NY - Captured, escaped convicted killers, David Sweat & Richard Matt, Dannemora #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess they planned on being so far away so fast that they wouldn't need a disguise. Seems ridiculous! Poor planning but they have not been able to watch all the news in years or even CSI, so they don't know about forensics, dna, security cameras, all that stuff.

but there are visitors, phonecalls, letters, and contact with prison workers & other prisoners who are aware of those things so they wouldn't be completely in the dark

depending on how lax the prison is (hahahahaha), they might also have had access to newspapers, magazines, books, movies etc. that contain references to that stuff

They went one block in that pipe, Can you even imagine it?

Anyway, with the Prison Break movie posted a few posts earlier, they really brought home the infirmation that the prison is a maze. How did they know where all of these pipes went and how they worked in the system? Someone with a lot of knowledge had to tell them.

I wonder if they bonded with some workmen?

The brutality of Sweat and Matt really comes out in that film. Monsters. Matt was a real evil ine. He lived to hurt and kill.

some of those workmen could've even been former prisoners?

--PS. Vermont State Police issued a statement praising NY LE for their work and not mentioning their own. That's Vermont. :) The officer who took Matt down was 100%, for a fact, Vermont LE working Border Patrol (my SIL is Vermont LE....horse's mouth, so to speak). Given all those joining forces to help out, it could have ended up being any one from a lot of places, but....it wasn't. Good job, VT LE.

It was stated in the media by AP News, Saracuse.com news and a few others 2 days ago on June 26, 2015 at 6:59 PM that the Border Patrol Officer is from Vermont.

Even the time included.... that is probably the most thorough media citation I have ever seen on WS. :)

Yep. I thought I heard VT LE earlier on, but there was mention here of the responsible LEO being from Texas and later media reports just say border patrol. It was easy to verify with my SIL so I did. The who of it doesn't make a hill of beans difference in the big or little picture, but I'm still proud he is a Vermonter.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_28395986/border-patrol-agent-who-shot-and-killed-new

"The Border Patrol agent who shot and killed a fugitive convicted of murder in upstate New York is stationed in El Paso and is a member of an elite squad headquartered at Fort Bliss, officials said Saturday.

The squad, known as the Border Patrol Tactical Unit, provides immediate response to high risk incidents both in the United States and around the world, an official of the group said.

The agent shot and killed Richard Matt"

----------

^^ that's where El Paso came from. I have never seen anything say it was a VT guy except the same very early news reports that said Sweat is in a gun battle with police when in fact he wasn't spotted until 2 days later. And of course Chuck Schumer keep saying it but he'll parrot anything.

ETA - They keep saying it was a border patrol agent with an elite tactical unit and the man was STATIONED in El Paso but I bet he was a VT native. That's the only thing that would explain why both stories are out there IMO.

Now I just want to know why so many MSM places call it a "Boarder" ... it's not like anyone was renting a room to anyone! They're so lazy nowadays, of course spell check didn't pick that up, they're both real words. I saw something about the "Forth" of July recently as well. :facepalm:

The Officer's name is being withheld for now.

At this link

WCAX News said:
Federal officials say they plan to continue to withhold the name of the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol agent who fatally shot a New York prison escapee last week, at least for now.

New York State Police said the agent who shot convicted killer Richard Matt, 49, was a member of the U.S. Border Patrol Tactical Unit out of Vermont's Swanton sector.

The agent "discharged several rounds from a semi-automatic weapon striking Matt in the head three times," state police said. Matt carried a stolen 20-gauge shotgun, police said.

John C. Pfeifer, chief patrol agent for the Swanton sector, said the agency requires the name of the agent be withheld while an internal investigation into the use of force is undertaken.

The refusal to release the name stands in sharp contrast to New York officials, who identified state police Sgt. Jay Cook as the officer who shot and wounded the second escaped prisoner, David Sweat, at about 3:20 p.m. Sunday. The name was released later that afternoon.

The manhunt is officially over as David Sweat was taken into police custody, thanks in large part to Sgt. Jay Cook. New York Police Superintendent Joseph D'Amico says the escapees may have used pepper to throw police dogs off their scent. VPC

Pfeifer said the Swanton sector, like other areas, has a tactical team, known as BORTAC. Members are "specially trained and equipped for rapid response to situations involving threats to national and border security requiring specialized tactics and training."

The El Paso Times is reporting that the law officer was a federal border agent assigned to BORTAC at Fort Bliss, Texas, who killed escapee Matt. The group is considered a special national team and were on special assignment to the massive three-week manhunt northern New York.

The Times story was based on the local commander of BORTAC, who asked to remain anonymous, the paper reported.

Pfeifer said Customs and Border Protection brought in additional support that included BORTAC members from the El Paso area along with a Black Hawk helicopter from Detroit.

Pfeifer and Kris Grogan, a Border Patrol spokesman, said the agency has policies and protocols that must be followed in officer-involved shootings. Withholding a shooter's name is part of the procedure, they said.

"We have our own investigations to go through with the use of force," Grogan said.

Grogan said he expects the name to be released within the coming days.

U.S. Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., said Friday after the fatal shooting of Matt that the Border Patrol agent was from Vermont, The Associated Press reported. There has been no other source indicating the agent was tied to Vermont.

Attempts by the Burlington Free Press to reach Schumer were unsuccessful. His press office also failed to respond.

The Swanton sector of the Customs and Border Protection covers the international border from the Maine-New Hampshire line to the Ogdensberg, New York, area. There are eight border stations, including four in Vermont: Swanton, Richford, Newport and Canaan.

The other four stations are in New York: Champlain, Burke, Massena and Ogdensburg.

Federal policy

Pfeifer said the New York State Police requested assistance from the Swanton sector in support of the operation to find the two men who broke out of the Clinton Correctional Facility in Dannemora, N.Y., on June 6.

Hours after the capture of the second prisoner, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo named and hailed the officer who shot and wounded David Sweat, 35. The governor called Cook a "hero" and mentioned the officer had two teenage daughters at home.

State police also provided additional background on Cook, including that he was a 21-year police veteran and had worked his career in B Troop, which covers the area of the escape.

The superintendent of the New York State Police made the decision to release the name immediately of Cook, department spokesman Beau Duffy told the Burlington Free Press.

It was unknown which border station the agent who shot Matt was assigned to or how long he had worked for Customs and Border Protection.

The 295-mile section of the international border covered by the Swanton sector has an authorized strength of about 300 agents, Pfeifer said. He declined to say how many members are part of BORTAC.

The use-of-force policy, guidelines and procedures covers 117 pages.

I don't know much about it so all I have is the MSM information from CNN a short time ago to go on. But I would love to know who the warden IS, if there is one. I've searched for that information for a long time now over different days and weeks.

I work in Chautauqua County NY and on the county's - Sheriff's Dept website - has a picture and name of the Warden. I've worked with him before and he is a good guy. Here - it is an appointment from the Sheriff and County Legislature. Tonight - I'll try to look for more.

BBM

Chain of command

Commissioner Anthony Annucci and Deputy Commissioner Joseph D'Amico are the two top boss men over all the prisons in NYS. They were appointed by Gov Cuomo.

Each prison has a superintendent and a deputy superintendent and/or an 'acting' deputy superintendent.

Different regions of prisons are called 'hubs'. Each 'hub' has it's own supervising superintendent (who supervises every prison in that hub), appointed by Commissioner Annucci.

Each hub superintendent is supervised by Commissioner Anucci and Deputy Commissioner Joseph D'Amico, who in turn report to Gov Cuomo.

With the one mistake being that D'Amico is State Police Superintendent and Racette is the Prison Superintendent. I did the same thing at first, easy mistake.

ETA - my source who stated on CNN last night that Clinton does not have a Warden, only a Superintendent is Jeff Dumas, a retired sergeant at Clinton Correctional Facility.

I agree. He likely has his chest puffed out telling all. If it doesn't hurt to do so LOL He will milk his claim to fame in his own mind. He likely knows he is not going back to Clinton and will be in some type of isolation. Nothing to lose here. Wants his 15 minutes. Not much else left of his life. Now.

And i was thinking he would use what he knows they want to know to his advantage, as in to keep himself out of solitary. I wonder how prisoners are chosen to go to super max. Jmo idk

I work in Chautauqua County NY and on the county's - Sheriff's Dept website - has a picture and name of the Warden. I've worked with him before and he is a good guy. Here - it is an appointment from the Sheriff and County Legislature. Tonight - I'll try to look for more.

I live in Tioga county, NY (raised in Broome county, with Binghamton as my address most of my life growing up) and on the websites of the articles I provided links to and quotes from it says that Racette is the man who was in charge and the buck stops there as far as what happened in Clinton. Call him a warden if you want, call him a superintendent or call him a man who is probably about to be unemployed, I don't think semantics are that important here.

JMO

"Sweat, 35, told cops he and Matt, 49, broke into a series of hunting camps and cabins they used as hideouts and ransacked for weapons, food, clothing and other supplies, sources said.

The loot included a transistor radio they used to follow news accounts and avoid the manhunt that grew to involve more than 1,000 local, state and federal law-enforcement personnel.

They also found liquor and pot that Matt eagerly consumed, slowing their progress — which was already impeded because the older man suffered from sciatica and bloody blisters, sources said."

<snip>

"He had sardines with him when he was killed, sources said."

<snip>

"Sweat admitted doing most of the cutting and other heavy work because he was in better shape than Matt, sources said."

<snip>

"Law-enforcement sources said Sweat would not be sent back to the Dannemora lockup following his recovery, and would likely end up in Sing Sing, just north of New York City, or another maximum-security prison."

from link above - http://nypost.com/2015/06/29/escaped-killers-planned-to-flee-to-mexico/

JMO sardines would make me sick too!

(I think some of this may have been inside the quote box in the post where this link was provided but for some reason I have a harder time reading stuff inside the quote boxes, so I'm always thankful that usually quotes are of something that's already been posted here and I"ve already read once. This is not a complaint just explaining that I realize some might be repeated but despite being "only" 42 I"m on my way to going blind from glaucoma so some things just are difficult (my eyes are still 20/20 but there are other difficulties around the peripheral vision and with certain colors, saturation, etc). No idea why quoted stuff is tough for me. Same with things in ALL bold/caps. Just a global FYI and acknowledgment that I *do* read previous posts but I think I missed stuff in at least one. Ok I'm rambling, need :coffee: :coffee: )

" Matt and Sweat was left with no plan B and was forced to improvise. " :thinking: :thinking:

Oh yes they was. mmmmhmm.

"Sweat will be instrumental in exposing what was wrong in the system of the Clinton Correctional Facility. The authorities would also like to know how they managed to escape and survive while on the run. He might get an incentive because of this, retired sergeant at Clinton Correctional facility Jeff Dumas told CNN. However, such incentive will only go as far as having Sweat get out of solitary confinement earlier. Without this exposure, he is intended to stay at solitary confinement for seven years.

“It’s a bargaining chip for him now. Within the department, he’s going to be locked into a cell, 23 out of 24 hours a day, in solitary confinement. … He’s going to try to use that chip with New York state so he isn’t locked into 23 out of 24 (hours) for an extended period of time,” Dumas told CNN."

http://www.morningnewsusa.com/ny-prison-break-david-sweat-confesses-to-authorities-2325789.html

CIrQSMdWoAAD_Km.jpg

Keshia Clukey retweeted
Alexa Green &#8207;@AlexaTWCNews 41m41 minutes ago

Another picture painted by #DavidSweat which he sent to family while in prison #PrisonBreakNY

That looks like something by Thomas Kincaid -- the paintings are a bit fussy for my taste, unless on greeting cards or something. But Sweat definitely has talent, and must have had some training in art. His other painting that I saw was a girl w/ horse and beautiful landscape.

http://adirondackdailyenterprise.co...s-relieved-after-inmate-capture.html?nav=5283

"Cherie Racette said she was overwhelmed with emotion when she first heard the news David Sweat had been captured and that a three-week manhunt was over.

The Saranac Lake resident certainly wasn't the only one who was relieved, or perhaps even elated, but she has more invested than all but a few people. Her husband, Steve Racette, is superintendent of the Clinton Correctional Facility, where Sweat and Richard Matt escaped June 6.

"We are very excited," she said. "

Does anyone really believe that the Owls Head cabin was the first place they hung out in? So they either stayed there for almost 2 weeks undetected or it took them almost 2 weeks to get there by foot. They escaped and were out of the manhole by June 6.....the caretaker (or owner?) of the cabin discovered they had been there June 20. I just think there were other places and help in-between. We shall see.....JMO

I think they were very close to the prison on Wed or Thursday after the early Sat. morning escape. The dogs hit on their scent at the Mobile station (1 mile from prison, and also 1/2 mile from Palmer's house) and followed it east out into the woods, where they found a place where someone had laid down in the grass and there were food wrappers consistent with what was sold at the prison commissary. Then there were several sightings in the Cringle Road area about 8 miles or so from the prison. I believe they may have possibly been staying on Palmer's property, or in the general area, and may have been trying to make it east to the rail line (which would have taken them into Canada), but then things got too hot in that area -- LE were swarming. So, then they made their way west to the Owl's Head cabin. Possibly had help from Palmer, but also may have just followed the power lines west -- the first part of that trek would have taken them through wilderness area where few roads, so little chance of detection. The downside would be not much food sources, but if they were following the power lines they could have made pretty good time, and the power lines go fairly close behind the cabin. They may have hung out at the Owls Head cabin for maybe up to a week, confident that they were between hunting seasons, so unlikely anyone would come to the cabin.

Wow! I'm so glad these kids didn't give him a ride!

MALONE — Four young people think they may have seen David Sweat at 2:30 a.m. Sunday, less than 5 miles from the Canadian border.
Sweat was shot and captured about 12 hours later.

Evan King, Alicia Howard and brothers Patrick and Conor Gordon told the Press-Republican that they had left McDonald’s in Malone and were driving back to Burke on Callahan Road when they saw a man on a scooter, the kind that many Amish in the area use to get around.

‘I NEED A RIDE’

He was riding it on the edge of the road.

King was driving, Patrick was the front-seat passenger of the Volvo sedan, and Conor and Howard were in back.

“We didn’t think anything of it, at first, so we turned around, and I asked him, ‘Are you all right?’” Patrick related.

“And he said, ‘I need a ride.’”

SKETCHY

The stranger, who looked scruffy and tired, was on the passenger side of the vehicle when he spoke, standing in the ditch, rather than the edge of the road as before.

“It was weird,” Howard said. “You don’t see people riding scooters at 3 in the morning.”

“We stopped because we wanted to help,” King added.

But then they “took off because we thought it was a little sketchy,” Patrick said.

CALLED POLICE

The group got a few miles down the road, then realized who it could be.

They pulled over, discussed it briefly, then King called the police tip line at 2:33 a.m.

They described to the dispatcher where they were and the farm closest to where they had seen the stranger.

“We all went home and grabbed our shotguns,” Conor said, adding that very few people in that area ride a bicycle, and only the Amish use scooters.

‘FREAKING OUT’

More than 12 hours after they crossed paths with the man, they attended a graduation party on Wheeler Road and learned that Sweat had been shot near where they had encountered the man on the scooter.

“Last night, we were freaked out when he saw him, then we saw the news that he’d been shot, and it freaked us out more.”

~snipped

More at link:http://www.pressrepublican.com/news...002-1e1d-11e5-823a-27fb15b08c82.html?mode=jqm

OK, police got a report of a scruffy man riding a scooter down the road at 2:30 in the morning and they DON'T swarm the area??? Oh...yes...it was out of the perimeter. How fortunate that the officer happened to be where he was in his patrol car a few hours later. And that Sweat wasn't armed.

WOW! I would think that having local LE, that knows the area, might not be a bad resource to have had while looking for these two. I guess it's a case of "do you want to talk to the one in charge or to the one who knows whats going on".:facepalm:

<snip>

Sheriff Favro’s frustration was compounded when Mr. Cuomo arrived at the command center and told him and all the other non-state employees to leave, said a close friend of the sheriff’s, David Andrews, the director of the local radio station WIRY. Mr. Andrews said Mr. Favro was angered at being notified of the escape so late, and was astonished that Mr. Cuomo had asked him to leave.

“At first they were asked to leave, and he said, ‘But I’m the sheriff,’ ” Mr. Andrews recalled. “Then they were told they had to leave. He was furious and went home.”

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...hunt-for-prison-escapees/ar-AAckcPl?ocid=iehp

I badgered the crud out of Chris Cuomo on twitter and he finally addressed the warden vs. superintendent thing live (right now) on CNN. I'll post the transcription as soon as it's up somewhere. But no there is no "warden" at Clinton there is the Superintendent and it is Racette. Verified in MSM on CNN right now.

I live in Tioga county, NY (raised in Broome county, with Binghamton as my address most of my life growing up) and on the websites of the articles I provided links to and quotes from it says that Racette is the man who was in charge and the buck stops there as far as what happened in Clinton. Call him a warden if you want, call him a superintendent or call him a man who is probably about to be unemployed, I don't think semantics are that important here.

JMO

BBM. Yep, like I said, it all came down to semantics. Use the old term of "warden" if you must. :facepalm: It's still Racette.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...l-hand-luke-meets-shawshank-article-1.2275096

"Meanwhile, warden Steven Racette faces a grilling from lawmakers demanding to know how two stone-cold killers wound up in an "honor block" and got special privileges like being allowed to cook meals."

ETA - LOL just got this notification -

" Chris Cuomo favorited your Tweet
5m: @ChrisCuomo - thank you!! Much appreciated, please put this in transcript form or replay it so I can transcribe for websleuths. :) "

GGE - pimpin out WS whenever possible (I also told the cop who called me back about my tips about WS 3 weeks ago. ;) )

CIrQSMdWoAAD_Km.jpg

Keshia Clukey retweeted
Alexa Green &#8207;@AlexaTWCNews 41m41 minutes ago

Another picture painted by #DavidSweat which he sent to family while in prison #PrisonBreakNY

I haven't finished reading the thread, so be kind if this has already been pointed out! This looks SO much like a Thomas Kincade painting. Paint-by-number Thomas Kincade kits are available. I did a quick search and didn't see this one...but this is SO similar to TK paintings. I guess I'm wondering if Sweat wasn't as much an "artist" as it appears.

Link to a TK that is eerily similar: http://thomaskinkade.com/art/everetts-cottage/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MADELINE123654