NY - Giraffe Watch: April, 15, due to give birth at Animal Adventure Park

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hubba Bubba, BubbaLicious, Now & Laters & Starburst. Ahh, takes my back to grade school. We could get all that at the school store. My favorites were Ludens Cherry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good and Plenty!!

It seems like she lays down in almost the exact spot every night. Hope she goes in to labor tonight.

I check in from time to time on the video, but honestly, it breaks my heart to see these beautiful animals locked up in captivity. It must be torture being locked in a 20'x20' cell. Even if it's 30x30, it's just cruel.

I do want to see the birth. But watching is stressful watching them pacing and being so bored. "Enrichment"? Sorry, I'm not buying it. It's just propaganda to placate the thousands of emails they're getting. Then they whine about getting so many emails. Hey, if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. How much have they made from donations and sponsors? I see that ToysRUs now has their logo on the video stream.

And how "overdue" is she from their original estimated due date? How closely do they monitor their animals to be so off?

Ever since I saw "Blackfish" my entire attitude about zoos has changed. I love the idea of sanctuaries for rescued animals. But I can't stand that these two beautiful creatures are locked up in boxes in upstate NY. :mad: :mad:

I am with you- I cant watch her for long either. I like the comments, but we can say what we want - they are meant to be in the wild. There not domesticated like our little precious ones!!

Our barrel-bellied beauty seemed to go down for a snooze easier tonight than usual, at least I didn't see her do the hokey pokey as long. After I read the update above, I sat here and stared intently, wanting to see *something*. She was doing the neck down, tail up, pushing looking motion. The calf was either moving rhythmically or...can you even see contractions in a giraffe? Now she's down and I hope she can get some rest!

This is going to be a beautimus baby! I'm kind of hoping it's a girl, wouldn't she and Dobby in CO be cute together? You know...in giraffe soap opera land? ;)

Ah! Speaking of Dobby, he's doing great! Yay!

http://kdvr.com/2017/03/23/denvers-baby-giraffe-dobby-has-grown-5-inches-in-3-weeks/

The Denver Zoo’s baby giraffe had grown at least five inches since he was born three weeks ago. Officials said Dobby has also gained more than 30 pounds.

dobby-debut-2.jpg

Dang. Mama is up already...

I am with you- I cant watch her for long either. I like the comments, but we can say what we want - they are meant to be in the wild. There not domesticated like our little precious ones!!

I agree and think most people would love to see them living in the wild, but without zoo's keeping some for breeding, we may loose this beautiful animal. It's a crying shame if you ask me! Why isn't there more done in their native countries to save them and other animals in danger? I'll never understand. IMO zoo's are kind of in a "damned if you do and damned if you don't" situation.

Giraffes Silently Slip Onto the Endangered Species List

Years of habitat destruction and poaching have reduced giraffe numbers by 30 percent, placing them in the vulnerable category for the first time

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...d-species-list-180961372/#m99m1IHg19jO7b4k.99

So...... who is watching tonight? Staying with Mom tonight. Not sure if she'll get up and scold me to bed soon, or she'll stay asleep. She's going through chemo and so weak. Cancer is cruel!

Was watching April earlier, and things were interesting....lots of belly movements...and swaying, then she decides to take a nap. Of course if I could nap while she does, I might make it through this...

Come on baby! I needs to meet ya!!!

Speaking of enrichment.... my husband LOVES to play with the laser light and the cats and dogs. Earlier today he was playing with them, and purposefully put that darn light on me! Now I have 3 kittens that are around 6 months old. Two tried to claw the crap out of me to get the light. Stinkers.

I wonder what enrichment tools they have for me? Seems life must be boring considering all the time I spend on here and watching a giraffe.

So...... who is watching tonight? Staying with Mom tonight. Not sure if she'll get up and scold me to bed soon, or she'll stay asleep. She's going through chemo and so weak. Cancer is cruel!

Was watching April earlier, and things were interesting....lots of belly movements...and swaying, then she decides to take a nap. Of course if I could nap while she does, I might make it through this...

I'm up at the moment but not sure for how long. Wearing out but also keeping up with the AA in CA right now. So sorry about your mom 2Hope4, I'm glad she has you! Cancer is awful beyond words. My GMA was diagnosed with breast cancer last year at 92, first occurrence. Due to her age/health, the only treatment available was a lumpectomy. So far, so good, but it kind of feels like a horrific waiting game when I let myself think about it. Best wishes to you and your mom. :heartbeat:

I'm here for now. April laying down again. Mom's dog isn't letting me go to sleep, keeps waking me up. He's laying on my legs now. Silly shitzu rules the house.

Mom's is breast cancer as well. She's taking 4 types of chemo every 3 weeks. This last cycle has been rough for her. No energy appetite, strength, and no hair left. She was diagnosed in Jan. My father died in June of last year. It just seems neverending.

Our barrel-bellied beauty seemed to go down for a snooze easier tonight than usual, at least I didn't see her do the hokey pokey as long. After I read the update above, I sat here and stared intently, wanting to see *something*. She was doing the neck down, tail up, pushing looking motion. The calf was either moving rhythmically or...can you even see contractions in a giraffe? Now she's down and I hope she can get some rest!

This is going to be a beautimus baby! I'm kind of hoping it's a girl, wouldn't she and Dobby in CO be cute together? You know...in giraffe soap opera land? ;)

Ah! Speaking of Dobby, he's doing great! Yay!

http://kdvr.com/2017/03/23/denvers-baby-giraffe-dobby-has-grown-5-inches-in-3-weeks/

The Denver Zoo’s baby giraffe had grown at least five inches since he was born three weeks ago. Officials said Dobby has also gained more than 30 pounds.

dobby-debut-2.jpg

Dang. Mama is up already...

Dobby is adorable!

2Hope4, I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom. Cancer is absolutely cruel! Chemo can be so hard. Prayers for you Mom.

I'm still up. I had surgery on my broken foot today and it's hurts. That and the amber alert for the two babies abducted in a stolen car in Cathedral City, CA. I just can't sleep. I came here to see April's pretty face!

Dobby is adorable! And a miracle as well!! I wanna kiss his nose.

I decided I don't want to kiss April though. I watched her put that tongue in her NOSE! Nope, no kisses. I know where that tongues been now!

6 am EST and all is well with April.. no baby yet! Since I was awake anyway, I decided to get wood in, wash dishes, and have coffee. Of course since I decided I wasn't getting sleep...Mom's dog has been sound asleep.

OUCH on that broken foot surgery!!! That's no fun at all. Prayers for quick healing.

Those precious babies in that stolen car is scary. I pray they are going to be OK!

Random thought: Do giraffes know you shouldn't lock your legs or you might pass out? Poor April sure locks her....

Dobby is adorable! And a miracle as well!! I wanna kiss his nose.

I decided I don't want to kiss April though. I watched her put that tongue in her NOSE! Nope, no kisses. I know where that tongues been now!

6 am EST and all is well with April.. no baby yet! Since I was awake anyway, I decided to get wood in, wash dishes, and have coffee. Of course since I decided I wasn't getting sleep...Mom's dog has been sound asleep.

OUCH on that broken foot surgery!!! That's no fun at all. Prayers for quick healing.

Those precious babies in that stolen car is scary. I pray they are going to be OK!

Random thought: Do giraffes know you shouldn't lock your legs or you might pass out? Poor April sure locks her....

Babies located safe in CA!! Thanks for the well wishes on my foot 2Hope4! It's been a rather long road but I hope after the surgery things will now improve. The stinker just didn't want to heal!

Hahaha on April locking her knees! I'm surprised those teeny tiny legs can still hold her up! I think it's time for a baby!!

:tantrum:Day 35 for me and still no baby!!.

April is cracking me up. I don't think she likes Oliver eating her food.

April2.PNG

April is cracking me up. I don't think she like Oliver eating her food.

attachment.php

I saw that, Pink. Did you see April tossing food over Ollie? LOL

I believe the affection she is showing Ollie may be marking. Cat's mark everything from walls to people to floors.

When a cat rubs up against you, it's not because they love you per se, but because they are marking you. They have scent glands in couple
places on their face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members