NY - Former President Donald Trump charged with 34 criminal counts of falsifying business records, Apr 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wholeheartedly agree with you. It is a sad day when our country's leaders publically attack the work that the legal system and everyday citizens (jurors) do. If they feel he is innocent, they should simply say to let the legal process run its course. Instead, they threaten investigations, encourage others to protest, have emotional breakdowns, and constantly offer their opposing opinion. It all comes off as an attempt to obstruct justice. Gone are days of respect for institutions and the right way of doing things. And that in itself is very scary.
This is hilarious as it appears immediately after another member of this group posted a long list of ongoing investigations into the former President. All being pursued by his opposing political party. This list doesn't even include the two impeachment attempts. Now, there's precedents. IMO I can see a number of investigations opening up on former and current high ranking government officials by District Attorneys across the country. Let the games begin.
Signed, an Independent Voter

The legal and political fallout of Trump's indictment
  • Amna Nawaz:
    Elie, as Geoff reported, the security preps in New York are beginning. We have heard some of the language from Mr. Trump and his supporters in the past.
    The idea of political violence in this case is not a hypothetical. We have seen what happens when some of his supporters have followed his instruction in the past. Can he be prevented from inciting violence in this case?
  • Elie Honig:
    So there is a way, at an extreme, where a judge can impose what we call a gag order, meaning issue an official court order prohibiting a participant in a trial from speaking. That is a very high bar legally.
    Now, any participant in the justice system has the right to criticize a judge or a prosecutor. It's not a great idea, but they do have that right. However, I believe there are lines here that already have been crossed in the way that Donald Trump has launched attacks, including racist attacks, including attacks not so subtly calling for violent resistance.
    And so I do think we could get to a point fairly quickly where the prosecutor needs to go to the judge and say: Judge, it's an extreme measure. We rarely do it. But we need a gag order in this case.
    We're not there yet, but it's something the prosecutor has to be thinking about.
Constant politically motivated attacks are appalling for anyone. IMO the opposing political party to this former President, has been "trying" this case in the media for years.

Furious Trump fans rage at DA for ex-president's upcoming arrest

Stephanie Lu, a social worker who moved to New York from China 20 years ago, further warned that 'this is a very critical moment for our country.'

'I came here legally 20 years ago and I see it going down hill because the liberals are infiltrated with communist ideas,' she said. 'It is so dangerous.

'Today they can indict a former president because they think they can control us. They collaborated together. It's a one-party rule, and they do what they want.'

Lu vowed to 'fight for all my life to defend my country,' noting: 'I came from a communist country for freedom and now everything is gone.

'We won’t allow people to abuse their power it’s very evil,' she said, claiming 'If they can do this to Trump, they can do this to you too.'

If the affair had never happened, there would be no proof. Trump would not have paid to silence Daniels. Paying her off and the other woman was incredibly dumb moves by his staff.
Where is there proof that "the affair" ever happened? Did Daniels happen to keep a dress like the victim did in the prior President's affair? Unfortunately for us, the "make it go away" "cut your losses" deals of financial compensation with an NDA is way more popular (for lack of a better word) than we all think. Affluent people are often targeted with extortion like claims, true or not. Some, including lawyers, view it as easy money. Sad days ahead for all of us in my opinion

Cohen says Trump directed him to arrange the Daniels payment.

Cohen also made recordings of a conversation in which he and Trump spoke about the arrangement to pay McDougal through the National Enquirer.

At one point in the recording, Cohen told Trump, “I need to open up a company for the transfer of all of that info regarding our friend, David,” a reference to David Pecker, who ran the Enquirer’s parent company at the time.

Cohen said he had already spoken with the Trump Organization’s longtime finance chief, Allen Weisselberg, on “how to set the whole thing up.”

Trump then said: “What do we got to pay for this? One-fifty?”

WHAT ABOUT THE STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS?

The hush-money payments and Cohen’s reimbursements happened more than six years ago. New York’s statute of limitations for most felonies is five years. For misdemeanors, it’s just two years.

Does that mean prosecutors have run out of time? Trump thinks so. In social media posts, he insists that the statute of limitations “long ago expired,” calling the matter “old news.”

But that’s not always how the law works. In New York, the clock can stop on the statute of limitations when a potential defendant is continuously outside the state. Trump visited New York rarely over the four years of his presidency and now lives mostly in Florida and New Jersey.

The story so far... in 100 words

Donald Trump
is due to appear in court later today after being indicted in New York last week.

A payment to ex-p-o-rn star Stormy Daniels is at the heart of the case.

Daniels says she had an affair with Trump in 2006, which he denies.

Trump's former lawyer, Michael Cohen, paid Daniels $130,000 (£100,000) to keep quiet before the 2016 US election.

The case likely revolves around how this was recorded. The payment may violate election finance laws.

Trump will be fingerprinted and brought before a judge.

The exact charges are not yet known but will be disclosed in court.

Did Daniels keep "the dress"? I have never seen proof of this affair. Just curious. Maybe its out there, I've just never seen it. One of my thoughts, as the Cohen information started to unravel, was that Daniels and Cohen were colluding In some type extortion scheme, as common as these type "throw some money at it" cases are.

This is hilarious as it appears immediately after another member of this group posted a long list of ongoing investigations into the former President. All being pursued by his opposing political party. This list doesn't even include the two impeachment attempts. Now, there's precedents. IMO I can see a number of investigations opening up on former and current high ranking government officials by District Attorneys across the country. Let the games begin.
Signed, an Independent Voter

Citation please. Where is the evidence, the news articles which substantiate this rather strong claim? (bolded by me)

From where I am sitting, appointed judges, elected officials, appointed civil servants, law enforcement, and grand juries of diverse political affiliations have ALL been involved with these various investigations at different stages. To claim it is only members of the opposing political party that are looking into, or pursuing criminal or civil investigations seems completely unsubstantiated to me and ignores the magnitude and breadth of these scandals across multiple states and jurisdictions.

I'm sorry but, to me, it doesn't seem that likely that hundreds of people in hundreds of official positions of varying levels of power and responsibility are supposedly all conspiring together to take down a single innocent political opponent - like some kind of hive mind.

Isn't it more likely that Individual-1 has simply committed/covered up so many crimes (both large and small), engaged in unethical actions and indiscretions over the years that they are finally coming back to bite him, his family and his various enterprises/organizations. His underlings and colleagues are being convicted around him. His charities and organizations found to be fraudulent. When are ppl going to accept that he's the nexus of all of this bad, criminal behavior?

JMO but I think that those who are looking to obstruct justice are stoking these 'partisan' claims for their own benefit. Follow the money. People should not be putting party ahead of the rule of law or the good of the country.

And for the record, I think rich and powerful people should always have be held the exact same standard of justice as ordinary citizens when it comes to criminal investigations and civil lawsuits. I don't care what party affiliation they claim. If there is probable cause and enough evidence to go to court, then that's what should happen. I would have supported Clinton's impeachment in the 90's. John Edward's got lucky with a mistrial, Nixon should have faced legal consequences. Reagan should have been on the hook for Iran Contra and so on.

If I'm picking a team, it's Team Justice. Team Truth. Let's hope it prevails and it's a fair process for all involved (including Trump, of course).

Prosecutors are still interested in Allen Weisselberg’s insider knowledge about the hush-money arrangements. The 75-year-old ex-CFO is due to be released from a five-month jail sentence on April 19. There’s no indication that he’s keen to cooperate against his former boss.

Cohen says Trump directed him to arrange the Daniels payment.

Cohen also made recordings of a conversation in which he and Trump spoke about the arrangement to pay McDougal through the National Enquirer.

At one point in the recording, Cohen told Trump, “I need to open up a company for the transfer of all of that info regarding our friend, David,” a reference to David Pecker, who ran the Enquirer’s parent company at the time.

Cohen said he had already spoken with the Trump Organization’s longtime finance chief, Allen Weisselberg, on “how to set the whole thing up.”

Trump then said: “What do we got to pay for this? One-fifty?”
From your post, I would also expect to be told of recordings Cohen had regarding Daniels. Has that been mentioned anywhere? I wonder....

Citation please. Where is the evidence, the news articles which substantiate this rather strong claim? (bolded by me)

From where I am sitting, appointed judges, elected officials, appointed civil servants, law enforcement, and grand juries of diverse political affiliations have ALL been involved with these various investigations at different stages. To claim it is only members of the opposing political party that are looking into, or pursuing criminal or civil investigations seems completely unsubstantiated to me and ignores the magnitude and breadth of these scandals across multiple states and jurisdictions.

I'm sorry but, to me, it doesn't seem that likely that hundreds of people in hundreds of official positions of varying levels of power and responsibility are supposedly all conspiring together to take down a single innocent political opponent - like some kind of hive mind.

Isn't it more likely that Individual-1 has simply committed/covered up so many crimes (both large and small), engaged in unethical actions and indiscretions over the years that they are finally coming back to bite him, his family and his various enterprises/organizations. His underlings and colleagues are being convicted around him. His charities and organizations found to be fraudulent. When are ppl going to accept that he's the nexus of all of this bad, criminal behavior?

JMO but I think that those who are looking to obstruct justice are stoking these 'partisan' claims for their own benefit. Follow the money. People should not be putting party ahead of the rule of law or the good of the country.

And for the record, I think rich and powerful people should always have be held the exact same standard of justice as ordinary citizens when it comes to criminal investigations and civil lawsuits. I don't care what party affiliation they claim. If there is probable cause and enough evidence to go to court, then that's what should happen. I would have supported Clinton's impeachment in the 90's. John Edward's got lucky with a mistrial, Nixon should have faced legal consequences. Reagan should have been on the hook for Iran Contra and so on.

If I'm picking a team, it's Team Justice. Team Truth. Let's hope it prevails and it's a fair process for all involved (including Trump, of course).
I agree with "follow the money". My opinion, sterling advice.

Did Daniels keep "the dress"? I have never seen proof of this affair. Just curious. Maybe its out there, I've just never seen it. One of my thoughts, as the Cohen information started to unravel, was that Daniels and Cohen were colluding In some type extortion scheme, as common as these type "throw some money at it" cases are.
Perhaps you are thinking of the E.Jean Carroll rape allegation against Trump? She reportedly HAS kept that dress/coat and claims there is Trump's DNA on it to prove it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/04/01/trump-e-jean-carroll-rape-lawsuit/

Judge rejects Trump DNA offer in E Jean Carroll rape defamation case

Edited to add: Made some technical corrections, due to some errors on my part.

Last edited:
From your post, I would also expect to be told of recordings Cohen had regarding Daniels. Has that been mentioned anywhere? I wonder....

Here is a timeline for the Trump/Daniels case:

Ms Daniels previously told reporters that she met Mr Trump at a charity golf tournament in July 2006. She alleged that the pair had sex at his hotel room at Lake Tahoe. He was 60 at the time and she was 27.

Mr Trump was already married to his wife, Melania Trump, at the time Ms Daniels alleges the affair happened.

In 2011, Ms Daniels agreed to an interview with In Touch magazine about the affair, and later said that she was approached by an unknown man soon after and told to “leave Trump alone”.

In a 2018 interview with Anderson Cooper, she claimed that during the 2011 incident (where her young daughter was present) that the same man told her: “That’s a beautiful little girl. It’d be a shame if something happened to her mom.”

In October 2016, days before Mr Trump was elected president, Ms Daniels said she was paid $130,000 by Mr Trump’s lawyer, Michael Cohen, to keep quiet about the alleged affair.

March 2018

In 2018, while Mr Trump was president, Ms Daniels gave an interview on 60 Minutes.

Shortly beforehand, a shell company linked to Trump’s lawyer Mr Cohen threatened her with a $20 million (£16m) lawsuit. It claimed that she had broken their non-disclosure deal.

August 2018

Mr Cohen pleaded guilty to tax evasion and breaking campaign finance rules.

He initially claimed that Mr Trump wasn’t involved in the payment, but later said that Mr Trump had directed him to pay Ms Daniels.

Mr Cohen also said that the then-president paid him back, with Mr Trump recording payments as “legal fees”.

Mr Trump wrote on social media that the money came from him, insisting the payments were not a campaign violation.

October 2018

Ms Daniels published a memoir, Full Disclosure, in which she wrote about her alleged affair with Mr Trump.

Perhaps you are thinking of the E.Jean Carroll rape allegation against Trump? She reportedly HAS kept that dress and claims there is semen on it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/04/01/trump-e-jean-carroll-rape-lawsuit/

Judge rejects Trump DNA offer in E Jean Carroll rape defamation case
No, I was thinking of the college intern case against the sitting President, at the time. Sorry if you were confused Zoriah. I need to look into the last line in your post, "Judge rejects Trump DNA offer.........". I click on it but it goes to nothing?

Here is a timeline for the Trump/Daniels case:

Ms Daniels previously told reporters that she met Mr Trump at a charity golf tournament in July 2006. She alleged that the pair had sex at his hotel room at Lake Tahoe. He was 60 at the time and she was 27.

Mr Trump was already married to his wife, Melania Trump, at the time Ms Daniels alleges the affair happened.

In 2011, Ms Daniels agreed to an interview with In Touch magazine about the affair, and later said that she was approached by an unknown man soon after and told to “leave Trump alone”.

In a 2018 interview with Anderson Cooper, she claimed that during the 2011 incident (where her young daughter was present) that the same man told her: “That’s a beautiful little girl. It’d be a shame if something happened to her mom.”

In October 2016, days before Mr Trump was elected president, Ms Daniels said she was paid $130,000 by Mr Trump’s lawyer, Michael Cohen, to keep quiet about the alleged affair.

March 2018

In 2018, while Mr Trump was president, Ms Daniels gave an interview on 60 Minutes.

Shortly beforehand, a shell company linked to Trump’s lawyer Mr Cohen threatened her with a $20 million (£16m) lawsuit. It claimed that she had broken their non-disclosure deal.

August 2018

Mr Cohen pleaded guilty to tax evasion and breaking campaign finance rules.

He initially claimed that Mr Trump wasn’t involved in the payment, but later said that Mr Trump had directed him to pay Ms Daniels.

Mr Cohen also said that the then-president paid him back, with Mr Trump recording payments as “legal fees”.

Mr Trump wrote on social media that the money came from him, insisting the payments were not a campaign violation.

October 2018

Ms Daniels published a memoir, Full Disclosure, in which she wrote about her alleged affair with Mr Trump.

So, does that mean no Cohen phone recordings concerning Daniels?

So, does that mean no Cohen phone recordings concerning Daniels?

Bbm

…But one cold, hard piece of evidence could still back Cohen up, argued former federal prosecutor Andrew Weissmann on MSNBC Friday: a tape recording of Trump talking to Cohen about the payments, during which Trump suggested they "pay with cash."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper