Identified! NY - Brooklyn, WhtMale, 20-30, 6'8", 539 lbs, Sep'11 - Kenneth Ecker

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Question, I live in the area and am tempted to visit the doorman and ask him if the guy had an accent or anything like that, do you think if i ask in a respectful manner and say that i am part of a volunteer effort to help identify this guy, would that be OK?

I am not sure how WS feels about doing that. But, it may lead to some very helpful information. You would think that the police or ME would have talked to him already, but nothing suprises me at this point. Time and resources play a huge role in all of this.

I would like to know which direction he came from. Was he out of breath? Had he seen the guy in the area before?

I guess we need to wait to get a definitive yes/no answer from a mod here first before we go snooping around and asking questions.

Question, I live in the area and am tempted to visit the doorman and ask him if the guy had an accent or anything like that, do you think if i ask in a respectful manner and say that i am part of a volunteer effort to help identify this guy, would that be OK?

I think that would be appropriate in this situation. I mean, it doesn't sound like this is getting much coverage, so it's not like he is swamped with reporters or anything. Also, I think it is likely you could get details from the doorman that were not reported by the sources we currently have. I guess you would need to go on about the same day of the week and time to get the right doorman on your first visit.

Are there any flyers up in the neighborhood, I wonder? Maybe not anymore.

if it wasn't for this thread i would have never heard about it, local BK papers have nothing either

Then I would say go for it!! Let's get this one figured out.

I like that spirit!
If this involved talking to a friend or family of a victim or police, I would be very cautious and very hesitant. However, this situation sounds like an exception. You would be simply representing yourself, and not WS, so I think it is OK. I know that we are normally not supposed to mention WS when contacting anyone regarding a case that has been discussed on WS. But I am still new here, so I'm not an authority on that!

Why did they ask about him in the Jewish community? Was there something about him that indicated he might be Jewish?

Why did they ask about him in the Jewish community? Was there something about him that indicated he might be Jewish?

I don't think there was any indication that he was Jewish.

i think it's just that this took place in a Jewish neighborhood, and they have very strict protocols. For example, they don't allow autopsies, and they don't embalm or have public viewing, and burial is supposed to take place as soon as possible after death.

It appears that this was just a heads-up to the community so that just in case he was Jewish, he could be identified ASAP, and consequently their customs could be honored.

This case is just plain impossible without more information that the police SHOULD have...

1. What apartment did he jump from?

2. How did he get into the apartment? Break in or key?

2b. What did he tell the doorman exactly.

3. Did they find shoes in the apartment he jumped from?

4. Did they find a pen/marker in the apartment?

5. Did they canvas the area to find out if anyone recognized or saw this 6'8" guy before? Some early posting which had his age in error said he lived across the street. Where did this come from?

6. Anything in his stomach to give clue? Including toxicology.

We need more to go on.......

I know this is a longshot

Shannon Clair LaBau

Pros:
Same facial type....doughy fair haired with light eyes.
Had at least one pierced ear
Was going to get money from bank to buy a car. Maybe he decided to go to NY with his cash instead.
Maybe the height was a typo....6'3 instead of 6'8?

Cons:
Age...unless weight gain made him puffy and thus younger looking.
Tattoo inconsistancies...maybe NY gave Montana boy an edge and he got new tats but where did the unfinished dragon go...lasered?

Hey all, I typically lurk but something about the Jewish culture, many jews find it to be a "sin" to get a tattoo. So him being a semi jewish area and if he has a family they probably would frown upon it. But he also could of just wanted one and didn't care what anyone thought.

This case is just plain impossible without more information that the police SHOULD have...

1. What apartment did he jump from?

2. How did he get into the apartment? Break in or key?

2b. What did he tell the doorman exactly.

3. Did they find shoes in the apartment he jumped from?

4. Did they find a pen/marker in the apartment?

5. Did they canvas the area to find out if anyone recognized or saw this 6'8" guy before? Some early posting which had his age in error said he lived across the street. Where did this come from?

6. Anything in his stomach to give clue? Including toxicology.

We need more to go on.......

I guess I have a different mental image of what this building looks like. I didn't think he jumped from an actual apartment. I pictured more like the hallway that goes in front of the doors down into the courtyard below. Maybe some pictures of the inside of this apartment building would help. Is there access to the courtyard without being inside an apartment? If not, how did he get into a "vacant" apartment and how did he know it was vacant?

A Websleuths member once mentioned (possibly in one of the Rodney Alcala threads) that she had hitchhiked often as a teenager and would write her SSN on her foot in the hopes she would be identified just in case anything ever happened to her.

That has little to do with this case except maybe our John Doe did think the writing on his foot would help identify him. The question is, why didn't he just write his real name instead of something so cryptic?

If he was an online gamer, he might have posted a "goodbye" message that was misinterpreted as a notice he was leaving the game forever, not planning to harm himself. I'm a member of an amateur art site and members there, especially younger ones, will often post dramatic "I'm fed up and I'm leaving this site forever" messages, with the punchline being they often reactivate their account within days after receiving dramatic pleas to stick around. John Doe might have mistakenly assumed his farewell message would be linked to the reports of an unidentified decedent with his username/handle written on a foot, but he may have also overestimated his importance in the game and the gaming community didn't rally to find out where one of its missing team members went.

Rickyv, if you do stop by the building to talk to the doorman, you might want to keep an eye out for the type of railing seen in the NamUs photo with the beanie. It's a wrought-iron railing sunk into what appears to be a curb, and finding it might give a good idea of where he could have exited the building. Does the wall of the building directly above the railing contain what appear to be hallway windows or apartment windows? Depending on the architecture of the building, is there a chance his shoes could still be tucked behind a ledge or a drainpipe? Would the doorman have even agreed to call the resident of the apartment John Doe had asked for if Doe was wearing only socks at the time, assuming he noticed this fact?

I doubt he would have asked to visit Lida Arakelyan by name. The doorman would have no doubt recognized her name as the suicide victim and immediately become suspicious.

I feel bad for the doorman as well as John Doe. He was no doubt mostly concerned with keeping out unwanted solicitors and protecting the residents of the building, and he had no idea someone would run past him intent on harming himself. :(

the building is a typical NYC apartment building, about 15 stories with a glass double door entrance and a stairwell and elevator, i have never been inside the building but i have been in other buildings in the area and they usually have the same make up. The area has pockets of very religious Jewish communities but i doubt this gentleman was part of it. I still think someone wrote the message on the bottom of his foot as a goof or while he was sleeping, i have several high connections in the NYPD and will probably try to see if they have any more info instead of visiting the doorman.

I guess I have a different mental image of what this building looks like. I didn't think he jumped from an actual apartment. I pictured more like the hallway that goes in front of the doors down into the courtyard below. Maybe some pictures of the inside of this apartment building would help. Is there access to the courtyard without being inside an apartment? If not, how did he get into a "vacant" apartment and how did he know it was vacant?

This story says he jumped from the roof, which is more believable to me than him accessing an apartment and then jumping from it.

However, the other facts in this story do not agree with the report in the NamUs file, so I'm not sure what to think.

http://www.nybuff.org/2011/09/fatal-jumper-down.html

This story says he jumped from the roof, which is more believable to me than him accessing an apartment and then jumping from it.

However, the other facts in this story do not agree with the report in the NamUs file, so I'm not sure what to think.

http://www.nybuff.org/2011/09/fatal-jumper-down.html

Thanks for sharing that link. It sounds like they know exactly where he came from, but maybe they just assumed he came from the building across the street. They also say that he was "in his 40s." That is totally different than the 20-30 that is listed in NamUS. I think that the article was written very early on, so I guess the details could have been sketchy. If he came from across the street, wouldn't a landlord be searching for a tennant that hasn't paid his bills!? He couldn't possibly have come from very far away.

From the photos in the article it appears that there were a lot of people standing around, so people in the neighborhood had to have been talking about it. Didn't anyone remember seeing this guy prior to that day? I would think that a 500 lb. man running around with a Spiderman hat on would be pretty memorable.

So, there was apparently easy roof access.

Also, from a very quick google street view, it looks like this building is a lot taller than the ones near it, maybe that was a factor that caused him choose it.

Also, from a very quick google street view, it looks like this building is a lot taller than the ones near it, maybe that was a factor that caused him choose it.

I had the same thoughts...

The neighborhood is very close to the highway and there are two long long running parks that go down the sides of the street with service roads right behind them. Based on how close this is to Church Avenue there could be a lot of drug dealers in this neighborhood. The part is pretty during the day but at night I imagine it is not so great.

Also there are many Black, Hispanic, Russians and Orthodox Jews in the area. So it's also one of these sort of "creepy" areas in Brooklyn where social and cultural groups that don't get along sort of mesh up against each other and create vacuums of community if that makes any sense.

If they say he lived across the street he may have just hung out in the park on the other side of the roadway and people assumed he lived over there but he didn't.

Respectfully, BBM.

I vehemently disagree with this portrayal. Tensions exist in all areas that are meccas to different ethnic groups. As a native NYer, I don't want others to get the wrong impression that this neighborhood is even remotely "creepy":

In a “Crime & Safety” report issued by DNA/Info and detailed in AM/NY, Kensington/Boro Park ranks at the top of its list of the 5 safest Brooklyn neighborhoods and is considered the third safest neighborhood in the entire city.

http://www.kensingtonprospect.com/c...-park-tops-list-of-safest-bklyn-neighborhoods

Good point. Do you think he knew which apartment was vacant or do you think he just got lucky and picked an empty one? Even though he jumped off the roof, I wonder if that specific apartment had any significance to him, such as it used to be his or someone he knew.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader
Back