all you wonderful library users, is that you can rest assured your book borrowing records and computer usage records are kept 100 percent confidential; as librarians, it is our job to guard this info with our lives.

Actually, they did subpoena Steven's library card records....and found that he'd checked out three books. Fasteddy4 listed them in his first report about the press conference.

examiner.com, a website that uses volunteers to rewrite legitimate news stories, has now picked up last night's Fox-13 idiocy and is spreading it across the world.

examiner.com, a website that uses volunteers to rewrite legitimate news stories, has now picked up last night's Fox-13 idiocy and is spreading it across the world.

if you look at the article clearly the consensus was that any connection was far fetched. Then again, more than a couple of people in this blog thought the two were related.

I do not if any of you have looked at Steven's FB page, but there is a gal, who is mormon, who lives near where Steven's car was found. She said she just recently heard about the case, while visiting in St. George. If we have any questions, we might want to ask her about that area. I did ask a few things, but have not heard back.

if you look at the article clearly the consensus was that any connection was far fetched. Then again, more than a couple of people in this blog thought the two were related.

You have to read a long way in, to find that. It just bothered me.

I just think it's kinda shifty, to have people work for free or "by the click" because they have to sensationalize things just to get paid. PLUS, they are freeloading off the work of legitimate journalists.

We don't have an avatar for OFF MY SOAPBOX ;)

Koecher was formerly employed working nights on the online site at The Salt Lake Tribune but relocated to St. George after a rough winter and strain from the night shift took a toll on his morale. His parents said he seemed better after the move, though he struggled to find full-time employment. He was working part-time for a home services company in St. George at the time of his disappearance.[/I]
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-about-missing-Utahn-Steven-Koecher.html?pg=2
I think his morale was probably even lower, settling for a window washing job. moo

Me, too -- AND he didn't even move to St George until nearly a year AFTER he quit the night-time job at the Tribune!

Per Steven's own LinkedIn job history, the job at the SL Trib ended in July 2008.
He didn't move to St George until April 2009.....after another winter had passed.

I do not if any of you have looked at Steven's FB page, but there is a gal, who is mormon, who lives near where Steven's car was found. She said she just recently heard about the case, while visiting in St. George. If we have any questions, we might want to ask her about that area. I did ask a few things, but have not heard back.

BBM
Thank you...! The reason I like this poster is because she describes something that is real in her area. A person parks, walks down the block and makes his way back to his car....dropping off flyers or cards along the way.

If the phone call that GW describes is also real, the quote from Steven - he could go back to St. George if needed - would feel right. That would mean
that, although he is working on the Sabbath, it is not a locked in deal and he would drop it and go back to help out.

Was there anything in the car or at home that might show Steven starting his own business? He might not want to compete with his old boss, but he might just like to see what he can do in an upscale community.

Sometimes I feel like a mother hen, but I think that Steven is a good person.
If he got into trouble, I don't think he was looking for it.

BBM
Thank you...! The reason I like this poster is because she describes something that is real in her area. A person parks, walks down the block and makes his way back to his car....dropping off flyers or cards along the way.

If the phone call that GW describes is also real, the quote from Steven - he could go back to St. George if needed - would feel right. That would mean
that, although he is working on the Sabbath, it is not a locked in deal and he would drop it and go back to help out.

Was there anything in the car or at home that might show Steven starting his own business? He might not want to compete with his old boss, but he might just like to see what he can do in an upscale community.

Sometimes I feel like a mother hen, but I think that Steven is a good person.
If he got into trouble, I don't think he was looking for it.

I'll ask Naegle if there were any indications of Steven starting his own business. After all, who needs help finding window-washing jobs, if you have to first hand out all your own flyers?

Flight of fantasy idea, based on friend's FB comments about his love of the guitar but that it could "ruin his life".
Q: Did Steven play a acoustic or electric guitar?
A: Both
Q: Would he be good enough to get a job?
A: No.
Q: Did he sing well?
A: We enjoyed his singing but it wasn’t professional
Q: Could/would he possibly be a street musician?
A: Probably not. He left w/out his instruments

DOCUMENTS:
Q: We assume Steven has a current Temple recommend (right?)
A: Yes.
Q: Was it found in his room? (If not found, assuming it's in his wallet.)
A: No, it probably is in his wallet.
Q: Has it been used to enter any LDS temple (ie, scanned)?
A: We have not checked, if it is possible to.

This is very concerning to me. And the post from someone whose sister lives two doors down from Steven's place in St. George and has never been questioned by LE. WTH?

Either LE is NOT taking this case seriously or whatever information they've uncovered in their investigation leads away from both of these neighborhoods. IMO.

It sure would be helpful if we knew where to look!

I wonder how fully the landlord was questioned???

This is very concerning to me. And the post from someone whose sister lives two doors down from Steven's place in St. George and has never been questioned by LE. WTH?

Either LE is NOT taking this case seriously or whatever information they've uncovered in their investigation leads away from both of these neighborhoods. IMO.

It sure would be helpful if we knew where to look!

I wonder how fully the landlord was questioned???

I wonder that, too -- and the neighbor across the street, who "just happened" to be outside long enough to see Steven arrive and depart....about 30 minutes apart.

I wonder that, too -- and the neighbor across the street, who "just happened" to be outside long enough to see Steven arrive and depart....about 30 minutes apart.

Or so he says....

Just thinking off the cuff here. I wonder if there's any way Steven could have been the victim of a hit and run. Is there anywhere in the area--a bridge, steep shoulders on the road etc. where he could have fallen undiscovered if he was in an auto/pedestrian accident? I know, it's not very probable, but I can't follow ANY scenario through without reservation.

Just thinking off the cuff here. I wonder if there's any way Steven could have been the victim of a hit and run. Is there anywhere in the area--a bridge, steep shoulders on the road etc. where he could have fallen undiscovered if he was in an auto/pedestrian accident? I know, it's not very probable, but I can't follow ANY scenario through without reservation.

Possible in Las Vegas or Henderson? Absolutely. Lots of hit and runs here with cars and pedestrians. But possible in Sun City Anthem? Not really. Houses line the streets on both sides or there are walls next to the street. Now, could have someone hit him and then put him in their car? I suppose. But Steven was not small. It would take two strong men to do it.

I would love to know if there were any other videos of Steven taken by
the owner of the home on the corner...like that day or any other day.

I would also love to know if there might be another 5-10 minutes of the
"going down Evening Lights" video that Steven's parents might have seen and are holding back for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member