NY NY - Dorothy Arnold, 25, New York, 1910

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
One final comment. The article that came out about her having a botched abortion stated she was dying at her home at the time of publishing. This article was published in 1914, roughly four years after her disappearance. My assumption is she went there, stayed for a while, and then finally after some months contacted her family. They snuck her back home and she was ill for three years. Her boyfriend (can't recall his name) did not return to the United States from England because of guilt, pain and probably fear.

Remember this was during a time when the above would have literally destroyed a family's reputation and the entire family would have lost EVERYTHING.

It must be a timing thing. Here's another article with a quote:

"District Attorney Jackson created a sensation at noon today when he issued a remarkable statement, declaring that Dorothy Arnold is now in her father's home in New York in a weakened condition and mentally unbalanced. Jackson declares that on the strongest kind of evidence he knows she returned to her own home four months ago, and that her parents are doing all they can to keep the matter quiet."

According to this article Dorothy was found near New York by friends.

The operation basically effed her up and she wandered the country for apparently a few years until she was found.

Wow.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=K9hIAAAAIBAJ&sjid=DgINAAAAIBAJ&pg=1830,724704&dq=house+of+mystery+pittsburgh&hl=en

Ok here's a twist.

"Dorothy Arnold Not Found at Home"

Dad denies everything (obviously) and allows reporters to search the house. I find this to be a coverup personally, especially since "not a single trace of Dorothy Arnold was found". Sounds like they got rid of everything they could that the press could use as "evidence".

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=rPdVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=9EANAAAAIBAJ&pg=2396,3300789&dq=house+of+mystery+pittsburgh&hl=en
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=rPdVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=9EANAAAAIBAJ&pg=2396,3300789&dq=house+of+mystery+pittsburgh&hl=en

Interesting.

Found this article from 1912, two years before the botched abortion story came out.

"....a report that the long missing Dorothy Arnold....had been found in Philadelphia and was on her way home was admitted at Police headquarters last night to have been found untrue by a detective sent from here with the lawyer of the Arnold family to identify the supposed Miss Arnold in Philadelphia"

Sounds like this was when she was found wandering about and brought home. Tooooo much of a coincidence that she was found in the area of the hospital when two years later it came out she had a botched abortion at a Pittsburgh hosptial and wandered about for a while afterwards. I mean this was two years before that article. And of COURSE the family lawyer was there to make sure the truth wasn't reported.

The young woman in this story had a baby that she said had just died. The father of the baby had just returned to New York and the woman was reluctatnt to talk about the city.

Just too bizarre to be a coincidence.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=F20F13FE345517738DDDA10894DA405B828DF1D3

Thanks! So according to that scenario, does she get an abortion after she is last seen shopping for books and sweets? Or does she get it while she's out of NY visiting her friend and then she returns to New York, goes shopping, disappears, and then wanders around the country? In a scenario that she died at the hospital because of a botched abortion, then how do you account for the 1914 stuff? It seems strange to me that such a hospital would want to keep a patient there for four years that they couldn't (legally) account for, maybe if they were receiving large sums of money from her parents but it doesn't sound like standard shady hospital actions. Or is that scenario about her getting an abortion in 1914 after wandering around the country, because in that case how to explain the possible abortion that may have been botched too before he disappearance? Did she just get both?

I think one of the articles may have gotten it wrong, there's something that doesn't quite seem to fit otherwise. I'm not doubting that she may have died back then and that her family knew, but I'm trying to figure out how it would have happened timeline-wise.

I wonder how many years the police keeps the records of closed cases in the US, because maybe by now they would be willing to show the evidence that prompted them to close it (unless they closed it because they gave up) to the public or at least to the press.

WOW, I had forgotten about this until I found the book someone suggested long ago "Dorothy Arnold's Escape. Sounds like the family just covered up a pregnancy.

I have always believed this disappearnce to be the result of a botched abortion. In fact, I suspect that there are numerous disppearances over the years that can be attrirubted to this.

In the late 1970's I worked with a woman who was then in her 70's. She herself had had several abortions during the late 1920's , all after her marriage. It seems it was often used as a sort of birth control back then. Only when her own sister died as a result of an abortion, did she decide no more and later gave birth to her two daughters.

I think it was far more common than we think it was. Also, today it is hard to imagine just how shameful it was for an unmarried woman to be pregnant. I have always thought Dorothy died as a result of an abortion and her family covered it up.

I have always believed this disappearnce to be the result of a botched abortion. In fact, I suspect that there are numerous disppearances over the years that can be attrirubted to this.

In the late 1970's I worked with a woman who was then in her 70's. She herself had had several abortions during the late 1920's , all after her marriage. It seems it was often used as a sort of birth control back then. Only when her own sister died as a result of an abortion, did she decide no more and later gave birth to her two daughters.

I think it was far more common than we think it was. Also, today it is hard to imagine just how shameful it was for an unmarried woman to be pregnant. I have always thought Dorothy died as a result of an abortion and her family covered it up.

I am a Sociology major, and I have done research on abortions back when they were illegal. They were actually very common. Some areas were lucky enough to have doctors that actually worked illegally, undercover to perform these abortions, but most of the people who performed them were illegal quacks. Women died, fell gravely ill or could never have children again. A lot of the families never even knew because this was seen as shameful, which did contribute to a number of missing young women.
With modern birth control non-existent during Dorothy's time, and abortions illegal, I could see a botched abortion as her reason for disappearing forever.

I have a couple of questions about the abortion theory. What would have unhinged her mind about it? And, if she was found wandering about a long time later, what would have then caused her to die? The one article states she was at home and was dying. I suppose you could contract syphilis or lots of other diseases if you obtained an abortion under unsanitary conditions.

(I promise this isn't meant to be snarky) What would unhinge her mind about an unwanted pregnancy in 1910 when the shame of it would ruin her and her family forever and her family would disown her, possibly sending her out on the streets? On top of it getting an actual abortion?

She probably died from the abortion. If it didn't kill her immediately a botched surgery could cause a bad infection or god knows what else she could have contracted.

(I promise this isn't meant to be snarky) What would unhinge her mind about an unwanted pregnancy in 1910 when the shame of it would ruin her and her family forever and her family would disown her, possibly sending her out on the streets? On top of it getting an actual abortion?

She probably died from the abortion. If it didn't kill her immediately a botched surgery could cause a bad infection or god knows what else she could have contracted.

I was just wondering if there was a medical reason her mental faculties might have been affected. I don't know much about abortion procedures and didn't think I would enjoy googling them. I have a vague idea of how it's done but not exactly how a backstreet abortionist may have done it, other than maybe not using sterile instruments or having sanitary procedures in place. One of the articles made it sound as if she was dying quite some time after the abortion, so I wasn't sure what medical condition might have caused a delayed death. I don't have any problem believing this is what really happened and that the family covered it up.

Perhaps if they were using strong drugs like heroin for recovery purposes she got addicted??

Re: all the articles. I trust old newspaper articles less than I do today's articles. Back in the day it was all yellow journalism and trying to sell--- just like the Enquirer and Star and all those rags. However, I guess it is really all we have to go on.

I was just wondering if there was a medical reason her mental faculties might have been affected. I don't know much about abortion procedures and didn't think I would enjoy googling them. I have a vague idea of how it's done but not exactly how a backstreet abortionist may have done it, other than maybe not using sterile instruments or having sanitary procedures in place. One of the articles made it sound as if she was dying quite some time after the abortion, so I wasn't sure what medical condition might have caused a delayed death. I don't have any problem believing this is what really happened and that the family covered it up.

I think part of the problem with illegal abortions is that no one was schooled in how to do one (at least, I'm assuming). A friend of my mom's, in the 1960s or 1970s, had one done and was never able to have kids after, and that was 50 years later.

This case always breaks my heart and I used to lurk it before I joined WS. I'm around the age Dorothy was when she disappeared and it sounds like we would have had a lot in common, so it always hits very close to home for me.

There would have been several ways to do it. I don't know about the year 1910 specifically but I do know that it largely depended on whom you were seeing. For example, I've heard of medical implements being used in a semi-medical setting, but also common every day objects (a bit like modern-day wire hangers) and even some primitive versions of chemical abortions.

If Dorothy had an abortion and was mentally unwell afterwards, I think it would be more due to what she was going through and the procedure being scary or painful, than something in the procedure itself if this makes sense. The situation must have been very difficult to bear for her: an unmarried young woman in the 1910s, with a fiance who didn't seem particularly resolved to go through with the marriage, getting a procedure that was dangerous and complicated and much more taboo than it is today. I can't imagine what it must have been liked especially if she was forced by her parents.

I think it could have caused delayed death depending on the method. Something like septic shock could take a while, something that generally caused an infection that slowly spread and caused the rest of her organs to fail. Or maybe while she was recovering she had a sudden strong hemorrhage due to a tear or something. We don't know. There's a lot of explanations that could be possible if the abortion scenario is true.

Perhaps if they were using strong drugs like heroin for recovery purposes she got addicted??
<snipped>

I don't know if I think this was the case... here's my reasoning. Back in the day, strong drugs were very commonly prescribed. An example I'm familiar with is laudanum which was use throughout the 19th century, it's basically tincture of opium. It was used for almost everything, from strong pain to psychological problems (I recall that a poet I like was often prescribed laudanum by physicians due to having 'a nervous constitution'). It became less common in early 20th century but as you point out, opium-based medicine and even cocaine-related drugs were very common. Even medicine for common ailments like diarrhoea included laudanum. In the US, I believe the usage only became more regulated around 1914 or 1915, but these things were still common until later.

Now, there were obviously people who became addicted to them, just as nowadays there are many people who become addicted to prescription drugs. In the case of some opiates for example, there were lots of books and more 'rag' type publications that told tales about addiction, both real and fictional.

However, I think it would have been much like prescription drugs these days but maybe even less regulated. IMO it would have been uncommon for someone of the upper class to become so noticeably addicted they'd run away from home. Opiates aren't like today where unless you have a very strong medical case, you can't just get them legally and easily. If she had become addicted she would have been able to make up something, in the scenario where she had an illegal abortion she would have been able to tell her parents she was still in a lot of pain and been given more for that reason. This is just my opinion of course but this is what I think - the fact that it was so common means she wouldn't have needed to resort to running away.

If you mean a scenario where she died of an overdose, I think that could have been covered up. Upper class family were very hush hush about addiction even when it was an open secret. However, I don't think this would have caused them to hide her body like that. If they thought it was a suicide, at the time this would have been a matter of scandal and if they were religious she could be denied a religious burial, but in upper class families when this happened it was more common to officially frame it as an 'accident'. In the case of an accidental overdose, it would have been even less of a problem to simply say so.

The most I can think of is if they were afraid that the medical inquest would also uncover the abortion if there was one. Even then I can more easily see them pretending to not know or trying to cover it up since it wasn't directly related to the official cause of death (overdose).

This is all my :twocents: obviously.

Greetings everyone!
If you are reading this, you are probably at least somewhat familiar with the story of Dorothy Arnold. Arnold was born on July 1, 1886, into a wealthy family in New York, her father owning a company that imported fine goods such as perfume. They were descended from Mayflower passengers and listed on the Social Register and she graduated from Bryn Marr College in 1905.
after reading through all the data, I personally liked the theory that she had perhaps gone to Europe to be with her boyfriend. I am an amateur genealogist and believe the answer to this-and many other disappearances-lay in long ago records that were not made public for decades. Dorothy Arnold would be 130 next year and can be assumed long dead, so we certainly can not rely on her being sited somewhere. I began to look through passenger lists of ships arriving in Europe for her-or, at least woman somewhat matching her description-but had no such luck.
I believe it is possible that Dorothy Arnold, perhaps after all the dust settled, returned to New York, where she lived in very plain sight. My evidence for this is a listing in the 1930 census. Bert and Minnie Taylor, living on West 29th Street in Manhattan, listed fourteen boarders living at their home-one of whom was Dorothy Arnold. The census-dated April 26, 1930-lists her as 43 (correct age, if you go off the 1886 birthdate, although records show dates ranging from 1884 to 1887), divorced, and working as a clerk in a hotel. It also states her first marriage occurred when she was 28, approximately 1914. I will post a link to the indexed record, although not all the information is listed, and will post a photograph on request. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X4K6-ZC
One of the greatest reasons I believe this could be her is because census records show there are very few other options of who it could be. At the time of the 1900 census, she was the only Dorothy Arnold, born between 1880 and 1890 in New York, listed as living in New York. By 1910, there are three. One (born in 1882) married John Arnold and one (born in 1887) was a Russian immigrant. By 1920, there were two Dorothy Arnold's-one (born in 1882) married Edward Arnold and one (born in 1887) was the Russian immigrant. The wife of John Arnold was listed as Dora. By 1930, there were two. One (born in 1882) was married to John and one was divorced. This could suggest she was the wife of Edward, as no record of these two have been found up to this point, but the five year birth difference, and the fact the census lists that their parents were born in different places makes them appear as different people. Another reason is the fact that Dorothy in 1930 lists her first marriage in 1914, and Edward was single in 1915, meaning she would have had to have married twice in six years-not impossible, but rather dubious. A 1915 New York State Census listing a similar Dorothy Arnold as a nursing student in Erie County is dubious, as in her stated hometown of Essex County there is Dorothy Arnold, ten years younger, so I assume it is just an age error. I believe if this was her it would confirm that she lived and that she was in hiding from her family, but it would not tell for sure why she disappeared or where she disappeared to. It is quite possible she disappeared to Europe for a few years. I highly doubt, if her first marriage was in 1914, that she disappeared to elope.
Anyway, for anyone who actually read through this whole thing, what do you think of this?
J. Nieters

Greetings everyone!
If you are reading this, you are probably at least somewhat familiar with the story of Dorothy Arnold. Arnold was born on July 1, 1886, into a wealthy family in New York, her father owning a company that imported fine goods such as perfume. They were descended from Mayflower passengers and listed on the Social Register and she graduated from Bryn Marr College in 1905.
after reading through all the data, I personally liked the theory that she had perhaps gone to Europe to be with her boyfriend. I am an amateur genealogist and believe the answer to this-and many other disappearances-lay in long ago records that were not made public for decades. Dorothy Arnold would be 130 next year and can be assumed long dead, so we certainly can not rely on her being sited somewhere. I began to look through passenger lists of ships arriving in Europe for her-or, at least woman somewhat matching her description-but had no such luck.
I believe it is possible that Dorothy Arnold, perhaps after all the dust settled, returned to New York, where she lived in very plain sight. My evidence for this is a listing in the 1930 census. Bert and Minnie Taylor, living on West 29th Street in Manhattan, listed fourteen boarders living at their home-one of whom was Dorothy Arnold. The census-dated April 26, 1930-lists her as 43 (correct age, if you go off the 1886 birthdate, although records show dates ranging from 1884 to 1887), divorced, and working as a clerk in a hotel. It also states her first marriage occurred when she was 28, approximately 1914. I will post a link to the indexed record, although not all the information is listed, and will post a photograph on request. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X4K6-ZC
One of the greatest reasons I believe this could be her is because census records show there are very few other options of who it could be. At the time of the 1900 census, she was the only Dorothy Arnold, born between 1880 and 1890 in New York, listed as living in New York. By 1910, there are three. One (born in 1882) married John Arnold and one (born in 1887) was a Russian immigrant. By 1920, there were two Dorothy Arnold's-one (born in 1882) married Edward Arnold and one (born in 1887) was the Russian immigrant. The wife of John Arnold was listed as Dora. By 1930, there were two. One (born in 1882) was married to John and one was divorced. This could suggest she was the wife of Edward, as no record of these two have been found up to this point, but the five year birth difference, and the fact the census lists that their parents were born in different places makes them appear as different people. Another reason is the fact that Dorothy in 1930 lists her first marriage in 1914, and Edward was single in 1915, meaning she would have had to have married twice in six years-not impossible, but rather dubious. A 1915 New York State Census listing a similar Dorothy Arnold as a nursing student in Erie County is dubious, as in her stated hometown of Essex County there is Dorothy Arnold, ten years younger, so I assume it is just an age error. I believe if this was her it would confirm that she lived and that she was in hiding from her family, but it would not tell for sure why she disappeared or where she disappeared to. It is quite possible she disappeared to Europe for a few years. I highly doubt, if her first marriage was in 1914, that she disappeared to elope.
Anyway, for anyone who actually read through this whole thing, what do you think of this?
J. Nieters

I've been binge reading this thread all day and after reading all of the terrible things that could have happened to her (botched abortion...etc..) I am somewhat relieved to see a post that suggests that she did go on and live out her life.

If it was Dorothy alive and well in her hometown I wonder why nobody ever put two and two together? She came from an affluent family and became famous in her own right because of her disappearance. Someone would have at least noticed and wondered. But the romantic in me likes to believe that she got away from a judgemental controlling father and a half hearted boyfriend and had what I hope is a very happy, if not normal and quiet life.

I think Dorothy met a man who her family would not have approved of for some reason: social status lower than the Arnold family, different religion, different background, not as educated as Dorothy, whatever. She chose to go with him and the two of them went to a part of the U.S. where her New York social circle would have little interest in visiting/living. Her father referred to her writings as "drivel". IIRC, a New York businessman who had known Dorothy since childhood and knew her family very well, had travelled to Mobile, AL about 6 months to a year after her disappearance. While in Mobile, he saw Dorothy in a store, accompanied by a young man. According to the New York businessman, Dorothy seemed very happy. Dorothy spoke several languages fluently, including French. How easy it would have been for Dorothy to pass herself off as " Camille Boudreaux, newly arrived from France/Quebec/ New Orleans" and to settle along the Gulf Coast as a married woman using her husband's last name. Mobile between 1900 and 1920 was undergoing a boom, as the city had been awarded millions of dollars of federal government money to improve its harbor and deepen/dredge the shipping channels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Mobile,_Alabama

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back