NY - Giraffe Watch: April, 15, due to give birth at Animal Adventure Park

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the live video out of sequence? I just watched someone come in and clean April's living area, then switched to another web page a while. When I came back, it still shows live, but the pen is dirty like before.

ETA: I guess it's just a video from earlier, not live. Guess they're not doing the live feed right now.

3/16. EVENING UPDATE
Keeper report is increased swelling in the backend and significant baby kicks from within. Vet reports all is well and no reason for concern. April is posturing quite a bit which is keeping us on our toes! We will see what the weekend brings.

Thought I'd bold this part. :D

April and I have discussed this and decided to end our prank. She is not pregnant, wanted some attention, and in light of her name and April Fools day upon us , we decided to prank the world !

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well one thing for sure, we're closer to delivery than we were.....15 months ago.....

I still don't understand how the staff didn't know her cycle, didn't know if she bred or when, and had no idea about the changes in her body that would signal she was about to birth! HOW? I mean I am no vet, yet have sure spent my time around animals, and watched many be born. They ALL shows signs of labor! That vulva always gets puffy, and changes colors, there's usually a discharge, and the udders are full, waxed and waiting on that baby to nurse! Many animals slow their eating habits down, but I don't know if April will. I'm convinced she'll be chewing her cud while in labor and delivery.

Do things look promising for tonight? Well from the limited information gathered by watching her, maybe. I was shocked when a post was made on FB about her changes last night, the tail lifting, large movements, possible contractions, etc...well that's been going on for days now. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but in the beginning of this, didn't 'they' say there could be labor for 5 days, and that was normal, but they wouldn't announce she was in labor until they saw feet???

Seeing the feet is DELIVERY, not labor! HUGE difference.

The more I watch, listen, read, etc., I'm not impressed....I'm just not. It reminds me that zoos are in the baby making business to make money! They depend on the animals for their income. Calling yourself a park...when you are a zoo.....

I should have never started watching this and stuck with seeing youtube videos of births.....where no one profitted from me watching.

BTW, does anyone know if a youtube user gets paid, like ever? Like if they really want you to subscribe to their channel, and they have x amount of views, for x amount of time? Does 'super chat' pay? Other than people paying to have their question answered? Someone mentioned that over 121K had already been made off April's confinement and that was two days ago!

Yes I have the option to turn the darn thing off. Yes I have the option to be sleeping instead of spending weeks watching a giraffe's hindquarters.... Yet, I seem committed for some weird reason. I've watched it so long this far, that I want to see the birth!

I am going to refrain from getting sucked into this again! It all just seems like a publicity, money making scheme, and I don't like it.

JMO as always!

I really got pissed when I viewed their other animals and saw that all were there just to have babies. Someone even commented that the potbelly pigs were always either pregnant or giving birth, and the zoo said yup.... disgusting! I own potbelly pigs. Guess what? I had my males fixed so no more babies! Would have had my female, my ONLY pig at the time, spayed had a known that a stray potbelly pig would show up here, and mate my girl! GRRR!!!!!

And their piglets are for sale. Jut private message them for more information....

And get those rats out of the barn! This is NOT Charlotte's Web! We dont need a Templeton! Ugh... I 'll stop... where's my snickers bar?

Three times she's lost her balance. I'm going to guess it would be a good time to start watching.

She's dragging that left leg now. Wonder if the calf is pressing on a nerve? Not much outward appearance changes....hopefully internal changes are occurring!

She's dragging that left leg now. Wonder if the calf is pressing on a nerve? Not much outward appearance changes....hopefully internal changes are occurring!
She's lying down now. Has been for a few minutes.

I've wondered about the other giraffes at AAP. Are any of the other females pregnant? Do all of the giraffes ever get to spend time together? I've wondered why Ollie isn't in with other giraffes, but is it because all of the females are pregnant. So, zoo staff only let the giraffes mingle when it's not during mating season, (Is there a "mating season" for giraffes?), and control when they can mate and with whom? :waitasec:

Just asking. Don't want to spread any rumors. But, I hope April has a healthy calf very soon because thinking about all of this is making me very depressed and angry. :mad:

AAP only has two giraffes on site. April and Oliver. (well 3 with pending baby!) ;)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

AAP only has two giraffes on site. April and Oliver. (well 3 with pending baby!) ;)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Won't be 3 for long. AAP staff said they're sending baby elsewhere so they don't interbreed. It's so sad seeing them separated like that when giraffes are social animals, living in herds. I guess their social groups are called herds?

Well one thing for sure, we're closer to delivery than we were.....15 months ago.....

I still don't understand how the staff didn't know her cycle, didn't know if she bred or when, and had no idea about the changes in her body that would signal she was about to birth! HOW? I mean I am no vet, yet have sure spent my time around animals, and watched many be born. They ALL shows signs of labor! That vulva always gets puffy, and changes colors, there's usually a discharge, and the udders are full, waxed and waiting on that baby to nurse! Many animals slow their eating habits down, but I don't know if April will. I'm convinced she'll be chewing her cud while in labor and delivery.

Do things look promising for tonight? Well from the limited information gathered by watching her, maybe. I was shocked when a post was made on FB about her changes last night, the tail lifting, large movements, possible contractions, etc...well that's been going on for days now. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but in the beginning of this, didn't 'they' say there could be labor for 5 days, and that was normal, but they wouldn't announce she was in labor until they saw feet???

The more I watch, listen, read, etc., I'm not impressed....I'm just not. It reminds me that zoos are in the baby making business to make money! They depend on the animals for their income. Calling yourself a park...when you are a zoo.....

I should have never started watching this and stuck with seeing youtube videos of births.....where no one profitted from me watching.

BTW, does anyone know if a youtube user gets paid, like ever? Like if they really want you to subscribe to their channel, and they have x amount of views, for x amount of time? Does 'super chat' pay? Other than people paying to have their question answered? Someone mentioned that over 121K had already been made off April's confinement and that was two days ago!

Yes I have the option to turn the darn thing off. Yes I have the option to be sleeping instead of spending weeks watching a giraffe's hindquarters.... Yet, I seem committed for some weird reason. I've watched it so long this far, that I want to see the birth!

I am going to refrain from getting sucked into this again! It all just seems like a publicity, money making scheme, and I don't like it.

JMO as always!

Once I found out it was for profit my whole opinion changed also

2hope4, I agree and I feel your pain. I have been watching April for days and days and Wednesday early in morning she was so tired, so uncomfortable and she just went boom, down for the count. I was almost hysterical watching her, hubby was getting angry due to me getting so upset. I hate zoos, animals in confinement and cages make me lose my shi%e.
April, Oliver and every other animal confined and in cages has no choice where they end up and it's sickening. Animals have no rights.
I have my two furbabies because they were kittens in cages and when I saw them (they are 3 years apart) I cried and bought them cause my heart hurt to see them in a small cage all alone. I now have the best two rescues I could ever ask for and they will be my last till I come across another animal in a cage.

Where is CARIIS?

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!! It's always a good day to be Irish. Sláinte Mhaith.

Everyone is welcome at my house tonight and we will have Irish Car bombs for everyone!! Just check your car keys at the door.

Mother nature irony

Amazing that within 30 minutes of coming into the world the first real drive is too struggle to stand, then the rest of their lives struggle to get down !

SHe ought to get a gum commerical ha!

JMO as always!
I know someone who works at the park. Their live cam feed has been on for a while even via facebook. A media outlet took hold of it one day and spun it out "omg April will give birth any moment" when in fact this was not true. Other media outlets picked it up and then people wanted to donate and then the thousand of viewers went to hundreds of thousands. Youtube automatically puts ads on channels with certain amount of viewers and subscribers. This is not anything AAP did. AAP didn't start the feed looking for attention and money. If you watch Jordan's and Alyssas interviews you will hear them explain all this as well. Visitors to their park had been asking how April was doing so they decided to put a live feed in so they could watch. Not thinking the whole world would be watching.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

2hope4, I agree and I feel your pain. I have been watching April for days and days and Wednesday early in morning she was so tired, so uncomfortable and she just went boom, down for the count. I was almost hysterical watching her, hubby was getting angry due to me getting so upset. I hate zoos, animals in confinement and cages make me lose my shi%e.
April, Oliver and every other animal confined and in cages has no choice where they end up and it's sickening. Animals have no rights.
I have my two furbabies because they were kittens in cages and when I saw them (they are 3 years apart) I cried and bought them cause my heart hurt to see them in a small cage all alone. I now have the best two rescues I could ever ask for and they will be my last till I come across another animal in a cage.

Where is CARIIS?

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!! It's always a good day to be Irish. Sláinte Mhaith.

Everyone is welcome at my house tonight and we will have Irish Car bombs for everyone!! Just check your car keys at the door.

i have never heard of Irish Car Bombs but they sound like, pardon pun. a blast!

Won't be 3 for long. AAP staff said they're sending baby elsewhere so they don't interbreed. It's so sad seeing them separated like that when giraffes are social animals, living in herds. I guess their social groups are called herds?

I am confident that is not the case in the wild tho.

s So I would assume it cant be all that bad for them .right? seems as if mother nature wants them to all be together forever- and man steps in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aandatruckrepair