Identified! NV - Washoe Co., WhtFem 156UFNV, 25-35, Sheep's Flat Trail, Jul'82 - Mary Edith Silvani

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
But if men's underwear was left on her body it should have the owner's skin cells, pubic hairs or other biological traces on it. Whether it would be possible now to generate a DNA profile from those traces rather depends on how the underwear was stored in the meantime - assuming it hasn't been lost or thrown away in the meantime.

Yeah, that would be possible. I was just addressing the presence of semen, which is usually easier to test and provides a larger sample.

Though from what I've read, even in a recent case the odds of finding other biological traces in usable quantities wouldn't be as great as TV shows and DNA testing firms try to portray it :p And there are major issues with contamination in items that have been stored for a long time. Touch DNA would be as likely to be from the detective or ME who examined the clothing as from the murderer.

Hopefully she'll be identified soon, and the identification will lead to the killer, and the whole point will be moot :p

Though from what I've read, even in a recent case the odds of finding other biological traces in usable quantities wouldn't be as great as TV shows and DNA testing firms try to portray it :p And there are major issues with contamination in items that have been stored for a long time. Touch DNA would be as likely to be from the detective or ME who examined the clothing as from the murderer.

I agree that [cross-]contamination of samples is a major problem, especially in cases from this period. The very first conviction which used DNA was still 5 or more years away and it would have taken a few years for news of the technique to filter through to smaller, more rural police departments in the US (though apparently the LA Times reported on the Colin Pitchfork case at the time of his arrest and trial). However one simply cannot blame the police for not predicting unpredictable forensic developments.

I agree that [cross-]contamination of samples is a major problem, especially in cases from this period. The very first conviction which used DNA was still 5 or more years away and it would have taken a few years for news of the technique to filter through to smaller, more rural police departments in the US (though apparently the LA Times reported on the Colin Pitchfork case at the time of his arrest and trial). However one simply cannot blame the police for not predicting unpredictable forensic developments.

Indeed. And there's every indication that this Jane Doe's investigators have done everything in their power to identify her and find her killer.

Does anyone else obsessively check DDP's facebook page for updates? I can't wait til we find out she is identified! I am hoping for the end of this coming week.

Its been crickets chirping for over a week :( All great things come in due time :)
But come on DDP....... throw us a crumb ... just a tiny morsel at least o_O geez :D

Its been crickets chirping for over a week :( All great things come in due time :)
But come on DDP....... throw us a crumb ... just a tiny morsel at least o_O geez :D

They went silent when Marcia was identified until LE announced her identification. They’ve been vocal about difficulties on some of their other cases, but immediately expressed optimism on this, like they did Marcia’s. I have a feeling the lack of updates here mean they know who she is and can’t say yet. We’ll see I guess...

They went silent when Marcia was identified until LE announced her :Didentification. They’ve been vocal about difficulties on some of their other cases, but immediately expressed optimism on this, like they did Marcia’s. I have a feeling the lack of updates here mean they know who she is and can’t say yet. We’ll see I guess...

Whole heartly agree with you Taramarie, your the best in following and inquiring updates from DDP ... I understand DDP being tight lipped esp if they already have a potential ID and even if they do not and are stilling working on matches.. it all takes time ... THE WAIT IS JUST KILLING ME :D

They went silent when Marcia was identified until LE announced her identification. They’ve been vocal about difficulties on some of their other cases, but immediately expressed optimism on this, like they did Marcia’s. I have a feeling the lack of updates here mean they know who she is and can’t say yet. We’ll see I guess...

Exactly my thoughts. If they initially express great optimism and then go radio silent that seems to be good news :). I feel like we won't see an announcement until at least the end of the week though, LE obviously has/had to officially confirm her identity with her family and then figure out how best to begin the investigation of her murderer & that whole process took about a week with both Lyle and Marcia King

Thank you for the morsel Margaret ..... :):):)

Posted on DDP FB ... Question was posed for an update on the case
Margaret Press - We've got some great leads and all working hard on this case

* I don't have an FB account to ask, only have the ability to read public page posts. Anywho .. A big thank you for whom asked :D

Last edited:
Thank you for the morsel Margaret ..... :):):)

Posted on DDP FB ... Question was posed for an update on the case
Margaret Press - We've got some great leads and all working hard on this case

* I don't have an FB account to ask, only have the ability to read public page posts. Anywho .. A big thank you for whom asked :D

You’re welcome :)

:Bumping: For Sheep Flat Jane Doe

DDP Updates ---
4/23 - SFJD DDP Takes on another Jane Doe case
5/16 - SFJD sequencing completed on the way to the bioinformatics team
5/23 - SFJD DNA results received, uploaded to GEDMatch
5/25 - SFJD DDP received good matches for Sheep Flat Jane Doe and are optimistic they will identify her.
6/5 - SFJD DDP, Update requested -> Margaret Press - We've got some great leads and all working hard on this case

Last edited:
:Bumping: For Sheep Flat Jane Doe

DDP Updates ---
4/23 - SFJD DDP Takes on another Jane Doe case
5/16 - SFJD sequencing completed on the way to the bioinformatics team
5/23 - SFJD DNA results received, uploaded to GEDMatch
5/25 - SFJD DDP received good matches for Sheep Flat Jane Doe and are optimistic they will identify her.
6/5 - SFJD DDP, Update requested -> Margaret Press - We've got some great leads and all working hard on this case

Last update 3 hours ago
People are wondering about the status of Sheep Flat Jane Doe. All we can say at this point is we are narrowing down her family, but sometimes the last mile is the longest. Every case is different, and each one surprises us with new challenges.

Last update 3 hours ago
People are wondering about the status of Sheep Flat Jane Doe. All we can say at this point is we are narrowing down her family, but sometimes the last mile is the longest. Every case is different, and each one surprises us with new challenges.

Its an exceptionally great news.... hope we hear about a press release next.

Created a list of updates just to keep up with progress, with no ill intent of being bothersome by any means. These DDP cases just get so exciting can't wait to see what comes up next ...:)

Last edited:
Do you guys think that LE will launch an investigation into her murder before publicly identifying her? Like try to find out if she had a boyfriend from her family, or friends that may lead to her boyfriend & questioning him BEFORE a press release of her name so he isn't spooked?

Last edited:
Do you guys think that LE would launch an investigation into her death before publicly identifying her? Like try to find out if she had a boyfriend from her family, or friends that may lead to her boyfriend & questioning him before a press release of her name?

Ya know leilarose68 I have been thinking that as well, something LE has stated was that if they can identify her they can identify her killer. With that being said it very well may be that they do a murder investigation into her death before releasing her identity.

I hope we get to know her name and life. It'd be interesting to know if she was born in Europe or lived in Europe.
Did they recover any shell casings or bullets? They could use them to try and see if the same gun had been used in other crimes.
Where about in Europe do people think she's from due to the scar?

I hope we get to know her name and life. It'd be interesting to know if she was born in Europe or lived in Europe.
Did they recover any shell casings or bullets? They could use them to try and see if the same gun had been used in other crimes.
Where about in Europe do people think she's from due to the scar?

DDP just mentioned that they are fairly certain she was born and raised in the US.

Originally there was some speculation that she was possibly from Germany due to her odd inoculation scar but that was/is not for certain at all. Also, a dentist said her dental work looked European but then another dentist disagreed with his assessment.

DDP just mentioned that they are fairly certain she was born and raised in the US.

Originally there was some speculation that she was possibly from Germany due to her odd inoculation scar but that was/is not for certain at all. Also, a dentist said her dental work looked European but then another dentist disagreed with his assessment.
I think she'll be identified soon. Will be interesting to see.

Ya know leilarose68 deep in some of her articles over the years I would have to go searching... Any who there was one statement about her dental work appearing to be European and it also noted the same type of work is done in Canada. I will have to go dig around to find it ... Found that adder of Canada interesting

I thought there was a possibility of her being Grabriele Hollube Uralli she is from Germany, all thou the thought is she jumped off the GG bridge. But with no actual body or evidence who is to say that she left of her own accord.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsjesse