NY - Captured, escaped convicted killers, David Sweat & Richard Matt, Dannemora #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
IMOO Matt and Sweat KNEW if they escaped it would be a death sentence...........Matt got what he wanted.

At the time he was shot, he was a fleeing felon with a gun. That was his choice. His choice to break out of jail. A justified shooting means there was no negligence on the part of the officer or his employer. A state usually has statutes that exempt them from liability for things beyond their control. Matt got himself shot by his own actions.

If he had died while in custody such as not receiving necessary medical care in the prison, the State might be liable but not in this case.

JMO

Don't think there have been any actual news reports saying anyone wants to sue. Seems to be total speculation that anyone, including Sweat's mother, is thinking about it.

I'm not a lawyer- is anyone posting now sure of what the law is if theoretically Sweat's mother wants to pursue a lawsuit? Fact is, the State absolutely was negligent in this case, and 12 employees being put on leave in the beginning of the FBI's investigation makes the point. Whether the State can be held liable legally is a different question.

Reportedly, that tactical team came in by helicopter. Maybe they used a megaphone to command him, and shot him from the helicopter? Details are vague. JMO

Don't think there have been any actual news reports saying anyone wants to sue. Seems to be total speculation that anyone, including Sweat's mother, is thinking about it.

I'm not a lawyer- is anyone posting now sure of what the law is if theoretically Sweat's mother wants to pursue a lawsuit? Fact is, the State absolutely was negligent in this case, and 12 employees being put on leave in the beginning of the FBI's investigation makes the point. Whether the State can be held liable legally is a different question.

"Harris says he believes his father’s death was wrongful, saying three shots to the head was excessive."

Harris being Matts son. I think this is what has people discussing the possibility of a lawsuit although the son has not stated that he will sue. At least not yet.

http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Son-Says-Richard-Matts-Death-Wrongful-311164091.html

It is my opinion the State was not negligent in Matt's death. The escape and his death were two separate events. I think the only two with any liability might be the employees who facilitated the escape and I doubt either has any money to collect.

JMO

Hypothetical, if Matt's family sues, can they include the union if it's proven that there was negligence on the part of the union members? I really don't know because I'm not that familiar with how unions work.

Bringing this over again, I guess you can say I'm repeating myself, to see if anyone has any thoughts on this? I do think that an attorney has been speaking with Matt's son.

I think the fact the son uses the word "wrongful" is a sign he's talked to a lawyer.

JMO

I agree with you here. But the phantom lawyer may know more about civil law suits than we do. Both Tillie and Palmer worked at the prison. Their activity was to be overseen by Administrators. JMO

Reportedly, that tactical team came in by helicopter. Maybe they used a megaphone to command him, and shot him from the helicopter? Details are vague. JMO
Excellent thought.

Why would Matt's son get to sue? He is not financially dependent on Matt. Did he even ever see him ?

Maybe some buddies have been talking to him about suing.

Three bullets to the head. One bullet. Does it matter? Dead is dead

And here it starts...

Hannah McDonald ‏@HannahWPTZ 51s51 seconds ago
JUST IN: Richard Matt's family will take his body. Won't be buried at the prison's cemetery as shown #PrisonBreakNY

Why would Matt's son get to sue? He is not financially dependent on Matt. Did he even ever see him ?

Maybe some buddies have been talking to him about suing.

Three bullets to the head. One bullet. Does it matter? Dead is dead

I sort of doubt that it would be a successful lawsuit. Matt had a daughter, too, with whom he apparently communicated (Joyce called her on his behalf, and Palmer helped him mail paintings to her, methinks). The daughter would have a better chance in a wrongful death suit. But I don't think either one would win it. JMO JMO JMO

"Harris says he believes his father’s death was wrongful, saying three shots to the head was excessive."

Harris being Matts son. I think this is what has people discussing the possibility of a lawsuit although the son has not stated that he will sue. At least not yet.

http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Son-Says-Richard-Matts-Death-Wrongful-311164091.html

The State of NY's Clinton Correctional Facility was negligent, which led to two dangerous inmates escaping. The State of NY's LE bears absolutely no responsibility for the escape. As for 3 shots to the head of a violent murderer-escapee who refused to surrender being "excessive" or "wrongful..." Pfft.

First. In the US of A unarmed folks who haven't even been accused of a crime have been shot and killed and LE is almost never held accountable whatsoever. Second, a federal LEO officer shot Matt 3 times in the head, not NY LEO. There won't be a lawsuit. I doubt Matt;s son is being advised by a lawyer, but if he is the advice he's receiving borders on malpractice.

why were those pictures released? is it just me who finds it (yet is interested) oddly disturbing.

@TheLeadCNN
Captured killer says prison worker wanted husband killed http://cnn.it/1LVAKRW #PrisonBreakNY fr @jasoncarrollcnn

https://twitter.com/TheLeadCNN

[video=twitter;616364369664978944]https://twitter.com/TheLeadCNN/status/616364369664978944[/video]

Per Sweat, it was not his idea nor Matt's idea to kill Lyle Mitchell BUT Joyce Mitchell's idea, she was the one who wanted her husband Lyle killed.

Anyone can sue, weather they win is up to the judge or jury and probably a really good lawyer.

This is why I'm asking if the Union can be sued? Maybe the state needs to sue the union that managed the workers...just musings!

Changes at Clinton are happening...

Jessica Layton
3h3 hours ago
Jessica Layton ‏@JessicaLayton13
Changes at #ClintonCorrectional: No more honor block, weekly inspection of 'integrity' of cells, exec. staffer on overnights #PrisonBreakNY

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces
Back