NY - Captured, escaped convicted killers, David Sweat & Richard Matt, Dannemora #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

I found the photos of the tree stands interesting -- it would be almost impossible to see someone in camo up there. And the map of the snowmobile trails was great. Even though Sweat had maps on him when caught, I'm thinking he must have picked them up in one of the cabins somewhere, because their initial route (south) was kinda taking them out of the way (although also away from inhabited areas). Too bad there wasn't more use of the local LE in the beginning- -could have saved a lot of time and money.

Local law enforcement officers also weren't used significantly in the beginning even though they were more familiar with the terrain, Favro said. "They know the hunters. They know about the tree stands."

Still, a person familiar with the investigation said there were a number of instances where resources were not used properly. For example, agencies skilled in tracking fugitives were used instead for road patrol or perimeter sweeps.

The search shifted to Franklin County and a command post was established at the Titus Mountain Family Ski Center.

Still, it took 30 hours before a perimeter was set up, according to a source close to the search.

The sheriff said he wished they had spent more time on the trails, and had a backup plan, covering a broader area in the beginning, which may have made a difference by a matter of days.

Thanks for link. There's a lot of new detail in it, including who may be claiming a huge chunk of award.

FWIW, I doubt Matt was so drunk he didn't know what he was doing.

Tillie failed them, they were spotted in Owl's head, 1,000 plus LEOs were in hot pursuit and honing in on their location, and Sweat had abandoned him. IMO he knew it was over, knew what awaited him if captured, and had no interest in being taken alive.

Sweat was obviously more determined, but it was only by sheer luck that a lone beat cop spotted him and shot. Who knows what Sweat would have done if he'd been cornered by multiple LEOs as Matt was.
I think Matt was institutionalized... couldn't make it out there.

Dannemora was small time, This is how you break out of a jail pro style.

Attachments

• 2A86258200000578-0-image-a-51_1436883214712.jpg
    2A86258200000578-0-image-a-51_1436883214712.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 254
Yep, I bet Sweat is bummed to learn that he is not the most infamous escapee.....JMO

Captured escapee David Sweat is out of the prison hospital and in a Special Housing Unit.

He was discharged Wednesday and will be housed in the Special Housing Unit, DOCCS said.

"The department filed formal disciplinary charges against Sweat in relation to his escape from Clinton Correctional Facility," the release reads.

"A hearing officer will determine the extent of Sweat’s misconduct and, if appropriate, impose a penalty, including continued placement within the Special Housing Unit."

http://www.pressrepublican.com/news...01c-2b26-11e5-950e-53c6627b3a38.html?mode=jqm

Well, he better stay in that Special Housing Unit!!!

If anyone is still interested in this...good article

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/21/n...-and-luck-for-david-sweat.html?referrer=&_r=0

New York Prisoner’s Keys to Escape: Lapsed Rules, Tools and Luck

Mr. Sweat’s statements, one of the people briefed on the account said, have in large measure been either corroborated or otherwise found credible. They have provided the authorities with a treasure trove of information about how he and another convicted killer, Richard W. Matt, were able to escape.

Delivered from his hospital bed in matter-of-fact tones, at times with apparent relish over his accomplishment, Mr. Sweat’s account covered his search for an escape route, as well as the arduous and monotonous work of digging through walls and sawing through steam pipes, according to several of the people briefed on his statements.

Mr. Sweat told investigators that he and Mr. Matt had joked that while it had taken Andy Dufresne, the character in the movie played by Tim Robbins, 20 years to escape, it would take them only 10 years.

There's a brand new 20/20 show on it called Manhunt, which has the details of their escape and shows the cabins they were in.

Another good article for those interested...

http://www.pressrepublican.com/news...ad6-f39a-5afe-bb78-d1978fd57272.html?mode=jqm

Owls Head camp proved crucial link in manhunt

He saw, past the window, a figure, this time with what appeared to be a hood over his head. He wasn't sure if it was the same person or a second man.

Inside, Stockwell noticed a jar of peanut butter on the kitchen table. A coffee pot was out, and a map of the area had been taken off a wall.

Investigators now know that the fugitives had a disagreement about when to leave Twisted Horn, where they had spent two to three nights already.
Matt was comfortable, Guess said, having access to alcohol, heat and water.

He wanted to stay, but Sweat feared their isolation might be breached.

"It was a Saturday, and it was a beautiful day, and he thought that someone could be coming to check on the camp, and he wanted to get out of there," Guess related.

Matt argued for staying put, saying that if someone did come, they could take him hostage or just kill him, Sweat told police after his capture.

Joyce Mitchell pleads guilty in court today

e New York prison worker accused of helping two convicted killers escape from prison takes a guilty plea to one felony and one misdemeanor charge.

Mitchell was in court Tuesday morning and pleaded guilty to first-degree promoting prison contraband and fourth-degree criminal facilitation.

The 51-year-old faces a sentence ranging from 2 1/3 years to 7 years in prison.

http://www.wkbw.com/news/joyce-mitchell-in-court-for-arraignment

Just a FYI; CNN Special Report: The Great Prison Escape airs tonight (Tuesday) at 9:00 pm est.

Sex & Drugs: Prison Seamstress Joyce Mitchell's Confession Revealed

"I believe I helped Inmate Matt and Inmate Sweat escape because I was caught up in the fantasy," Mitchell said in one statement. "I enjoyed the attention, the feeling both of them gave me and the thought of a different life."

In May, she said, Matt asked her to perform oral sex and she did, out of fear, she said. On other occasions, Matt would come to her desk wearing a big coat in which he had cut a hole so that Mitchell could touch his genitals.

"This happened two or three times," she said. "The only other physical contact I had with Inmate Matt was when he kissed me at the bottom of the first set of stairs. He never touched any of my private areas."

In another statement, Mitchell said she passed notes to Matt, who was assigned to the tailor shop, to give to Sweat, who was re-assigned after a rumor that he was romantically involved with the seamstress.

"Some of those notes were of a sexual nature but I never had any sexual contact with Inmate Sweat, only Inmate Matt. I did take some naked photos of my breasts and vagina and gave them to Inmate Matt to give to Inmate Sweat. I do not know what they did with the photos."

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ne...s-joyce-mitchells-confession-revealed-n399831

She said she never had sexual contact with Sweat, but she was sending him naked photos???

So sad that a grown woman has literally no self esteem. Clearly!

So sad that a grown woman has literally no self esteem. Clearly!
You realize, of course, this is Tillie's version, which may or may not correlate well with real events.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

sex & drugs: Prison seamstress joyce mitchell's confession revealed

"i believe i helped inmate matt and inmate sweat escape because i was caught up in the fantasy," mitchell said in one statement. "i enjoyed the attention, the feeling both of them gave me and the thought of a different life."

In may, she said, matt asked her to perform oral sex and she did, out of fear, she said. On other occasions, matt would come to her desk wearing a big coat in which he had cut a hole so that mitchell could touch his genitals.

"this happened two or three times," she said. "the only other physical contact i had with inmate matt was when he kissed me at the bottom of the first set of stairs. He never touched any of my private areas."

in another statement, mitchell said she passed notes to matt, who was assigned to the tailor shop, to give to sweat, who was re-assigned after a rumor that he was romantically involved with the seamstress.

"some of those notes were of a sexual nature but i never had any sexual contact with inmate sweat, only inmate matt. I did take some naked photos of my breasts and vagina and gave them to inmate matt to give to inmate sweat. I do not know what they did with the photos."

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ne...s-joyce-mitchells-confession-revealed-n399831

she said she never had sexual contact with sweat, but she was sending him naked photos???
yuck yuck yuck

yuck yuck yuck

I totally agree, and don't believe a word Tillie speaks:liar:. I cannot believe I heard on CNN yesterday Lyle loves her and is standing by her.:rolleyes: But up to 7 yrs. is a long time, he could smarten up by then.:moo:

I totally agree, and don't believe a word Tillie speaks:liar:. I cannot believe I heard on CNN yesterday Lyle loves her and is standing by her.:rolleyes: But up to 7 yrs. is a long time, he could smarten up by then.:moo:
I believe he's standing up for her because, he is guilty of helping with excape, and Tilie's not going to out him.

Joyce Mitchell pleads guilty in court today

e New York prison worker accused of helping two convicted killers escape from prison takes a guilty plea to one felony and one misdemeanor charge.

Mitchell was in court Tuesday morning and pleaded guilty to first-degree promoting prison contraband and fourth-degree criminal facilitation.

The 51-year-old faces a sentence ranging from 2 1/3 years to 7 years in prison.
What a fool this woman is- got played big time!

Gene Palmer turns down plea

He was placed on administrative leave, with pay, from his $72,644-a-year job on June 19. He was questioned by State Police for about 14 hours on June 20.
The CO was charged on June 24, after which his suspension status was changed to without pay.

He faces a maximum sentence of 1 1/3 to 4 years on the tampering charges and 2 1/3 to 7 years on the contraband charge.

http://www.pressrepublican.com/news...2d7-544c-5464-bceb-b69838f8a543.html?mode=jqm

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back