NY - Giraffe Watch: April, 15, due to give birth at Animal Adventure Park

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Oliver senses he will have a baby? I know seems silly but I do wonder if the males know??!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if Oliver senses he will have a baby? I know seems silly but I do wonder if the males know??!

I don't think that is silly. Animals seem to have a keen awareness of things that change around them and so I think it may be possible.

I don't think that is silly. Animals seem to have a keen awareness of things that change around them and so I think it may be possible.

Oh, he knows all right. I think that is the reason he is so affectionate with April instead of jumping her bones whenever they are together. JMO
He knows she is with calf and hasn't been is season for a year and a half. Or has it been two years, lol.

Aprils is a beautiful mum as well as a wonderful caring Giraffe, very elegant too. I do wish she still had her babies though.

Oliver is one very attractive and hot beast. I very much enjoy watching them together, as the respect for each other warms my heart. There are many a human who could learn something from these two. JMO
Team April and Oliver all the way.

C7ZlELdUwAAsoG0.jpg

Been a while since anyone has posted one of these! :laughcry:

It was mentioned early in the thread (may have been in answer to the chats on youtube/ AAP FB page) that males will check whether a female is pregnant by drinking her urine. Ugh! I noticed Oliver drinking April's urine the other day as she urinated. At this point I would think he could tell just by looking at her. Lol. This may be a sign Oliver needs to start wearing spectacles.

It was mentioned early in the thread (may have been in answer to the chats on youtube/ AAP FB page) that males will check whether a female is pregnant by drinking her urine. Ugh! I noticed Oliver drinking April's urine the other day as she urinated. At this point I would think he could tell just by looking at her. Lol. This may be a sign Oliver needs to start wearing spectacles.

I guess it proves men of all species are not very observant.

This kind of contradicts my previous post but since Oliver is young we will forgive his lack of observation and dote on his lovingness.

1l4b9u.jpg

Aweeee melt my heart into a big puddle. That is so adorable. Gahhhhh

Dear April,

Please stop with the munch munch munch and commence with the push push push.

Yours Truly,

Pink

3/20 Evening Update

"It Takes a Village"

This evening I thought I would share with you a different perspective. Often people ask for the vet report - well here it is in his words to his following colleagues:

April Update - still happy, still healthy, still not in labor. Predicting these things is next to impossible, so I go by physical and behavioral changes that the staff and I observe each day. In theory, that helps us kind of hone in on a window where she could go into labor... unlike a dog, cat, human, horse, cow, goat, etc there simply isn't enough consistent data to say tomorrow she'll go into labor. When you are working with a world-wide spectacle you can imagine how aggravating that is. So today not much in the physical change department but behaviorally she is a little off. She didn't come running over when I got there and took a bit of coaxing to kiss the camera for carrots after my visit.

There is a team of people behind ensuring April is happy and healthy, but also in maintaining, controlling, and addressing the worldwide attention and inquiry.

Tomorrow, we will be installing some new enrichment items that will be seen from camera view. a bumper for "tossing around" and also a puzzle feeder! Install should be around 10 am EST - so watch the Live Feed!

Good night everyone!

17362472_934836549952558_5200200634449227607_n.jpg

BBM - yay! More for our long-necked couple to do!

As much as I want to meet April's baby, I think I am going to be a little sad when the feed goes down.

BBM
Can anyone splain how a male will know that? Can he tell she is peeing for two or does he have EPT tongue?
I did see that but dismissed it as just being in the way of her potty.

BBM
Can anyone splain how a male will know that? Can he tell she is peeing for two or does he have EPT tongue?

Interesting question -- then I thought our little babies , humm, at times, consume "items" from themselves our other babies?

Have always found it somewhat humeroues when another dog owner will freak out if their baby is like licking some outside water.in a puddle!

My thought, unsaid, is like give me break our babies lick their areas, at times like to have a taste of their own creations, or another babies "creations" a dash of some water from like a puddle is ........well........

moo!

3/20 Evening Update

"It Takes a Village"

This evening I thought I would share with you a different perspective. Often people ask for the vet report - well here it is in his words to his following colleagues:

April Update - still happy, still healthy, still not in labor. Predicting these things is next to impossible, so I go by physical and behavioral changes that the staff and I observe each day. In theory, that helps us kind of hone in on a window where she could go into labor... unlike a dog, cat, human, horse, cow, goat, etc there simply isn't enough consistent data to say tomorrow she'll go into labor. When you are working with a world-wide spectacle you can imagine how aggravating that is. So today not much in the physical change department but behaviorally she is a little off. She didn't come running over when I got there and took a bit of coaxing to kiss the camera for carrots after my visit.

There is a team of people behind ensuring April is happy and healthy, but also in maintaining, controlling, and addressing the worldwide attention and inquiry.

Tomorrow, we will be installing some new enrichment items that will be seen from camera view. a bumper for "tossing around" and also a puzzle feeder! Install should be around 10 am EST - so watch the Live Feed!

Good night everyone!

17362472_934836549952558_5200200634449227607_n.jpg

BBM - yay! More for our long-necked couple to do!

Thank god jeeezzzzzzzzzz poor thing I dont know put on an orchestra tape or something!

Dear April,

Please stop with the munch munch munch and commence with the push push push.

Yours Truly,

Pink

Ha - not being snarky. Just thinking like a pregnant giraffe.

Which really, has a heap of irony, from a gay *advertiser censored* spean!

Dear Pink,

Out in the wild I do my own thing!

Love April

Ha

What was there first announced due date?

McDonalds-Hits-Africa-Funny-Fat-Giraffe-Image.jpg
23684268d8fa5decb4e5abacdc14d81b.jpg

As much as I want to meet April's baby, I think I am going to be a little sad when the feed goes down.

Me too perfectingpink. I have sleep issues and watching her at 3 am helps lol. Plus she is just a beautiful animal :daisy: still hoping for a healthy baby soon!

BBM

Magic tongue, sorta. LOL. He can taste the difference in ready and not-ready.

http://www.giraffeworlds.com/giraffe-reproduction/

"Females are ready to mate when they are about 4 years of age. What is really disgusting for most people is that the males will taste the urine of the females. This process will help him to discover which ones are ready to mate. They will be the ones with more estrus in their urine which is a type of hormone. The courting rituals of giraffes involve the chin resting of the male on the back of the female."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Onus