Identified! NV - Washoe Co., WhtFem 156UFNV, 25-35, Sheep's Flat Trail, Jul'82 - Mary Edith Silvani

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks Charlie for the update, I'm glad they're using DNA though, dentals make me a little nervous. Unfortunately it can take a lot longer. I will try to wait patiently.
I was reading old newspaper articles from when Nancy Baird disappeared, and apparently the police had a suspect, but he claimed he was in Idaho that weekend, although a nine year old girl said she saw him at the gas station that day. That's pretty interesting because I thought the police had suspected Bundy from the very beginning.

Thanks Charlie for the update, I'm glad they're using DNA though, dentals make me a little nervous. Unfortunately it can take a lot longer. I will try to wait patiently.
I was reading old newspaper articles from when Nancy Baird disappeared, and apparently the police had a suspect, but he claimed he was in Idaho that weekend, although a nine year old girl said she saw him at the gas station that day. That's pretty interesting because I thought the police had suspected Bundy from the very beginning.

It's funny how things fall by the wayside like that. But then you get people like Otis Toole admitting to every crime under the sun and some LE were satisfied with his claim, rather than investigating it.

There's something about this case that is always on my mind. Cant explain it. Especially at that time Reno was the essence of "the Biggest Little City in the World". A man I used to work with left Reno in 1979 as a teen and he said you didn't ever need to lock your doors because it was very safe and so small.

So much for strong feelings, I guess its back to the drawing board

So much for strong feelings, I guess its back to the drawing board

Don't feel so down. When I was speaking to the detective in charge of the case a long time back, he told me when he traveled to Europe. They had built a really strong case around a local man who had married a polish girl in the late 70s. Her family reported her missing as they had not heard from her since 1982. He says that she left him one night and never came back.
Her pictures and description were identical to this Jane Doe. The detective flew all the way to Europe to check it out and even felt it was her. Turned out it wasn't and her DNA did nnkt match the family. Back to square one.

Don't feel so down. When I was speaking to the detective in charge of the case a long time back, he told me when he traveled to Europe. They had built a really strong case around a local man who had married a polish girl in the late 70s. Her family reported her missing as they had not heard from her since 1982. He says that she left him one night and never came back.
Her pictures and description were identical to this Jane Doe. The detective flew all the way to Europe to check it out and even felt it was her. Turned out it wasn't and her DNA did nnkt match the family. Back to square one.

I'm disappointed, but that's life. Matching the missing with the unidentified, can seem like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I admire people who stick with it. At least I didn't have to travel all the way to Europe to find out she isn't a match, that would be a drag.
I'm thinking she may really be European, or some reason not reported missing.

This is a long shot for a match, but Behdokht Pyke was recently added to NamUs:

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/14658/22/

Missing from FL on August 29, 1981
She is five feet one inch to five feet four inches - UID was 5 feet 5 1/2 inches
She is 110 to 115 pounds - UID was 112
Her hair was "long" and brown - UID's was brown, shoulder-length
Her eyes were brown - UID's were hazel

There is no information on whether Pyke may have had at least one child like the UID is thought to. Their eyebrows are different, but nearly a year's time might account for a change in plucking/styling habits. Unfortunately, I cannot find any information about the circumstances of the disappearance.

What caught my eye is that Pyke had crossed toes and the UID had a badly bruised toenail. Could this have been from wearing shoes during a hike that forced the toe back into its natural position?

This is a long shot for a match, but Behdokht Pyke was recently added to NamUs:

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/14658/22/

Missing from FL on August 29, 1981
She is five feet one inch to five feet four inches - UID was 5 feet 5 1/2 inches
She is 110 to 115 pounds - UID was 112
Her hair was "long" and brown - UID's was brown, shoulder-length
Her eyes were brown - UID's were hazel

There is no information on whether Pyke may have had at least one child like the UID is thought to. Their eyebrows are different, but nearly a year's time might account for a change in plucking/styling habits. Unfortunately, I cannot find any information about the circumstances of the disappearance.

What caught my eye is that Pyke had crossed toes and the UID had a badly bruised toenail. Could this have been from wearing shoes during a hike that forced the toe back into its natural position?

I looked her up on the people search sites, and it looks like she is still alive (or was alive more recently than 1981).

Tamera McCurry 7/1/1982 TX - Cold Case Investigations

Name: Tamera Ellen McCurryAKA: Tami Norris, Jessica SimmonsCase Number: M9403002Case Type: EndangeredLast Seen in: Galveston (Galveston County)Last Seen on: 7/1/1982Height: 5' 6 " Weight: 125 lbs. Age Missing: 22 Eye Color: BrownHair Color: BrownDate of Birth: 2/17/1960Race: WhiteSex: FemaleState Missing From: TexasCountry Missing From: USACircumstances: Ms. McCurry has a scar on her left eyebrow and may have possibly been three months pregnant at the time of her disappearance. She was last seen getting into an orange or yellow van. Ms. McCurry was last seen wearing a light blue one-piece swimsuit with a green fish on top and a denim shirt.

Hey guys,
I was checking out some recently added MPs on Charley today and this young lady caught my eye.
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/munyon_diana.html
I see a resemblance, but since we are dealing with pictures from the early 80s, I find it hard to make out what Diana's teeth look like. Although I do see at least one crooked tooth.
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/14231/0/
This page has an additional photo of Diana.
The height is a good match, and JD has a scar on her right leg, as does Diana. However, no mention of Diana having been pregnant before, and she is below JD's estimated age. JD also has several scars that Diana's profile does not mention.

websleuths, what do you think?

Hey guys,
I was checking out some recently added MPs on Charley today and this young lady caught my eye.
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/munyon_diana.html
I see a resemblance, but since we are dealing with pictures from the early 80s, I find it hard to make out what Diana's teeth look like. Although I do see at least one crooked tooth.
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/14231/0/
This page has an additional photo of Diana.
The height is a good match, and JD has a scar on her right leg, as does Diana. However, no mention of Diana having been pregnant before, and she is below JD's estimated age. JD also has several scars that Diana's profile does not mention.

websleuths, what do you think?

I wonder why if she was last seen in Fontana, why is the state of Washington investigating her case? Unless they have reason to believe they have a suspect or she ended up there.

I wonder why if she was last seen in Fontana, why is the state of Washington investigating her case? Unless they have reason to believe they have a suspect or she ended up there.

I think it was because someone thought that she resembled an UID killed by Gary Ridgway. NamUs lists the circumstance of her disappearance as --
Left home in Fulton, Mississippi, in 1981. Last contact with family was in Fontana, California, in May of 1982. Called in to Green River investigation because of background and resemblance to reconstruction of unidentified victim.

I see weird posts like that on MP pages sometimes and it makes me wonder. I'm sure the officials of the "other" city would be interested, but does it mean they have taken over the investigation? Hmm.
I'm guessing I should contact the Washington police to submit the match, as well as email Rudy Bein?

I see weird posts like that on MP pages sometimes and it makes me wonder. I'm sure the officials of the "other" city would be interested, but does it mean they have taken over the investigation? Hmm.
I'm guessing I should contact the Washington police to submit the match, as well as email Rudy Bein?

That's what I would do. I usually submit to both LE parties involved, that way if one isn't as fast to begin, the other one will start researching the match.

Hey guys,
Just wanted to let you know I submitted the potential match of Diana Munyon via email to Rudy Bein and Thomas Jensen (from King County). Sorry for the delay, work has kept me busy lately.

I will let you know what comes of it.

30 years ago today, just about this time, our Jane was discovered. Another year she goes unnamed and another year her family goes without her. Let's bring her home.

Still nameless, but not forgotten. I am surprised that there aren't any news articles in the local papers/tv channels. At least not that I could find.

Thinking of you today, and every day Jane. I hope you will have justice and a name soon.

Has anyone looked into Tommy Lynn Sells?

He was in Reno during this time span and confessed to the murder of another Reno woman - Stefanie Stroh that he picked up at a truck stop while she was hitchhiking.

Tommy Lynn Sells 'drifted' across Nevada (and the US) for many years and often would pick up women hitchhikers and has confessed to murdering dozens of women. His 'type' was very small petite women (or girls) that were alone.

"Bud Cooper, a Missouri police investigator, explained to a San Antonio reporter why Sells escaped detection: "If you or I drove across the United States, we'd be fairly easy to follow. We use credit cards and telephones. But this guy takes trains, uses no credit cards, doesn't use checks. It's kind of like chasing a ghost.""

"From 1978 to 1999, Sells crisscrossed the country by hopping freights, hitching rides or stealing cars. He spent time in half the states in the union, begging or working as a carny, barber, mechanic and laborer.

Evidence indicates that Sells went on a murderous rampage in the 1980's

The investigative technique for fleshing out details of these cases would go something like this: Sells would say he killed a family in the Midwest or a woman hitchhiking in the southwestern desert on an approximate date, and detectives would set out to find matches. They would then press Sells for details of the crimes, the victims and the settings for comparison to cold cases.

In the fall of 1987, Stephanie Stroh, a 20-year-old free spirit, was hitchhiking across America back home to San Francisco after a year-long trek to Europe and Asia. On October 15, she was standing beside a road with her thumb out in Winnemucca, Nev., when a roofer driving a stolen truck pulled over to offer a ride.

The roofer, who had drifted into town that summer, was Tommy Sells. By his account, he drove the young woman toward Reno on I-80, pulled off at some point, choked her to death, then dropped her body down a hot spring. Two weeks later, Sells failed to show up at work. He was on the road again. Despite a massive search, Strohs body was never found."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste
Back