NY NY - Alice Parsons: Heiress, Long Island, 1937

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wow! Just read from the beginning!

Any news from marilynpa?

I am totally captivated now....

How much more interesting would it have been if she had claimed to be Anastasia??

On a more serious note, considering all her deception, what if the kid wasn't her's either, but one she simply took from England to add to the con?

Omg I just spent like 3 hours reading this thread. I am so bummed that Mary kinda fell off the map. :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just a few hours behind you reading tonight, Tssiemer. Fascinating case. I checked Marilyn's profile too and sent her a pm asking/begging her to let the thread know how she and the book are coming along. I hope we hear from her.

I'm inclined to think that Roy was William's son (unless photos show otherwise). My grandfather and his second wife adopted a two year old boy when my mother was about 19. In his old age he looks a lot like my grandfather and I think he is really his son although I could never prove it. So that sort of stuff wouldn't surprise me.

I suspect the change of the will may have been a forgery by Anna. I can't imagine Alice knowingly turning over her fortune to Anna, unless she was really naive. I don't think she was. I'm not sure if William was in on the disappearance/murder before the fact. But I'm sure he figured it out pretty quickly. His comment about being in a jam indicates that to me.

I would not be surprised if Anna was valuable enough to J. Edgar Hoover for her Russian connections that she was protected from arrest. I'd really like to see those archives!

I'm so impressed with the research on this thread. What a collaboration! I want to read the book!!

PICTURES OF ALICE!

https://plus.google.com/photos/104082575484124684880/albums/5232642411975619409?banner=pwa

Look at the picture on the bottom left. If you click the pic, it says it's of her and Howard with a question mark for the woman in between. Could that be a picture of Anna???

What a lovely album! It's so nice to be able to see Alice and her family!

very lovely women alice was. nice to see real photos instead of ones from the papers, they didnt do her justice. loved the pic when she was a girl with her mother

I got a pm back from Marilyn. I don't think she'll mind if I let you know what is going on. She had a serious injury to her right shoulder and wrist that has required rehab, so that has set her back and kept her from typing much. She will come back when she can type more easily and hopes to have the book ready for a publisher this year. She said that two more boxes of documents dealing with Anna were recently released at the National Archives! She needs to review those. Wishing her a speedy recovery!

:getwell:

I got a pm back from Marilyn. I don't think she'll mind if I let you know what is going on. She had a serious injury to her right shoulder and wrist that has required rehab, so that has set her back and kept her from typing much. She will come back when she can type more easily and hopes to have the book ready for a publisher this year. She said that two more boxes of documents dealing with Anna were recently released at the National Archives! She needs to review those. Wishing her a speedy recovery!

:getwell:

yeah!! so happy!! I really want to read it!!

I had been wondering where Marilyn went

I sent her a pm a couple of weeks ago and she said she'd stop by and post. She still plans to look at National Archives boxes of info. Shall we all send her a pm to nag her? :D

omg, ya'll. I just read through this whole thread yesterday. I am so amazed at the work that everyone has done on this case, and I can't wait to read Marilyn's book.

One of the most fascinating threads I've read on WS..... I am amazed at the combined efforts (and sleuthing abilities) of the group! I wonder if the original poster is still working on her book? I'd love to read it, for sure.

Hi guys,

I'm a long time floater on this forum, and just made an account so I could comment on this case specifically.

Something sticks out for me about Anna's name, Anna Stanislava Kuprianova (nee Shishkova). It really doesn't sound quite right to be an authentic Russian name.

Russian naming practices are VERY rigid. Recently, I was reading War and Peace and getting very confused with all the characters multiple names, so I did a little research on Russian naming practices. They typically have three names: a first name, a patronymic and a family name. The first name is the individual's name, the patronymic is derived from the father's name and the family name operates just like a Western surname.

Let's take a famous Russian, the murdered Princess Anastasia, as our example. His full Russian name was Anastasia Nikolaevna Romanova. Anastasia was her given name, Romanova the female version of the family name "Romanov". The patronymic "Nikolaevna", is because her father's name was Nikolai. Her brother, Alexei, had the male version of the patronymic, hence his full name was Alexei Nikolaevich Romanov.

Now back to Anna. As others have mentioned, both Kuprianova and Shishkova are the female versions of her husband and father's surnames, Kuprianov and Shishkov respectively. It is the Stanislava that sent bells ringing for me. Firstly, if that was her middle name, we should expect Anna's father to be named something like Stanislav [unknown patronymic] Shishkov, but instead I seem to recall that her father was known by another name (which I can't find now on this huge thread! Perhaps someone can remind me).

Also, Stanislava is the incorrect patronymic for a daughter of a man called "Stanislav". The female patronymic for a daughter of a man called Stanislav would be Stanislavovna/Stanislavevna, as the male version would be "Stanislavovich". I can only think of two explanations for this - that it was an attempt at anglicisation/mistake by the immigration authorities, or that Anna was not "Russian", but another ethnicity that had slightly different naming practices. She was born in Crimea, which is now a disputed territory between Russia and Ukraine. Maybe she had Ukrainian ancestry? Or Yugoslavian, as has been suggested?

I know this may add a little confusion to Anna's past, but also may give us a lead on her background. Was her father's name Stanislav Shishkov?

Hi guys,

I'm a long time floater on this forum, and just made an account so I could comment on this case specifically.

Something sticks out for me about Anna's name, Anna Stanislava Kuprianova (nee Shishkova). It really doesn't sound quite right to be an authentic Russian name.

Russian naming practices are VERY rigid. Recently, I was reading War and Peace and getting very confused with all the characters multiple names, so I did a little research on Russian naming practices. They typically have three names: a first name, a patronymic and a family name. The first name is the individual's name, the patronymic is derived from the father's name and the family name operates just like a Western surname.

Let's take a famous Russian, the murdered Princess Anastasia, as our example. His full Russian name was Anastasia Nikolaevna Romanova. Anastasia was her given name, Romanova the female version of the family name "Romanov". The patronymic "Nikolaevna", is because her father's name was Nikolai. Her brother, Alexei, had the male version of the patronymic, hence his full name was Alexei Nikolaevich Romanov.

Now back to Anna. As others have mentioned, both Kuprianova and Shishkova are the female versions of her husband and father's surnames, Kuprianov and Shishkov respectively. It is the Stanislava that sent bells ringing for me. Firstly, if that was her middle name, we should expect Anna's father to be named something like Stanislav [unknown patronymic] Shishkov, but instead I seem to recall that her father was known by another name (which I can't find now on this huge thread! Perhaps someone can remind me).

Also, Stanislava is the incorrect patronymic for a daughter of a man called "Stanislav". The female patronymic for a daughter of a man called Stanislav would be Stanislavovna/Stanislavevna, as the male version would be "Stanislavovich". I can only think of two explanations for this - that it was an attempt at anglicisation/mistake by the immigration authorities, or that Anna was not "Russian", but another ethnicity that had slightly different naming practices. She was born in Crimea, which is now a disputed territory between Russia and Ukraine. Maybe she had Ukrainian ancestry? Or Yugoslavian, as has been suggested?

I know this may add a little confusion to Anna's past, but also may give us a lead on her background. Was her father's name Stanislav Shishkov?
Very interesting! I am off to do some reading now... Thanks for posting this.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Really hoping there will be more to come on this.

Alice deserves her story to be told.

:welcome: SeeThemFly! Thanks so much for the information on Russian names. You may be onto something.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back