NY – Ex POTUS Donald Trump, sued by E. Jean Carroll, DT found liable re sexual assault, $5M award, countersuit dismissed, appeal rejected, 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Monday, May 8th:
*Trial continues (Day 8) with Charge Conference (@ 8am/9am & Jury @ 10am ET) - New YorkE. Jean Carrol’s battery (sexual assault/rape), emotional distress & a 2nd act of defamation (for Trump's comments on Truth Social in October) lawsuit against Donald John Trump.
The lawsuit for defamation & under a New York law which allows alleged victims of sexual assault to sue over alleged crimes outside the usual statute of limitations.
Trump lawyers: Joseph Tacopina, Alina Habba & W. Perry Brandt. U.S. District of Manhattan / U.S. District Judge Lewis A. Kaplan.
Carroll has sued Trump for defamation & for rape, saying Trump turned a friendly encounter at a luxury Manhattan department store in late 1995 or early 1996 into a violent rape.
Trial began on 4/25/23 with jury selection. 9 jurors (6 jurors & 3 alternates) (3 women & 6 men). (see post #108 page 6 for jury info).
Trial expected to last 5 to 10 days.
Charge conference at 9am on 5/8/23. Then summations at 10am Monday, with a shorten lunch & get them done before we are done for the day. The charge will be an hour on Tuesday, 5/9/23 & then the jury will begin deliberations.
Defamation charges postponed by Judge Lewis Kaplan on 3/30/23. Carroll's first defamation lawsuit against Trump was filed in November 2019. But that case has been put on hold while Trump argues that a federal law protects him from being sued for defamation for comments he made while president.

Case info from 2/15/23 thru 4/23/23 & Trial Day 1-6 (4/25-5/3/23) reference post #371 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...d-defamation-trial-25-apr-2023.673736/page-19

5/3/23 Wednesday, Trial Day 6: Additional info: Natasha Stoynoff, a former writer for People magazine.
for more info see posts #372 & 373 (articles) here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-for-battery-trial-25-apr-2023.673736/page-19

5/4/23 Thursday, Trial Day 7: The jury is being played excerpts from Mr Trump’s deposition.
for more info see posts #384, 385, 389 & 390 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-for-battery-trial-25-apr-2023.673736/page-20
Plaintiff witnesses: Carol Martin, friend of Carroll’s. Professor Ashlee Humpreys, of Northwestern. PhD in Cultural sociology & marketing. Roberta Myers, former Elle editor & friend of Carroll’s.
for more info see posts #393 thru 395 & 398 [pg 20], 414 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-for-battery-trial-25-apr-2023.673736/page-21
Plaintiff rested their case. Defense attorney Joe Tacopina rested their case, calling no witness. Judge gave Trump a final opportunity to seek to testify in his own defense. Deadline is Sunday at 5pm.
Judge Kaplan: I am committed to allowing parties to make their case. I will allow Mr. Trump up to 10 pm Sunday to make a motion to testify - I'm not saying I'll grant it, but I'll consider it and we'll see what happens. 10 pm Sunday, that's it. Tell Mr. Trump. Per Tacopina Trump will NOT be testifying.
After the Jury left. Judge Kaplan: Any motions? Tacopina: We move for a judgment as a matter of law. Judge Kaplan: Denied.
Trial continues on Monday, 5/8/23 with Charge conference hearing at 8am for plaintiff & defense comes in 9am. Jury back at 10am.

He doesn't care because he's not going to pay it anyway.

moo
If the jury finds for E.Jean, and there is a judgement, which he will surely appeal of course, and the appeals dead-end ( like all his others so far) he can be made to pay :

"If the defendant doesn't pay the damages awarded to the plaintiff in a civil case, the plaintiff may ask for an execution of the judgment. The clerk of the court in such a case will deliver the execution to the sheriff, commanding him to take and sell the property of the defendant and apply that money to the amount of the judgment."

When asked for comment on why Trump ultimately refused to defend himself at trial, Joe Tacopina said he would respond in his closing argument.

My guess is it will be something in the line of: "This all such baloney he will not even dignify it with his exalted presence" :p

If the jury finds for E.Jean, and there is a judgement, which he will surely appeal of course, and the appeals dead-end ( like all his others so far) he can be made to pay :

"If the defendant doesn't pay the damages awarded to the plaintiff in a civil case, the plaintiff may ask for an execution of the judgment. The clerk of the court in such a case will deliver the execution to the sheriff, commanding him to take and sell the property of the defendant and apply that money to the amount of the judgment."
I think the original poster was referring to the fact that he’ll appeal forever and, that at the end of the day, his supporters have donated enough funds to him to cover his costs anyway. It baffles me how donating to a person with so much money of his own by people who could really better use that money themselves for better reasons seems to be de rigour for Trump.

I think the original poster was referring to the fact that he’ll appeal forever and, that at the end of the day, his supporters have donated enough funds to him to cover his costs anyway. It baffles me how donating to a person with so much money of his own by people who could really better use that money themselves for better reasons seems to be de rigour for Trump.

Think how irrational his cult followers are: he is very wealthy yet they send him their hard earned money-- it is unreal

Trump "knows what he did; he knows he sexually assaulted E. Jean Carroll," her attorney Roberta Kaplan told the jury.

Attorneys for Trump, who say the 1996 incident never happened, get their turn later in the day.

The arguments are scheduled to take up most of the day; the jury is not expected to begin deliberations until Tuesday.

In Monday's closing arguments, Carroll's attorney, Roberta Kaplan, once again played for the jury the excerpt of Trump's October 2022 deposition in which he momentarily mistakes Carroll for his second wife.

"What did Mr. Trump do after I showed him that photograph?" Kaplan told the jury. "He looked at it for a moment and then, completely unprompted by me, he said, 'It's Marla.' She was exactly his type!"

Kaplan asserted that Trump only corrected himself when his own lawyer jumped in after realizing how potentially damaging the statement was.

"He said the photo was blurry. But that's the photo, ladies and gentleman," Kaplan said, putting the 1980s-era photograph of Carroll, her then-husband John Johnson, Trump, and his then-wife Ivana Trump on the screen in the courtroom. "The truth is that E. Jean Carroll, a former cheerleader and Ms. Indiana, was exactly Donald Trump's type."

Kaplan juxtaposed Trump's mistaken identification with his remarks on the "Access Hollywood" tape, on which he is heard saying about women that "I just start kissing them ... I don’t even wait" and that when you're a star you can "grab them by the p----."

"What is Donald Trump doing here?" Kaplan said. "He's telling you in his own words how he treats women. It's his modus operandi."

The attorney also repeated what Trump said during his deposition about how stars get away with the conduct. "Well that's what, if you look over the last million years, I guess that's been largely true. Not always, but largely true. Unfortunately or fortunately," Trump is heard saying.

"Fortunately or unfortunately?" Kaplan told the jury. "Who would say fortunately to describe the act of sexual assault? I know who. He thinks stars like him can get away with it. He thinks he can get away with it here."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298
Back