GUILTY NY - Eridania Rodriguez, 46, murdered in Manhattan skyscraper, 7 Jul 2009

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_...ho_vanished_tuesday_stuffed_in_air_duct_.html

(snips)
Cops found the decomposing body of a missing Manhattan cleaning woman Saturday - her head wrapped like a mummy in heavy-duty yellow and black construction tape, police sources said.
Eridania Rodriguez's hands and legs had also been bound with tape before she was shoved into an eye-level air-conditioning duct on the 12th floor of 2 Rector St., where she worked, sources said.

Her brother, Victor Martinez, 35, said this was supposed to have been his sister's last week on the job because she was scared to work in the building.
"She didn't want to work there anymore because of the unsafe working conditions," he said. "She just wanted to leave."
Martinez, a champion bodybuilder from the Dominican Republic, said an employee at the building recently exposed himself to his sister.
The perv was transferred, but she was still spooked.
"She said she was afraid of being there. She said she was afraid of being alone," he said.

Pabon, 26, cried when detectives asked him questions about the missing woman, sources said. He had visible scratches on his hands and arms, and couldn't explain why he left the building early Tuesday night, sources said.
Cops were outside Pabon's Staten Island home yesterday and pursued him when he drove away.
Pabon has prior arrests, including an April collar for allegedly punching and choking his girlfriend and smashing her windshield with a bowling ball.

I hope the cleaning company has good insurance because it appears she did everything within her own power to avoid this attack. She reported the incident and told them she was afraid. She should not have been working alone or they should have moved her to another position outside of that building.

One week was the difference between life and death for her. If only she had just followed her instincts and quit unless they provided her with better options of security. :( No job is worth your life.

My bet is on the guy with the scratches. Why haven't they gotten a probable cause warrant already for DNA testing on him?!

I would have to assume the tape was already there and they should be able to pull fingerprints off the roll, match it up to where it was cut or torn, and place this perp at the scene.

Ok, this is about the weirdest stuff I've heard in a long time. Doesn't look like sexual assault involved. Sadly she suffocated from having her head taped. Too many details in the below article to copy and paste. You really need to read all of it.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,531785,00.html

Police today revealed that a body believed to be that of a missing cleaning woman had been "hog-tied" and gagged with tape — with a gold crucifix dangling over her mouth — was found in the air duct of a building in lower Manhattan.
The woman's body, suspected to be that of Eridania Rodriguez, was fully clothed, except for her shoes, which had been placed neatly beside her, and a sock, which was found underneath her, said NYPD Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne.

More at link.

That poor woman!

I am wondering if she saw something she wasn't supposed to see. Maybe she walked in on something and was hit on the head, bound and gagged, and hidden out of the way, till whatever was happening was finished. I am assuming that she wore the crucifix and it got caught up in the tape. Maybe they didn't count on her dying.

For the first time, I am begining to doubt that Parbon did this.

Besides the architect who created the plan to redevelope the trade center site, what else is in this building? Anything major worth stealing?

http://www.newsday.com/services/newspaper/printedition/monday/news/ny-nybody1312964594jul12,0,6459137.story

While the body has not been positively identified at Rodriguez's, Borakove said she had "no reason to believe it's not her."

As a formality, the grieving family had yet to officially identify the body as Rodriguez's, NYPD chief spokesman Paul Browne said. Sources said lab technicians are trying to lift prints or hair fibers from the duct tape found on the body in hopes of narrowing the search for a suspect.

From that same article.....

"More than 100 officers and detectives stormed the building around 8 a.m. Saturday and, about 50 minutes later, a team found Rodriguez's body in the air-conditioning duct on the 12th floor, he said. The floor is undergoing renovation and the duct, which sits about two feet off the floor and measures about 3 feet tall by 20 feet wide, sits exposed, Browne said."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/13/nyregion/13missing.html?_r=1

As detectives continued the investigation into the killing of a 46-year-old woman whose body was discovered over the weekend at the Lower Manhattan office building where she worked as a cleaner, a stream of friends visited her Washington Heights apartment, where her family had gathered on Sunday to mourn.

The woman, Eridania Rodriguez — Iris to those who knew her well — was described by friends as a devoted mother of two daughters and a son.

Oh my what a horrible and preventable tragedy. My sympathy to the family members. May Eridania rest in peace. There is way too much of this type of crime occurring - if criminals were kept in jail they would not be out to reoffend.

It must have taken some time to tape her up, etc and then get her into the duct.

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- Investigators believe a pair of sneakers may be a clue to solving the murder of a Manhattan cleaning woman found stuffed in the air-conditioning duct of a downtown office building.

Police yesterday swarmed a Pontiac G6 belonging to the girlfriend of 26-year-old Joseph Pabon, a New Springville resident, after the two parked at the Safari Batting Cages on Richmond Avenue in Eltingville. Pabon, who lives on Galveston Loop, has been under NYPD surveillance for at least the past two days.

http://www.silive.com/news/advance/index.ssf?/base/news/1247486414279640.xml&coll=1

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2009/07/13/2009-07-13_cop_convoy_hot_on_his_tail_si_elevator_worker_under_microscope_in_slay_of_office.html

Police say Pabon can't explain the scratches on his hands, arms and neck - or why he left work early the night Rodriguez went missing.

His lawyer insists the scratches were minor gardening injuries.

Halfway through his day of leading cops around Staten Island, Pabon was asked if he's innocent of the murder. "Of course I am," he said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_...oscope_in_slay_of_office.html#ixzz0L95kMJNw&C

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07132009/news/regionalnews/manhattan/cleaning_woman_hogtied__suffocated_179028.htm

He had been working overtime the night she disappeared because the Department of Transportation was moving some offices out of the building, law-enforcement sources said.

But he suddenly told co-workers that he had to leave early. He later told cops that he needed to go to Richmond University Hospital on Staten Island, where he lives, to be treated for scratches on his arms, but they could find no record of him having been there.

This woman was found in a heating/AC vent in the building.

They have been covering this extensively on the local news. They are talking about it right now but not saying anything new - they showed the police holding surveillance outside of the suspects home. They interviewed the lawyer who said that it is just an unfortunate coincidence that he went home sick that day - I suppose it is also a coincidence he is covered in scratches.

The family is holding a memorial outside their Inwood apt on Wednesday.

What a horrible crime! The fact that she was just one week away from leaving the job, sensed danger and KNEW she was not safe- god it breaks my heart. Like SS said, let's hope they can lift prints from all that tape! RIP sweet lady.

Now I am swinging back to the 'he did it' side. If the tape was wrapped around both her nose and her mouth as has been reported in some articles, then her death was intentional. The evidence seems to be mounting against Parbon. Wish we had more info. But then I always do. :)

It is sad and scary. The saddest part about it for me is she did not feel safe but continued to go to work and dealt with her uncomfortable feelings so she could make money to support her family. Oh, she should have never taken that phone call and went up to the 8th floor alone. I am sure she felt uncomfortable and worried but went anyway out of a sense of responsibility.

Let this be a lesson to us all - we should always trust our instincts and what our gut is telling us. Eridania was doing just that she just ran out of time. Hindsight is 20/20 but I wish she would have just quit and not gone back if she was feeling that uncomfortable. It is amazing how we can be blinded by our sense of responsibility and duty. Her life was not worth clean offices for rich people to come to in the morning with their Starbucks coffee and Prada purses.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stahoe
Back