Identified! NV - Washoe Co., WhtFem 156UFNV, 25-35, Sheep's Flat Trail, Jul'82 - Mary Edith Silvani

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
www.facebook.com/dnadoeproject

"Update on Sheep Flat Jane Doe:

We have some good DNA matches for Sheep Flat Jane Doe and at this point are optimistic we’ll identify her. From her matches we think that at least one of her grandparents was from Italy or of Italian descent. Meanwhile, we’ll post one of the ethnicity reports. Also, we have her mitochondrial haplogroup for those who care to research it - H16a1.

Thanks for your interest – we’ll keep you posted whenever we can."

Here is her admixture pie chart:
DNA Doe Project

Last edited:
It was a long memorial weekend, anxiously awaiting more updates from DDP this case and their work has been so intriguing. A doe getting her name and family back is so thrilling ... :)

I have a feeling (in my totally non-knowledgable opinion) that the next update we'll be getting will be from Washoe County PD talking about her identity, honestly. But I don't think that will be for another week because they would have to take time to confirm.

Are they going through all Unidentified Persons to try to get matches? I have seen that website on a couple of threads now and was just wondering how they are making their selections.

Not all. I’m not sure how they are selected. I assume funding has a lot to do with being selected. I also know they will not do children due to the potential offender being dna related as well.

From the various articles DDP is most likely working on more cases than is publicly known. Most likely due to circumstances of the case (i.e. murder, robbery, legal ramifications) LE could also loose the potential in apprehending the killer if ID'n of the UID victim is publicly known.

DDP has been working on a tool to submit cases there are a few mentions of the"new tool" on their FB page. I can imagine they have been super busy lately with the cases they have on tap... their posts were nearly daily now have gone down to @ a couple a week at most.

Assuming DDP go to the public for funding if LE does not have the funds available for the service.

Are they going through all Unidentified Persons to try to get matches? I have seen that website on a couple of threads now and was just wondering how they are making their selections.

Do you mean DNA Doe Project? I'm sure someone can give a clearer answer but my understanding is that they are choosing cases to solve based on several factors-- they have to have a contact with the investigators of a case who are willing to work with them, and the DNA availability/quality has to be just right for them to be able to test it and also funding needs to be available to do the new tests they need to do. For some cases they have raised the funding from people like us who follow UID cases and some cases they got funded by the LE involved in the case. The people doing the genealogy research based on the DNA are volunteers, so they are not getting paid anything, but the tests cost somewhere around $1500-$2000 (I can't remember exact amount). They have to do new DNA tests to pull out about 200,000 DNA markers for finding cousins of the UID on GedMatch, whereas the usual DNA tests on file only have a handful of markers for identifying the exact person. So there are many things that have to come together for DDP so be able to work on a UID case and solve it.

From the various articles DDP is most likely working on more cases than is publicly known. Most likely due to circumstances of the case (i.e. murder, robbery, legal ramifications) LE could also loose the potential in apprehending the killer if ID'n of the UID victim is publicly known.

DDP has been working on a tool to submit cases there are a few mentions of the"new tool" on their FB

But LE might also need the public's help in finding the killer... in Washoe Doe's case, the killer was likely her boyfriend

But LE might also need the public's help in finding the killer... in Washoe Doe's case, the killer was likely her boyfriend

I'm sure LE and/or DDP will reach out to the public when help is needed.

The killer obviously is a male since she was sexually assaulted and men's underwear was left over her womb the male's relation to WCJD could be of a few forms; i.e. acquaintance, friend, boyfriend, lover, husband. She knew her attacker in any case, there has got to be some type of DNA on the underwear and if sex was involved semen...

Cannot wait until she is ID'd

I'm sure LE and/or DDP will reach out to the public when help is needed.

The killer obviously is a male since she was sexually assaulted and men's underwear was left over her womb the male's relation to WCJD could be of a few forms; i.e. acquaintance, friend, boyfriend, lover, husband. She knew her attacker in any case, there has got to be some type of DNA on the underwear and if sex was involved semen...

Cannot wait until she is ID'd

I've read in several places that it's not uncommon for there to be no semen or even penetration in many rapes, because rapists are frequently not able to complete the act.

I've read in several places that it's not uncommon for there to be no semen or even penetration in many rapes, because rapists are frequently not able to complete the act.

But if men's underwear was left on her body it should have the owner's skin cells, pubic hairs or other biological traces on it. Whether it would be possible now to generate a DNA profile from those traces rather depends on how the underwear was stored in the meantime - assuming it hasn't been lost or thrown away in the meantime.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back