Identified! NV - Washoe Co., WhtFem 156UFNV, 25-35, Sheep's Flat Trail, Jul'82 - Mary Edith Silvani

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I contacted the Fort Smith PD about Linda Lou Ellen Reynolds to see if they had a better photograph that we could compare to our Doe. This is the reply I received:

Mr. Guzman;

Both the investigator currently assigned this case and I are out of the office until Monday. *We'll check the file when we get back. *I don't recall a better photograph but there may be. *I actually graduated from High School with Lindy, so if you have a photograph on your end, I would be more than happy to look at it. *My email address is *****. *

We greatly appreciate citizens like yourself who take time to look at cases like this. *Thanks for all that you do.

Sincerely;

Sergeant James "Poncho" Davis
Crimes against Persons Unit
Fort Smith Police Department

How cool is that?

wow, so much work has been done with this case in the last year.

Kudos to Charlie and everyone else!

A few thoughts I've had reading through all this:

- Were pictures taken of the scene? The footprints particularly could help: were they walking side by side, single file... size of the other prints? How did the one set of prints going away looked? still regular walking or rushed?

- the underwear covering the head is puzzling and seem more a fetish/spite thing than a concealment... On a hiking trail, some men underwear over the head would make it look all right?? or it could be to prevent the blood from seeping all over... was it soaked in blood? If the killer was an outdoorsy type, it could also have been done to hide the smell so scavengers wouldn't come mess around.

- From what I gather, the European origin came only from the medical examiner whose wife had similar dental work done in Germany. Weak link IMO

Who are you Washoe County Jane Doe?

- the underwear covering the head is puzzling and seem more a fetish/spite thing than a concealment... On a hiking trail, some men underwear over the head would make it look all right?? or it could be to prevent the blood from seeping all over... was it soaked in blood? If the killer was an outdoorsy type, it could also have been done to hide the smell so scavengers wouldn't come mess around.

I'm guessing that he was scared of her body being detected quickly and him being picked up and patted down by police on his way home. Two people with underwear in their pockets, chances are they belong together, right? 1982 was before forensic DNA profiling was developed, he had nothing to fear from leaving his underwear if no-one could identify it.

I guess from what I could infer, the foot prints must have been in a side by side manner and from the evidence at the scene, they victim and killer appeared to know each other. The shorts tends to prove that as well, it would be a psychological thing. By covering her face he wouldn't have to visually recognize her.

Alright guys, let's hold our investigation right now on the European aspect. I just received an email back from Det. Davis. Here is something I think you'll like.

"...I have received the photos. *I can actually see more similarities in the post mortem photo than in the computer generated one. I can also see things that does not seem quite right to me..."

This was a highlight of the reply. Hmmm, let's focus on Linda Reynolds for a moment.

Ok, it looks like we can take Linda Louellen Reynolds off of our list. Here is a snippet of an email I just received;

In reviewing the case file, I found where in September of 1982, our investigators talked with Detective Gary Martinelli Of the Washoe County Sheriff Office, in Reno, Nevada. *The information concerning that victim matches up with what you gave me earlier. That victim was found on a hiking trail near Lake Tahoe. The ages were similar, general description similar, even down to the scar. *However, according to our report, the information received back from them was that dental records and other information did not match. *So, if the victim you are talking about is the same as the one we talked with Detective Martinelli about back in 1982, then it appears that we do not have a match. *

Sadly it is not our doe. But at least Linda's family still has some hope.

Ok, it looks like we can take Linda Louellen Reynolds off of our list. Here is a snippet of an email I just received;

*So, if the victim you are talking about is the same as the one we talked with Detective Martinelli about back in 1982, then it appears that we do not have a match. * BBM

Sadly it is not our doe. But at least Linda's family still has some hope.

my only question is that his statement is qualified "IF the victim you are talking about is the same..."

what if it is NOT the same missing person? who would know the answer for sure?

my only question is that his statement is qualified "IF the victim you are talking about is the same..."

what if it is NOT the same missing person? who would know the answer for sure?

Yes, that is peculiar... are they not working with case numbers or something more specific than "trail near lake tahoe jane doe"?

Are they other unsolved deaths near lake tahoe during the same period??

Yes, that is peculiar... are they not working with case numbers or something more specific than "trail near lake tahoe jane doe"?

Are they other unsolved deaths near lake tahoe during the same period??

I am assuming, judging by the comment about a scar, that we are talking about the same UID or "victim" as the detective described the deceased.

I think the qualifier was referring to the comparative missing person and if she were the same person then she was ruled out on dentals.

I am assuming, judging by the comment about a scar, that we are talking about the same UID or "victim" as the detective described the deceased.

I think the qualifier was referring to the comparative missing person and if she were the same person then she was ruled out on dentals.

He is most likely looking through an old case file with little or no real case numbers.

it just dawned on me. the confusion arose since you did not specify from whom you received the email.

looking back on several posts, I think you got the email from someone in TX, investigating Linda Louellen Reynolds, who said they spoke with Washoe County people way back when and that the Doe was not Reynolds on account of mismatched dentals.

NamUs updated her rule-out listing today. It's a mile long. Probably mostly proposed matches from the automated matching system, as I don't think any human would suggest most of these.

Warning Postmortem Photo at Link:
https://identifyus.org/cases/8427

Edith LaRiviere is not among the names.

actually Carl, there is a rhyme and reason to the list of rule outs.

it includes virtually every woman missing before 1982 with green eyes, hazel eyes and abdominal scars. each independent search I ran produced x number of results and almost everyone appeared on the rule out list.

here is an interesting possibility.

there is a woman missing from Canada by the name of Terry Pettit who vanished along with her boyfriend. at the time she vanished in 1973, she was 24 y.o. According to her profile at Nampn, she had blonde hair and green eyes. she was noted to be 5'4" and 120 lbs. of particular interest, she is said to have had "extensive dental work". the UID had considerable dental work including a gold inlay and gold crown.

personality-wise, this was said about her "Terry is described as an early feminist, a rabble-rouser and a free spirit who drank scotch whisky, rolled her own cigarettes and dragged pals off on adventures." The profile also says she and her boyfriend might have entered the US.

there is nothing stated about scars, including a c-section; however, if she was rambling about for 9 years, she might have become pregnant and had a c-section.

http://www.nampn.org/cases/pettit_terry.html

This is one of the cases I keep coming back to again and again... What is stuck in my mind at the moment is the item regarding the feet: "The big toenail on the left foot was black from extensive bruise"

The report notes that in the distinguishing characterictics and not state of body so it must mean they concluded it was that way before death... but what does it actually mean black from extensive bruise? one big bang? recently or years before? there is nothing about a previously broken foot... or was it as some have speculated from years of wear and tear from occupation or hobby?

I searched for ballet dancer feet and saw some not pretty feet but none with black bruises... mostly crooked toes and worn down areas where the bones rubbed hard against the skin and muscles.

I am not great at searching for medical stuff but all I could find for black bruises were hard impact.

From what was described was it was bruised as if she had stubbed it really hard at the scene of the crime. As for if her shoes were on or not, I have no idea.

A friend of mine is a runner and wore bad shoes for a race and a toenail bruised and eventually fell off (blech blech blech). So I think any sort of super active person has this risk, not just a ballerina.

this thread went very quiet after Joseph Naso was arrested for murdering 4 women in Northern California.

has anyone heard anything more from the NV ME who is handling this case?

I haven't heard anything from the detective in a long time. Right now I'm working two jobs so I don't even have time to sleep let alone do some research on this case.

From what I can tell there are no new breaks in the case.

The new unsolved mysteries is looking for case submissions. Naturally I submitted this one. Hopefully it might pick up some interest with the production staff.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back