NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - # 7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Me neither!!! I really would never do something like that.

FWIW coming from someone who is just a regular lurker and admirer of the dedicated posters on this thread..:takeabow:..y'all are AWESOME! I don't believe that too many people would Fairy. Some may, sure..you know every group always a couple that 'go a little rogue' lol, at times, not with bad intentions by any stretch of the imagination, they sometimes just get carried away.

I guess I feel kinda like this...GW is said to be Steven's friend .. right? He was the last person to speak with Steven, so of course it stands to reason that the same group of people that have given up so much of their time and put forth such an effort into finding out what happened to Steven would have a real need to know exactly what was said as long as the family didn't object. I can't imagine why they would unless it was super-duper top secret information. :waitasec:.

Seriously though, if GW had received for example 25 emails, (just out of curiousity, I would love to know just how many he has gotten) and granted they are from people he doesn't know, which would be a little freaky, but as Steven's friend, he would have to know that the whole situation is strange and I have a difficult time understanding why it has apparently upset him so much, in the grand scheme of things...meaning his friend and fellow church member has gone *poof* it appears anyway and people that have never met him are doing everything they can to help locate him. But then again, that's just me...sorry guys, I truly didn't mean to have a mini-rant.

gsmith, Thank You so much for the peek into 'who is Steven'. You have given us a glimpse into a 'real person', something that was lacking before and imo is invaluable when trying capture folks attention in any missing persons case. Steven is very lucky to have a friend such as yourself. :thumb: If you don't mind my asking, how did you find out about Websleuths? There are some wonderful people here that seem to spend every waking moment trying to find your friend and I have no doubt are so very grateful for your input and insight!

FWIW coming from someone who is just a regular lurker and admirer of the dedicated posters on this thread..:takeabow:..y'all are AWESOME! I don't believe that too many people would Fairy. Some may, sure..you know every group always a couple that 'go a little rogue' lol, at times, not with bad intentions by any stretch of the imagination, they sometimes just get carried away.

I guess I feel kinda like this...GW is said to be Steven's friend .. right? He was the last person to speak with Steven, so of course it stands to reason that the same group of people that have given up so much of their time and put forth such an effort into finding out what happened to Steven would have a real need to know exactly what was said as long as the family didn't object. I can't imagine why they would unless it was super-duper top secret information. :waitasec:.

Seriously though, if GW had received for example 25 emails, (just out of curiousity, I would love to know just how many he has gotten) and granted they are from people he doesn't know, which would be a little freaky, but as Steven's friend, he would have to know that the whole situation is strange and I have a difficult time understanding why it has apparently upset him so much, in the grand scheme of things...meaning his friend and fellow church member has gone *poof* it appears anyway and people that have never met him are doing everything they can to help locate him. But then again, that's just me...sorry guys, I truly didn't mean to have a mini-rant.

gsmith, Thank You so much for the peek into 'who is Steven'. You have given us a glimpse into a 'real person', something that was lacking before and imo is invaluable when trying capture folks attention in any missing persons case. Steven is very lucky to have a friend such as yourself. :thumb: If you don't mind my asking, how did you find out about Websleuths? There are some wonderful people here that seem to spend every waking moment trying to find your friend and I have no doubt are so very grateful for your input and insight!

Thank you for saying that. I found this website over a month ago just googling his name. I was hesitant to say anything because it's 1% of who he is and I didn't want to give everyone the impression he was extremely depressed. I don't know him as well as his family but I realized that I might have had conversations they didn't.

He has a ton of friends made over the years. I just think many friends are hesitant because they haven't talked to him for a while or are just as confused as we all are.

Naegle,
Thanks for speaking with GW. It's nice to at least know his side of the story. I guess at this point we can either choose to believe or disbelieve it. It's just nice to hear his side. I wish he would have come out sooner. I know I would have, if I had read the things on here (assuming he was on here) that people were saying about me and I knew them to be false. I guess we all handle things differently though.

Since gsmith has come over I have a different picture of what Steven was/is like than how I had pictured him previously. I think he went to RV after the temple to find AN. Based on his view of god telling him what he needed to do, I think maybe he prayed at the temple and in his mind he got an answer that he needed to give AN another chance. In my mind it is illogical to leave St George immediately after the temple and head straight to her parents house. Based on the picture that gsmith has painted, I don't think that it would be illogical in Steven's mind.

I don't know how this correlates to him showing up in Vegas and disappearing though. I think like Laytonian has said before, "we are trying to make logic out of the illogical."

I think I'm stumped now more than ever. I'm starting to lean more towards a random act that lead to his disappearance. I don't think he ended up in Vegas randomly. I think what happened in Vegas was random. I think if we were able to ask Steven why he was in Vegas he would give an explanation that makes as much sense as him driving to RV late at night.
:banghead:

This makes the most sense so far, especially knowing Utah and the temple trip. He went to RV to test his temple impressions, and perhaps there he got a referral from them to see relatives in the Vegas area. The Chasma drive owner's LinkedIn profile suggests that they might have been a contact for Christmas decorating work. But if he got turned around on the way back to his car, he could have wound up in the golf course area and might have stumbled onto a drug deal going down, either among employees or among other taking advantage of shrubbery, parking areas. I have seen this activity in similar kinds of places. He might have been followed then and forced into a car. Probably someone else called his voicemail the next day to see if anyone was looking for him yet and how much covering of their tracks they had to do.

I was wrong about some of my dates. I talked to my wife and checked the music files for when they were created.

The girl I've been referring to was "L". I went on a double date with Steve and she was really cool. That was way back in Nov 2007. He ended it in a month because he wasn't feeling it was right.

The song was recorded April 2008 and he hadn't been interested in anyone else since.

I got married in May 2008 and didn't see him for a few months. Around august we got together and we had the discussion of him feeling left behind and how his friends had moved on. I told him to go back to school just like I was doing.

Late 2008 he was still sad. He mentioned he had dated a few more gals but wasn't really into any of them. It was then he mentioned he had missed an opportunity with the girl meant for him. A girl before "L".

He moved a few months later. I tried calling and texting but he never responded. It's been a year since I talked to him. When a friend is sad you can talk about the sadness trying to help but it can also get them more focused on the problems. Maybe he didn't respond cause I was such a drag.

He was doing a podcast regularly early 2007. This is when he had a regular group of friends. He invited me a few times to hang with them and it was fun. He seemed to be the center and organizer of the group. On Jan 1007 he interviewed me and recorded me singing a couple songs. I edited the podcast so you can hear how funny and lovable he is. I'll load it tomorrow.

Another thought is that, given that Steven didn't call ahead when he went to RV, is it possible that he just stopped by the Chasma Drive place without calling, didn't find anyone home, and then got turned around getting back to his car?

There are a few news reports of problems in this area with people renting homes and using them to deal drugs or run "massage" operations, one right in this area near Anthem Parkway and Hampton Road. I've lived in a "nice" neighborhood before where neighbors were busted as the big dealers in the entire city.

Wow, the information gsmith provided was definitely eye opening. It sounds to me like Steven expected everything to be perfect. Like he thought, if I am a good Mormon and follow 'the rules', then God will make everything perfect. And if something wasn't perfect in his eyes, then forget it. His job wasn't perfect (didn't like working nights, colleagues too 'worldly', whatever that means)? Quit the job. (Yet Steven was immature in failing to understand that very few people absolutely love their job and consider all aspects of it perfect - that is why it is called 'work', after all.) Girlfriend(s) wasn't perfect (not pretty enough, too pretty, 'God told him she wasn't right')? Get rid of the girlfriend. I also feel that Steven felt a lot of guilt in regards to pleasure, like the guitar thing. He felt that doing something he loved, got pleasure out of, and was passionate about would 'ruin his life', yet at the same time if something wasn't perfect, he removed it from his life. That's very contradictory. I'm just having a really hard time understanding the way Steven thought.

It does definitely appear like he was one confused young guy, and at 30 didn't yet know who he was at all or what he wanted. This leaves the door open for a multitude of possibilities regarding his disappearance: suicide, running away, or getting involved in a dangerous situation. So we're right back where we started. Still, very valuable information, gsmith. Welcome, and I hope you keep posting!

BBM. I actually DO understand the definition of random.

I am telling you that it is extremely unlikely that a person, unfamiliar with this city, would randomly wind up where Steven's car was found. It cannot be accessed by I-15 which, as you well know, is the only way into Vegas from Utah. And the route into Anthem is via Eastern Avenue. Not simple to find, if you don't know where you're going or have specific directions.

I agree. IF you're trying to find it. IF you are turned around and don't have other directions, you're lost. I think, at some point, he was. Whether it happened because he got off the freeway, took a route off I-215, Eastern, or merely turned the wrong way when he was on Anthem Parkway...

I'm just saying it's a possibility.

Thank you for saying that. I found this website over a month ago just googling his name. I was hesitant to say anything because it's 1% of who he is and I didn't want to give everyone the impression he was extremely depressed. I don't know him as well as his family but I realized that I might have had conversations they didn't.

He has a ton of friends made over the years. I just think many friends are hesitant because they haven't talked to him for a while or are just as confused as we all are.

:thumb: :thumb:
Thank you. You have no idea how much we appreciate you. I'm sure, on first impression, some of the things discussed here are rough to take...or seem unkind. Thanks for lurking for awhile; I think you learned we're "friendlies".

Sometimes, the 1% you don't see very often, is the part that's really important. Maybe it seems shameful, is frowned upon. And that's what keeps it at the 1% visible level.

I keep hoping Steven's OK, but this is the most confounding disappearance I've ever heard of.

It's almost three months; that's enough time for a drastic change in appearance.

What would Steven look like, if he shaved his head?

What would he look like, with a beard and uncut hair?

Or just longer hair?

Or darker hair?

If he lost some weight?

One thing I want to mention that I don't think has been mentioned before....

Entering Vegas from Utah (I-15 South), Anthem is literally on the COMPLETE opposite side of the valley. And not accessible from I-15.

If a person coming in from Utah simply wanted to ditch their car and walk away, there are thousands of neighborhoods between the entry point of LV and the spot where Steven's car was found.

This is one of the reasons I believe Steven was in SCA on purpose.

If he accidentally parked in the wrong place and got lost on foot, would he really not have been able to get back to his car in 4 days. Really?

Besides all that...is everyone really willing to totally discount the fact that he got out at exactly noon and walked like he knew where he was going???? Did I not watch the same video as everyone else??? If it was the wrong street, since evening lights ends, I think we would have seen him coming back past the house back to car...at the very least.

One other thought. We bought our son an I-Touch IPOD for his birthday last week and we have wireless internet at home...within minutes he was online. I had no idea you could do this. I have the old ipod and use a blackberry. SK could have been at Starbucks, McDonalds (everyone offers free wi-fi) on the internet for free without anyone knowing with the same I-Touch IPOD I bought my five year old to listen to his music. We got the 8G for less than $150. It also has GPS on it that you can download directions on as long as you have a wireless connection. I don't think he was hiding anything, but I do think it is possible that this could be the explanation for why nothing was on his computer. The IPOD is alot smaller than a laptop, stays charged for longer period of times...and free to access the internet.

Do we know that LE hasn't talked to him?

I think it's possible that GW's as fragile as SK is.

....and remember, GW has now placed himself at a certain spot (near the Las Vegas Speedway) when he was on the phone. That can be verified.

Well if it was the same tower that SK phone pinged I would talk to him again!!

It's almost three months; that's enough time for a drastic change in appearance.

What would Steven look like, if he shaved his head?

What would he look like, with a beard and uncut hair?

Or just longer hair?

Or darker hair?

If he lost some weight?

It's so funny that you mention this this morning. I am now in the habit of looking at every, single guy I see on the streets who looks even remotely like Steven and I have to remind myself that I'm not looking for the "picture" Steven.

But - this morning on my way to work, I saw a young guy that looked so much like Steven - except his head was completely shaved. Everything else about him fit - clothing, height, build. But it wasn't his face. :(

I'm feeling so frustrated. I know ya'll are too. I need to get a grip and refocus!

Besides all that...is everyone really willing to totally discount the fact that he got out at exactly noon and walked like he knew where he was going???? Did I not watch the same video as everyone else??? If it was the wrong street, since evening lights ends, I think we would have seen him coming back past the house to car at least.

Or he just kept walking, because he "thought" he knew where he was?
If he had been there before, unknown to the family, he could have seen the golf cart path on EL and thought it was the ET path.

Just a possibility.
I've been turned around in strange cities, and didn't realize it until I was far from my destination.

One other thought. We bought our son an I-Touch IPOD for his birthday last week and we have wireless internet at home...within minutes he was online. I had no idea you could do this. I have the old ipod and use a blackberry. SK could have been at Starbucks, McDonalds (everyone offers free wi-fi) on the internet for free without anyone knowing with the same I-Touch IPOD I bought my five year old to listen to his music. We got the 8G for less than $150. It also has GPS on it that you can download directions on as long as you have a wireless connection. I don't think he was hiding anything, but I do think it is possible that this could be the explanation for why nothing was on his computer. The IPOD is alot smaller than a laptop, stays charged for longer period of times...and free to access the internet.

GOOD THINKING. iPOD touch (or similar). Don't know why I hadn't thought of that possibility, since we each have one of those. It doesn't sound like anything Steven could buy for himself with his limited funds, but it sounds like a nice birthday gift. I'll check.

IF he had one, and IF he picked up a wireless signal "while lost" (I'm just sayin'), he could have walked his way to his destination across Anthem Parkway, into another subdivision, ... and never been seen near the car again.

After all, he had a great parking space. If you don't mind walking a bit further, why move the car?

I wonder if, IF he went back to the car when it was dark, he would show on the security video?

Well if it was the same tower that SK phone pinged I would talk to him again!!

Which ping?

The Overton ping on the 12th....or the voicemail "early in the morning" on the 14th?

I'm more interested in Webb going to Vegas on the 11th, the same day SK was seen in St George in mid-afternoon ... and then we don't hear anything more from SK until the 12th (Overton cellphone ping and Mesquite gas purchase).

The Mesquite gas purchase was obviously while SK was on his way back from somewhere (he next was at Kmart in St George). Then he's at his house for 20-30 minutes, then at some time, drives back south, ending up south of Vegas proper.

Questions:
Where was SK on the evening of the 11th and afternoon of the 12th?
Did SK leave to return home, on the 12th?
Did SK find himself locked out, and decide to return to wherever he'd been?
But couldn't remember, because he had to find his way there without following someone?

(just thinking out loud)

Or he just kept walking, because he "thought" he knew where he was?
If he had been there before, unknown to the family, he could have seen the golf cart path on EL and thought it was the ET path.

Just a possibility.
I've been turned around in strange cities, and didn't realize it until I was far from my destination.

GOOD THINKING. iPOD touch (or similar). Don't know why I hadn't thought of that possibility, since we each have one of those. It doesn't sound like anything Steven could buy for himself with his limited funds, but it sounds like a nice birthday gift. I'll check.

IF he had one, and IF he picked up a wireless signal "while lost" (I'm just sayin'), he could have walked his way to his destination across Anthem Parkway, into another subdivision, ... and never been seen near the car again.

After all, he had a great parking space. If you don't mind walking a bit further, why move the car?

I wonder if, IF he went back to the car when it was dark, he would show on the security video?

The pictures at night are just as good on our camera. I am sure the guy has the same "type" we do. Of course it's in black and white, but its actually better b/c it picks up heat or something and shows a better outline. Our daytime records in color though...I wish this guys did also. Did Naegle ever let you know if there are more cameras?

The pictures at night are just as good on our camera. I am sure the guy has the same "type" we do. Of course it's in black and white, but its actually better b/c it picks up heat or something and shows a better outline. Our daytime records in color though...I wish this guys did also. Did Naegle ever let you know if there are more cameras?

No. I don't think she knows. All she knew, was that they were given a stack of CDs...or whatever they were copied onto.

Which ping?

The Overton ping on the 12th....or the voicemail "early in the morning" on the 14th?

I'm more interested in Webb going to Vegas on the 11th, the same day SK was seen in St George in mid-afternoon ... and then we don't hear anything more from SK until the 12th (Overton cellphone ping and Mesquite gas purchase).

The Mesquite gas purchase was obviously while SK was on his way back from somewhere (he next was at Kmart in St George). Then he's at his house for 20-30 minutes, then at some time, drives back south, ending up south of Vegas proper.

Questions:
Where was SK on the evening of the 11th and afternoon of the 12th?
Did SK leave to return home, on the 12th?
Did SK find himself locked out, and decide to return to wherever he'd been?
But couldn't remember, because he had to find his way there without following someone?

(just thinking out loud)

So the 13th when SK was talking to GW it pinged where? Overton?

Reboot.

"Hey! What about that SUV that turns around and parks while Steven's walking?"

KLAS-TV:
"The Koecher family has since tried everything to find their son. They had a Salt Lake City Police drug dog sniff the car for narcotics. Nothing was found. They hired a private investigator to canvass the senior citizen neighborhood. No one saw anything. They tracked down the owner of an SUV seen driving up and down the street in the surveillance video. It turned out to be a real estate agent showing a house. "

SHOWING A HOUSE?

Who to? Where's the people he was showing the home to...or were they in his SUV?

I'd REALLY like to see the ten minutes before and after Steven walked down the street. (Ain't gonna happen, though.)

Did another car pull up next to the SUV? Did at least two people get out of the SUV?
How many cars turned up EL?

Reboot.

"Hey! What about that SUV that turns around and parks while Steven's walking?"

KLAS-TV:
"The Koecher family has since tried everything to find their son. They had a Salt Lake City Police drug dog sniff the car for narcotics. Nothing was found. They hired a private investigator to canvass the senior citizen neighborhood. No one saw anything. They tracked down the owner of an SUV seen driving up and down the street in the surveillance video. It turned out to be a real estate agent showing a house. "

SHOWING A HOUSE?

Who to? Where's the people he was showing the home to...or were they in his SUV?

I'd REALLY like to see the ten minutes before and after Steven walked down the street. Did another car pull up next to the SUV? Did at least two people get out of the SUV?

Good question. It's common, especially when looking at multiple properties, for clients to ride in the same vehicle with their realtor. If not, they would have just met the realtor at the house. Either way, that should be easy to see somewhere in the surveillance tapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState