NY - Former President Donald Trump charged with 34 criminal counts of falsifying business records, Apr 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree...and I'm older than you. :)

I agree and I'm not young.

I'm just sitting here wondering how the gag order will affect this defendant. If he already has a press conference set for Tuesday at Mar-a-Lago, will he cancel it? Will he keep himself from using Twitter to talk about his legal situation?

And if he does not obey the gag order, what happens then? I don't mean "Will the judge issue a bench warrant?" because the judge likely will. My question is what then? Will Florida cooperate? Will DT turn himself over (again) in New York, this time likely facing a bit of jail time for contempt of court? I'm just befuddled by all these kinds of questions and what will happen next.

It's unprecedented. What if DT decides he's better off just staying in FL and not obey the NY Court? He won't be able to leave FL (assuming FL does not cooperate in arresting him).

Do we know who his lawyers are? Aren't they obligated to make sure their client obeys orders of the court?

IMO. Just when we thought we'd seen everything, there's always more with this personage.

I agree and I'm not young.

I'm just sitting here wondering how the gag order will affect this defendant. If he already has a press conference set for Tuesday at Mar-a-Lago, will he cancel it? Will he keep himself from using Twitter to talk about his legal situation?

And if he does not obey the gag order, what happens then? I don't mean "Will the judge issue a bench warrant?" because the judge likely will. My question is what then? Will Florida cooperate? Will DT turn himself over (again) in New York, this time likely facing a bit of jail time for contempt of court? I'm just befuddled by all these kinds of questions and what will happen next.

It's unprecedented. What if DT decides he's better off just staying in FL and not obey the NY Court? He won't be able to leave FL (assuming FL does not cooperate in arresting him).

Do we know who his lawyers are? Aren't they obligated to make sure their client obeys orders of the court?

IMO. Just when we thought we'd seen everything, there's always more with this personage.
My guesses:

He will not cancel his presser.
He doesn't use twitter (I think he's still on his own deal with Truth Social).
Florida will not extradite him.
DT *might* turn himself in, in a very public way.
His supporters will be infuriated & maybe do something really, really stupid.
He won't have their backs just like he didn't for the idiotic things folks did on 01.06.

jmo

It seems he has to wait in line like everybody else

The former president’s private jet, a Boeing 757 somewhat grandiosely nicknamed Trump Force One, has just taken off from Palm Beach international, after a couple of slight delays.

No longer in office, Trump’s loss of power was evident on both the trip from his Mar-a-Lago resort and on the taxiway.

His secret service motorcade was forced to stop at least once for a red light, something that would never happen to a sitting president; and then, approaching the runway, Trump’s jet was held up behind at least four other planes heading for various places.

As commander-in-chief, Trump’s pathway was cleared of all obstacles. As a former president, the first to be criminally charged, it seems he has to wait in line like everybody else.

His flight is expected to touch down in New York somewhere around 3pm ET.

My guesses:

He will not cancel his presser.
He doesn't use twitter (I think he's still on his own deal with Truth Social).
Florida will not extradite him.
DT *might* turn himself in, in a very public way.
His supporters will be infuriated & maybe do something really, really stupid.
He won't have their backs just like he didn't for the idiotic things folks did on 01.06.

jmo

Thank you. I do wonder if he's going to stay off Twitter. I think it's just a matter of time until he succumbs and uses it again.

I agree that FL will not extradite him, so in a sense, he can flout NY court orders, I suppose. And yeah, he won't have anyone's backs. Strange days indeed. It's really going to test our system and redefine some areas of states' rights, I suppose.

IMO.

Thank you. I do wonder if he's going to stay off Twitter. I think it's just a matter of time until he succumbs and uses it again.

I agree that FL will not extradite him, so in a sense, he can flout NY court orders, I suppose. And yeah, he won't have anyone's backs. Strange days indeed. It's really going to test our system and redefine some areas of states' rights, I suppose.

IMO.
He's stayed off twitter so far, so probably yes (but that's wishful thinking, lol). I think all his supporters joined TS anyway.

Kirby says he's in touch with authorities for indictment fallout

Megan Lebowitz
White House National Security Council spokesman John Kirby told reporters that the administration is monitoring indictment fallout and is in touch with state and local authorities.

"We’ll be prepared should there be a need," he told reporters Monday. "Hopefully there won’t be that need."

Kirby also emphasized that violence has no place in the country and there should be no need "for anybody to want to visit violence on fellow citizens around this or any other legal proceeding."

As of Sunday, neither law enforcement officials nor outside experts have picked up evidence that Mr. Trump’s defenders or detractors are gearing up for a major event on a day when a man elected to the nation’s highest office will be booked in Lower Manhattan.

The city’s police department, which has a sprawling, sophisticated intelligence operation that developed after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, has tracked isolated threats on social media, but it has yet to detect larger plans that might spur violence or mass disruption.

“The N.Y.P.D. continues to monitor all activity, but there are no credible threats to the city at this time,” Fabien Levy, the press secretary for Mayor Eric Adams, said in an email.

Justice Department officials believe part of the reason is that the prosecutions of Jan. 6 suspects has helped deter those most likely to instigate violence.

More than 1,000 people who entered the Capitol or breached its grounds on Jan. 6 have been already charged with crimes, and hundreds more remain under investigation. Moreover, some of the chief organizers of the pro-Trump rallies that preceded the attack were swept up in the Justice Department’s vast criminal inquiry, and some like Ali Alexander have said they have little interest in rallying on Mr. Trump’s behalf this time.

Thus far, Mr. Trump himself has not made any specific call to action for Tuesday. Doing so could be problematic for him: One of the possible crimes the Justice Department’s special counsel, Jack Smith, is investigating is Mr. Trump’s role in egging on protesters to disrupt congressional certification of President Biden’s victory.

While Mr. Trump encouraged protests last month to “TAKE OUR NATION BACK” in announcing that he expected to be arrested, he has yet to issue a demand comparable to his Dec. 19, 2020, post on Twitter explicitly summoning supporters to a rally in Washington on Jan. 6. “Be there, will be wild!” he said at the time.

I don’t think security would be an issue with any previous president in my long lifetime. Not only has there been no reason to indict any other President except Nixon, but I can’t imagine that any other former president (even Nixon) would call for demonstrations at his arraignment and use incendiary language about the DA. So yes, this situation highly unusual.
JMO

Profiting off of controversy, outrage and spectacle is brand Trump. (since the '80's)
So, it's not a perp-walk; it's a fundraiser.
Let's give Trump-the-master-marketer the credit deserved.
He's studied his customers; mirrors their outrage, earns their tru$t and $upport.
A splashy spectacle, free press, fundraising, wash, rinse, repeat.
JMO

@PaulaReidCNN

JUST IN: Trump team tells judge to deny media request to have cameras in court for historic arraignment, arguing it “will create a circus like atmosphere…raises unique security concern and is inconsistent with Trump’s presumption of innocence.”

Senior campaign aides are traveling with Trump to NYC

Garrett Haake and Summer Concepcion
Several senior Trump campaign aides are traveling with him to New York City today, an official confirmed to NBC News: Susie Wiles, Chris LaCivita, Jason Miller, Steven Cheung and head of operations Justin Caporale.

Wiles, LaCivita and Miller are the three top officials in the Trump campaign, which has a small formal staffing roster.

Trump posts to social from the sky

1680543994159.png
Reuters. Trump waves at his supporters at the airport in Florida before taking off

The former president is on a plane from Florida to New York, and is using the time to share a few short posts on his social media platform, Truth Social.

"AMERICA FIRST!" he wrote, a slogan from his 2016 presidential election campaign. He also reiterated the claim that the indictment was a witch hunt.

Al MOO -- I don't think there's anything with encouraging citizens to engage in protests. After all, protesting is an accepted and longstanding way for people to be able to voice their opinion en masse. JFK encouraged protests in support of Civil Rights, and LBJ prompted pro-Vietnam war protests. In hindsight, LBJ's might have been ill-advised. LOL

More recently, Obama encouraged protesting during the 2017 Women's March.

So, there's nothing wrong with protesting or encouraging protesting.

Encouraging violence is an entirely different matter. If Trump promotes violence, which I don't think he's done so far--correct me if I'm wrong--then that, in my opinion, crosses the line.

What do you think the focus of the protests would be? Are folks protesting the fact that T was indicted? Are they protesting the legal process? Or do you think it's something else, perhaps a general anger and fear that can't be quantified?

@PaulaReidCNN

JUST IN: Trump team tells judge to deny media request to have cameras in court for historic arraignment, arguing it “will create a circus like atmosphere…raises unique security concern and is inconsistent with Trump’s presumption of innocence.”

I'm not sure their client goes along with cutting down on his TV time.

@PaulaReidCNN

How is allowing cameras inconsistent with his presumption of innocence?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member