Found Deceased NY - Halle Schmidt, 21, Copake, 2 Sept 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
One has to have sway to question findings like these.

wfgodot and balculator: It sounds to me like you two want to kill this thread! What if we knew Rah Blood abused Halle? Would that change your opinions? What if we knew Halle had never done heroin prior to that weekend? Would that? How can you be so sure of anything, when there are basic facts regarding her death that remain unanswered?

wfgodot and balculator: It sounds to me like you two want to kill this thread! What if we knew Rah Blood abused Halle? Would that change your opinions? What if we knew Halle had never done heroin prior to that weekend? Would that? How can you be so sure of anything, when there are basic facts regarding her death that remain unanswered?
#JeSuisDavidBartlett! Allons- y, mes amis, we must trust our officers of the law!

*cough

Now, to answer your questions: Did Rah abuse her? All signs point to yes; after all, he left her body to rot in a hollow. As for Halle and heroin: quite possibly the first time using, yes; for whatever reason, she couldn't handle the dosage. Unanswered questions and all, though -- it's most likely she was not dosed against her will.

On the other hand....

While I'm a strict Occam's Razorist and tend mentally to treat proposed crime-case solutions as being like bets with odds, the safer the better, thus deciding smart money should, as I wrote above, be placed squarely on the probability that this case is a simple OD and that is that, I do admit there is, about this case, another path that law enforcement has thus far seemingly, and perhaps purposefully, left unpursued, so far at least neither attempting to bring further charges (aside from the Class E non-violent felony beef against Rashem Cotman -- with consequences possibility as light as no-jail-time probation) nor, at least judging by the dearth of coverage in local media, choosing to seek out and interview other possible (or probable) witnesses in the aftermath of a case in which a vibrant 21-year-old woman died after consuming what, for her, was a fatal dosage of heroin.

Now, along this path -- this road possibly not taken, as it were -- one encounters certain questions, viz.:

* Where'd the heroin come from?
* Did Halle Schmidt purchase it, or was she given it, gratis? What was the nature of the transaction?
* Who had access to the drug beforehand? Has a chain of evidence even been attempted?
* Who (if anyone) was with Halle Schmidt when she consumed the drug?
* Where did this consumption take place -- in a room? a vehicle? another location?
* Whose room? whose vehicle? what other location?
* Was the party at Joslen Motor Lodge a large affair? a private one?
* Has everyone identified as having been there, been interviewed by law enforcement?
* If not, who has not?
* Did anyone at the party drop from sight immediately after Halle Schmidt went missing, but before her body was discovered?
* If so, who is that person (or are those persons)?
* Who provided the information that Halle Schmidt's body could be found in an off-road location near Kinderhook?
* Is it more likely that, in spite of what media reported, this person was Molly Arnett, local to the area, or Rashem Cotman, from the city?
* What is the likelihood that Molly Arnett was unaware at the time that she was by her presence in the vehicle assisting in concealing a corpse?
* Why is Molly Arnett not facing charges? Is it because of her family's standing in the area?
* Is Rashem Cotman being investigated further?
* Why are the charges currently facing Rashem Cotman of such a relatively minor nature? Is he being protected? If so, why?
* Have Halle Schmidt's family's concerns been heard and taken seriously? Have they been interviewed after current case pronouncements?
* Were there bruises or other signs of struggle present on the body?
* Will a full autopsy, including toxicology findings, be released?

And in addition please see also tobefrank's earlier and excellent list of questions at #151 above.

Are there other questions or concerns? What might we be missing? A variant reading of this case might well find cause for murder or like charges to be perhaps fileable against one or, certainly, possibly against two, or even more, individuals.

My odds have dropped to about 75.25, btw. For some of the reasons above, and another regarding a recent FB post.

My odds have dropped to about 75.25, btw. For some of the reasons above, and another regarding a recent FB post.

On the HFH page?

Depending on how you define "simple" I'm at 80/20. Definitely OD but probably not so simple.

I don't know. I wonder if she wasn't silenced because she knew too much? I don't think it was an accidental overdose if Rah was who she was in the relationship with and the dealer. He would know whether she had used before or not, and he would know how much she could handle. If she wasn't a heroine user, which I don't believe she was after I saw what she said to her sister, then it would be quite easily to murder someone with a large dose of heroine, without leaving evidence of such. Face it, how many of us have had blood drawn?? Doesn't take much to have an outstretched arm, whether willingly or against your will, and find a vein. Seconds to inject, and the deed is done.

When it comes to the drug world, I trust no one. Wait....I don't trust many people anyway. :thinking: Most are only out for themselves and will lie for no reason at all. Just lie to lie I guess. So if you're looking at a possible murder charge, versus 'yeah she overdosed and I was scared, so I dumped her in the woods', illegal concealment of a body.... most are going to lie about their involvement.

I think of Anjelica, and we still don't have justice in that case. Ruled heroine overdose, and nothing since.

I know I have seen dealers charged with someone's death if it can be proven they supplied the drugs. Wondering if that would apply in NY?

The administrator of the "Hope for Halle" Facebook page (probably Halle's aunt, Erika Concra) posted a comment yesterday on a thread there, saying, "I can also tell you that we went to the spot Halle was found for the first time on Sunday and we found a tooth...Halle's sister found clumps of hair...." Here is a screenshot of the comment:
attachment.php

While the clumps of hair and the tooth could be explained by the process of dragging Halle over rough terrain, out of the car, and down the hill, it could also be an indication of a fight or a struggle.

Furthermore, do you imagine Rah dragging Halle's tiny little body to the dump spot, or do you imagine him throwing her over his shoulder? It's impossible to say definitively either way, of course, but it actually seems likelier to me that he would pick her up -- perhaps because she's so lightweight, perhaps because he, maybe, at one point loved her?

Attachments

• IMG_8802.jpg
    IMG_8802.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 240
In addition to the tooth indicating a possible struggle, it also points to a less-than-thorough police investigation. It's actually kind of unimaginable that the police/sheriff's department, who had a huge crew and a forensics van on the scene, could miss this detail, while the family could just walk out into the woods and find a tooth.

I imagine that, based on the presence of blood, the coroner or ME could determine whether the tooth came out before or after death. If this is, in fact, Halle's tooth and assuming they care enough to examine other possibilities.

Balculator: I absolutely agree. Body parts left at a crime scene sure does seem like a grave oversight.

That tooth, those hanks of hair -- alleged, I should say, it's FB info for now; and if true, allegedly from Halle; if these prove fact, confidence in LE drops precipitously, and the odds drop further, though still will favor the "simple OD" conclusion. Just the rumor of which likewise dropped those odds, as indicated above.

(Again: while keeping in mind what Oscar Wilde said: "The truth is rarely pure and never simple.")

Halle Schmidt, barely cold in the ground, has become already an abbreviated homily, a small object lesson, a short play, a final scene, only a death and never a life, a warning sign and not a pathway.

Hudson Register-Star: Students hear the hard truth about drug abuse

---
State Trooper Dan Scali introduced the program by speaking to the gathered students about the possible paths ahead.
---
A recovering drug addict advised students to never begin using drugs in the first place and to choose their friends wisely, referencing the case of Halle Schmidt, whose body was dumped last month in the woods on the Kinderhook-Ghent border by an acquaintance after she overdosed, according to police and Schmidt’s family members.
---

The family does not feel that "she overdosed."

This is just utter tosh, this Register-Star piece. Don't get me started on other components here.

#JusticeForHalle

Halle Schmidt, barely cold in the ground, has become already an abbreviated homily, a small object lesson, a short play, a final scene, only a death and never a life, a warning sign and not a pathway.

Hudson Register-Star: Students hear the hard truth about drug abuse

The family does not feel that "she overdosed."

This is just utter tosh, this Register-Star piece. Don't get me started on other components here.

#JusticeForHalle

A recovering drug addict advised students to never begin using drugs in the first place

Just Say No. Thanks a lot.

Just Say No. Thanks a lot.
Exactly. That's one.

2. Self-described former addicts and their warnings: the not-so-hidden message here is, sure, go ahead, do drugs! And when you then "just say no" you too will be treated as a sage elder, pontificating to middle school audiences about their dangers -- through which you lived to tell.

3. The colossal bad taste of, within about a month of the incident, using an area dead girl by name to foist on others a ready-made message based on a possibly dubious premise the public is asked to believe -- a moral violation of family privacy, and a direct sullying of the waters of possible future legal actions.

4. The great rush to accept the words of two body-dumpers, and the hastening to smear the victim with their self-serving "truths."

So. After my snit-throwing and the question-posing, plus, more importantly (perhaps) the FB revelation that a tooth and hanks of hair were discovered at the Old Post Road/Rabbit Lane dump scene, I still favor the explanation for the death as given, though the odds were in free-fall for awhile. And they're still, I think, lower.

Roughly 64% - 36%, the second figure measuring the belief that something is rotten in the town of Greenport. Et al.

What this case needs is a good podcast.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back