Found Alive NY - Constantinos 'Danny' Filippidis, 49, Lake Placid, 7 Feb 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
He must have been pretty 'confused' if he didnt realize after hours of driving they hadn't hit the border yet. Lake Placid isn't that far away. We use to go camping up there in the summer and drive all the way from Northern Ont.

Is he an active firefighter or was a firefighter?

As mentioned, he has been a firefighter for 28 years and is now a Fire Captain at the Yorkville Station (downtown) according to this video interview with the Toronto fire chief. http://toronto.citynews.ca/video/20...fforts-to-locate-missing-toronto-firefighter/

A Fire Captain is the officer in charge of the crew on a truck, and the job pays about $120,000 CDN. (wikipedia & glass door).

So I think a very responsible person with a very serious job, is not going to throw it all away for a stunt.

If he hadn't had a haircut or bought the phone, I'd think Amber Gerweck. But I find the haircut most peculiar.

I wonder if he primarily spoke French too which could have added to the confusion on directions where he was headed.

When I visited Montreal almost everyone spoke French. Not sure about Toronto.

He would definitely be English speaking. He is from Toronto not Quebec.

If he hadn't had a haircut or bought the phone, I'd think Amber Gerweck. But I find the haircut most peculiar.

Amber! Yes, thank you for this. I was trying to think to myself, who does this remind me of, but it is Amber Gerweck.

Filippidis was found in California still wearing his ski gear and appearing “dazed and confused,” according to the president of the Toronto Professional Firefighters’ Association.

Sacramento police have said that Filippidis believes he “suffered a head injury at some point” but is unsure when that may have happened.

Tibbits said that Filippidis is expected back in Lake Placid later today, at which point he will meet with investigators.
https://www.cp24.com/news/missing-f...to-lake-placid-to-speak-with-police-1.3803698

Forgive my ignorance... but couldn't I sell you the old one in my junk drawer without knowing who you are? Seriously, no snark, idk.

You could, but if someone were to purchase one retail somewhere, there's no way that's happening without some kind of ID and cc. 2 of my kids just upgraded their phones last month and I had to show ID & cc info for both.

Head injury makes no sense to me at all (with all the other details). I'm not buying it.

I am not far from Toronto, and this reminds me of another who went missing not far from me. Jonathan Gushue from Cambridge. He was an alcoholic and disappeared after getting another dui and he didn't want to face his family.

Possibly he was trying to get his bearings and find something recognizable, and when he passed a barber shop it felt familiar, so he went in.

Maybe he bought an unlocked iphone and a prepaid sim card? If a confused man walked into a Apple store saying he wasn't from there and needed a phone, an employee could probably set him up with that.

What I suspect is, he was trying to find his way back home on his own, without asking for help. In addition to being amnesiac, he'd be confused and embarrassed. He went to the airport, but maybe he found couldn't buy a ticket or rent a car without his passport.

Protocol for a missing person investigation calls for monitoring credit card and cellphone accounts. Police said they have been working on it, but that part of the investigation is incomplete at this time. They also mentioned how state police are trying to acquire medical records from the hospital Filippidis stayed at in California, but that process takes time.

FilippidisDanny1802NYSPw-630x840.jpg

Constantinos “Danny” Filippidis of Toronto is seen Tuesday in Sacramento, California. Police said that if anyone saw him between the time he went missing and the time he was found call the state police at 518-873-2750.

http://www.adirondackdailyenterpris...r-back-in-lake-placid-region-for-questioning/

Head injury makes no sense to me at all (with all the other details). I'm not buying it.

I am not far from Toronto, and this reminds me of another who went missing not far from me. Jonathan Gushue from Cambridge. He was an alcoholic and disappeared after getting another dui and he didn't want to face his family.

Gushue never claimed amnesia, he just walked away from his life after his citation, until a friend persuaded him to go back. https://www.theglobeandmail.com/lif...-breaks-silence-on-addiction/article27540240/

There's no hint that anything happened at the ski resort that Filippidis was running away from, and I think if a sane person had planned it in advance, they'd have managed it better. For example, just invent a long lost relative to go visit in Sacramento, or get in touch with someone earlier, rather than have everyone desperately searching for days.

The only possibility for deception that occurs to me is if he was suicidal, but doesn't want to admit it.

I chose to take this at face value rather than assume it's a conspiracy.

:fence: I've already eaten my share of crow this new year so I'm just going to sit on my hands for now. But.... ugh.

Wonder what his wife has to say .... ? And he had $1000 in cash? Hmmm. So. I'm thinking that if you "want to get away", don't go missing when you are on a ski trip with brethren..... of course, there COULD be a logical explanation. Glad he is okay but he has some 'splaining to do, me thinks...

Was he CARRYING the ski helmet? That in itself sure would be odd.

Wonder what his wife has to say .... ? And he had $1000 in cash? Hmmm. So. I'm thinking that if you "want to get away", don't go missing when you are on a ski trip with brethren..... of course, there COULD be a logical explanation. Glad he is okay but he has some 'splaining to do, me thinks...

I know. Was he skiing with that much cash on him? Did he ski with his wallet on him? He had his credit card. Did he withdraw cash from a machine for food while with the driver of the big rig?

[h=1]Police search for anyone who may have seen missing Whiteface skier[/h]
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Authorities in Sacramento are releasing new information about a missing Whiteface skier who turned up six days later in California.
The Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department told KCRA that Constantinos “Danny” Filippidis, 49, of Toronto, was found alone Tuesday near the rental car terminal at the Sacramento airport.

Filippidis first called his wife, and she told him to call 911.
He told investigators he didn’t know what day it was.
Filippidis was wearing the same ski clothes, including the helmet and goggles he was reported missing in.
He told deputies he hit his head or experienced some sort of head trauma.
Filippidis said he caught a ride from Wilmington, New York, to Sacramento on a big rig.

Police said they have not yet talked to the truck driver.
Filippidis said he was sleeping for most of the 2,900-mile, 44-hour trip to California.
Officials do not believe Filippidis was under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

He received medical treatment in Sacramento and was considered to be in good health.

New York State Police said Wednesday Filippidis was on his way back to Lake Placid where he agreed to speak with investigators.

He said he was surprised and overwhelmed by the search efforts.

"At this point we want to assist Danny in getting back the last six days of his life and we ask that nobody jump to any conclusions," New York State Police Maj. John Tibbitts said. "The circumstances surrounding this case are still under investigation. And we are still trying to piece together the last six days. We are so pleased that he has been found and he will be reunited with his family and friends."
http://www.mynbc5.com/article/white...ia-slept-for-most-of-2900-mile-drive/17851422

I hope I don't have to eat crow on this one, but I am totally giving him the benefit of any doubt, believing all of it and feeling sad for this man... how scary this would be (providing it all happened the way it's been reported)...

head injuries can make someone do odd things...

I don't disagree, but he had a wad of cash on him.

I think this will turn into one of those cases where everything worked out well (no one died or stayed missing) but we never know the REAL story and so it slowly drives me nuts.....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back