NY - Giraffe Watch: April, 15, due to give birth at Animal Adventure Park

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anybody see yesterday when April and Oliver were standing close to each other (but each in their own enclosure) and April was eating the hay and Oliver was sticking his tongue over trying to get some? They crack me up!

I missed that but did see April & Oliver nuzzling last night. So cute.

I'm so glad the vet is ok!! I rewound too and made my husband watch. It looked like he got kicked twice. Hubby's father took a horse kick in the jaw and of course his jaw broke and my father took one in the leg and of course his leg broke. I couldn't imagine a giraffe kick and was worried about the vet all afternoon.

I remember being extremely cranky when pregnant so I don't blame April but wow poor vet.
That reminds me of a Far Side (comic strip) cartoon I once read in which a former zoo veterinarian was introduced at a lecture. The vet, who had artificial limbs and a patch over one eye, had recently written his autobiography. The title of his book was Zoo Vet--I Quit. I found it online and attached it so you can see it here. :p

attachment.php

Attachments

• zoo vet.jpg
    zoo vet.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 203
I haven't checked into this, but apparently there is an app to get notification when April is giving birth.
Click here to learn more about the app, including where you can go to download it.
more info at:
http://wfla.com/2017/03/03/app-alerts-you-to-impending-giraffe-birth/

Reactions: JDG
I haven't checked into this, but apparently there is an app to get notification when April is giving birth.
Click here to learn more about the app, including where you can go to download it.
more info at:
http://wfla.com/2017/03/03/app-alerts-you-to-impending-giraffe-birth/

I'm not really sure why they're calling it an app, you don't download anything. Simply enter your email address and then hopefully get a notification once active labor starts. There is also a button to "report" active labor (I bet that's been a mess!).

I did subscribe using a throw away email because I thought I might start receiving a bunch of junk. Nothing so far...junk or otherwise. :p

I'm not really sure why they're calling it an app, you don't download anything. Simply enter your email address and then hopefully get a notification once active labor starts. There is also a button to "report" active labor (I bet that's been a mess!).

I did subscribe using a throw away email because I thought I might start receiving a bunch of junk. Nothing so far...junk or otherwise. :p

LOL. I bet that button has been hit a million times. I've thought she was active several times but it just turned out to be a #2 call of nature.

Re the "App" for update, they're not calling it that. They use the word "tool".

Can you imagine having this many people waiting on you to give birth and then wondering why you haven't?! My DH was the only one allowed in the delivery room - I can't imagine a roomful of people (and there were enough) let alone the half world being able to watch!

April is gorgeous...waiting, watching and hoping for a successful birth sometime in the near future!

I love watching when keepers come in and April and Oliver "greet" them and go over for some belly and nose rubs. It's so sweet.

Lots of movement and it looks to me like some flinching in hips. I don't trust my eyes though...Spots turn into spots when I am watching. I loved it when the handler came in this morning with food and gave kisses to mama and baby on both sides of April's belly.

I hope I am not crazy but her body shape seems to have changed. Her belly is not hanging as low.

The lighting in the pen is changing. Human getting ready to watch I bet. Oh please I hope someone here is watching:please:

The lighting in the pen is changing. Human getting ready to watch I bet. Oh please I hope someone here is watching:please:

Not sure what (if anything) we're seeing right now, but I'm watching too :)

Praying for a safe birth for April & her baby (whenever ​the time finally comes).

She is acting different today I think. Neck keeps going elongated midway in front of her for the longest time while body seems to tense up.

Oh maybe she is eating. Now I feel stupid. lol

ha!

ah memories a night out at the bar !!!!!!!!!!!!

I have NOT had to much to drink

Back off Yoga is good for you!!

17022380_922865284483018_6163471858587788896_n.jpg

Were checking in from time to tim e

just another attn seeking female !!!

HI my Labor

mommy of the year

I was so lost when I heard about this. I did not know there was another one giving birth. I have no idea who it was (!) maybe Natl Geo , but man I was so glad it was narrated.

He calmed explained that the calf is gonna just fall out about 6 feet. Oh if it was not narrated I would be traumatized still .

But it was amazing. I then you tubed a deer

that was not as ok - was not bad but she looked more in pain than whatever giraffe I saw that night.

NO real idea homospaian or Miss April (my first doggie name!) but I am not sure if this is good going on and on.

Then Dobbey got in the mix,

And no I am not watching a baby getting a transfusion - I am fine with human bodies - but not a animal not on your life !

But I thought I was trying to get Miss April , but then it kept going to him with transfusion I am not doing that

in humans if labor is way past date, does that mean something is wrong?

Can they induce in Giraffes?

WOW if you would have told me - in twenty years you are gonna be watching giraffes give birth - I would have dissociated myself from you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love watching when keepers come in and April and Oliver "greet" them and go over for some belly and nose rubs. It's so sweet.

I only saw the interaction once . But it was when dad was in with her. Typical male - he boxed her in but when he (twice) hurdled his neck it was cute -- he wanted to play

Typical male - I don't care if your pregnant lets play !!

And turn on the Super Bowl!!

oh heterosexual men never grow up as you ladies know -- get to stay mommies for the rest of your existence!!

I kinda need ladies to tell me if being so long means something might be wrong _ I am not watching that

how far past is she

HI my Labor

mommy of the year

I was so lost when I heard about this. I did not know there was another one giving birth. I have no idea who it was (!) maybe Natl Geo , but man I was so glad it was narrated.

He calmed explained that the calf is gonna just fall out about 6 feet. Oh if it was not narrated I would be traumatized still .

But it was amazing. I then you tubed a deer

that was not as ok - was not bad but she looked more in pain than whatever giraffe I saw that night.

NO real idea homospaian or Miss April (my first doggie name!) but I am not sure if this is good going on and on.

Then Dobbey got in the mix,

And no I am not watching a baby getting a transfusion - I am fine with human bodies - but not a animal not on your life !

But I thought I was trying to get Miss April , but then it kept going to him with transfusion I am not doing that

in humans if labor is way past date, does that mean something is wrong?

Can they induce in Giraffes?

WOW if you would have told me - in twenty years you are gonna be watching giraffes give birth - I would have dissociated myself from you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You may be responding to LaborDay but hiya CARIIS :seeya:

The zoo in Colorado didn't know about Dobby until it was almost time for his arrival. That mama was on contraceptives (interesting read!).
http://www.9news.com/news/local/nex...how-does-giraffe-birth-control-fail/419692617
I'm sure it was hard to see the little guy getting poked and prodded for his transfusion, and his little neck shaved, but I'm grateful that it happened! I'm thinking he might not have survived in the wild, it sounds like he was very weak and that would have made him more vulnerable to predators. He is doing well now, this is the latest I found:
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/03/08/baby-giraffe-dobby-denver-zoo/

He’s doing fantastic. He’s nursing from Mom great. He’s gaining weight. They just weighed him Wednesday morning, and he’s up to 87 pounds.

“He’s definitely getting stronger every day,” Berry said. “It’s more of a challenge for us to get him on the scale. But it’s fun. And Mom is great. Mom is there the whole time, so she’s watching everything that happens. He’s doing fantastic, and we’re really happy with his progress.”

I have watched a lot of YT videos, and I'm glad I did. I think there is going to be a collective internet freak-out when April's baby drops to the ground, but that's how it works. I also have to say that giraffes make it look awfully easy to birth a 150lb. calf!

Sometime last week April's keepers told us that April is not in labor, that was a headline created by the media. There is no reason to believe that April is past due, because they don't know exactly when she conceived. They observed mating behavior in October 2015, a giraffe's cycle is 17 days...so their estimate could be up to 34 days off and blah, blah. I don't think there is a reason for concern at this point, the information about her being in labor weeks ago was misinformation. I think April is in very good hands, as long as she doesn't keep kicking the vet! LOL

I wouldn't have been surprised 20 years ago if someone told me that I would watch a giraffe birth, but reaching the point of obsession that I have? Well, that's a whole 'nother can of worms!:hilarious:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member