NY NY - Ellery, Rte 17, WhtFem 30-37, UP15489 193UFNY, GSW, poss from Canada or Europe, note, clothes, Dec'83

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just as a note, our missing people records in Canada are not well organized. There's the RCMP's list from each city, smaller municipalities like VPD and their lists and then the missingcanada website. They try to get them all on the main site but I've found many people on smaller city police departments that aren't mentioned on the bigger sites. We have nothing like Namus unfortunately, but I think we have far less missing people.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Also the hotel she was at is on the route leaving or going to YVR, our airport. There are a ton of hotels along that strip for people either flying out or just recently arrived. That area isn't a place most people would just randomly stay, that portion of Marine Drive is very much traveler oriented. It's technically Vancouver, but pretty much Richmond.

I think she was either about to fly out or JUST arrived. There's a million hotels in Vancouver, this just isn't a place you'd go out of your way to stay at unless you had a reason to be near the airport.

Also the hotel she was at is on the route leaving or going to YVR, our airport. There are a ton of hotels along that strip for people either flying out or just recently arrived. That area isn't a place most people would just randomly stay, that portion of Marine Drive is very much traveler oriented. It's technically Vancouver, but pretty much Richmond.

I think she was either about to fly out or JUST arrived. There's a million hotels in Vancouver, this just isn't a place you'd go out of your way to stay at unless you had a reason to be near the airport.

Thanks that is very helpful information. Could the note she had have something to do with the YVR airport? They (we) still haven't figured that one out. A reporter said once that it could be internal phone numbers of JFK. He thinks she was traveling east (America) Have to think about your post and that for a while.

Just as a note, our missing people records in Canada are not well organized. There's the RCMP's list from each city, smaller municipalities like VPD and their lists and then the missingcanada website. They try to get them all on the main site but I've found many people on smaller city police departments that aren't mentioned on the bigger sites. We have nothing like Namus unfortunately, but I think we have far less missing people.

Thanks...I noticed... ;) Good to know, I can search on this site too now for Ellery Doe....as I said, somebody must miss her....

The more I think about the note, the more I think about phone numbers without the area code.
Phone numbers without the area codes are 5 digits, which does make sense.

And as the all-number area was implemented late in 1983, I think that the numbers are of such area.
Philadelphia had named exchanges in the Bell of Pennsylvania telephone book as late as 1983, long after AT&T had hoped to complete the conversion.
Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_exchange_names#All-number_calling
Yeah I know, Wikipedia...

Since LE thinks she was going from E to W, the format number makes sense, as Philadelphia was not converted in all-number dialing until as late as 1983 to the best of my knowledge.

So, we have to find out :
1) When NY was converted in all-number area
2) The areas where the 2L-5N was still used in 1983, in addition to Philadelphia.

Then, we'll be able to better narrow down the phone numbers.

Saskatchewan (Canada) seems impossible, as it was a all-number area code since the 1960's.

Bit of hope, are you up for finding about one of the 2 questions ? If yes, which one do you feel like searching ?

I searched for it in every possible way, but never came up with something logic or plausible....I don't even know they are phone numbers....

Ok, in this case, let come to the most logical hypothesis.

We know now that this formatting was still in use in some North American areas.

We also know that our JD was travelling E to W.
So, in such cases, phone numbers is the most logical possibility.

If we find in which areas such format was used in 1983, we can then go forward.
At worst, it'll be a dry lead.

But if we don't try, we have no other solution in our hands.

I am open to your ideas as well. But we can't presume "searching this won't work" because it closes the doors right off the bat.
It won't help ID our JD.

Humm, for this research, we need someone with an Ancestry full account. Unfortunately, I don't.

Maybe CarlK can help us

Fresh search again....don't be hard on me.....

Found this so far

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_American_Numbering_Plan_area_codes#United_States
Numbering plan area code 242 is of The Bahamas, Area code 242 is the local telephone area codeof The Bahamas. The 242 area code, or BHA, was created during a split from theoriginal 809 area code which began permissive dialing on 1October 1996 and ended 31 March 1997. Couldthis also be 742? Looks very much alike the last notation.
When in The Bahamas, only the seven-digit number isrequired for local calls, but to call the Bahamas from anywhere within theNorth American Numbering Plan (the United States, Canada, etc.), simply dial1-242 followed by the subscriber's phone number.
Numbering plan area code 683 is of Ontario
683: Ontario: (Northeastern Ontario and CentralOntario: Greater Sudbury, Sault Ste. Marie, North Bay, etc.)
Reserved as a third code to overlay 705/249 with noset date of implementation
Numbering plan area code 742 is of Ontario
742: Ontario (Niagara Falls Region, Hamilton, St.Catharines, suburbs of the Greater Toronto Area, and southeastern Ontario)
Reserved as a fourth code to overlay on 289/365/905with no set date of implementation[13]
International dialing code 683 is of Niue, located in Oceania nearcountries : Tonga, Samoa, Wallis and Futuna, Cook Islands, Tokelau and Fiji.
Still no founds of the 2 added numbers....

Could the words belonging to the numbers come from a native American or Canadian language?

Fresh search again....don't be hard on me.....

Found this so far

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_American_Numbering_Plan_area_codes#United_States
Numbering plan area code 242 is of The Bahamas, Area code 242 is the local telephone area codeof The Bahamas. The 242 area code, or BHA, was created during a split from theoriginal 809 area code which began permissive dialing on 1October 1996 and ended 31 March 1997.

Snipped for brevity.

The problem of your theory is that the first line "242" is not an area code. Otherwise, we would had a 7-digit number.
However, our phone number is a 5-digit one, without area code.
Ontario exchange number system was phased out in 1966, so, long before 1983. https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/re...e1109650/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&
And the note is dated "August 1983" bottom right.

And now, to complicate the issue, North American phone numbers are 10-digits numbers. As if it were not already complicated enough !!

But I think about calling the NANPA to get the bottom of it.
Because if we can answer the 2nd question, ie "what areas were in 2L-5N numbering system in 1983", it will help us finding which area these numbers are from. Otherwise, our research will be so wide we'd be lost in numbers !! :lol:

Could the words belonging to the numbers come from a native American or Canadian language?

Native American, I don't know how.

Canadian language are only English and French.
So, can it be French ? Why not, but it's a long shot.

Repost, rbbm.
Wondering about the inmate who claimed to be the killer and if he has since been questioned again.
http://nationalpost.com/news/canada...tationary-thats-mystified-police-for-33-years
She was found 33 years ago lying partially clad in a water-filled ditch along a New York State highway, just hours after she was shot four times at close range.

In the pocket of her high-quality trench coat was a mysterious note scribbled on a notepad from a Vancouver hotel — the rough-and-tumble Blue Boy on Southeast Marine Drive, which has since closed.
Jane Doe was found by a truck driver on Dec. 6, 1983, shot once inside the mouth, once in the back, and twice in the chest
Despite using the more advanced forensic testing available today, police were still unable to match Jane Doe to any missing persons’ reports or fingerprints in Canada, the U.S. or internationally
Since taking over, Holder has scanned Internet chat rooms for tips and re-watched a videotaped police interview done years ago with a convicted killer, serving a life sentence in an Oklahoma prison, who had boasted of killing Jane Doe.
She was in her 30s, white, 5-foot-3, with brown eyes and shoulder-length brown hair. She had a wart above her left eye, a large mole behind her left ear, a scar on her throat, and had expensive dental work with gold fillings. She had had at least one child, possibly 15 years before her death.
Her feet were bare, and no shoes or stocking were found at the scene
attachment.php

Attachments

• compisite-sketch-of-jane-doe-chautauqua-county-sheriff-imag.jpg
    compisite-sketch-of-jane-doe-chautauqua-county-sheriff-imag.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 84
Sorry, too late to edit my post... but wanted to add this note found on the UID as a reminder:

C0yNDYzUkAA6-W2.jpg

To me that handwriting looks typically German or Austrian. The 1 at the end of the third number, with that upwards stroke at the beginning, is characteristic of Germany, Austria and much of central Europe. When I was a kid I had penfriends in Germany and Austria and the handwriting in the note really brings back memories.

We currently have Polish neighbours and everyone adds their house number to their wheely bin to stop anyone else taking theirs. The Poles have painted their house number on with exactly that style of 1.

Can you decipher the words ? Popping my eyes out with deciphering

To me that handwriting looks typically German or Austrian. The 1 at the end of the third number, with that upwards stroke at the beginning, is characteristic of Germany, Austria and much of central Europe. When I was a kid I had penfriends in Germany and Austria and the handwriting in the note really brings back memories.

We currently have Polish neighbours and everyone adds their house number to their wheely bin to stop anyone else taking theirs. The Poles have painted their house number on with exactly that style of 1.

I'm sorry....but I don't see it...wish I could call in my type of writing the numbers.....

I just came across this picture from a phone book in the 50s. Far cry from the 80s but it looked so similar to the note. This is from when you had to contact the operator to make a call. Just had to leave it here.
1bff48166fde400ea286ff9ba4223028.jpg

That is how I learned to write numbers - I’m Swedish. The letters doesn’t feel so familiar, though.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk Pro

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah573x
Back