NY NY - Colin Gillis, 18, Tupper Lake, 11 March 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder who the last partygoer was that saw him walk out of the party? Has anyone confirmed if he was drinking? drunk? disoriented? What are his friends at the party saying happened?

I too wonder about the people at the party I but haven't heard any details. IMO, that is where I am starting to think the answers lie.

I wonder where he was going with his elderly mother at 1:45 am. Seems odd.

I believe he is an editor of a paper in Lake Placid?? He was driving his mom home to where she lives in Tupper Lake. I am assuming they were doing something fun that night (seeing friends or going to a movie, etc) and he was driving her home afterwards. I am sure they have been checked out by LE.

Nothing new on missing Tupper teen

A quiet has settled on the search for missing Tupper teenager Colin Gillis.

After weeks of scouring the nearby woods and rivers, no new information has turned up in the 18-year-old's disappearance.

[snip]

The DEC search remains ongoing, categorized as "limited continuous," meaning spot searches occur periodically in the forest and waterways, and rangers training in the area keep the search on their priority list.

Troop B Bureau of Criminal Investigation State Police Investigator Sean Finn said Tuesday they have no new information to report.

More: http://pressrepublican.com/0100_news/x883171198/Nothing-new-on-missing-Tupper-teen

I hate cases like this.

Where are you, Colin?

These are the cases that make you believe in alien abductions. I pray he just needed a break and shows up someday safe and sound!

This time of year the Adirondack Mountains will get many visitors: hikers, campers and boaters etc. Perhaps all these extra sets of eyes will help locate Colin. I hope there are fliers everywhere so that people will know to be on the look out!
I just can't imagine what happened to this young man, but I do wonder if it had something to do with the people from party he attended.
Where are you Colin?

I am a teeny bit surprised (I feel like most of that emotion has been bled out of me after spending some time on these boards) that more info about the party has not come out.
Was the crowd mostly middle class college going students? Were there drugs? Did he have good friends or childhood enemies there?

I am leaning towards a random accident/ hypothermia situation as I think that is most likely but still wondering why more details of that night have not emerged.

Hello, I am a new member at Websleuths and have been following the Colin Gillis story. My heart goes out to Colin and his family, and I keep them close in my prayers. This story is so strange..noone completely vanishes..he HAS to be somewhere. Based on everything that I have read both here and elsewhere, I do not believe Colin willingly just 'took off.' I don't believe it was hypothermia either. I believe it was by force and against his will. There are all kinds of predators out there..and not always just after girls.Someone(s) out there knows what happened and where he is. I can't begin to imagine what his family has to be going through. I hope and pray that he is found soon.

Welcome Nancy1954!

:welcome:

So, if I read you right, you think this was a someone who intentionally wanted to harm someone that night? Would you like to elaborate?

Welcome Nancy1954!

:welcome:

So, if I read you right, you think this was a someone who intentionally wanted to harm someone that night? Would you like to elaborate?

Yes, I think Colin Gillis may have had the terrible misfortune of meeting up with a predator(s). I have no reason other then what I have read about his disappearance to base my feelings on. We know whatever happened to him happened in a relatively short time frame..from the time the newspaper gent and his mother saw him to the time the state police person was sent to check it out. We know that an 'all-out' extensive search was conducted the next day. Save for the two items of his that were found beside the road(one we know for sure was his drivers license)it's like he simply 'vanished.' It sounds like Colin Gillis had close family ties..he was enrolled in pre-med in college..this isn't some mixed up kid. I don't believe that he would ever let his family worry like this.. that if he were able to contact them he would. He has been gone way too long(in my opinion)for this to be anything other then an abduction. If he had had hypothermia someone would have found him in one of those many searches(air, land, water)by now. He couldn't have walked that far on that cold night. My thought is that he was walking in the area where he was last seen when someone(s) stopped their vehicle. His drivers license was found on the roadside..why? Was it like someone else here mentioned? A policeman..taxi driver..someone who you would feel comfortable enough to show it to if asked..and did he then possibly drop it while trying to defend himself? They say that the police look at those closest to you first..I have no doubt they have..but because NOTHING more seems to have been heard or seen of Colin Gillis..I just wonder if he didn't meet up with the wrong person(s). Just sharing my thoughts and opinions, that's all.

I thought that Colin would have been found by now. I know that there are a ton of paddlers out on the lakes and rivers this weekend so hopefully if he did wander into water he will be found soon.

I just can't imagine that this was foul play unless it was an accident such as a car hit him and covered it up. I am so sad for his family, he seemed to be a likeable young man with a bright future.

I always tell my kids to stick to the buddy system...always. If there are two of you it is less likely that anyone will bother you, plus if there is an emergency then there is someone to help. Even a drunk buddy is better than no buddy.

I *think* this area is heavily forested with undergrowth? I am a westerner, so someone please correct/inform me. I know they have done extensive searches but maybe he is still there?
I am not sure where else he could be. I hope he wasn't taken, but I am aware that it could be a possibility.

Does anyone know how far the wallet and the shoe were from each other? Are we talking within a few feet or much farther apart?

I *think* this area is heavily forested with undergrowth? I am a westerner, so someone please correct/inform me. I know they have done extensive searches but maybe he is still there?
I am not sure where else he could be. I hope he wasn't taken, but I am aware that it could be a possibility.

Does anyone know how far the wallet and the shoe were from each other? Are we talking within a few feet or much farther apart?

BBM: I would say it would be difficult terrain to search...The Adirondack's are "Forever Wild" (and beautiful!!!!) but the terrain would likely have a lot of steep ups& down & undergrowth etc. Also, black bears.
I just don't know what to think happened to this young man. He was attempting to flag down traffic in the wee hours of the morning. He could very well have flagged down the wrong person.
There was an article that stated his license and a shoe were found...but then the info went *poof* from the article. I don't know if the information was removed because it was incorrect or if LE didn't want it leaked. But, if those items were found it does make it sound like foul play and less like him wandering into the woods.

Does anyone know, if he fell through the ice, would his body re-surface after the ice thawed? Or would it sink to the bottom?

So exactly which witch does Rich mean??? Before for himself > driving or before > for Colin who was on foot westbound walking against the traffic. :waitasec:

"I was coming home with my mom, who lives in Tupper Lake, about 1:45 in the morning," he said. "We were headed east on State Route 3. Right by the county line, I saw somebody walking on the side of the road (against traffic), pretty close to on the white line, heading west towards Piercefield. "It was before the turn to Setting Pole Dam Road.

... "I could tell it was a male — he was just walking," he said. "At first it looked like he was hitchhiking — he had one arm down, then he put the other arm up. But he was walking against traffic, in the opposite direction to be hitchhiking.

If Rosentreter meant before HE HIMSELF got to Setting Pole Dam Road, that would mean Colin had alread passed the (SPD) road that his 'things' were found on...

:banghead:

Regardless & FWIW, there is a cut line / clear & wide open trail - visible from Setting Pole Dam Road that leads right back to Paskungameh Road.

http://goo.gl/maps/n9oT

Also, I just realized some homes on Paskungameh are waterfront - along the river.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine