NY - Giraffe Watch: April, 15, due to give birth at Animal Adventure Park

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
April currently lying down, I don't know how she even gets up anymore! She seems to be relaxed.

What are the enrichment toys and where are they? When people mentioned them yesterday, I thought they were for us, to keep us busy while waiting for April to give birth. :blushing:

This video on rabbit enrichment ideas gave me some ideas that could be adapted for giraffes.

[video=youtube;hx-Rw3SkdbQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx-Rw3SkdbQ[/video]

1. A wooden sandbox that they can stand in
2. Young acacia trees around the periphery of the pens
3. Preserved tree branches hanging from ceiling; suet feeders filled with acacia leaves hanging from the branches.
4. Gridded ceiling with hanging, edible plants cascading down

JMO

Two funny things about those enrichment toys.... first it was said there would be new toys, thanks to the donations....yet the "food puzzle" was a Lowe's 5 gallon bucket with holes cut out of it. Didn't last long the first or second day....

Yet the door, that was left unlatched after someone removed the blue bucket.....that was a fun thing they liked. And I noticed April sticking her tongue through the wire at the shared hay feeder instead of her head over it as usual. She invented her own toy.

And since I've had the feed on all night, and haven't slept, I'm going to bed! That calf will be here while I sleep! :pillowfight2::bedtime:

Remember Big League chewing gum? Looks like April constantly has a wad of it.

Maybe Hubba Bubba would put her on their gum...Do they still make it? Zebras have a gum! So giraffes need one too! :eat: :gum:

Maybe Hubba Bubba would put her on their gum...Do they still make it? Zebras have a gum! So giraffes need one too! :eat: :gum:

They do still make Hubba Bubba! That's a great idea. Watching her last night she doesn't seem as agitated as before.....I haven't seen any of the updates this week though.....

Craving some grape hubba. [emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omg. I'm so glad I'm not alone in watching April's live feed!

311f020fd43d4feeb4322f0f7e62304d.jpg

Hubba Bubba, BubbaLicious, Now & Laters & Starburst. Ahh, takes my back to grade school. We could get all that at the school store. My favorites were Ludens Cherry.

Hubba Bubba, BubbaLicious, Now & Laters & Starburst. Ahh, takes my back to grade school. We could get all that at the school store. My favorites were Ludens Cherry.

I bought some tropical starburst when I walked my dog last night. No shame ate the whole pack on that walk. Yummers.

I often wonder if our dear April and Oliver will ever get hitched. I believe Ollie loves April being older but I have a fear he will leave her and or be very unfaithful in the future, if and when they ever get new females.

He needs to get her an engagement ring on a chain so they can make this official.

I don't think April is faking just to nab her man even though he is a massive hottie.

Oliver is the Giraffe equivalent to Tom (OMG, he turns me into a hot mess) Hardy, and April is the Princess Di of the animal kingdom.
JMHO

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] the dogs eyes crack me up.

If the dog already had the cone on from the vet, I'll be alright with this.
It reminded me of the enrichment for rabbits video. My poor dog has a cone on his neck... How can I enrich his life?

Sent from my LG-H740 using Tapatalk

April currently lying down, I don't know how she even gets up anymore! She seems to be relaxed.
Last night I watched April lie down and it looked so painful! I thought she'd ditch the idea before she was completely on the floor. I don't know how in the world she gets back up.

3/23 Evening Update

April has many thinking tonight is the night, as chat rooms and social media postings question her behavior and positioning. We will wait to see what the night brings. Both Keepers and Vet report further back end swell, no change in discharge or lactation.
Temperatures are starting to rise, snow is almost gone - outside yard time will soon return!
We leave you with a photo from Oliver's First summer with us, while still a bachelor... Jordan and he had a great bond during this transition period (before maturity), and we believe that's evident in this photo - taken during Critter Camp: Giraffes Giraffes Giraffes while addressing the kids. "I'VE GOT YOUR BACK"

17498620_937554973014049_6664354768027289383_n.jpg

Oliver is such a handsome fellow! As to the first sentence, what am I missing?? Every time I've peeked in on April today I've seen a whole lot of nothin' going on, or maybe I've just jumped at too many "false starts". LOL

From this morning's update:

We're excited to announce that we’ve team up with Toys ‘R Us!
Both Animal Adventure Park and Toys 'R Us have the common goal of bringing awareness to the plight of the giraffe as well as the need to create a sustainable future for them. Made possible in part by their sponsorship, Animal Adventure Park will be donating $25,000 to the Giraffe Conservation Foundation (GCF)!

BBM - good for them! :loveyou:

3/23 Evening Update

April has many thinking tonight is the night, as chat rooms and social media postings question her behavior and positioning. We will wait to see what the night brings. Both Keepers and Vet report further back end swell, no change in discharge or lactation.
Temperatures are starting to rise, snow is almost gone - outside yard time will soon return!
We leave you with a photo from Oliver's First summer with us, while still a bachelor... Jordan and he had a great bond during this transition period (before maturity), and we believe that's evident in this photo - taken during Critter Camp: Giraffes Giraffes Giraffes while addressing the kids. "I'VE GOT YOUR BACK"

17498620_937554973014049_6664354768027289383_n.jpg

Oliver is such a handsome fellow! As to the first sentence, what am I missing?? Every time I've peeked in on April today I've seen a whole lot of nothin' going on, or maybe I've just jumped at too many "false starts". LOL

From this morning's update:

We're excited to announce that we’ve team up with Toys ‘R Us!
Both Animal Adventure Park and Toys 'R Us have the common goal of bringing awareness to the plight of the giraffe as well as the need to create a sustainable future for them. Made possible in part by their sponsorship, Animal Adventure Park will be donating $25,000 to the Giraffe Conservation Foundation (GCF)!

BBM - good for them! :loveyou:

Thank You. Thank You. Thank You, for this article and the fantastic picture, LaborOfLobe! :dance:

The baby is going to be the prettiest, most handsome and beautimus calf ever born. :heartbeat:

I hope he or she has Olivers eyes/eyelashes, but most of all, a healthy calf and a safe delivery for both mum and baby.
Let's get this road on the show, April. :skip:

You can toss some treats in the cone I guess. Lol

What happened to your baby>

My Cari had one, I took it off . It was amazing how they learn to navigate their space. She kept crashing into doorways - but it wasn't like head on - it was she knew how to turn corners her way with space embedded in her mind if that makes sense,

Broke my heart , she was fine without it .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
australianwebsleuth