GUILTY NV - Suellen, 31, & Lexis Roberts, 12, Las Vegas, 4 Sept 2010

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/article/20101106/NEWS01/11060316/Man-presumed-dead-charged

Mary Foster and Holbrook Mohr • Associated Press • November 6, 2010

<snipped>

"He dropped out of his life, but maintained a criminal record throughout that time," Edwards said.

A federal warrant was issued Thursday accusing Sanders of kidnapping 12-year-old Lexis Roberts, whose skeleton was found by hunters early last month. Her 31-year-old mother, Suellen Roberts, is missing. Officials say she is not a suspect in her daughters death - and they hope she has not met with foul play.

"We still consider her a missing person," Edwards said.

Thanks for posting that update Knox. I'm still puzzled LE isn't saying what Sanders crimes were against juveniles. I realize it's too late for Lexis but now that this man has killed, who knows what he may do next.

Also, the security video from Walmart was from Sept 3. Do the bigger stores keep those tapes for awhile? I've so often heard in other cases the videos are only kept a short time. I wonder how LE knows he changed his appearance before leaving Vegas.

Most disturbing of all now to me is the last phone call Suellen made to her mother. She said if we're not back by Monday then you have something to worry about. Did she already sense they were in trouble?

Just my ramblings on a case which has stayed with me since I first read about it.

Hi Mandy113 ... When you look at the basis for the divorce filing it seems obvious that Sanders was not a nice person, even back then. I wonder if he was abusing his three children and that is the basis for the Juvenile Offenses and also his reason for taking off? It makes sense that LE is only mentioning that the charges exist and providing no details, involves a minor/minors.

It would also seem that he knew his Death Certificate had not been submitted to the SSA, as he felt a certain degree of comfort in using his real name and SS# when working. I would not be surprised if he was in contact with his parents or brother over the years. If the ex wife only filed for local assistance and not SSA death benefits for the children, SSA would have no idea that payments should not be coming into his account after 1997.

I am still curious about whether Suellen and Sanders were romantically involved or just friends. I wish someone would clarify that point. I don't know why it matters to me, but it does. I guess it speaks to motive and how he was able to convince Suellen about taking this trip.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Manchester+native+missing%2C+daughter+slain%3B+nationwide+manhunt+for+suspect&articleId=40c318b7-622c-4652-bc6f-df2b055b3b68

I am so sorry, but HOW ON EARTH did Suellen fall for this guy's tricks??? Ohhhh g-d.

You have a budding young daughter and no family nearby and you let a man into your life because he wines and dines you? I know she was having a tough time financially, but jeez.

He had to have worn dentures, because I don't see how he could have woo'd a woman in her 30's with only 2 teeth---unless the money and gifts were enough.

This case is so unbelieveably outrageous. I am so sorry Lexis! My prayers go out to the family. :furious:

I am still curious about whether Suellen and Sanders were romantically involved or just friends. I wish someone would clarify that point. I don't know why it matters to me, but it does. I guess it speaks to motive and how he was able to convince Suellen about taking this trip.

Knox:

If you read the link I just posted, it mentions Suellen's father was not involved in her life. Additionally, she was clearly a single mother to Lexis.

Perhaps Suellen was looking for a father-figure for both her and Lexis. Otherwise, the age difference between the 2 is pretty odd.

But, taking a trip together seems weird, even a "family" trip, after 2 months of knowing each other.

Terrible mistake in judgement. This guy is the definition of HINK.

Not much wonder I couldn't find him - he was listed as dead. Find this creep and put him away.

Rest peacefully Lexis.

Thanks for linking the story WE, finally some background on Suellen and Lexi.

I have compassion for Suellen and her circumstances, sounds as if she was very vulnerable. The very sad and unfortunate thing, is predator's like Sanders sense this and prey on the weak. It would be easy to judge Suellen at this point, say that she failed in her duties to protect her daughter, but I think she paid the price for that lapse in judgment with her life.

Sanders won't get away with this, it's only a matter of time.

News up date from LA. Many, La is near the Texas line.----

http://www.thesabineindex.com/index/node/4321

Fugitive spotted in Sabine Parish, detectives investigating sightings
Submitted by Daniel on Mon, 11/08/2010 - 08:50 News

A nationwide manhunt continues for a man suspected of kidnapping and murdering a 12-year-old Nevada girl, whose remains were found in Louisiana.

Louisiana Federal Investigators, working with the Catahoula Parish Sheriff&#8217;s Dept. positively identified the skeletal remains as those of Lexis Kaye Roberts. The remains were discovered in a wooded area near Harrisonburg on Oct. 8 by hunters. Evidence of a gunshot wound was discovered.

The FBI has said that the child was last seen with her mother, Suellen Roberts and a man they have identified as Thomas Steven Sanders. The trio was last seen traveling in a silver 2001 Kia Spectra with Nevada license plates. The car had severe damage on the passenger side, authorities said.

On Thursday, Nov. 4, a federal kidnapping warrant was issued for Sanders, charging him with the abduction of the child. Agents are also seeking information on the whereabouts of her mother, Suellen Roberts. She is considered a missing person.

Mrs. Roberts is not a suspect in her daughter&#8217;s death and investigators hope she has not met with foul play. Sanders and Roberts reportedly met several months ago in Nevada, before traveling to Arizona and the Grand Canyon National Park over the Labor Day weekend, according to the missing woman&#8217;s grandmother.

Agents said that Sanders was legally declared dead in Mississippi back in 1994. They now believe he is alive and that his appearance has changed dramatically over the years.

Federal investigators are still trying to understand how a man who abandoned his family in 1987 and was declared dead 16 years later, lived unnoticed for years. Investigation showed that he was divorced by his wife, Candice Sanders, a year after he disappeared, claiming she was in poverty and was apparently hoping to collect benefits to support their three children.

She was granted a divorce in February 1988 &#8220;on the statutory grounds of habitual, cruel and inhuman treatment&#8221;, according to a divorce decree obtained by the Associated Press. The couple had married in 1979.

Investigators said that Sanders had been arrested on multiple charges during the time he was believed to be dead, but no law enforcement agency ever discovered the fact. Arrests included possession of drug paraphernalia and a number of traffic and motor vehicle incidents, all in Tennessee. He was sentenced to two years in Georgia for simple battery, and some of the charges involved minors.

Sanders, who has relatives in Louisiana, said they haven&#8217;t heard from him in years, according to Toney Edwards, a Catahoula Sheriff&#8217;s investigator.

Since identifying the fugitive, investigators have retraced his steps, discovering that he has lived in Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Georgia and Nevada. He had worked as a laborer, welder and scrap metal collector, living under his given name.

Fugitive&#8217;s description

According to a description of the fugitive, his upper teeth are missing and he has only two lower teeth. He reportedly has a tattoo on his chest and his abdomen is scarred. He weighs over 200 pounds and has brown eyes.

At one time, Sanders had long white hair and a white beard. However, before leaving Nevada, he cut his hair, dyed it black, and shaved his beard.

Local sighting?

On Thursday, Nov. 4 at 5:18 p.m., a Florien woman notified the Sabine Parish Sheriff&#8217;s Dept. that she saw Sanders on the news and that he fits the description of a man who tried to lure her 10-year-old daughter in his truck last week.

The local woman, who lives on the Plainview Road, told local detectives that the man was driving an older model white truck with numerous five gallon buckets in the back. She said it looked like diesel had been spilled down the sides of the truck.

The concerned mother said she had notified Florien school, who in turn advised the bus driver. The bus driver, according to local detectives, said that he noticed a truck parked at Prewitt Chapel Church behind the sign for several days, and when the bus passed, the truck would follow it.

All parish and local units have been notified and faxed copies of Sanders&#8217; photo.

Reports of a sighting in Zwolle were also fielded by Sabine Parish detectives.

Anyone with information concerning the local incident, or information on the fugitive, is asked to contact the Sabine Parish Sheriff&#8217;s Dept. at 256-9241. Anyone who has seen Sanders or the mother since Sept. 3, 2010, is to call the FBI tipline at 1-800-225-5324.

I hope LE is right on his sorry azz heels!

Has anyone heard whether or not LE are searching the Bearizona Wildlife Park. He may have done something with Suellen and left her somewhere in there---or have they searched the property near Williams---I don't hear reports from that area.--

Has anyone heard whether or not LE are searching the Bearizona Wildlife Park. He may have done something with Suellen and left her somewhere in there---or have they searched the property near Williams---I don't hear reports from that area.--

It looks like Suellen is visible in a photo early on in the threads showing the 3 leaving Bearizona Wildlife Park. There is a camera at the security gate.

IMO, he killed them both pretty close together on a timeline. I don't think Lexis would have trusted this man after he killed her mother.

It looks like Suellen is visible in a photo early on in the threads showing the 3 leaving Bearizona Wildlife Park. There is a camera at the security gate.

IMO, he killed them both pretty close together on a timeline. I don't think Lexis would have trusted this man after he killed her mother.

He might have kept her prisoner, however. A 12-year-old hundreds of miles from home in a car with a man and a gun doesn't have a lot of ways to fight back.

I agree with you, carbuffI sure think this was his intentions all along--especially seeing him on walmart servalence camera buying ammo---I think Suellen trusted him and he either got rid of her first or she fought and he killed her--Then took off with Lexis(That was his intention to start with--especially since he has had prior (??) with juvenilles. It sounded like Suellen had full intentions of being back home after Labor Day weekend.

I'm so sorry for Suellen's and Lexis' family:

http://www.ktnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13482116

Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) – The remains of 12-year-old Lexis Roberts were found weeks ago in Louisiana.

Now, her family is demanding justice from a man they call a "monster."
A nationwide manhunt is currently underway for Lexis' alleged killer. Her family is just now able to talk about the ordeal; her grandmother, Mary, has been a wreck since Lexis' body was found. She's now speaking out to bring more attention to a case that is, so far, turning up few leads.

This case gets me so mad. I saw a show last night (I almost got away with it). This guy on the show was on the run for 27yo. He was arrested several times, even his last arrest his finger prints match that he was wanted for murder and they let him go. It wasn't until LE received a TIP that he was arrested.

I think we will find out this monster has murdered other people, possibly another mom and daughter. LE has now retraced his steps, discovering that he has lived in Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, Georgia and Nevada. I wonder if there are mother and daughter missing in those states in the last 20 years?.

Hope they get him soon. He has to be found.

"I warned her to not go out of state with this person, to check his background. You don't know anything about him. I was just concerned."

That mother's intuition was chillingly correct.

"It's beyond words. There is no words for it at all."

Police say Sanders has a criminal history of battery and sexual abuse of children. He was also officially declared dead in 1994 after disappearing.

So now we know ... Battery and Sexual Abuse.

"Dead" Man has Local Ties

Although an FBI spokeswoman in New Orleans would not discuss who authorities have contacted, Kelly said authorities have talked with Sanders&#8217; mother, Mary B. Sanders, who he said lives in the McComb area.

FBI spokeswoman Sheila Thorne said Sanders grew up splitting his time between Mississippi and Louisiana. She said the search for Sanders is nationwide.

&#8220;We&#8217;re talking to people in Mississippi and Louisiana,&#8221; Kelly said. &#8220;We&#8217;re getting calls from all over the country on the FBI hotline, including two leads we&#8217;re checking in the parish. We have no reason to suspect at this time that he is in the McComb area.&#8221;

A decree of presumption of death declaring Sanders legally dead was signed in Pike County Chancery Court on Sept. 16, 1994.

More at link above.

"I warned her to not go out of state with this person, to check his background. You don't know anything about him. I was just concerned."

That mother's intuition was chillingly correct.

"It's beyond words. There is no words for it at all."

Police say Sanders has a criminal history of battery and sexual abuse of children. He was also officially declared dead in 1994 after disappearing.

So now we know ... Battery and Sexual Abuse.

Yes, now we know. After more than 2 months of Suellen missing & now Lexis is dead. I just can't understand how some cases make it all over the news and then there's one like this where it seems no one was really looking for them. I'm sad & angry. I agree with Trigger & the other posters. This man has undoubtedly committed other crimes after he was declared dead.

why was he "declared dead" ? So someone could claim SS death benefits? WTH ? That person HELPED him get away with this IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mel M
Back