NY - Giraffe Watch: April, 15, due to give birth at Animal Adventure Park #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
April the giraffe in N.Y. has calf

Associated Press Published 10:14 a.m. ET April 15, 2017 | Updated 2 minutes ago

Harpursville, N.Y. — And baby makes glee.

Before an online audience of more than a million viewers, April the giraffe gave birth to a calf Saturday at a New York zoo, ending weeks of proverbial pacing by animal lovers in a virtual worldwide waiting room...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/nation/2017/04/15/april-giraffe-ny-calf/100498264/

I got in here @ 9:50 am EST. Just in time to see the birth! I had trouble waking up this morning. Must've gotten a text alert from Heaven waking me up. I look at the Youtube video first thing when I get up.

Had fallen asleep while on this thread last night/early this morning. Had slept all afternoon and evening after I got home from work ~3:00pm (missed dinner). I taken a muscle relaxant because I was in so much pain.

So glad I didn't miss the birth. Am very worried, though, about the calf having trouble standing. Wasn't that Dobby's problem when he was born?

Where is Labor of Lobe? There are so many who invested a lot of time and interest in April's calf-I hope they haven't missed it. BTW, they opened the door in Oliver's stall (to outside) and there was a beam of sunlight directly on the calf.

I haven't done much research yet on giraffes admittedly so can someone tell me does the father ever doing any rearing or babysitting or is he kept away by the mother?

In the wild at least, the answer is no, the father has little to nothing to do with rearing the baby. Not sure how captivity works, but I'm guessing Oliver won't be involved with baby.

Although giraffes are social animals, they don't form lasting relationships with partners or family members. That means the young ones will only stay with Mom -- Dad doesn't stick around -- as long as necessary to learn surviving skills. Weaning can take as long as 16 months, with females staying with their mothers longer than males. Once the young become part of a group, all females become "nannies," watching over them when moms step away to feed or drink.
http://animals.mom.me/giraffes-young-2592.html

I got in here @ 9:50 am EST. Just in time to see the birth! I had trouble waking up this morning. Must've gotten a text alert from Heaven waking me up. I look at the Youtube video first thing when I get up.

Had fallen asleep while on this thread last night/early this morning. Had slept all afternoon and evening after I got home from work ~3:00pm (missed dinner). I taken a muscle relaxant because I was in so much pain.

So glad I didn't miss the birth. Am very worried, though, about the calf having trouble standing. Wasn't that Dobby's problem when he was born?

Where is Labor of Lobe? There are so many who invested a lot of time and interest in April's calf-I hope they haven't missed it. BTW, they opened the door in Oliver's stall (to outside) and there was a beam of sunlight directly on the calf.

Me too and several of last night "knew" so it was a very late night. I do not really do fate, but when i went ot her and there was one hoof my first thought was my god something did not want me tomiss it!

Me too and several of last night "knew" so it was a very late night. I do not really do fate, but when i went ot her and there was one hoof my first thought was my god something did not want me tomiss it!

moo the trouble standing is normal they did help by not putting down the hay

I'm so glad mum and baby are safe and well. Isn't nature amazing?. We need more happy news like this here.

Look at those markings..I am having the time of my life.."my" first giraffe baby..

-Nin

FB video of baby taking a tumble aww
[video]https://www.facebook.com/AnimalAdventurePark/videos/959191487517064/[/video]

She was such a prefect mama did everything textbook - we all do know the textbook!

I know they should not go in but the hole where the water broke could make him her fall

I just went back and watched when she first started having the calf. Her position to the camera was perfect to see the first hoof poke out. Thanks for not backing yourself into a corner April!

do any of you know how to tweet them about the hole?

WOnder what everything smells like

So happy the baby giraffe was born healthy and without incident! Yay April!

And thanks to everyone who kept me company watching the cam, posting pictures and funny jokes, it's been really fun watching this thread. :loveyou:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southshore16
Back