NY - Former President Donald Trump charged with 34 criminal counts of falsifying business records, Apr 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

[snip]

Trump’s decision to appear in person comes after weeks of negotiations between his team and the DA, with input from Secret Service, NYPD, and other agencies. (A Secret Service spokesman confirmed it has “been meeting with NYPD and state court officers for the last couple of weeks regarding safety and security concerns for the courthouse, areas around the courthouse, and the appearance of the former president.”) The end product is a day in court that will have some characteristics of a regular arraignment with an overlayer of the type of security a former president gets at all times.

Trump’s arraignment is scheduled for 2:30 p.m., but the law enforcement official said Trump is now expected to arrive at the courthouse around 11:30 a.m. When it is time for him to appear, other people whose bookings are being processed will be temporarily detained. The floor above and below the courtrooms will be secured. He is expected to plead not guilty, his lawyers have said. Trump’s legal team is pushing for cameras to be kept out of the courtroom, with one lawyer warning it would create a would “create a circus-like atmosphere,” ABC News reports.

Trump will be fingerprinted and processed, and he will have his mug shot taken in the booking office, a small office in the courthouse. He will not be handcuffed, according to the law enforcement official: “Secret Service said absolutely not, no cuffs, no way.”

Outside, there will be counter-snipers on rooftops. NYPD will be outside, with riot gear, bracing for protests to turn violent. Secret Service will have about 40 agents posted around the courthouse. Trump’s personal detail, known as “the shift,” will be inches away from him at all times.

“It will be a shitshow,” says the law enforcement official.

The Manhattan DA did not return requests for comment.

The source says that Trump’s mug shot will be anything but ordinary, owing to the Secret Service team surrounding him at all times. “We may have a group mugshot,” the official says. “I wish I was joking, I’m not.”

[snip]

My opinion, this is the beginning of endless legal troubles for this man.

Whatever happens tomorrow, whether regular court proceedings, dates set, etc., it’s all going to have to come to a head at some point.

All this has been in the works for a while, and the documents and charges I anticipate to be thick and substantial.

Some people want to spin this as politically motivated and about *advertiser censored* star scandals, but ultimately this is about illegal misuse of campaign funds, breaking the law, fraud, etc., which we will see outlined tomorrow (today) in detail.

There’s the Georgia legal stuff ahead, Classified documents at MAL, tax stuff, Jan 6th...this is the beginning of endless legal troubles, imo.
Endless legal troubles that he has no one to blame for but himself. This isn’t Stormy weather, this is a personal hurricane. And I’m glad I’m here for it, finally! IMO

"Mr. Bragg will hold a press conference Tuesday afternoon to discuss his indictment of Mr. Trump. The press conference will take place after Mr. Trump’s arraignment, but no other details were announced."

I notice that the DM and the NY Post are saying that DT will speak outside the courtroom both before and after his arraignment, but I have yet to find that information in a better source. The article I have linked still just says that DT will speak in FL later on Tuesday.

Donald Trump's lawyer thinks there's a benefit to the former President getting indicted in New York City ... she says it puts him on par with Tupac Shakur and Notorious B.I.G.

Trump's attorney, Alina Habba, drew the comparison on "The Benny Show" podcast, claiming the indictment is going to boost Trump's profile similar to other celebs who went to jail ... like Pac and Biggie.

Everything was in the works well before November 2022 when Trump announced he would run in 2024.

from: How Alvin Bragg Resurrected the Case Against Donald Trump

The two leaders of the investigation had recently resigned after the new district attorney, Alvin L. Bragg, decided not to charge Mr. Trump at that point. Amid a fierce backlash to his decision — and a brutal start to his tenure — Mr. Bragg insisted that the investigation was not over.

[...]

But by July, Mr. Bragg had decided to assign several additional prosecutors to pursue one particular strand that struck him as promising: a hush-money payment made on Mr. Trump’s behalf to a *advertiser censored* star during the final days of the 2016 presidential campaign.
I worded it poorly but what I meant was, folks believe this was intentional to hurt any chances he may have had at running, even before he announced it. I think most folks "in the know" knew long before he ever announced publicly anyway.

Do I believe that's what happened? Good gravy, it's 2023 American politics so yes, it's entirely believable.

I worded it poorly but what I meant was, folks believe this was intentional to hurt any chances he may have had at running, even before he announced it. I think most folks "in the know" knew long before he ever announced publicly anyway.

Do I believe that's what happened? Good gravy, it's 2023 American politics so yes, it's entirely believable.

In your opinion, when should they have attempted to charge him? Since we're dealing with a former president, they are going to cry politics no matter what or when this indictment was handed down. It appears that people want him to just be allowed to break laws and get away with it because he's a politician.

[...]

Reps. Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga., and George Santos, R-N.Y., are set to appear at a pro-Trump protest near the Manhattan courthouse where Trump will be arraigned on criminal charges.

Greene, whose past and current fringe views and penchant for courting controversy have not stopped her from rising to prominence in the GOP, is the top name in the protest organized by the New York Young Republican Club.

Santos, the embattled, under-investigation freshman lawmaker who has faced calls to resign from his fellow New York Republicans after admitting he lied about key details of his life on the campaign trail, is not slated to speak at the protest, NBC News reported.

The protest is set for 10:30 a.m. ET, less than four hours before Trump’s scheduled arraignment.

35m ago / 6:28 AM PDT

What happens after the arraignment?​

The People v. Donald Trump is only just beginning. After today’s arraignment, the legal process that unfolds could take months, if not much longer. Here’s what to expect next.

Discovery handed over to defense

Within 15 days of arraignment, the prosecution must turn over all the evidence that was gathered as part of the investigation (known as “discovery”) to the defense team. This includes the minutes from the grand jury process, the testimony from every witness (sometimes with redactions), law enforcement notes of anyone interviewed (even if they didn’t testify in front of the grand jury), every exhibit put in front of the grand jury to substantiate the charges in the indictment, and other records prosecutors obtained through subpoenas (think telephone records, tapes, things of that nature).

Motions, motions and more motions

Trump’s defense team has already said it will quickly file motions in court to get the case dismissed before it ever reaches a jury. Generally, the defense side has 45 days to make motions after arraignment, but the judge has the discretion to grant the defense more time.

Without the benefit of seeing the actual indictment right now, it’s hard to know exactly how Trump’s team will attack the charges, but Trump himself has already floated the idea of filing a motion to transfer the case out of Manhattan. Motions to transfer venue are rarely granted and the defense team would need to convince the judge that Trump cannot get a fair trial in the city due to pretrial publicity.

With the amount of national media attention this case has already generated — not only in New York — it’s going to be challenging to persuade Merchan to move the case elsewhere.

“No judge is going to seriously entertain it. There’s no basis to conclude he can’t receive the same fair trial in New York as he would in Mississippi,” said Robert Gottlieb, a former assistant district attorney in Manhattan who is now in private practice. “New York jurors consider themselves smarter than everyone else and they will analyze this case to death — red or blue.”

[...]

I w
Why is a phone recording concerning Daniels important? There is a money trail which leads back to DT.

In 2019, the NY Times got hold of copies of 6 of the 11 repayments. Weisselberg had suggested that Cohen submit an invoice monthly for the repayments. I would say that means there was every intention to put the repayments 'through the books', claiming them (fraudulently) as a business expense.

The first repayment checks were from the account called Donald J Trump - Revokable Trust Account. Weisselberg then suggested they switch accounts for the payments. The later checks were from the account called Donald J Trump. Addresses on both types of check are 725 5th Avenue, New York.

I would have thought that a savvy attorney such as Cohen, who took the time to record a conversation concerning the National Enquirer and Trump, which he likened to the Daniels case, and happened prior, would cause him to tape record his conversations regarding Daniels.

"Trump attorney Chris Kise says the former president is 'resilient, upbeat, and is determined as ever to fight off drivers of injustice.' He says he expects Trump to speak to cameras at the courthouse ahead of a larger speech tonight when he returns to Mar-a-Lago," Cayle Thompson, an anchor for The National Desk, wrote in a tweet.

In your opinion, when should they have attempted to charge him? Since we're dealing with a former president, they are going to cry politics no matter what or when this indictment was handed down. It appears that people want him to just be allowed to break laws and get away with it because he's a politician.
In my opinion, he's (cleaned up version: "not a good and decent human who has most likely committed numerous illegal acts, as well as having low morals and ethics in most all areas") who should be legally held accountable for all the creepy, rotten, sickening things he's done. (Apply as needed to all politicians, former and current, and build more jails while you're at it, we're gonna need 'em!) Sadly, he's also a former US president, tarnishing that high office. Sadly, he's not the first creep to do that and sadly wasn't the last either. Ahem. Sadly also, he's a Republican, which I would most closely align my own political position with. He doesn't represent me or most folks I know that are also Republicans, but he does have a creepy cult following, which also do not represent me or most Republicans I know.

So, that's my opinion. :) The whole thing is shameful and depressing.

Last edited:
You are alledging you thought of "collusion in some type of extortion scheme" in this post and that's a pretty serious allegation of a crime to be making; especially against two individuals who've actually undertaken sworn oaths and testified.

Anything factualy-based to back up 'why' your thoughts went that way? I mean, besides Q-Anon and Republican talking points. I'm really curious as to 'why' your thoughts would go that way.
<modsnip - quoted post was snipped> And I am not a republican. My thoughts came from my unfortunate past real life experiences regarding "throw some money at it" cases and NDAs. Sometimes there is truth in the claims and sometimes there is not. As I've mentioned previously here, things like this are far too common in our litigious society. I find it disturbing.

Last edited by a moderator:

On Dan Abrams Live, Rudy Giuliani contended Trump did nothing illegal and compared the former president’s case to former Democratic vice presidential candidate John Edwards, who similarly paid a woman to keep quiet about an affair they had.

Abrams wasn’t buying the comparison:

ABRAMS: The difference is John Edwards admitted he had the affair. Why does Donald Trump keep denying that he had these affairs? He obviously had affairs with Stormy Daniels and Karen McDougal!
GIULIANI: I don’t know that. You don’t–
ABRAMS: Oh come on! Do you actually have a doubt in your mind?
GIULIANI: You don’t know that.
ABRAMS: Oh come on. You really doubt that that happened?
GIULIANI: I don’t convict people of things that I can’t prove.
ABRAMS: He’s not convicted. It’s not a court of law. He’s not going to jail. I’m just saying it’s obvious that of course these things happen! That’s why they were getting paid for their stories.
GIULIANI: If he is not telling the truth about that, that’s not a crime.
ABRAMS: No, it’s not a crime. But it’s a weird defense.
GIULIANI: It’s not under oath. It’s not perjury.

This is hilarious as it appears immediately after another member of this group posted a long list of ongoing investigations into the former President. All being pursued by his opposing political party. This list doesn't even include the two impeachment attempts. Now, there's precedents. IMO I can see a number of investigations opening up on former and current high ranking government officials by District Attorneys across the country. Let the games begin.
Signed, an Independent Voter
Since he has allegedly, took part in so many illegal activities, multiple investigations are going on. Perhaps the opposing political party is the only one willing to hold Trump accountable for his crimes? It would be interesting if there is information proving that this opposing party focuses more on investigating people from one party over the other.
IMO

:p “Bring your pots and pans!” I love New York!! :p

Marjorie Taylor Greene Demands The Arrest Of NYC Counter Protesters For Making Noise​

MTG:
I’m here in NY to protest with my voice against the weaponization of the justice system on innocent President Trump, but the counter protestors are coming to commit assault that can cause audible damage to everyone’s ears including NYPD.
But Mayor Adams warns me by name!
If counter protestors are violating freedom of speech and committing assault, they should be arrested.

1680619452371.png

What's your point? That the government should ban protests that are not popular or ones that a group of people don't like?
Did I suggest any protests be banned?
I only pointed out the difference of grass roots protests by the people compared to a protest called by a powerful political figure to rise up for him personally.
I also expressed hope that the death and destruction coming to the US that he predicted if he is indicted does not materialize, in other words I hope we don’t have a repeat of what happened at our Capital the last time he called for his followers to “take back our country” from the deep state.

Did I suggest any protests be banned?
I only pointed out the difference of grass roots protests by the people compared to a protest called by a powerful political figure to rise up for him personally.
I also expressed hope that the death and destruction coming to the US that he predicted if he is indicted does not materialize, in other words I hope we don’t have a repeat of what happened at our Capital the last time he called for his followers to “take back our country” from the deep state.
Thanks. So you are against violent riots and not peaceful protests. I think everyone can agree with that. JMO.

My views in politics have always been that there are good, decent people in most political parties.

I don't consider myself rusted on to any particular party.

Here in Australia, voting is compulsory. I think of voting as not a duty, but a privilege to have some sort of say in who we want to represent us.
A government that we can be proud of, or also be disappointed in when we feel they've done an unfair thing.

Politicians I have admired have come from various parties, some I haven't voted for but can still admire ones that I feel are decent people.
I vote for the party which I believe will be the best for the people. One which demonstrates that they care about even the poorest and most disadvantaged.

I just don't see why politics should seem like it's a war and you have to choose your side.
I just don't get the hatred.

Can't we all just get along ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members