Found Deceased NY - Avonte Oquendo, 14, Long Island City, 4 Oct 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Plumeria, what was the part that was edited out of that video?

The young man is talking to Avonte's uncle and he says that someone told him where Avonte was. But in the video we don't hear where "there" is. The guy says, "He's there. Yea. That's what he (the homeless man) told me."

Maybe that is the same tip that has to do with the homeless man with a big suitcase on Skillman Ave. near a warehouse?
How frustrating for this family!

http://pix11.com/2013/10/12/search-f...#axzz2hdauRUoI

I am interested in the comment that it is hoped that the city would go out of business...

Note... The mother is attempting to sue the city... Therefore the city taxpayers-citizens would be detrimentally affected, as well...

:waitasec:

And this case will still bring awareness to a special needs school.
WHERE they have GUARDS for a reason; to keep the children inside.
YES you can sue big so the city feels it.

I understand that citizens pay for it. I care about lives and sometimes its costs to keep them safe and alive.,,,
WE PAY ANYWAY, they are not going to lower our tax anytime soon.

The greater good. It's not about making them pay. Suing so it doesn't happen again, suing so procedures are changed, suing so no other parent has to go through the horror of their child disappearing, suing for doctor bills because of him running away. That is why I would sue. Suing for money is self serving. Jmo

I agree and suing sometimes put additional rulles into the system.
LIKE; a door must never be unattended no matter the reason.
2 people must be at the door - one may leave for brakes. just saying....

The young man is talking to Avonte's uncle and he says that someone told him where Avonte was. But in the video we don't hear where "there" is. The guy says, "He's there. Yea. That's what he (the homeless man) told me."

Maybe that is the same tip that has to do with the homeless man with a big suitcase on Skillman Ave. near a warehouse?
How frustrating for this family!

http://pix11.com/2013/10/12/search-f...#axzz2hdauRUoI

Oh okay, gotcha. Thank you. The big suitcase could just be the homeless man's belongings? I hope.

Sigh. Yes, so frustrating for his poor family. I check in on this thread at least three times a day, hoping so badly each time to see the "Found Alive" proclamation on his thread.

I agree and suing sometimes put additional rulles into the system.
LIKE; a door must never be unattended no matter the reason.
2 people must be at the door - one may leave for brakes. just saying....

Songline I notice you are in NY. How huge is this there? Is it getting enough news coverage and volunteers for searches?

I know that here in CA the locked psychiatric wards have a safe guard that unlocks the doors when fire is detected. I don't see why the school can't do that. They could at least alarm the door so if someone bolted, staff could give chase immediately. Jmo

That's true, very true. They need something besides one lackadaisical guard. Apparently at his other school he'd escaped at least one other time, too.

Oh okay, gotcha. Thank you. The big suitcase could just be the homeless man's belongings? I hope.

Sigh. Yes, so frustrating for his poor family. I check in on this thread at least three times a day, hoping so badly each time to see the "Found Alive" proclamation on his thread.

When I initially heard a homeless man lugging a big suitcase, it scared me! Hopefully he uses a suitcase as opposed to others who seem to like grocery carts. :dunno:

Can someone confirm for me please did his mum sue the school (or education board) before he went missing or after?

Its been so long for Avonte to be missing - hoping he's found soon :(

http://www.annarbor.com/news/educat...t-pursuit-of-new-locked-door-policy-for-aaps/

Locked door policy pursued after school shootings. Keeping people out but could work in reverse for keeping students in.

I don't think I'd want my kids locked in or out of school grounds, even if I had special needs kids. My thoughts on this again are fire risk. Also, what if a gunman somehow did get into the school (fed ex delivery etc) I'd hate to think the kids were locked inside and not able to run. Or if they arrived late and someone followed them, if the doors were locked they would have to wait for someone to unlock before they would be safe. JMO I personally wouldn't want to be locked inside any facility.

With autistic kids, I don't think the door locks are the only issue. They can also get into just as much trouble right on the school grounds if they are not supervised correctly. I think the main issue is more supervision, and certainly a better security guard. With Avonte, he escaped because lack of supervision from security guard and chaos in the lunch room. I bet if there were a loud alarm on that exterior door it would do 2 things:#1 just the noise itself would scare and deter any bolsters. #2 it wouldn't take staff an hour to realize someone just bolted. JMO MOO

Can someone confirm for me please did his mum sue the school (or education board) before he went missing or after?

Its been so long for Avonte to be missing - hoping he's found soon :(

It was after he bolted

I don't think I'd want my kids locked in or out of school grounds, even if I had special needs kids. My thoughts on this again are fire risk. Also, what if a gunman somehow did get into the school (fed ex delivery etc) I'd hate to think the kids were locked inside and not able to run. Or if they arrived late and someone followed them, if the doors were locked they would have to wait for someone to unlock before they would be safe. JMO I personally wouldn't want to be locked inside any facility.

With autistic kids, I don't think the door locks are the only issue. They can also get into just as much trouble right on the school grounds if they are not supervised correctly. I think the main issue is more supervision, and certainly a better security guard. With Avonte, he escaped because lack of supervision from security guard and chaos in the lunch room. I bet if there were a loud alarm on that exterior door it would do 2 things:#1 just the noise itself would scare and deter any bolsters. #2 it wouldn't take staff an hour to realize someone just bolted. JMO MOO

I agree. Even with elopement issues as many autistic children/adults have, the answer is not a prison classroom. It was proven he had eloped previously, and in most schools with autistics with that issue they are assigned a 1:1, who never leaves their side. He definitely should have had 1:1 supervision. I am fearful with the high reward for his return, and the days passed, he is in serious trouble. :(

Again, I know NOTHING about NY!

In VA however , there are state laws about restraining. Even side rails on a geriatics bed is considered as restraints!!! No I'm not kidding. Anything that restricts movement is considered a restraint. (So I say Ban Bras. ;) ) But seriously, even in an alzheimers unit, we weren't allowed a locked facility, and you're talking about grown adults that decide they want to leave, and will find a way to leave! The solution was monitors attached to the ankles, and alarms on the doors that went off if someone wearing a monitor went through the door. Most of the facilities I worked for also had alarms on all exterior doors. Some you had to go hit certain numbers on a keypad to deactivate the alarm, and others the alarm only sounded for a few seconds... something like 15 seconds, but it was LOUD!

Locking doors is also considered a fire hazard here.

One place I worked was kinda scary because it was a motel converted into a nursing home. Each patient room had an exterior door!! The back yard was fenced in, but not the front, and the front of the building faced a major highway. Luckily we didn't have many wanderers there.

I am riding Metro North from CT to NYC right now, and 2 MTA cops were waiting at my stop. This isn't confirmed, but people are saying they are searching for Avonte. I will ask the conductor when he comes by.

Im not so sure they are allowed to lock the doors from inside.
They have to be able to get out!
Yes you can lock the door so ppl outside cant get in but u cant lock it so the ppl inside cant get out!

Serious question:

Would school officials be in more trouble for a missing child, or a dead child? Reason I'm wondering, if they could be charged with something like manslaughter (don't know that they can!), and one of the school personnel found him, would they report it? Or let it go on as a missing child?

I am seriously afraid that bringing up the lawsuit issue NOW will only hinder communications between the parents and the school. Again, jmo, but wrong timing!!!

And yes I read the post about the statue of limitations, however, I'm almost positive you have more than a week to file! Come on!! That makes no sense to me at all, and the focus should be on finding Avonte!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iwantapuppy
Back