NY - Captured, escaped convicted killers, David Sweat & Richard Matt, Dannemora #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Escapee Richard Matt was drunk when he was shot and killed, police say

Richard Matt -- one of two convicted murderers who escaped from a New York prison in June -- was drunk at the time of his death, toxicology reports show.

Matt had a blood alcohol content of .18% when he was shot and killed in upstate New York not far from the Canadian border, the New York State Police said Wednesday in a news release.

This BAC is more than double the national legal limit of .08% for driving a car.

www.cnn.com/2015/08/05/us/new-york-prison-escape/index.html

From the CNN article: "A state court judge entered a plea of not guilty for Sweat, who made his first appearance in a Plattsburgh, New York, courtroom with his right arm in a sling. His next court appearance will be on September 29."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/20/us/new-york-prison-escape-sweat/

From the NBC article: "David Sweat could face a seven-year sentence if convicted..."

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/new-york-prison-escape/clinton-county-prosecutor-open-prison-breakout-trial-david-sweat-n413046

Prison Seamstress Joyce Mitchell Weeps During Sentencing for Escape Help
SEP 28 2015

150928-joyce-mitchel-jsw-1031a_1f2b2574dc3884d11c87aa4d89f52678.nbcnews-ux-320-320.jpg

Former prison seamstress Joyce Mitchell sobbed as she was sentenced Monday to up to seven years in prison for helping two convicts escape with tools smuggled in hamburger meat.

~~~

"I just don't find that explanation credible," Clinton County Court Judge Kevin Ryan told her as he imposed a sentence of 2-1/3 to 7 years in prison on a contraband count.

~~~

Prosecutors are also seeking restitution of almost $120,000 to cover the cost of repairing the cell walls that Matt and Sweat cut through to bust out of the Clinton County Correctional Facility on June 6.

I'm glad that the judge was very direct with her about the real-life impact of her "fantasy" actions on entire communities. Whether she feared for her family or not, she was too wrapped up in her own "needs" to think about others. I hope she uses this time in prison to become a different person. JMO

"A large portion of the local population were terrorized. Many were forced to flee their homes. Some did not not have places to go, and had to rent hotel rooms or leave the area. Many residents did not sleep for many nights, afraid that these two extremely violent individuals might be outside their homes," Ryan said. "Law enforcement officers came here not just from across New York state, but from all over the country. They traversed very inhospitable territory, never knowing if the next step they took in deeply wooded areas might be their last. And think of their families at home, sick with concern and fright for their loved ones. At any time, you could have stopped the escape from happening."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/28/us/ny-prison-break/index.html

I'm glad that the judge was very direct with her about the real-life impact of her "fantasy" actions on entire communities. Whether she feared for her family or not, she was too wrapped up in her own "needs" to think about others. I hope she uses this time in prison to become a different person. JMO

IMO until Tillie becomes honest with herself, family, and everyone who she has adversely affected by her horrid actions, she will never become a different person. She has to forever live her lie , so she can be a poor victim of the escapees. I question whether even her family really believes her. I can understand her son not turning his back on her. Lyle is a total different story. I hope she is an outcast in society no matter where she lives when she gets out. You can't run from Karma Tillie:jail:

My personal opinion is that even 7 years--which she most likely will not serve in its' entirety-- is not long enough.
Plus, she needs to pay some restitution for the cost of their hunt and Sweat's eventual capture.
I do not view her as a "victim".

I too am glad that judge tried to explain to her the impact of what she did. I dont think she gets it at all. She was very selfish.

I think her prison sentence should have been longer.

Matt Lauer was way too lenient with her in his interview. I have seen Matt L. treat others much worse than he treated her. Which is one reason I don't like Matt L. He picks and chooses who he is going to grill and put on the coals based on his own personal opinions.

If he likes someone then he is lenient with them. If he doesn't like them or doesn't like their political party then he grills them. Its just not right to me. He should treat people the same each time if he chooses to be mean in interviews he gives. Or just be nice to all of them. He picks and chooses.

Back to her. Yeah, she sure puts on a feel sorry for me act with everyone. I can see how some are fooled. She sure didn't fool me when she tried it with Matt.

My guess is she will serve the shortest term possible. She will also be treated differently inside since she was a prison employee. If she was put in with the main population, my guess is the fellow inmates would be quizzing her for "inside info on how prisons work" and could be very nasty to her. JMO

NY prison worker Joyce Mitchell, who gave tools to help inmates escape, must pay $80K to cover repair costs

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ex-ny-prison-worker-pay-80k-escapees-damages-article-1.2426017

That's really not much, considering how much the search for these inmates cost. But I do wonder where and when she will ever get that kind of money. I doubt the state will ever see this money. But this ruling probably does give them the right to any money she might earn in the future from interviews or a book.

Her attorney, Stephen Johnston, said there’s no timetable for when she has to repay the state.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ex-ny-prison-worker-pay-80k-escapees-damages-article-1.2426017

NY prison break seamstress' son charged in VT

The son of a seamstress who helped two inmates escape from a New York prison has been charged in Vermont following a recent domestic incident with his wife, court records show.

Tobey L. Mitchell, 22, of Shelburne pleaded not guilty Monday to charges of first-degree aggravated domestic assault, second-degree unlawful restraint and interfering with access to emergency services. Following his hearing in Vermont Superior Court in Burlington, Mitchell was released on conditions. He had posted the $5,000 bail set by a judge over the weekend.

In an interview with Shelburne police after his arrest, Mitchell said the relationship he has with his wife has been strained for at least six months after financial stresses, the arrest of his mother Joyce Mitchell, and after he lost a part-time job, an affidavit written by Officer Joshua Flore states. Tobey Mitchell works full-time as an aircraft mechanic with the Vermont Air National Guard's 158th Fighter Wing maintenance group.

Much more at link.

Attachments

• 635846688794731983-TobeyMitchell.jpg
    635846688794731983-TobeyMitchell.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 39
Been watching Prison Break. Still blows my mind. Would be interested in a movie about this story too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

‘Time to go kid!’ The Sopranos-themed note left by Shawshank escapees is revealed in scathing report on prison that says guards should've caught them 400 TIMES before jailbreak

Investigation about breakout of David Sweat and Richard Matt details security lapses at Clinton Correctional Facility in Dannemora, New York

Report says chronic staff complacency, complicit employees and failures of basic security procedures were to blame

The lapses include failures to search entering employees' bags, negligent night counts of inmates and inadequate cell searches

Photos inside the report show the dummy found in Sweat’s cell on the morning of the escape, tools and Sopranos-themed note left for guards

Report also says two inmates wanted to go to Mexico with fake names

Correction authorities have implemented changes, and many Clinton employees have resigned or been fired

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ity-lapses-prison-breakout.html#ixzz4AsXXcRFS

The thing is, Matt is dead, he can't say what contact they did or didn't have. But why is she still covering for Sweat? Sent him nude photos, but didn't have contact with him? I don't believe her. I believe the ex prison inmate who stated Sweat and Mitchell were intimate! That ex prisoner has nothing to gain or lose by saying anything.

Sad to think all this happened. Sad to think Mitchell swore on her child's life they hadn't had sex, then later admits to oral sex with Matt.

The manipulation to prison guards from prisoners isn't new. All guards and anyone with any contact should be aware of those manipulations, and only speak to them for what has to be said and otherwise not engage in conversations with them. I understand it would be difficult. They are with those prisoner's likely more than their own family's. Rotation within in the prison would help some.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back