NY - Giraffe Watch: April, 15, due to give birth at Animal Adventure Park

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
mooo. I live for the time that Adventure Parks( making money off animals), Zoos and the Circus, are banished

from our lives. This is sick and wrong on so many levels, that poor animal belongs in the wild and I don't want

to hear about how it is helping conservation or understanding of the animal. Someone is making money of this.

I agree mother nature enough the poor gal has been in this mode long enough

is there food down there what is she doing
While ago she was lying down with her head against the door. Now she's up and walking around a bit. Her neck is stretched forward so I can't see her head now. But, it appears she can't get comfy. Maybe she is getting a midnight snack.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I don't have a full view of April or what she's doing, I try moving the "page" around with my mouse, like you'd do with a Google map. Lol. :doh:

While ago she was lying down with her head against the door. Now she's up and walking around a bit. Her neck is stretched forward so I can't see her head now. But, it appears she can't get comfy. Maybe she is getting a midnight snack.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I don't have a full view of April or what she's doing, I try moving the "page" around with my mouse, like you'd do with a Google map. Lol. :doh:

That is funny my dear!!

mooo. I live for the time that Adventure Parks( making money off animals), Zoos and the Circus, are banished

from our lives. This is sick and wrong on so many levels, that poor animal belongs in the wild and I don't want

to hear about how it is helping conservation or understanding of the animal. Someone is making money of this.

They are a total for profit---------------------

Does it seem like she is moving slower tonight?

what is in that corner?

http://fox8.com/2017/03/10/waiting-...ner-answers-questions-about-pregnant-giraffe/

per him:

According to him she has NEVER been in labor thus far. It was a media blow up started that .

The male could care less about her pregnant

In the wild they are playboys nail it forget no child support !

Dead beat dads he said!

she has very thick skin ultra sound they cant do

They have to send the calf elsewhere cause otherwise it would be like cousins have sex later-- mess up the gene pool!

Really the only thing that might be problem is if the neck is not right

What is wrong with his child?

I used to be supportive of zoos and thought it would be awesome to work at one, but what happened to Harambe at the Cincinnati Zoo changed my perspective. The animals should be free to live and die in their natural habitat. I've seen articles and videos of the terrible abuse animals in Africa sustain at the hands of poachers. There is a video upthread about a conservation group in Africa re-locating a herd of giraffes by truck to an area where they were hidden from poachers, yet could continue to live as a group in their natural habitat. There are also parks in Africa where animals, like Gorillas and lions, are protected. I think it makes so much more sense to protect endangered animals in their natural habitat. Most animals, giraffes included, are social animals. It looks so unnatural for April to be walking around staring at the walls. And it's sad her calves are taken away from her after they're born.

original_554cb6c669dee.jpg

DVHtPOhlJVLPxvb-1600x900-noPad.jpg

255059-1486971763-wide.jpg

KUAKMQBRLWpbXhT-800x450-noPad.jpg

[video=youtube;NM4rwaqLIZg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM4rwaqLIZg[/video]

Laying down

Go to 5:22 Miss April is very graceful!

Ahhhhhhh take a load off..........

5 minutes later.......................

How the hell am I gonna get the load back on?

[video=youtube;6QhHW7Ol3Bc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QhHW7Ol3Bc[/video]

Was curious if that was a really bad belly flop?

Look at that -- same as non pregnant!!

[video=youtube;utztX1topEQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utztX1topEQ[/video]

I'm really worried about our April & too bad I'm in Carolina cause I want answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do any of you have an actual video where you can truly see kicking in the belly? I have yet to see it? TIA

mooo. I live for the time that Adventure Parks( making money off animals), Zoos and the Circus, are banished from our lives. This is sick and wrong on so many levels, that poor animal belongs in the wild and I don't want to hear about how it is helping conservation or understanding of the animal. Someone is making money of this.

OT:
I am ecstatic about the recent win for the elephants!! Long time coming...

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-ringling-bros-closing-20170114-story.html

I hear you loud and clear, Delaney. I can't go to zoos. I get too depressed because I feel so bad for all of the animals. Donating funds to groups who work to make a difference is a great way to bring about changes to that end.

There is the Born Free Primate Sanctuary outside of San Antonio.
http://www.bornfreeusa.org/sanctuary/

Austin Zoo is all rescue-driven. That zoo I support whole-heartedly. It's the only zoo I can visit.
http://austinzoo.org

They are not all nefarious. [emoji173]

I'm watching right now and there's a couple guys in the stall checking out April's rear area.. gesturing and looking quite a bit. Her tail is up, and looks like bulging under her tail. This is the first time watching that I think something may be happening... Here's hoping!

Now one guy is making a cell phone call from the stall... Come on April!

I just got totally excited thinking a hoof was coming out and nope..... just poop. LOL That gets me every time.

Maybe if I go grocery shopping right now I'll make it home to see if she's actually having her baby. :)

O/T here also, but I volunteered about 1,000 hours at our zoo when I was a teen. It was a really amazing experience, I learned a lot and have some fond memories. There were very few restrictions on what we could and couldn't do at the time. A few of my favorites are having the back of my shirt munched by a guanaco, falling into the monkey moat when I was cleaning it, and feeding the sea lions. IIRC, 4pm was feeding time and I would take the bucket of fish out, the zoo would announce it, and people would flock to their enclosure to watch. I had a fish bone embed itself in my finger once and to this day I still have a scar from where it was removed, and tingling when I hit it wrong. There was a baby spider monkey who "knew" me and I could call him from any side of their enclosure, he would come running with his arms up. I loved that little guy.

I can say with certainty that the animals were very loved and well cared for, but their enclosures were all too small. In the last 15 years or so, our zoo has expanded to probably double the size of what it was when I was there. However, I have read some sad stories lately and I will not be going back.

Back to our ginormous mama, April. This story has reached far and wide and I believe that a lot of children (and adults) are interested in giraffes where they were not before. If that brings attention to conservation and such, that is a positive. I have found it heartwarming to read SO many comments from others who care for the elderly, and how beneficial it has been for them to watch her. Same thing I said early on about my GMA. Is it selfish of me to feel happy watching April, or when my GMA calls to see if "we have a baby yet" when I'm not with her? Perhaps. Yes, perhaps it is, I'm torn on how I feel but we are still going to enjoy baby watch...

All JMO, MOO, IMO, etc.

No that is not selfish imo enjoy!

O/T here also, but I volunteered about 1,000 hours at our zoo when I was a teen. It was a really amazing experience, I learned a lot and have some fond memories. There were very few restrictions on what we could and couldn't do at the time. A few of my favorites are having the back of my shirt munched by a guanaco, falling into the monkey moat when I was cleaning it, and feeding the sea lions. IIRC, 4pm was feeding time and I would take the bucket of fish out, the zoo would announce it, and people would flock to their enclosure to watch. I had a fish bone embed itself in my finger once and to this day I still have a scar from where it was removed, and tingling when I hit it wrong. There was a baby spider monkey who "knew" me and I could call him from any side of their enclosure, he would come running with his arms up. I loved that little guy.

I can say with certainty that the animals were very loved and well cared for, but their enclosures were all too small. In the last 15 years or so, our zoo has expanded to probably double the size of what it was when I was there. However, I have read some sad stories lately and I will not be going back.

Back to our ginormous mama, April. This story has reached far and wide and I believe that a lot of children (and adults) are interested in giraffes where they were not before. If that brings attention to conservation and such, that is a positive. I have found it heartwarming to read SO many comments from others who care for the elderly, and how beneficial it has been for them to watch her. Same thing I said early on about my GMA. Is it selfish of me to feel happy watching April, or when my GMA calls to see if "we have a baby yet" when I'm not with her? Perhaps. Yes, perhaps it is, I'm torn on how I feel but we are still going to enjoy baby watch...

All JMO, MOO, IMO, etc.

I'm really worried about our April & too bad I'm in Carolina cause I want answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is a little unusual IMO, is they have said they saw mating behaviors in Oct, but then don't say they ever saw it (later).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Onus