NY NY - Chaim Weiss, 15, Long Beach, 1 Nov 1986

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
One guy did commit suicide on his wedding night. I read an article about it in a regular paper and then I read about it on a Jewish site (I don't usually read that site, I went to read about this man). His wife was trying to talk to him, but she didn't know (then, at least) why he did it. The regular paper said she was 'in bed' (or 'sleeping'), but people who said they knew her said she was awake and trying to help her husband. This may have nothing to do with Chaim, of course. But, there has been at least one suicide.

This post seems to imply there is a connection between Chaim and this Motty Borger, who committed suicide after his wedding, and specifically that they were classmates. But, given Motty Borger's age, that clearly wasn't possible. He was also in and from Brooklyn; Chaim was killed in Long Beach, and was from Staten Island I believe. I don't see any connection other than that they were both Orthodox.

Seems unlikely this would be related. The man was 24 when he took his life, in 2010. That meant he was born in 1986... the year Chaim was murdered.

This case haunts me; I've been a frequent poster about it on the sitcomsonline UM board.

Thanks for posting here and for info on the other site!
Wondering what, if anything, has happened since the last appeal for info. in this case?
LE had one single hair to compare dna with potential suspects/poi, wonder if anything ever came of that?

I wonder if the family has attempted to reach out to the now adults, who were close classmates and boarding mates with Chaim to see if time has given them any additional insights in to what happened. Perhaps years ago, the young men were too frightened or intimidated to tell everything they knew. It might be worthwhile for Chaim's family to attempt to track some of these now grown men down, and see what might be revealed.

This post seems to imply there is a connection between Chaim and this Motty Borger, who committed suicide after his wedding, and specifically that they were classmmates. But, given Motty Borger's age, that clearly wasn't possible. He was also in and from Brooklyn; Chaim was killed in Long Beach, and was from Staten Island I believe. I don't see any connection other than that they were both Orthodox.

For some reason, I thought the guy was older. I read this years ago, so IDK why I thought that. I usually check things out, but ... sorry. I thought they at least went to the same school, weird that I missed that.

Just "stopping by" to say my prayers continue for the Weiss family. Although it's been many years, I believe that someone will find it in their heart to do the right thing by speaking up and giving peace to Chaim's family. Tonight my prayer and plea is that they finally speak up, and let this family get the answers they deserve.

God Bless

Concerning the Orthodox male seen sitting a bench near the school, could he have been the perp. wearing the religious clothing as a disguise?
Would it be easy for anyone to find and buy such clothing?
Could it be easily donned and able to hide a presumably blood-splattered person?

Crisp video in link, it seems like LE and family think the answers are to be found within this group, imo

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...-Cold-Case-Reopens-Chaim-Weiss-209250321.html

"There's somebody out there that knows a secret. I'm looking for that person to give me that secret," said Detective Lt. John Azzata, commander of the Nassau police homicide squad.

Tips have already begun to flow to investigators, police said. They are looking to interview any student, faculty member or employee connected to the Torah High School, which Weiss was attending."

Or maybe he stole it from the school?

There was one rabbi described as "absent minded". If someone took an item from him, he might not even notice at first. So, possibly no one would ever think maybe the murderer took it?

This terrible news has nothing to do with Chaim, but thought of him right away.
So here we have a sibling who appeared, and continues to appear to be completely normal , everyone is stumped that he could, without provocation, just start stabbing his sister ( who survived).
Point is, could a fellow student or other worker associated with the school Chaim attended, be adversely, if temporarily affected by, the buildup to Halloween, and the event itself?
imo, speculation.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...-in-attempted-murder-plea-for-youth-1.3250754

"A Prince George teen who pleaded guilty to attempting to murder his sister after repeatedly watching the stabbing scenes from the movie Halloween will get no jail time.

The youth, known as B.E.N., is at the heart of a family tragedy laid out in a B.C. provincial court judgment. His sister was gravely wounded and his parents are struggling to ultimately reconcile the siblings".

This terrible news has nothing to do with Chaim, but thought of him right away.
So here we have a sibling who appeared, and continues to appear to be completely normal , everyone is stumped that he could, without provocation, just start stabbing his sister ( who survived).
Point is, could a fellow student or other worker associated with the school Chaim attended, be adversely, if temporarily affected by, the buildup to Halloween, and the event itself?
imo, speculation.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...-in-attempted-murder-plea-for-youth-1.3250754

"A Prince George teen who pleaded guilty to attempting to murder his sister after repeatedly watching the stabbing scenes from the movie Halloween will get no jail time.

The youth, known as B.E.N., is at the heart of a family tragedy laid out in a B.C. provincial court judgment. His sister was gravely wounded and his parents are struggling to ultimately reconcile the siblings".

Not a student at his school. Jews do not celebrate Halloween. It's a pagan holiday.

Not a student at his school. Jews do not celebrate Halloween. It's a pagan holiday.

Did not intend to suggest that the students celebrated Halloween, but rather, that someone may have been negatively affected by the Halloween ambiance.
There had been a recent incident of egg throwing by an outside group just prior to Chaim's death, imo.

http://www.jta.org/2012/11/01/the-archive-blog/anniversary-of-unsolved-long-beach-yeshiva-murder

" Weiss, who would have been 16 years old in two weeks, was stabbed while he slept by a reportedly "heavy sort of knife" sometime during Halloween eve. There were no signs of forced entry or theft in the victim’s third-floor dormitory room, which opened onto a fire escape. Weiss’ body was found by a dormitory leader when he went to rouse the student for Shabbat morning prayers.

The factor of anti-Semitism has been largely discounted by detectives assigned to the case, although the murder took place during Halloween following some heckling and taunting of the yeshiva students, and some egg-throwing."

Interesting conclusion in this link, is it possible LE already have a suspect, but not naming him? imo.

http://www.bhol.co.il/article_en.aspx?id=54962
27 May 2013

Dotr, you may find the comment at the bottom (in Hebrew by Alex) interesting.
He basically says that they are rushing to publicize this headline (rushing? 27 years!) and that we should be patient and answers will come.

If they do not want to test the hair in case it is destroyed, they may never know to whom it belongs, but by testing it, a poi might just be identified.
Wonder if the hair should be, or has been tested?
imo.

[video=youtube;_q4xbTACTUE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q4xbTACTUE[/video]

Bumping for Chaim with this unrelated? news item..

http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/World/2016/05/03/22629616.html
Connecticut rabbi, former police commissioner accused of child sex abuse

Daniel Greer, a well-known member of New Haven's Orthodox Jewish community, is accused of sexually abusing Eliyahu Mirlis over three years while he was a boarding student at Yeshiva of New Haven and the Gan School, two religious schools operated by Greer.

Ponvert said his client came forward in order to find closure.

"I think he reached a point in his life where he is tired of living with the pain and responsibility of this," Ponvert said.

Dotr, you are honing in on my theory on this case. I believe Chaim was murdered because of what he knew, and what he was going to *tell*. While we know there are many fine, upstanding teachers who dedicate their lives to children, we also know that pedophiles put themselves in professions where they will have 1-1 contact with children. Teachers, coaches, etc. Again, I am emphasizing this is a small percentage, and most teachers/coaches are incredible.

That being said, I believe Chaim knew a dark secret and was going to tell. It cost him his life.
All just speculation and opinion only.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/chaim-weiss-brutally-murdered-1986-article-1.2417684
[h=1]Chaim Weiss is brutally murdered as he slept in his Long Beach yeshiva in 1986[/h]
(Originally published by the Daily News on November 2, 1986. This story was written by Edward Kirkman and Robert Gearty.)
A 16-year-old rabbinical student was found brutally hacked to death yesterday in his third-floor yeshiva dormitory room in Long Beach, L.I.
The victim, Chaim Weiss of Staten Island, was an 11th-grade student at the Torah High School of Long Beach on West Beech St. Police said he lived with 35 to 40 other yeshiva students in the dormitory building at 63 E. Beech St., three blocks from the school.
Long Beach police and county detectives who responded to the dorm leader’s call found Weiss’ body, clad in pajamas, half out of his bed.

One detective said the victim had been struck at least twice in the face some time after midnight in “an extremely brutal murder.”

[h=2]Students outside Torah High School.[/h] (Michael Alexander)
attachment.php

Attachments

• afa-186694.jpg
    afa-186694.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 79

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads