NY NY - Colin Gillis, 18, Tupper Lake, 11 March 2012

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guests and Members!...this case could use your eyes!! Please feel free to join the discussion!! What happened to Colin Gillis?

I think about Colin all the time. His was the first case I saw when I first discovered websleuths...he seems like such a sweet kid. I would love to see this one get solved, hopefully sooner rather than later. Colin's family and friends deserve to know the truth. I think I'm going to read through this thread again...it's been a few months, maybe something new will pop out (here's to hoping)...

Ok, so reading through all of this thread again, I have a question. We know that Colin did NOT have a pre-arranged ride home. Has it been confirmed who his last cell phone contact was? I read again how AT stopped and asked Colin if he wanted a ride, and Colin responded that he was waiting for a friend to pick up him. To me, that sounds like he did NOT want to associate with AT, so he lied about a random friend picking him up (however, this theory could be debunked if we did in fact know that a friend was his last contact on his phone, for that could mean that his last call was to arrange a last-minute ride home).

Where was the party?

Didn't find his address. But, whilst searching, I found that there is a person with the same last name as JA that lives on Paskungameh Rd. I have no idea of knowing if this is the residence where the party was, but could it perhaps be a relative of JA's. And, does that have anything to do with this puzzle. No clue. Just wondering' and just sayin'.....

MOO

Quoting this again. I went back on fb to look at BN, AT, and JA. BN and AT (had a baby together) are no longer together (a recent development, I think, because when I last checked this back in July, I recall them being together...although she just had another baby, so who knows if it's AT's or the current boyfriend...). They are no longer fb friends. However, BN and JA still are. Anyway, looking at one of the MANY pictures on BN's facebook...there are a ton, you'd better have some free time if you're gonna go look, haha...someone commented on a picture of AT saying something like "look at my handsome brother in a tux" (it was around prom time in 2012). This commenter had the same last name as JA. SO...correct me if my family tree is wrong, but wouldn't that mean that this sister (the commenter) and AT are half siblings, and then the sister and JA are also cousins, just as AT and JA are, but they have the same last name because of their parents being siblings/being married into the name? I ONLY bring up this heavily convoluted observation because it could be a basis of finding that address (new names). HOWEVER. It's 2016. Have the websleuths policies changed? I'm not sure we're allowed to do this.

Sorry for all the posts. A lot comes up when you re-read and re-analyze everything.

It's been reported that Colin was wearing a SHORT sleeved, striped American Eagle V-neck shirt when he left for the party. Reports were made from witnesses who saw him on the road that he wasn't wearing a jacket, but a LONG sleeved shirt. The jacket was never seen. I'm confused. Could people who saw him walking mistaken the jacket for a long sleeved shirt? Or...was he wearing a different shirt than he was dropped off at the party in? Hmmm...I went back and now I'm seeing the witness said it looked to be a white, 3/4" sleeved shirt. I wish things were being reported consistently! Makes it hard to narrow anything down completely.

EDIT...I started thinking about this more...this is a bit crazier...but what if the guy who was driving with his mom didn't see COLIN on the side of the road...but someone else? Like someone who was hiding something, or buying something, or...I dunno...maybe they were acting crazy (flailing arms and such) because they were intoxicated, on drugs, or just plain freaking out about something bad that had just happened? I just don't know. This occurred to me only because of the discrepancies with the shirts.

Ok, so reading through all of this thread again, I have a question. We know that Colin did NOT have a pre-arranged ride home. Has it been confirmed who his last cell phone contact was? I read again how AT stopped and asked Colin if he wanted a ride, and Colin responded that he was waiting for a friend to pick up him. To me, that sounds like he did NOT want to associate with AT, so he lied about a random friend picking him up (however, this theory could be debunked if we did in fact know that a friend was his last contact on his phone, for that could mean that his last call was to arrange a last-minute ride home).

It has not been confirmed publicly who his last call was to. Good point that perhaps he did not want to associate with AT. I think AT and his family were not necessarily the people with the best reputation in town.

Quoting this again. I went back on fb to look at BN, AT, and JA. BN and AT (had a baby together) are no longer together (a recent development, I think, because when I last checked this back in July, I recall them being together...although she just had another baby, so who knows if it's AT's or the current boyfriend...). They are no longer fb friends. However, BN and JA still are. Anyway, looking at one of the MANY pictures on BN's facebook...there are a ton, you'd better have some free time if you're gonna go look, haha...someone commented on a picture of AT saying something like "look at my handsome brother in a tux" (it was around prom time in 2012). This commenter had the same last name as JA. SO...correct me if my family tree is wrong, but wouldn't that mean that this sister (the commenter) and AT are half siblings, and then the sister and JA are also cousins, just as AT and JA are, but they have the same last name because of their parents being siblings/being married into the name? I ONLY bring up this heavily convoluted observation because it could be a basis of finding that address (new names). HOWEVER. It's 2016. Have the websleuths policies changed? I'm not sure we're allowed to do this.

AT was in jail for a while this summer, as was his brother NT, they were in fact in for a time together. Lovely family (sarcasm)!! I think BN has moved on from AT and did have a baby with someone else. I love that they all have their FBs wide open. I am still waking up and need coffee to decipher the family tree better, but the T's def have step siblings.

Sorry for all the posts. A lot comes up when you re-read and re-analyze everything.

It's been reported that Colin was wearing a SHORT sleeved, striped American Eagle V-neck shirt when he left for the party. Reports were made from witnesses who saw him on the road that he wasn't wearing a jacket, but a LONG sleeved shirt. The jacket was never seen. I'm confused. Could people who saw him walking mistaken the jacket for a long sleeved shirt? Or...was he wearing a different shirt than he was dropped off at the party in? Hmmm...I went back and now I'm seeing the witness said it looked to be a white, 3/4" sleeved shirt. I wish things were being reported consistently! Makes it hard to narrow anything down completely.

EDIT...I started thinking about this more...this is a bit crazier...but what if the guy who was driving with his mom didn't see COLIN on the side of the road...but someone else? Like someone who was hiding something, or buying something, or...I dunno...maybe they were acting crazy (flailing arms and such) because they were intoxicated, on drugs, or just plain freaking out about something bad that had just happened? I just don't know. This occurred to me only because of the discrepancies with the shirts.

Appreciate your posts, no need to be sorry....did you notice my string before yours, lol??

How do we go about getting the police reports from that evening? Do we just call tupper lake pd and ask? Maybe that would clear up the confusion on the clothes.

Thanks for your great thoughts and being here for Colin!

Of course! Colin deserves justice. His family and loved ones deserve justice. I want this to get solved...it's so solvable, in my opinion!

Haha, yes, I noticed your string of replies and I said to myself, ok, at least others are going nuts trying to get clues, too! Andalso, I said it before but I'll say it again, I greatly appreciate your effort you're putting forth in this case.

It's so difficult because I am from the complete opposite side of the country. Is that something you can do in NY, just ask for the police reports? I wish we had our insider still, that could be very helpful right now.

MY OWN OPINION...after reading through everything again last night, I believe this case will crack with BN. She doesn't seem to have ties to the others anymore, aside from the baby. Which...could complicate things, of course. I wonder how heavily LE looked into that group of people. I think BN is the one that needs to crack. MOO!!!

Of course! Colin deserves justice. His family and loved ones deserve justice. I want this to get solved...it's so solvable, in my opinion!

Haha, yes, I noticed your string of replies and I said to myself, ok, at least others are going nuts trying to get clues, too! Andalso, I said it before but I'll say it again, I greatly appreciate your effort you're putting forth in this case.

It's so difficult because I am from the complete opposite side of the country. Is that something you can do in NY, just ask for the police reports? I wish we had our insider still, that could be very helpful right now.

MY OWN OPINION...after reading through everything again last night, I believe this case will crack with BN. She doesn't seem to have ties to the others anymore, aside from the baby. Which...could complicate things, of course. I wonder how heavily LE looked into that group of people. I think BN is the one that needs to crack. MOO!!!

Thanks! Colin's smile just got into my heart!! I want to see this solved so badly for the family, and to see the perp/s who did this held responsible. As fas as the police report...I don't know if just asking for it is how to go about it. Can anyone weigh in here? I would think the press would have asked for it by now. I also wish there were still insiders here. I wish Colin's family was here. As we agree, this feels solvable.

To that note: the BBM: I completely agree about BN, she made a FB post about the fight at the party the night he went missing, so we know she was there. And, she also was dating and has a child with AT...the very same AT that Colin supposedly spoke with 2 times on the side of the road on Route 3 the evening he went missing. I feel like the dots connect themselves. I very much wonder if in fact Colin did get in AT's car. I have also wondered if BN is too scared to talk...

One thing I can't get over in this case is Colin's pipe and license found on Setting Pole Dam Rd. I think we need to think about how that went down? I feel like there is a clue I am missing there.

So, party on Pasgagunamah....last seen walking on route 3 and then items of his found on Setting Pole. How did this all go down? And these are the Adirondack Mountains, you do not want to just be walking around in the dark at night by yourself.

Just some thoughts. Feel free chime in everyone!!

Then I thought...maybe I'll check into emailing one of the local papers there and see if they had checked into getting a police report. Then I saw the news editors last name at the ADE. I am fairly confident she is married to the TL Chief of Police. Hm. I think I'll skip that email.

I mention this not to make implications of any impropriety, but merely to reiterate the fact that this is an everybody knows everybody and their business type of town.

In my opinion.

Then I thought...maybe I'll check into emailing one of the local papers there and see if they had checked into getting a police report. Then I saw the news editors last name at the ADE. I am fairly confident she is married to the TL Chief of Police. Hm. I think I'll skip that email.

I mention this not to make implications of any impropriety, but merely to reiterate the fact that this is an everybody knows everybody and their business type of town.

In my opinion.

OOOOH. Good catch, I'm not sure if I would have found that one myself. Is that the main newspaper in that area? I'm wondering if there's another one we could go to, either local or larger. March isn't THAT far off...maybe we can get a ball rolling soon here...it being the 5th anniversary and all.

Thanks! Colin's smile just got into my heart!! I want to see this solved so badly for the family, and to see the perp/s who did this held responsible. As fas as the police report...I don't know if just asking for it is how to go about it. Can anyone weigh in here? I would think the press would have asked for it by now. I also wish there were still insiders here. I wish Colin's family was here. As we agree, this feels solvable.

To that note: the BBM: I completely agree about BN, she made a FB post about the fight at the party the night he went missing, so we know she was there. And, she also was dating and has a child with AT...the very same AT that Colin supposedly spoke with 2 times on the side of the road on Route 3 the evening he went missing. I feel like the dots connect themselves. I very much wonder if in fact Colin did get in AT's car. I have also wondered if BN is too scared to talk...

One thing I can't get over in this case is Colin's pipe and license found on Setting Pole Dam Rd. I think we need to think about how that went down? I feel like there is a clue I am missing there.

So, party on Pasgagunamah....last seen walking on route 3 and then items of his found on Setting Pole. How did this all go down? And these are the Adirondack Mountains, you do not want to just be walking around in the dark at night by yourself.

Just some thoughts. Feel free chime in everyone!!

Great points you've made. I think if she does know something, she's too afraid. She still has to deal with AT because of custody matters, I would assume. Plus, JA is part of the family, so I could see that getting weird, too (even if JA wasn't involved, family might stick together and go against BN, things could get sticky regarding the child...they could try to soil her reputation to make her lose custody...or something...all sorts of scenarios run through my mind, and I understand why she wouldn't want to say something). HOWEVER, of course, we wish that if anyone knows something, that they would come forward...I'm hoping with the five year anniversary, it will help spark some consciences that people will want to clear. Here's to hoping.

The pipe and the license...I agree, very telling. It was reported that they weren't found together, but apart, correct? How far apart were they, does anyone recall? It seems odd that if they WERE found some distance apart, it would be by accident. I would think that if clothing was being shed or pockets were being rustled through by Colin, that the items would have fallen out somewhat near each other. If they were found a larger distance apart than say a few feet, then it would be logical that someone was throwing them out on purpose...now, whether this was Colin (maybe getting stopped by LE and wanting to rid himself of a pipe and ID...he was smart, maybe he didn't want to initially tell LE who he was?) or someone else who was attacking him (ridding Colin of identifying things), I'm not sure.

MY OWN OPINION...Colin had a pipe. Although reported as a tobacco pipe, we all know what it was used for. Since he had one on him, it's logical to assume that he smoked, and not tobacco (no judgement here, he was a teen and that's something teens dabble in). Also, since he was at a party where his own parents have said that they were on call to pick him up as necessary (they also said there was a DD to drive him home), it's safe to assume that Colin would be drinking (again, no judgement, it sounds like there were safety precautions in order by his parents as far as getting him home, or at least there were initially). SO. He'd been drinking and smoking. That combination can DEFINITELY disorient someone. Depending on how much of each he'd had, I could definitely see someone taking him down, even as a guy who was over 6 ft tall. Just something I was thinking about. It seems like someone could have known how much Colin had to drink/smoke and took advantage of the situation. I'm not throwing out the disoriented and succumbed to hypothermia, however...by this point, I think animal scavaging could have gotten rid of the remains quite easily. BUT...the only thing that gets me...I would have thought they'd have found the body by now (AND I HATE SAYING THAT :( :( :( ).

Hunting season just started recently for the area. I hope they are reminding people again this year to keep an eye out for anything out of the ordinary.

I came to Websleuths only recently through LISK/TKS, but then started looking into cases in my "local area" (I'm in the southern ADKS ~ 2 hours from Tupper Lake). I had remembered reading about Colin's case a few years ago and did a search to see if anything had come of it. Like, eekasaur I binge read this entire thread and feel this case is completely solvable if the right information is provided or certain people share their POV from that night. I wish we could find Colin and provide some sort of closure for the Gillis family. In watching Colin's graduation speech, family interviews, etc Colin seems like such a great young kid with a promising future that was taken from him all too suddenly when he seemingly vanished on March 11 2012.

Throughout reading this thread I've gone through several possibilities and questioning the motives/accounts of the motorists who report seeing Colin or someone that could have been Colin that night. At first I thought the hypothermia and burrowing in was the most likely outcome, but the more I researched the more I am convinced that foul play occurred and someone knowing covered up what happened that night.

As previously discussed, I wish we knew more about what took place at the party and why Colin would have stayed after his main group of friends left. I know it has been floated the possibility of a girl being the reason that he hung around after his friends left and, no disrespect to Colin or his gf at the time, but seems like the most plausible reason to stay behind (without your friends, at a (assumedly) unknown residence with people you do not know/are not well acquainted with, and without any planned ride home.

I am wondering if there was cell reception at the location of the party... In that case, why wouldn't Colin have called his parents or a friend for a ride before setting out into the night? Perhaps he didn't want his parents to see the state he was in after partying? His parents stated he left about 830 for the party. How long where they there for 9/930 - 1/130am is a long time for someone to consume alcohol or drugs. Perhaps he didn't even think of calling and was too angry/embarrassed/upset at whatever caused the fight/abrupt end to the party and stormed off into the night.

I think it was around post 492 in which the backpack and coat were discussed.... I know there are conflicting reports as to whether Colin had the coat and backpack. Maybe if he was kicked out of the party or left upset, he left it behind and forgot it -- in which case I'm not sure why it would not have been turned into LE. OR having gone to parties while at SUNY Plattsburgh, it was not uncommon to have your belongings (esp coats) stolen when other people went to leave. As in if the coat was with the black side out, and most other people have black coats, someone else could have mistaken it for their own and took it when leaving the party. Why they would not have later reported this, I do not know.

Back to post 601 -- IF there was someone jealous of Colin and his success in the small town, maybe they were upset that night at not having been included/invited to the party and decided to act out when they saw Colin walking alone, possibly in an altered state... Although I believe we know now that Colin and his friends had actually crashed the 21st bday party of someone that was not in their immediate friend group.

Something that also nags in my mind is the 2 personal items that were found and determined to be Colin's. They were found a distance apart with the first dropped item being the pipe. BEFORE learning what the second item was, I was leaning towards Colin dropping the license on accident as it would not have made much noise and could easily slip out of a pocket while reaching for something else. However, the first dropped item, the pipe, WOULD have made a noise when dropped. Aren't these usually metal or glass? Depending on the size and material, this would have made a pretty substantial sound and it seems Colin would have noticed dropping this. Unless of course this is where an event took place (possible hit by car/forced into car/some kind of altercation). In this scenario, the license found some distance away perhaps was thrown from a vehicle or dumped by someone other than Colin.

With AT & family history/legal troubles, I do not think it would be a stretch that he was somehow involved. Both AT and the news editor that reported seeing Colin, are described as driving "small trucks". I take this to mean no extended cab. Seeing as how both drivers had passengers, Colin would have been sandwiched in the front row and so, I understand why the news editor would not have stopped. This also indicates that IF AT stopped and asked Colin if he needed a ride the first time, maybe he did not want to be possibly put in the middle of AT and JA in the truck. Maybe he did not feel comfortable being that close to them. As others have mentioned, it seems in a town this small and being close in age they would have been somewhat familiar with one another. This also gives a pretty easy way for AT to possibly transport Colin if he did strike him with the truck or was involved in some way. The bed of the truck would work to conceal and transport a subdued/injured/unconscious victim to another location. I would assume LE has looked into those who are the last known people to see Colin and their whereabouts in the hours/day after seeing Colin.

I know this is a long post, but these are my initial thoughts after reading this thread and looking into this case. I am hoping there are some answers soon as we are quickly approaching the 5 year mark.

Thanks for your post, Laursleuth!

Where did you read that the pipe was dropped first? I've either forgotten that detail, or missed it during my search (I believe you, I just want to find where it says that, because it gets my wheels spinning!) You might be onto something here, with the noise. Interesting.

Interesting points about the trucks, too. This is true...getting squeezed into the middle of a non-extended cab would be uncomfortable for people unless they were at least friendly acquaintances (which, from the sounds of it, AT and Colin were not).

I also wanted to add a link to Colin's brother's blog which I have not seen included thus far on this thread

July 1 2013:
Colin is 19 years old. He is the middle child of the 3 sons in my family, me being the youngest. As much as i hate to admit it, I am a spitting image of my brothers. If you took the two of them and put them together, you have me. Colin is a smart kid, very resourceful. He graduated a year early at the age of 17. Colin was known for going out to parties pretty often, being a funny kid, and for his short fuse(which I have as well). Unfortunately, Colin went missing on March 11th, 2012 after being at a party and was last seen walking on a highway at 3 AM. It’s kinda crazy to think this happened, I mean, I live in such a small town, and you don’t ever expect this to happen to anyone, including yourself. So I created this blog to talk about Colin, and some other things as I mentioned early. This is where the name comes from, My perspective(or approach) as a brother of a missing child. This also applies to a variety of other things, as you will see later. Not sure how often I will be posting, but I will try to keep updated.

October 10 2013:
Dreaming is something that I seldom do, but believe in heavily. Colin has been in my dreams before, but I have never had a dream about him coming home. He has played a smaller role in a dream, such as being a bystander, but this was the first time that he was the subject. The thing that caught me off guard was the fact that it all seemed so easy. That one day I could just come home and he would be there, home with my parents, doing chores. A part of me believes it, that he could just be out there, ready to come home at anytime. Another part of me believes I may never see him again, and it’s hard to believe one without completely rejecting the other. I know I have to stay optimistic, and I am, it’s just the fact that I know either one could be true, but we won’t know until we find him, or he comes home. It is either that, or he is dead somewhere and I may have spent all this time rejecting reality. So my mind won’t completely reject the possibility that I may never see him again until I know what has really happened. All I know is I wait for this moment to actually happen, to make this surreal dream a long awaited reality. That the life of my brother will be no longer be a guessing game, but something celebrated.

August 13 2014:
What’s left to write? It’s been two years and 5 months since my brother’s disappearance, nothing has developed since. Only rumors and speculations about how he was murdered or how he is living in Louisiana, I’ve imagined them all. I

https://abrothersapproach.wordpress.com

This was linked on the Bring Colin Gillis Home FB page.
---

Someone is holding the key to this solving this case. PLEASE speak out, share the information you have with the authorities, even anonymously so it can be looked into!!!

Anyone with information relevant to this case can contact State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation Investigator Jeremy Viele at 518-897-2041.

https://projectjason.org/forums/topic/3094-missing-teen-colin-gillis-ny-03112012/

Thanks for your post, Laursleuth!

Where did you read that the pipe was dropped first? I've either forgotten that detail, or missed it during my search (I believe you, I just want to find where it says that, because it gets my wheels spinning!) You might be onto something here, with the noise. Interesting.

I found this information here in post # 627 by Sunsetgirl
Take a close look at the map pictured in this most recent (New York Times) article:
http://nyti.ms/12aVmVA

... if you open a separate window with the photo you can enlarge to see the details.

I think it's safe to conclude that E1 (P) is the pipe and E2 (DL) the driver's license ... so they were not found in the exact same spot.

Since Colin was walking west (and assuming he continued west) then the pipe was 'dropped' first and the driver's license second.

I clicked on the magnifying glass on map in the article and then zoomed in. Here is a screenshot
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 5.33.54 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-12-04 at 5.33.54 PM.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 167
AHHHH, thank you, I DO remember reading that now. Yes, makes sense, since he was traveling west. Good catch on Sunsetgirl's part.

It is interesting to think about. I wonder if it means anything. IN MY OPINION, if he dropped the pipe, he would have heard it. I'd think he'd pick it up again if he were coherent, UNLESS it was broken. Do we know if it was found completely whole? If it was broken, maybe he wouldn't have even bothered to pick it up because it was now of no use to him. So...since it wasn't picked up again (and assuming it was whole), I'm going with he was either incoherent to the point where he didn't know or care it was dropped, or he lost it in a shuffle, or in a situation where he didn't know he lost it (car hit him, etc.). The ID...I don't know how that got dropped. Those are easier to drop without realizing it, so that could be any number of scenarios.

Unless...someone who had Colin wanted to rid him of his ID and pipe. Maybe in preparation for potentially getting pulled over...someone could use the cover story of "Oh, our friend passed out, we're just giving him a ride home". Ridding him of the pipe would get rid of paraphernalia (which you wouldn't want in your car in case of a pull-over by a cop), and the ID would get ensure that if the cops DID want to find out who Colin was in a pull-over situation, they'd have to rely on who the driver said he was (so they could lie...and later once it was known that Colin was missing, said cop wouldn't be able to conclusively state that he pulled a car over with Colin in it). Do we know if the ID was fingerprinted? I'd imagine you could get some prints off of that thing.

All just my own rambling thoughts...

I have not seen any mention of the condition of the pipe. But that is a good point, if it was broken it seems one would likely just leave it.

I was thinking along the same lines that the ID may have been discarded by someone not wanting Colin to be identified or any concrete connection to Colin/his personal items. My husband actually asked about the finger prints too, but I did not find any information on that. I'm not sure how fingerprints hold up if it was in some snow, slush, or rain. I also did not find any information as to who found it and how it was handled when it was located.

Laursleuth....glad to have you join the thread and I am glad you linked the blog....I personally have never read it, searched for it a few times but guess I missed the link on the fb page. I am glad to know his brother chose the outlet of writing. I wish he would come here and join us, or a family member would. Or a local. Something.

Do they even know we have been here trying to solve this since day 1? I want to bring Colin justice and bring him home. I want them to have answers. My only connection to Colin is that I am a part-time sleuther who has spent a lot of time in the Adirondacks, not specifically Tupper but not far. Also, it was on my local news when it happened as his college is near where I live. I was immediately drawn to him, his smile and the idea that I could in fact contribute to solving this case. Then...years passed and I found myself still here, scratching my head that there has been virtually no movement on this case.

Eek ( If i may call you that?) I wrote a long response to your last post when we were going back and forth, and it somehow went poof... But in general, it seems we are on the same page. The pipe and license thing is baffling!

I finally re-read the NY Times article and realized that it said they won't release the police report because it is an ongoing investigation. I have been banging my head against the wall for that report. I hope someone in LE is actually actively investigating this case.

Here are some thoughts I have had.

So, BN was at the party. And AT was driving JA home. So, AT left BN at the party? Did AT and BN get in a fight that night? Was Colin maybe protective of BN in some way. Did Colin stay and AT left? Was there a lovers quarrel over this? I have no idea, but I do feel like something like that could have happened.

I would like to know what the town rumors are...because in them is likely a shred of truth.

Justice for Colin!

Bring Colin Home!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members