Found Alive NY - Constantinos 'Danny' Filippidis, 49, Lake Placid, 7 Feb 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The same article talks about a snowstorm that closed the lifts around the time he went missing.

Ive been skiing before and that can cause trouble when lifts close. The mountains have strict policy about lifts and wont open them back up when they shut them down.

I was once stuck on the backside of a mountain once after we stayed too late in an area and the lifts closed. It was a lot of anxiety and worries. We had to wait for a shuttle bus to take us to the other side of the mountain. Took around two hours before we got back.

So if there was a blizzard and he somehow got stuck like that then its possible all the commotion triggered some illness he had. The blizzard alone would cause lots of stress.

"He was reported missing from Whiteface in Northern New York after the lifts closed that day, and in the midst of a snowstorm."

http://www.wcax.com/content/news/Missing-skier-found-alive-in-California-473916753.html

Sorry to quote my own post but now I am more convinced what I described above may be very close to what happened. This other link below (thanks Elley) mentions something that fits in with it.

If he took that last run and then got stuck somewhere on the backside of the mountain when lifts closed then he would not be able to get back to lodge without a vehicle of some sort like a local cab or someone willing to drive him. The stress may have triggered him to panic and things went downhill from there as he began to ask people for rides.

"As his pals called it quits for the day, Filippidis went out for one last ski run the afternoon of Feb. 7 and never returned."

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...ed-n-y-ski-trip-found-calif-article-1.3819779

He told deputies he'd forgotten how he arrived at the airport or who drove him there, but that he rode in a "big rig-style truck" and slept "a lot," Hampton said.

Between the Adirondacks and Sacramento, Filippidis bought an iPhone, he told deputies, which he used to call his wife on Tuesday. Filippidis told deputies a truck dropped him off in downtown Sacramento, where he got a hair cut, Hampton said.

The missing skier had forgotten how he traveled from downtown Sacramento to the airport -- approximately 11 miles, Hampton said.

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/adiro...issing_skier_told_deputies_he_crossed_th.html

Filippidis was still dressed in his ski pants, ski jacket, boots and had his helmet.

People that have skiid before will know what I mean about how you can get stuck on wrong sides of mountains from the lodge where you are staying when the lifts close.

I checked the Trail Map and sure enough there is a situation that could cause him that exact problem. Notice on bottom to the right there is a section of the mountain and if he took that last run over on that side and the lifts closed right at that time then he could not get back up to be able to ski down to where his lodge or main parking is. When I got stuck on wrong side of a mountain it was a similar situation where we tried to get one last run in and the lifts closed on us.

That section on the right at the bottom may be further than it looks to the main section on the left and it may not have been walkable for him.

I really suspect this is what triggered the whole situation. I think him wearing the same ski clothes adds to the theory of a real illness he suffered.

I am open to other theories and I could be wrong of course. I hope we get to hear an update about this case. Glad he is found.

https://www.whiteface.com/sites/default/files/public/Maps/Whiteface_Mountain_Trail_Map_2018.jpg

This whole situation is bizarre and i'll throw one other idea out there - head injury while skiing. My husband broke his arm at a ski resort and while we were awaiting treatment at the onsite medical facility, there was a guy waiting next to us, not being given any extra attention and seemed fine. The odd thing was, he was warned to stop using his cell phone. And we were getting annoyed as over and over again he was calling people and saying he had fallen, but was fine. I thought he must have called his entire phone book and every time he was admonished he politely apologized and then minutes later started calling again. Finally a few friends showed up and said "Dude, you've called me 50 times!" and the hospital realized he had a head injury and was experiencing short term memory loss and he was rushed into an available bed.

So rather than a mental health crisis - maybe he had a bad fall or tree collision and truly was in a confused state.

In any event, very glad to see a happy ending!

This whole situation is bizarre and i'll throw one other idea out there - head injury while skiing. My husband broke his arm at a ski resort and while we were awaiting treatment at the onsite medical facility, there was a guy waiting next to us, not being given any extra attention and seemed fine. The odd thing was, he was warned to stop using his cell phone. And we were getting annoyed as over and over again he was calling people and saying he had fallen, but was fine. I thought he must have called his entire phone book and every time he was admonished he politely apologized and then minutes later started calling again. Finally a few friends showed up and said "Dude, you've called me 50 times!" and the hospital realized he had a head injury and was experiencing short term memory loss and he was rushed into an available bed.

So rather than a mental health crisis - maybe he had a bad fall or tree collision and truly was in a confused state.

In any event, very glad to see a happy ending!

Thats a very good theory too.

A head injury could happen even if he just fell down and hit his head on the hard icy ground. People typically think hitting trees when skiing but hitting your head on the ground can be just as bad. A lot of the times the ground is hard packed icy ground and not fluffy snow.

Sonny Bono from Sonny and Cher days ended up dying after hitting a tree when skiing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Bono

I have a question - where is the "trucker". I'm pretty sure if I had picked up someone in full ski gear I would remember that. If he did still have his boots on that's a lot of extra weight to even get into a truck and nobody is coming forward? And they had to be with a stranger for 5-6 days? Weird.

:what:

Toronto CA???

Never heard of it...

BUT there is an Ontario, CA....

Can you find Toronto CA on a map and link it???

:tyou:

:wave:

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/attractions-toronto-california-28493.html
The city of Toronto, California, sits in the shadow of the San Bernardino mountains and offers a number interesting activities and attractions close by for those visiting. Spend days exploring and fishing on Lake Arrowhead or hiking along seemingly never ending nature trails through lush forests. A number of local wineries offer wine tasting and tours, and several nearby interesting shops, galleries and restaurants will suit every taste and budget. The San Bernardino area is known for pristine weather year round.

• sudden, unexpected travel away from home or one's customary place of work, with inability to recall one's past
  • confusion about personal identity, or the assumption of a new identity
  • significant distress or impairment

loss of one's identity or the formation of a new identity occur with sudden, unexpected, purposeful travel away from home.

Dissociative fugue, formerly fugue state or psychogenic fugue, is a dissociative disorder.[SUP][1][/SUP] It is a rare psychiatric disorder characterized by reversible amnesia for personal identity, including the memories, personality, and other identifying characteristics of individuality.

The state can last days, months or longer. Dissociative fugue usually involves unplanned travel or wandering, and is sometimes accompanied by the establishment of a new identity.

It is a facet of dissociative amnesia, according to the fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5).

Fugues are precipitated by a series of long-term traumatic episodes.

confused about their identity or are puzzled about their past

http://www.wcax.com/content/news/Missing-skier-found-alive-in-California-473916753.html

In ski clothes in Sac for the last week?? There's no way that could have been comfortable or even something someone would do on purpose. It's been in the mid 60's the last week there.

That is both sad and angering - someone not noticing or caring

where was LE apparently he was in public

I would think a cop passing him might
have some curiosity

Sacramento?!! I have skied out of bounds before, but that is crazy!

or one heck of skier

OR

- maybe he was heading for the Olympics and got a bit lost!

Thinking that as a Fire Captain with 28 years on the job, he may have been completely comfortable wearing helmet, coat, boots ect and accustomed to being very hot!
The ``large rig `` he thinks he may have ridden on, may have seemed like getting into a firetruck.

Have known of people with not yet diagnosed heart problems doing weird things like somehow getting to a hospital on their own with no memory whatsoever as to how they got there.
imo, speculation.
Valentine`s Day sometimes causes some unusual breaks from routine...

obviously a well planned publicity stunt for attention

nothing more to see here

enough time and resources have already been wasted on the search for him, lets not waste any more money on a so called "investigation"

he has been found alive, that is all anybody needs to know,

all the media are doing at this point is giving him the attention he is seeking,

he probably just had a friend of his drive him there

Thinking that as a Fire Captain with 28 years on the job, he may have been completely comfortable wearing helmet, coat, boots ect and accustomed to being very hot!
The ``large rig `` he thinks he may have ridden on, may have seemed like getting into a firetruck.

Have known of people with not yet diagnosed heart problems doing weird things like somehow getting to a hospital on their own with no memory whatsoever as to how they got there.
imo, speculation.
Valentine`s Day sometimes causes some unusual breaks from routine...

Good points about him maybe feeling comfortable in a large truck.

He may have been acting somewhat normal to the driver of the truck and maybe that is why the truck driver didnt notice anything was wrong with him. He may have just kept saying where he wanted to go and so it could have been quite normal in the ride. If he slept a lot of the ways then he may have not realized how far they traveled. Long sleeping could have been result of injury too.

I could see where the driver may have thought he meant a city in california if the names were the same. We now have proven there is a Toronto California and also a Sacramento street in Toronto. LOL

Most of us have never had a blackout or loss of memory episode like he may have had so it is understandable that this sounds almost unbelievable.

I thankfully have never experienced anything close to what he may have gone through. The closest thing I can relate it to was when I was driving a long ways and was having trouble staying awake. There were whole stretches of the road that I dont remember driving and I think I may have had a case of "sleep driving" where I was half asleep and driving at same time. LOL

I should have pulled over and got some rest as it was scary when I would suddenly jar myself and realize I dont remember the last 50 or 100 miles of road.

Good points about walking with the boots and heavy gear. Even the helmet. So where did he buy the phone and who is the driver?

Thats a very good theory too.

A head injury could happen even if he just fell down and hit his head on the hard icy ground. People typically think hitting trees when skiing but hitting your head on the ground can be just as bad. A lot of the times the ground is hard packed icy ground and not fluffy snow.

Sonny Bono from Sonny and Cher days ended up dying after hitting a tree when skiing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Bono

Liam Neeson's wife died from a head injury sustained from skiing as well. :(

And btw, I know what you mean about getting stuck on the wrong side of the mountain after the lifts close, it is no fun especially when you've been skiing all day and are already exhausted. We also got stuck at the top of the mountain after snow shoeing , and had to snow shoe down through steep, unskiable terrain. Thank goodness only once! So I wonder if he was trying to get back in the snow storm, possibly had to take a more difficult route, and hit his head.

What I do find odd is that he bought an iphone between there and Sacramento, but didn't call his wife until Tuesday. Maybe his memory slowly returned ?

The more I read the weirder this seems to get. At least he was found safe though!

Everything is weird. The new iPhone, the haircut, still in ski boots in CA!

I can barely walk in ski boots! And how does one get an iPhone, and the haircut?!? No one found it suspicious to see a guy walking around in ski boots, ski pants and jacket, helmet and goggles in Sacramento, CA?

THANKS dotr, i had seen that but find it curious it won't come up on google or bing maps....what's up with THAT???

:thinking:

Pea. Que. Lee. Yer.

ETA: it could be that simple, he said I need to get to Toronto, OR Ontario and Mr. Truck Driver said climb aboard (as he was headed to CA, but not CANADA) so I wondered just how well known is Toronto CA. I suppose truckers know all the nooks and crannies. And I suppose it would be quite easy for LE to track down the trucker (to confirm)

ETA2: FWIW, I have traveled in a BIG RIG from TORONTO, ON, Canada to ONTARIO, CA, United States ---- :crazy: it's not so crazy to imagine...lol

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back