NY - Giraffe Watch: April, 15, due to give birth at Animal Adventure Park

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
i have never heard of Irish Car Bombs but they sound like, pardon pun. a blast!

Ha ha ha! Consider them to be Irish boilermakers and they taste just like chocolate milk, with a kick.

Pour yourself a glass of Guinness. Not too much because you'll have to chug it all, but enough to cover the height of a shot glass (about half a pint). Next, in a shot glass pour half an ounce of Jameson Irish Whiskey and half an ounce of Baileys Irish Cream. Drop the shot glass into the beer, chug and repeat.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/17/irish-car-bomb-drink_n_2867367.html

Won't be 3 for long. AAP staff said they're sending baby elsewhere so they don't interbreed. It's so sad seeing them separated like that when giraffes are social animals, living in herds. I guess their social groups are called herds?
IIRC the main reason was they don't have the adequate space for 3 giraffes. They ideally will keep April and Oliver being already mates. This also opens up the possibility of breeding programs elsewhere. They assured people in one of the videos they did they baby will be allowed to ween naturally before it leaves mom. I'll look for the video again once I've had another gallon of coffee to wake up.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

These guys stay together for life! Termites do !! There are 11 animals that do I only picked the cute pics !

french-angelfish.jpg.1000x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

two-swans.jpg.1000x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

two-wolves.jpg.1000x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

albatross-pair.jpg.1000x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

They form a heart together! My fav how cute:

pair-lovebirds.jpg.1000x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

Hoping to see some baby hoofs today! :happydance: U2forever - Irish Car Bombs are most excellent! :shamrock::shamrock:

IIRC the main reason was they don't have the adequate space for 3 giraffes. They ideally will keep April and Oliver being already mates. This also opens up the possibility of breeding programs elsewhere. They assured people in one of the videos they did they baby will be allowed to ween naturally before it leaves mom. I'll look for the video again once I've had another gallon of coffee to wake up.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I recall the main reason was to prevent interbreeding, which makes perfect sense.

TY for that article, doc! I had just been thinking I wanted to find pics of giraffes in herds and you have saved me the trouble. Giraffes may not have a sophisticated social structure as some animals do, but the fact that they travel in herds and that the females share "babysitting" duty, while the males play, does show evidence of a simple social structure.

From the link above:
social_structure_giraffe.jpg

I want to run with the giraffes! :run: (and leave my walker behind)

TY for that article, doc! I had just been thinking I wanted to find pics of giraffes in herds and you have saved me the trouble. Giraffes may not have a sophisticated social structure as some animals do, but the fact that they travel in herds and that the females share "babysitting" duty, while the males play, does show evidence of a simple social structure.

From the link above:
social_structure_giraffe.jpg

I want to run with the giraffes! :run: (and leave my walker behind)

Oh look how cute they are !! There all just babies like doggies sweet little living things!

Better than humans!!!

There is a beautiful gracefulness the way they move

soooo cute

Back to for profit. I understand this story took off. But do not be playing us as this great thing that watches its animals all the time.

In all likilihood, during 9-5 they saw some mating behaviors. Obviously that was not the encounter that resulted in pregnancy!

It was probably a late night romance - when 9-5 you had no staff on hand

hey it is what it is obviously you are not like you pretend watching your animals 24/7.

just mo

Hey, who could blame April and Oliver for sneaking off into a dark corner for a little alone time! :blushing1:

What happens when the weather starts getting warmer? Will they be allowed outside again? Even if she hasn't had the baba yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What happens when the weather starts getting warmer? Will they be allowed outside again? Even if she hasn't had the baba yet?

I think only for short intervals. Staff have let Oliver and April in a pen together (I'm not sure they do this every day), and one warm day recently they both did go outdoors at the same time.

Are we sure April doesn't just have a food baby like me???!! [emoji15][emoji851]

The ladies in my office are all about April. Even on lunch they hook up a laptop to a monitor we have mounted in the breakroom to watch. At first I thought it was utter rubbish. Why are people hanging on this giraffes every moment? But lately I've caught myself watching at home. I swear it gets you! I especially like the parody videos. Giraffe mom was funny. The April rap parody is clever.

Has anyone been to Animal Venture Park? On another message board, people were complaining that they weren't part of the AZA, American Zoo Association? I guess they have standards members have to follow to stay in it according to animal treatment, cage space and how much they contribute to conservation. Why wouldn't this park be part of it? :thinking:

Edit: Geez is this really my first WebSlueths post despite being registered for three years? I am reading the boards every day following my cases, and posting this realized that I've never actually participated. Of course my first posts are about the dang giraffe!

The ladies in my office are all about April. Even on lunch they hook up a laptop to a monitor we have mounted in the breakroom to watch. At first I thought it was utter rubbish. Why are people hanging on this giraffes every moment? But lately I've caught myself watching at home. I swear it gets you! I especially like the parody videos. Giraffe mom was funny. The April rap parody is clever.

Has anyone been to Animal Venture Park? On another message board, people were complaining that they weren't part of the AZA, American Zoo Association? I guess they have standards members have to follow to stay in it according to animal treatment, cage space and how much they contribute to conservation. Why wouldn't this park be part of it? :thinking:

Edit: Geez is this really my first WebSlueths post despite being registered for three years? I am reading the boards every day following my cases, and posting this realized that I've never actually participated. Of course my first posts are about the dang giraffe!
:welcome6: officially, to Websleuths, Talena!

Of course watching a female giraffe on a screen all day long hoping to see the moment she gives birth isn't utter rubbish. It's udder obsessiveness!:giggle:

I meant to put in the links to what I was talking about in my post.

Here is Giraffe Mom (A very pregnant women does a spot-on imitation of April the Giraffe. Lots of pacing. Don't know why I find it so funny). She beat April to birth though. There is a follow up video with cute pictures of her and her baby boy. She wore her giraffe mask in the hospital. That's dedication to her craft!
https://www.youtube.com/Vyv-uqzxbQI

This is the April Giraffe Rap parody. April is rapping about the hysteria over her pregnancy. Disses Beyonce. https://youtu.be/RAi60SQiJkE

There is another one I like I can't seem to find in my web history where April and Oliver are talking.

I feel rather bad for 'ole Ollie boy. He does a lot of pacing being stuck inside with the weather the east coast is having. Giraffes are roamers and can travel miles a day. Very different life then they would have in the wild. I can never decide if I like zoos or not. On one hand I think how life is easier without having to search for food and water and not ending up as a meal for someone higher on the food chain. They live much longer. But what is the actual quality of life?

I meant to put in the links to what I was talking about in my post.

Here is Giraffe Mom (A very pregnant women does a spot-on imitation of April the Giraffe. Lots of pacing. Don't know why I find it so funny). She beat April to birth though. There is a follow up video with cute pictures of her and her baby boy. She wore her giraffe mask in the hospital. That's dedication to her craft!
https://www.youtube.com/Vyv-uqzxbQI

This is the April Giraffe Rap parody. April is rapping about the hysteria over her pregnancy. Disses Beyonce. https://youtu.be/RAi60SQiJkE

There is another one I like I can't seem to find in my web history where April and Oliver are talking.

I feel rather bad for 'ole Ollie boy. He does a lot of pacing being stuck inside with the weather the east coast is having. Giraffes are roamers and can travel miles a day. Very different life then they would have in the wild. I can never decide if I like zoos or not. On one hand I think how life is easier without having to search for food and water and not ending up as a meal for someone higher on the food chain. They live much longer. But what is the actual quality of life?
I hadn't seen the April rap video yet. That was so funny! Thank you for posting. I can't find the one with April and Oliver having a conversation, either.

I agree with you about the quality of life for giraffes confined to a zoo/animal park. They just look so bored and lonely.

April has been licking her hiney and her tail has be up for some time with no poop. I think there is a bulge also or I'm seeing things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member