NY NY - Colin Gillis, 18, Tupper Lake, 11 March 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are more things I came across:

All quotes are from Tupper Lake Free Press article on 3/14/12, pages 1 & 6 unless otherwise noted (I realize this was an early news report so some details may be inaccurate)
http://www.tlfreepress.com/tlfp120314/page1.pdf
http://www.tlfreepress.com/tlfp120314/page6.pdf

*** On page 1 there is a picture that shows the snow cover on the side of the road and into the woods where searchers were looking - looks like there was still a fair amount of snow when the searching began.

re: fight
---“Mr. Gillis reportedly wandered away from a party at a private residence on Paskungameh Road on Saturday night. There had apparently been a fight at the party.” (has anyone found any real details about this supposed fight?)

re: early searching/timeframe
---"Mr. Gillis was reported missing at 5:30 p.m. on Sunday, March 11 by his mother… Family members and friends had been looking for Colin since Sunday. Wayne LaPierre and his dog, who are members of Search and Rescue Team of the Northern Adirondacks, began searching for Colin Sunday as well."

re: Colin's description
---“Mr. Gillis is six-feet one-inch tall and weighs 170 pounds. He was reportedly wearing a white shirt with black stripes, blue jeans and sneakers, according to the release. Colin was “possibly carrying” a orange back pack and “possibly wearing” a red or black reversible coat, the rangers said."
---"Some of the forest rangers were more specific Tuesday in the description of Colin’s apparel, saying the white shirt with black stripes he was wearing was an American Eagle brand. He was, in fact, carrying an orange back pack and his Nike sneakers were red in color. Reports indicate that he was, in fact, wearing a red and black reversible coat, with the black side out, one ranger told his party."
---"Mr. Rosentreter (last known eye-witness) said the man was wearing what he described as a “baseball style” shirt, but wearing no coat. He also disputed a report this week that Colin Gillis was carrying a backpack."
(later news reports indicate he MAY HAVE had the backpack & coat ... obviously they never turned up)

re: weather
---"Temperatures were rising quickly Monday morning, hitting above 50 degrees F. by mid-day. Temperatures had been in the teens, however, both Saturday and Sunday nights." On Tuesday: "The temperature had been relatively warm overnight and was over 45 degrees F. by 9a.m. Light rain was falling."

re: official search
---"Addressing the potential searchers about 9:15a.m., two forest rangers, Pete Evans and Jim Waters of the Ray Brook unit, explained the procedure that would be followed that day. They called it a “type 3” search, where participants would walk almost “shoulder to shoulder” looking for “the smallest clues,” which included small pieces of Colin’s clothing or even broken branches. They cautioned the searchers that some of the terrain they would be searching that day in the forested lands aligning Route 3 was quite rough and often contained thick brush and swampy areas."

re: last sighting
---"Rich Rosentreter, editor of the Lake Placid News, was returning from Hogansburg and Massena that evening with his mother, Stella, at 1:45a.m. in his small pickup when he spotted a man walking alongside the highway against traffic towards Piercefield. Mr. Rosentreter said he spotted the man near the snowplow turnaround near the county line on Route 3, walking in a westerly direction. Mr. Rosentreter said the man was wearing what he described as a “baseball style” shirt, but wearing no coat. He also disputed a report this week that Colin Gillis was carrying a backpack. Since the mercury that evening was hovering in the teens, the former Adirondack Daily Enterprise reporter said he began to become concerned about the pedestrian’s dress. Upon arriving in Tupper Lake a few minutes later, he immediately stopped at the village police department where Sergeant Eric Proulx was on duty and told him about the incident. State troopers were immediately notified, Mr. Rosentreter said."

http://adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/529813/New-plan-for-third-day-of-search-for-Gillis.html

I also came across this quote from this news article on 3/14/12 which may shed light on Colin's last cell phone use and makes me wonder how much alcohol he may have had if he was so disoriented:
"They're planning to look today in a few other areas in Tupper Lake, like around Raquette Pond where one can see the area where he lived across the lake. They're also planning to look on Old Wawbeek Road near Sunmount. "While that seems like it's some distance from where the subject was seen and his personal effects were found, in his conversations with people who live near there he mentioned being on their road," VanLaer said. "We don't believe that to be correct - we believe he was confused with who he was speaking to - but we are doing roadside searching of that road as well."

Just interesting. Hopefully (and it seems logical) every single phone call/text made to Colin's cell phone that evening was checked out and those people can account for their actions that night. Sadly, a group of teenagers possibly all drinking does not lead to clear-thinking and mature actions.

http://adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/529813/New-plan-for-third-day-of-search-for-Gillis.html

I also came across this quote from this news article on 3/14/12 which may shed light on Colin's last cell phone use and makes me wonder how much alcohol he may have had if he was so disoriented:
"They're planning to look today in a few other areas in Tupper Lake, like around Raquette Pond where one can see the area where he lived across the lake. They're also planning to look on Old Wawbeek Road near Sunmount. "While that seems like it's some distance from where the subject was seen and his personal effects were found, in his conversations with people who live near there he mentioned being on their road," VanLaer said. "We don't believe that to be correct - we believe he was confused with who he was speaking to - but we are doing roadside searching of that road as well."Just interesting. Hopefully (and it seems logical) every single phone call/text made to Colin's cell phone that evening was checked out and those people can account for their actions that night. Sadly, a group of teenagers possibly all drinking does not lead to clear-thinking and mature actions.

BBM I wonder if he knew someone who lived on Setting Pole Dam Road or if he was so out of it he thought he was on another road? This article makes me think he may have tried to cross the lake for a shortcut and fell through an open area somewhere. I wonder what the ice would be like at that time near the inlet of Racquet Pond and Piercefield Flow? If there is/was a strong enough current in those locations the ice would not be thick enough to cross. I just wonder how that would fit in with his shoe and liscence being found. I also wonder if he was waving his arms at the reporter because he though it was his friend coming to pick him up and he was not in the location they had arranged.

BBM I wonder if he knew someone who lived on Setting Pole Dam Road or if he was so out of it he thought he was on another road? This article makes me think he may have tried to cross the lake for a shortcut and fell through an open area somewhere. I wonder what the ice would be like at that time near the inlet of Racquet Pond and Piercefield Flow? If there is/was a strong enough current in those locations the ice would not be thick enough to cross. snipped

I think my brain has been stuck on these very same things!!! How helpful it would be to get a verified insider!

The impression I get from reading as many news stories as I could find and watching the TV video clips (they are helpful to get a visual!) is that ...

Colin did NOT go down Setting Pole Dam Rd - each time that road is mentioned it is to indicate where on ROUTE 3 his personal items were found (just to the west of Setting Pole Dam Rd), so based on the eyewitness reports as to the direction he was headed and where his stuff was found, it appears that he stayed on Rte 3 and passed the turn onto Setting Pole Dam Rd.

Old Wawbeek Road is nowhere near where he was seen - I understand why they wanted to search there JUST to be positive but was he THAT disoriented?

IF he wanted to get to the water to attempt crossing, he should've gone down Setting Pole Dam Rd. Maybe he did - he could've backtracked the short distance from where his items were on Rte 3 then turned onto that road. Unless the state trooper drove down that road also to check it out - probably no one would've seen him that time of night - it looks like it's all woods and maybe 1 house along its 1.5mile length.

I just really doubt there was enough ice on that narrow section of the Piercefield flow to even attempt crossing but I could be completely wrong since I wasn't there.

Otherwise, staying on Rte 3, it looks like he would've had to walk another 1-1.5miles to get close to the water without having to trek a considerable distance through snowy woods. Rte 3 appears to be about 3/4 mile from the water (as the crow flies) near where his personal items were found - so if that was what he did - surely they would've found footprints in the snow leading in the general direction of the water. That kind of eliminates the possibility also of him just stumbling off into the woods a short ways and accidentally falling into the water.

The ice should have been quite thick up there in standing water. Even if he did decide to go to the lake to cross, why would he willingly leave behind a shoe? If it was because he was so disoriented from the cold/alcohol/whatever you would think he would just stumble around until he passed out, and would have been found long before now.

I'm torn between him falling through the ice in an area where there was a current or involving an accident/ intentional foul play.

I need to stop obsessing about Colin Gillis. I'm not getting any of my work done!

I checked the weather history -on Wunderground.com it pulls up history for Saranac Lake instead of Tupper Lake so there might be a slight difference being 20 or so miles away in mountainous terrain but I doubt it matters for what I'm thinking here- there was a trace of new snow the Saturday of the party but no precipitation on Sunday or Monday and only rain from that point forward until the very end of March.

So for search and rescue operations, did that help? I think it must have shed light on where Colin had NOT been.

Walking through the snowy woods in March (I do a lot of since we collect maple sap from buckets) you can really see what's been going on - even tiny mouse tracks are visible. Certainly bigger animal or human prints. Even as the snow starts to shrink as the days get warmer, the tracks are still very visible. It is so obvious if an area has NO prints at all.

That leads me to also eliminate the possibility of an animal attack (which I blame that suggestion on a 'tabloid' crime magazine dramatizing and probably terrifying its readers). I don't believe there are packs of wolves in the Adirondacks, if there are even a handful of wolves, I don't think it's officially confirmed. Black bears would most likely still be 'hibernating' (plus black bears attacking humans is RARE). The only other thing would by coyotes. Has there ever been a confirmed coyote killing a man incident? I've only seen prints, never actually seen one. It doesn't really matter though because if any animal had 'taken down' Colin - there would be lots of visible evidence. Animals are not neat and since there was some snow cover, you'd see the 'drag' marks & animal prints.

I wish I could've been there to volunteer for the search. It sounds like they had such wonderful support and many well-qualified search and rescue personnel. It's very telling that nothing was found besides the couple personal effects on the roadside. (Of course, all the following warm days and rain could've melted snow completely, eliminating any footprints in areas that weren't searched immediately - it looks like such a vast area that was eventually covered!)

The ice should have been quite thick up there in standing water. Even if he did decide to go to the lake to cross, why would he willingly leave behind a shoe? If it was because he was so disoriented from the cold/alcohol/whatever you would think he would just stumble around until he passed out, and would have been found long before now.

I'm torn between him falling through the ice in an area where there was a current or involving an accident/ intentional foul play.

You must be right. There must've been enough ice at least close to shore for them to consider this as a possibility. I was thrown off by watching this TV news video and seeing the open water but not sure where exactly that was filmed. It's a helpful video in any case!
(channel 7 news - not sure the exact date of filming but within the first week)http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Search-Expands-142487755.html

You must be right. There must've been enough ice at least close to shore for them to consider this as a possibility. I was thrown off by watching this TV news video and seeing the open water but not sure where exactly that was filmed. It's a helpful video in any case!
(channel 7 news - not sure the exact date of filming but within the first week)http://www.wwnytv.com/news/local/Search-Expands-142487755.html

The beginning of the video says Piercefield so I am assuming it is Piercefield Flow. That is connected to Raquette Pond and Tupper Lake. At the very end of the video it looks like a bridge crossing.

I don't have sound so I'm not sure what I missed but I did see the man searching sinking into the snow up to his waiste. Collin couldn't have made it very far with snow that deep being drunk and cold. And he would have been very easy to track.

Where do these young guys go in such little time?

Here's another case of a young guy missing after a bar fight. He was last seen walking to the car with 2 people who were going to give him a ride. They stopped for a cigarette, he kept walking ahead. He's been missing for 5 days now and they've only found his cell phone in an abandoned vehichle parked in the same lot that he was headed to. The cell phone data shows the phone in other locations after the bar and prior to ending up in the vehicle.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232322

They were both out drinking and got into a fight. Both of them were last were seen walking down the road near a body of water. Did they both get into a vehicle with a stranger and something happen? or could it have been someone they knew? Or did they fall into the water somehow?

Oh gosh! Let's not lose the momentum! Where is everyone?!

Thanks go out to the Tupper Lake Police Department for continuing to feature Colin on their homepage:

http://www.tupperlakepd.com/

I need to stop obsessing about Colin Gillis. I'm not getting any of my work done!

I checked the weather history -on Wunderground.com it pulls up history for Saranac Lake instead of Tupper Lake so there might be a slight difference being 20 or so miles away in mountainous terrain but I doubt it matters for what I'm thinking here- there was a trace of new snow the Saturday of the party but no precipitation on Sunday or Monday and only rain from that point forward until the very end of March.

So for search and rescue operations, did that help? I think it must have shed light on where Colin had NOT been.

Walking through the snowy woods in March (I do a lot of since we collect maple sap from buckets) you can really see what's been going on - even tiny mouse tracks are visible. Certainly bigger animal or human prints. Even as the snow starts to shrink as the days get warmer, the tracks are still very visible. It is so obvious if an area has NO prints at all.

That leads me to also eliminate the possibility of an animal attack (which I blame that suggestion on a 'tabloid' crime magazine dramatizing and probably terrifying its readers). I don't believe there are packs of wolves in the Adirondacks, if there are even a handful of wolves, I don't think it's officially confirmed. Black bears would most likely still be 'hibernating' (plus black bears attacking humans is RARE). The only other thing would by coyotes. Has there ever been a confirmed coyote killing a man incident? I've only seen prints, never actually seen one. It doesn't really matter though because if any animal had 'taken down' Colin - there would be lots of visible evidence. Animals are not neat and since there was some snow cover, you'd see the 'drag' marks & animal prints.

I wish I could've been there to volunteer for the search. It sounds like they had such wonderful support and many well-qualified search and rescue personnel. It's very telling that nothing was found besides the couple personal effects on the roadside. (Of course, all the following warm days and rain could've melted snow completely, eliminating any footprints in areas that weren't searched immediately - it looks like such a vast area that was eventually covered!)

SunsetGirl - where are you? We need your obsessing about Colin's case and need you on Team Colin!

I agree. I wish I had more to contribute to the conversation. I feel like Colin's disappearance is solvable. Something happened at that party that set off an awful string of events. Just my opinion.

:bump:

I kinda spilled my guts already earlier in the thread but I always check in. Glad people still care.

Hi Nugget and ontheclock! Don't go anywhere! :) I agree that Colin's case is solvable. I would like to gather a group of people on WS committed to Colin's case - Team Colin! Would y'all be interested? We need to break this case down from the beginning and meticulously look at details, I feel the answer is in the details.

Wanting2Help, rosesfromangels, travelbug, Tarabull, neverletgo, sherlockh, andalso, hap, alreetlike, deca, Ashcat, rizzo0904 and everyone else, please join Team Colin and let's bring him home! Anyone else in the NY area besides Wanting2Help?

Hi Nugget and ontheclock! Don't go anywhere! :) I agree that Colin's case is solvable. I would like to gather a group of people on WS committed to Colin's case - Team Colin! Would y'all be interested? We need to break this case down from the beginning and meticulously look at details, I feel the answer is in the details.

Wanting2Help, rosesfromangels, travelbug, Tarabull, neverletgo, sherlockh, andalso, hap, alreetlike, deca, Ashcat, rizzo0904 and everyone else, please join Team Colin and let's bring him home! Anyone else in the NY area besides Wanting2Help?

I'm not in NY but you know I am definitely interested in helping! Colin's case is solvable. I do believe that. I think it's helpful to have some NY folks/people in the nearby area to help us know more about the location he was last seen, the area the party was, etc. There are just some things that we can't know unless we are local.

Anyway. Count me in!

I'm not in NY but you know I am definitely interested in helping! Colin's case is solvable. I do believe that. I think it's helpful to have some NY folks/people in the nearby area to help us know more about the location he was last seen, the area the party was, etc. There are just some things that we can't know unless we are local.

Anyway. Count me in!

Thank you Nugget! I'm hoping others will join Team Colin, especially our local NY people, I think they are integral. The two year anniversary of Colin's disappearance is in March so I would really like to get things moving so we can take advantage of the awareness raised by the anniversary. Of course, the best thing that could come from that awareness would be to bring Colin home. Again, thank you for your commitment and let's get to work :)

I'm not local either...in New England, not NY. I do hope this is solved, and soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV