NY - Giraffe Watch: April, 15, due to give birth at Animal Adventure Park

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
4/1 Evening Update

Joke is on us! But, don't worry - we'll text ya!
I would be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for an April Fools baby!
Though the evening is not over, April's relaxed nature and lack of urgency has us guessing we will get through midnight before the calf joins us.
April continues to ignore her grain, zones in and out of awareness, exhibits soft contraction indications, and is even producing manure size and consistency hinting of a birth - though we are not yet in what we will call "active labor". Our big girl is comfortable, confident, and continues to keep her composure - better than the rest of us!
TEXT ALERT SYSTEM:
The Labor Alert and Baby Update text system is now ready for you to subscribe! It will provide you immediate updates, and exclusive content, from labor to May 31st. This will be your first line for updates from labor, to first steps, to first day outside, and more.
Subscribe at: www.AprilthegiraffeAlert.com
This is the one and only true up to the minute source and notification system for April and baby.
This evening's photo is of April and my Niece at dusk. Happy Birthday Reagan!

17626647_945367662232780_5053096145207695407_n.jpg

I think April is not going to have this baby for another month 😂... But really how did they get her due date so wrong. Didn't they say in February she could go in labor at anytime?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I think April is not going to have this baby for another month ... But really how did they get her due date so wrong. Didn't they say in February she could go in labor at anytime?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Yep, they've said that and a lot of other things .Check out the date on this update! Hoping for a weekend baby!

[h=5]Animal Adventure Park[/h]January 27 ·

Big news from the giraffe barn!
Mammory development has begun (which is the final stage) and wax caps are visible to keepers!!
Here is to hoping for a weekend baby!!
Watch closely for baby kicks.
Stay up to the minute on Facebook as we will broadcast live (if possible) also follow April the Giraffe on twitter at @ApriltheGiraffe
And @AnmlAdvntrPark
UPDAT 2:45 PM: Wax caps are off, and we have milk drippage

Yep, they've said that and a lot of other things .Check out the date on this update! Hoping for a weekend baby!

Animal Adventure Park

January 27 ·

Big news from the giraffe barn!
Mammory development has begun (which is the final stage) and wax caps are visible to keepers!!
Here is to hoping for a weekend baby!!
Watch closely for baby kicks.
Stay up to the minute on Facebook as we will broadcast live (if possible) also follow April the Giraffe on twitter at @ApriltheGiraffe
And @AnmlAdvntrPark
UPDAT 2:45 PM: Wax caps are off, and we have milk drippage

i don't know but I don't think wax caps come and go for 90 days!

They were talking about wax caps three days ago. I think it may have started with the goal being to help the giraffe population, but he monetized as it took off.

moo

Proceeds from everything go to conservation is that 2 cents on the dollar or 85 cent per dollar? If I were giving 85 on the dollar I would boast about it. If I were giving 2 on the dollar I would proceeds from every dollar !

Miss April has camera crews now coming in using their big lights . Strangers in out with different smells and , setting up all kinds of strange looking things around her

If Lady were pregnant and my vet is now off a quarter of a year I would seek out another vet!!

Its not like there are 28 giraffes there - its two, they mate rarely - so exactly how can they be so confused? I do not know if they are (female) where they also bleed while menstrating- I would also think that staff would notice Ollie trying to drink her urine , or have his nose in that area quite frequently.

I would also think (huh like I know a lot about woman!) that her behavior would change when in heat for lack of knowing the correct word!

We also know that giraffes can have sonograms - its on you tube. When does someone decide they had better check Miss APril out with some stuff other than petting her belly 2x a day?

If we condensed this to doggies - if one of our babies was off two weeks , I would bet it would after 4 days we would be running to our vet!

It has become like a reality series! Lov watching her and carrying on with you guys, it feels like a tease . Every update the last month is today looks like the day!

Does anyone know what the outside temp in the day has been?

DO giraffes have problem with cold weather?

I just noticed Ollies bedroom lights are off. I have no idea what is better for them - but I would assume out in the wild they have darkness at night! So it seems the only reason there are lights or daylight all the time is for us.

All of us animals have rhythms as it relates to night and dark so could this throw her off just in terms of her life?

I am a dash cranky!!

I am glad none of these folks are doing hurricane prediction!!

Yeah! I finally got caught up on the thread! It sure has been busy on here, and I've been busy job hunting so haven't been on WS much the last few days. I have kept the AAP giraffe cam up on my computer, though, and check in every now and then.

Has everyone seen the baby shower Poughkeepsie Journal Media threw for April? Was this on company time? Lol. They don't even know who the father is (Oscar?!). :nono:

[video=youtube;_qfbwEVIr4k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qfbwEVIr4k[/video]

Is it just me or does April look like she might be starting labor?

[video=youtube;vTYzfoO9sDs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTYzfoO9sDs[/video]

Is it just me or does April look like she might be starting labor?

[video=youtube;vTYzfoO9sDs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTYzfoO9sDs[/video]

Could be. She's acting strange. I've never seen her do that tongue thing before.

Have we had any gender predictions yet?

I think April will have a boy calf.

Hey all. Was away but watched last eve. I listened to an Interview somewhere??? with Jordan (owner) and Corey and Alyssa (sp?) yesterday. We will know birth is imminent by the activity in the barn. All hand on deck so to speak. April is watched 24/7. There is always somebody on the premise. Sounds like Cory and Alyssa are not getting much sleep lol. They are watching her when home and constantly texting each other. One of them will come into her pen and lay more sod or whatever that stuff is. Extra padding for the calf to land on. Floors under existing layer of sod are rubber. However they want to add another layer of cushion. So we will have some clues as to when the action will begin. Of course the vet will be called in as well.

I am going with a girl. Name-Indy for boy or girl since it was Indy Anna who started the thread lol.

I'll go with a girl too.

Name: Alexandra

Also read/heard a portable ultrasound is impossible to use as their skin is too thick. I wonder if the date is off as perhaps the first mating "didn't take" ???? It has been reported April would cycle every 17 days.

Also read/heard a portable ultrasound is impossible to use as their skin is too thick. I wonder if the date is off as perhaps the first mating "didn't take" ???? It has been reported April would cycle every 17 days.

Hi Bravo!!

Not focused on IF she is preg but is all ok!

[FONT=&amp]Training a giraffe to come close to keepers for diagnostic procedures is no easy task. This took quite some effort and ingenuity on the part of the giraffe keeper staff. A dummy ultrasound unit was fabricated in order to get Kipele familiar with the procedure. Kipele became comfortable with the keepers and their "dummy" ultrasound, but not with the vet staff getting close. So keeper Karen Stern was able to use the EVO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]®[/FONT][FONT=&amp] ultrasound system to get an abdominal view of mom, while Amanda Faliano fed Kipele. Under the direction of the veterinary staff via radio, keepers were able to place the transducer on Kipele to see if she was carrying a calf. Utilizing EVOStream[/FONT][FONT=&amp]®[/FONT][FONT=&amp] remote viewing technology, doctors Gwen Jankowski and Anneke Moresco were able to view the ultrasound image remotely on an iPhone to confirm the pregnancy. "We were only able to see the umbilical cord, but that was enough to confirm [the pregnancy]. It was awesome," said Dr. Anneke Moresco of Denver Zoo.

[/FONT]
https://e-i-medical-imaging.newswire.com/news/e-i-medical-imaging-partners-with-denver-zoo-to-welcome-baby-giraffe-19027698

Hysterical for the first 30 seconds I did not notice they were topless! Felt like I should advise of that !

When all else fails instead of a rain dance lets go for a labor inducing ritual

If it were all males I would have caught it in 0.2351 seconds ha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[video=youtube;JCPsrl_q8xM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCPsrl_q8xM[/video]

I am predicting a calf sometime today. Or just after midnight as we have rain predicted here for Monday.

Hey CARIIS. I do wonder if the ultrasound equipment they have is not as high tech as the one you posted? Likely very expensive and this calf will be their first at this Park. Oh vet check happening.

4/2 Morning Update

This morning, keepers report increased discharge, continued lack of interest in food, full udders. April also continues to be a bit out of character. We continue to watch and wait.

Keepers feel they will be able to get the giraffes yard time today, as yard conditions have returned to safe and temperatures promise to climb from the 30s to 50s today. Perhaps that will "shake" things up!...

https://www.facebook.com/AnimalAdventurePark/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member