NY – Ex POTUS Donald Trump, sued by E. Jean Carroll for defamation, Trial 15 Jan 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
this video helped me gain a lot of insight about any possible "hope" for him appealing it lol
him walking in & out of the courtroom trying to distract the jury didn't exactly do him any favors either!
he is not above the law :)

And if he does want to appeal - he has to put up $83.3 million in assets PLUS 39% of another $18 million.... :)

And if he does want to appeal - he has to put up $83.3 million in assets PLUS 39% of another $18 million.... :)
haha! and i doubt he has that after his many company bankruptcies lol.
it is insane to me that a convicted rapist & defamer with 91 pending criminal charges is allowed to be up for election for president of the usa?? that doesn't seem right at all. i bet the founding fathers didn't put anything in the constitution about something like that bc they assumed we'd have enough common sense not to let anything get to that point LOL...

E Jean Carroll to spend $83m defamation award on 'something Donald Trump hates'​

E Jean Carroll says she plans to spend some of the $83.3m (£65m) won in her defamation case against ex-US President Donald Trump on something he hates.

She said she had been "terrified" to face Mr Trump in court, but that her fear melted away once she saw him.

[…]

Ms Carroll, 80, told ABC News on Monday: "I'd like to give the money to something Donald Trump hates.

"If it will cause him pain for me to give money to certain things, that's my intent."

The former magazine columnist suggested the money could be used to set up a "fund for the women who have been sexually assaulted by Donald Trump".

[…]

The writer - who conducted Monday's interview seated beside her lawyer, Roberta Kaplan - said she had found it difficult to eat or sleep in the weeks leading up to the trial.

But she said her anxiety evaporated when she saw him in court.

"I looked out," she said. "There he was and it was like he was like nothing - like an emperor without clothes."

Ms Carroll told ABC some of the jurors smiled at her as they left court after their decision to award $18.3m for compensatory damages and $65m in punitive damages was announced.

"It made me burst into tears because they met my eyes for the first time," she said.

Pending an appeal, Mr Trump, 77, must take steps to pay Ms Carroll, according to her lawyer.

Ms Kaplan said Mr Trump would either have to secure a bond, allowing him to avoid having to pay the full $83.3m right away.

But it would also require a bank to loan him a significant sum, carrying interest.
Mr Trump could also simply deposit $83.3m with the court.

When he was ordered to pay $5.5m for separate defamatory comments about Ms Carroll last year, he deposited the whole sum.

If he does neither of these things, Ms Carroll can "start collecting right away", Ms Kaplan said, adding she was "confident" he would pay eventually.

ANY woman who can stoop to vote for this corruptor, is nothing more than a woman still controlled by the ol American Patriarchy system.

If any woman thought for herself, and put her daughter or son in Ms Carroll's sexual assault or his criminal business dealings...MAYBE she would think differently.

Nope. They are all pinned with a Scarlett T.
Poppycock!

oh, I think he will appeal because an appeal will drag out for years.........

JMO
There are Trump supporters who are billionaires and could probably front him the $83 million + 15% in order to have a supreme amount of influence in his candidacy and possible (eek) presidency.

Sheldon Adelson was worth about $32 billion at his death in 2021 and his widow Shelly is a massive Trump supporter. She is not the only billionaire who would contribute.

I don't know how it can be legal or preventable that a person can wield such financial power yet be untouchable from the fraud and grift laws that exist.

‘He’s nothing’: E Jean Carroll says ‘we don’t need to be afraid’ of Donald Trump​

Former Elle writer says $83.3m defamation ruling shows Trump – who she compared to ‘a walrus snorting’ – ‘can be knocked down’

[…]

“It was an astonishing discovery for me – he’s nothing,” Carroll said Monday night on MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow show. Comparing Trump to “a walrus snorting” and “a rhino flopping his hands,” the former Elle magazine columnist added: “He can be knocked down.”

[…]

“Amazingly, I looked out, and he was nothing,” Carroll said to Maddow. “He was nothing. He was a phantom. It was the people around him who were giving him power. He himself was nothing.”

Carroll also joked to Maddow that she would take her shopping for a new wardrobe and buy her a penthouse with some of the money Trump had been ordered to pay up.

[…]

Carroll and her lead attorney, Roberta Kaplan, said Monday on Good Morning America that they were confident they would collect Friday’s judgment against Trump.

“I think we planted our flag,” Carroll added on MSNBC. “ I think we’ve made a statement that things are going to be different – that there is going to be a new way of doing this in this country.”

"That's Marla, yeah. That's my wife," he said, before being corrected, and told it was Carroll. The writer sued Trump for defamation and battery after he said she "made up" allegations that he raped in her a New York City department store in the mid-1990s. Trump has adamantly denied the allegations and claimed Carroll "is not my type."

Roberta Kaplan, lawyer for @ejeancarroll
files a scathing response to Alina Habba’s allegations of impropriety.The zinger: Roberta Kaplan reserves all rights per Rule 11 to seek sanctions for Trump/Habba’s baseless, post-verdict claims.

Habba's conflict claim is based entirely on a single-anonymous source story in the NY Post.Carroll's lawyer questions how the tabloid came to publish it, and if the supposed partner at Paul Weiss — the firm where she and the judge both worked — "even exists."

Bottom line: Judge Kaplan and Roberta Kaplan overlapped for a mere 1 year and 10 months at a huge law firm. Roberta does not recall any direct interaction with Judge Kaplan when he was a senior partner at the firm and she was just a junior associate.

In addition R. Kaplan calls out the suspect timing of Habba’s claims: the NY Post article appeared *after* Habba told the press after the trial that she had learned that both Kaplans had worked at the same law firm.

“From the very start of the recently concluded trial, Donald Trump and Ms. Habba have pushed a false narrative of judicial bias so that they could characterize any jury verdict against Trump as the product of a corrupt system.”

“…it is now time for defendant’s false and vexatious claims of bias or impropriety to stop.”

Roberta Kaplan, lawyer for @ejeancarroll
files a scathing response to Alina Habba’s allegations of impropriety.The zinger: Roberta Kaplan reserves all rights per Rule 11 to seek sanctions for Trump/Habba’s baseless, post-verdict claims.

Habba's conflict claim is based entirely on a single-anonymous source story in the NY Post.Carroll's lawyer questions how the tabloid came to publish it, and if the supposed partner at Paul Weiss — the firm where she and the judge both worked — "even exists."

Bottom line: Judge Kaplan and Roberta Kaplan overlapped for a mere 1 year and 10 months at a huge law firm. Roberta does not recall any direct interaction with Judge Kaplan when he was a senior partner at the firm and she was just a junior associate.

In addition R. Kaplan calls out the suspect timing of Habba’s claims: the NY Post article appeared *after* Habba told the press after the trial that she had learned that both Kaplans had worked at the same law firm.

“From the very start of the recently concluded trial, Donald Trump and Ms. Habba have pushed a false narrative of judicial bias so that they could characterize any jury verdict against Trump as the product of a corrupt system.”

“…it is now time for defendant’s false and vexatious claims of bias or impropriety to stop.”

Roberta Kaplan is a very impressive lawyer.

Alina Habba is playing cheap games of publicity manipulation. Not impressive for a lawyer. Trump should see her for the loser she is, but clearly, this accusation originated in his camp.

"That's Marla, yeah. That's my wife," he said, before being corrected, and told it was Carroll. The writer sued Trump for defamation and battery after he said she "made up" allegations that he raped in her a New York City department store in the mid-1990s. Trump has adamantly denied the allegations and claimed Carroll "is not my type."

It’s so not “very blurry”! :) In that photo at least she was more his type than his wife! :D

RSBM
This is so like what Trump and cronies did before the last election, got in right at the beginning with their predictions of vote rigging.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08
Back