NY - Giraffe Watch: April, 15, due to give birth at Animal Adventure Park

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so I heard last week that AAP has known all along the dates that April may give birth. The dates were between 3/24 and 3/29.

It could be. I looked up video of April's last pregnancy and it was obvious she was much larger at the time of birth than she was when I started watching this pregnancy. I am not too upset though because I do believe they will use any money made for the betterment of the zoo. And, this thread has provided much needed entertainment and laughs.

Where did you find video of Aprils last
pregnancy. Can you share?

Where did you find video of Aprils last
pregnancy. Can you share?

I am wondering if, in my memory, I combined the knowledge of April previously giving birth with another video I watched on the 1st page of this thread because I am not finding it! Ugh!

I am wondering if, in my memory, I combined the knowledge of April previously giving birth with another video I watched on the 1st page of this thread because I am not finding it! Ugh!

I saw YouTube vid's of "Katie" the giraffe. Maybe it was her? lol

Okay, so I heard last week that AAP has known all along the dates that April may give birth. The dates were between 3/24 and 3/29.

there have been a lot of people attacking/harassing them and spreading rumors, so i wouldnt give it too much credit unless you heard it from someone that works there.

there have been a lot of people attacking/harassing them and spreading rumors, so i wouldnt give it too much credit unless you heard it from someone that works there.

Sorry, I can't reveal the source..:silenced:

I think we're getting close you all. I'm not an expert on giraffes though so I could be wrong :thinking: Although giraffes aren't the same as cattle or goats, I'll try to pass on some commonalities I think they have, as far as determining how close they are to delivery.

What looks like possible contractions or pushing could possibly be "bringing up her cud". The stomach forces the cud up their throat and April has a pretty long one.

The ligaments at the tailbone and below soften and lengthen out as well as her "girly parts". So instead of rounded cheeks, they will concave and get droopy looking.

90% of the hundred or more deliveries I've observed or assisted the moms "went off their feed". 95% stopped drinking any water. (Within an hour of delivery) Sometimes they still ate or played with their hay.

90% of the moms started "stringing" within an hour of delivery, sometimes started 24 hours before. The other 10% started during birth.

100% always got the "alarm look" within an hour of delivery. This is usually during contractions and they will jerk their head, lay their ears back and stare as if in a trance. Note- if Ollie alerts too then it probably isn't a contraction ;)

I think we're getting close you all. I'm not an expert on giraffes though so I could be wrong :thinking: Although giraffes aren't the same as cattle or goats, I'll try to pass on some commonalities I think they have, as far as determining how close they are to delivery.

What looks like possible contractions or pushing could possibly be "bringing up her cud". The stomach forces the cud up their throat and April has a pretty long one.

The ligaments at the tailbone and below soften and lengthen out as well as her "girly parts". So instead of rounded cheeks, they will concave and get droopy looking.

90% of the hundred or more deliveries I've observed or assisted the moms "went off their feed". 95% stopped drinking any water. (Within an hour of delivery) Sometimes they still ate or played with their hay.

90% of the moms started "stringing" within an hour of delivery, sometimes started 24 hours before. The other 10% started during birth.

100% always got the "alarm look" within an hour of delivery. This is usually during contractions and they will jerk their head, lay their ears back and stare as if in a trance. Note- if Ollie alerts too then it probably isn't a contraction ;)

Saw this stringing yesterday and so did many others according to AAPFB. Seen her do the last one (Alarm look etc.) many times lol. AAP cam offline at the moment.

I just tried and the feed is still offline. I don't know what it is about this giraffe, but she is the first thing my son and I check in the morning, and the last thing at night. I'm not sure what that says about us. :p

I think my fur babies feel replaced by me watching these two lovelies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is anyone able to view live? I wonder what is going on.

AAP just posted on their FB that they are aware the cam is down and they are working on fixing it. Apparently they got 2,000 emails from people telling them the cam is down, and they're asking people to stop emailing them because it just slows their computer down even more... lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CPomerleau