Identified! NY - Harlem, BlkMale 1609UMNY, 20-30, USMC Tattoo, Jun'97 Leroy Bernard Matthews

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have a friend that has been volunteering her time, entering the Hart Island burials to the online database. I spoke to her the other day, she managed to find his page. Link to Hart Island online burial record

Male Unknown - Date of death 06-23-1997
Permit date 07-07-1997
Burial date 07-24-1997
Plot 262 - Section II Grave 44

I think he is local to where they found his car

I have a tattooist friend; she's in the process of moving; but would like to ask for her opinion on it. We know he passed in 97; would be nice if we can figure out how old the tat is; if it was done in multiple sittings. I'm not sure how long it would take to do a piece that size. I feel he's about 28 years old; which would make him born around 1969. He would have joined at what 18? If so that would be around 1987. I have no military knowledge; would he have to have been a Marine 1st & how long?
According to below; he would have been at San Diego Camp Pendleton in 1st Force Recon

how to join the 1st force recon
Marine Force Recon
Force RECON Training - RECON Battalions remained as part of the USMC Divisions and continue to perform missions for the deployed USMC commander. BRC is open to Marines and Navy Hospital Corpsman.
Once you complete your training, the following RECON commands will become your new home:
• 1st Recon Battalion, 1st Marine Division, Camp Pendleton.
• Force Recon Company, 1st Recon Battalion.
• Force Recon Company, 2nd Recon Battalion.
• 2nd Recon Battalion, 2nd Marine Division, Camp Lejeune, N.C.
• 3rd Recon Battalion, 3rd Marine Division, Okinawa, Japan.
• 4th Recon Battalion (reserve), San Antonio, TX.
• 3rd Force Recon Company (reserve), Mobile, AL.
• 4th Force Recon Company (reserve), Alameda, CA.

I did research a few months ago on EOD training because quite frankly, I was clueless what EOD even meant. I don't see that I ever posted it.

Explosive Ordnance Disposal Badge wiki link -

The Meaning of the EOD Badge
The "crab", as it is commonly known, is the only joint service badge and can only be earned upon successful completion of the 38 week course at the Naval School of Explosive Ordnance Disposal (NAVSCOLEOD) located at Eglin Air Force Base, Florida. Prior to attending NAVSCOLEOD, Navy service members attend Naval Diving and Salvage Training Center (NDSTC) in Panama City, FL for a 9 week EOD Diver Course, Additionally the Naval students will attend the maritime ordnance section known as "Area 8" followed by Underwater division. After NAVSCOLEOD, Navy service members attend a 3-4 week course to earn "jump wings" at the Army's Ft. Benning, GA. Army service members will attend a course at Fort Lee, VA for 9-11 weeks before attending NAVSCOLEOD.

The Wreath Symbolic of the achievements and laurels gained minimizing accident potentials through the ingenuity and devotion to duty of its members. It is in memory of those EOD personnel who gave their lives while performing EOD duties.

The Bomb Copied from the design of the World War II Bomb Disposal Badge, the bomb represents the historic and major objective of the EOD attack, the unexploded bomb. The three fins represent the major areas of nuclear, conventional and chemical/biological interest.

Lightning Bolts Symbolize the potential destructive power of the bomb and the courage and professionalism of EOD personnel in their endeavors to reduce hazards as well as to render explosive ordnance harmless.

The Shield Represents the EOD mission - to prevent a detonation and protect the surrounding area and property to the utmost.

I have a friend that advocates for Mount Vernon NY Jane Doe that has been volunteering her time, entering the Hart Island burials to the online database. I spoke to her the other day, she managed to find his page. Link to Hart Island online burial record

Male Unknown - Date of death 06-23-1997
Permit date 07-07-1997
Burial date 07-24-1997
Plot 262 - Section II Grave 44

John "1st Force Recon Marine" Doe Find A Grave

Veteran Doe Blog - Harlem Marine John Doe - Camp Pendleton: 7th Engineer Support Battalion EOD Company?

Here are some thoughts about this case.

- He likely spent time in Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton

- Based on his age range his likely dates of service would have been somewhere in the 1985- 1997 years.
- He was likely very recently separated from the US Marine Corps since he is not on any AWOL lists.
- 7Th ESB (Engineer Support Battalion), which includes EOD Company, was deployed to Iraq and Somalia.
- 1st Force Recon and EOD were both in Camp Pendleton.

This John Doe was found deceased in a Harlem New York City subway station June 23, 1997.

Due to some recent sharing of our other blog posting (thank you so much everyone!) it has been discovered that he would have been in Twentynine Palms, between 1994 and 1996. It is unknown if he was stationed in 29 Palms California, or, if he simply had a short visit for training or other purposes.

With the age range max of 30 his oldest year of birth may be 1967. Working with that year of birth would make him 18 in 1985. So, his likely active duty time would have been between 1985 and 1997.

His main page is here

Another year has gone by and John Doe has still not been identified. He must have family or friends somewhere. We just need to keep sharing his photo and info, someday we will find the person who knows who he is. He was found on 6/23/1997, it has been way too long, Please keep sharing.

Not to sound stupid but is it possible our John Doe has his fingerprints on file ? I don't know if the USMC does it as a means of identification

19 years yesterday! Totally forgot to share him yesterday was so busy trying to write a post for missing Aundria Bowman who's birthday was yesterday.

Not to sound stupid but is it possible our John Doe has his fingerprints on file ? I don't know if the USMC does it as a means of identification

I've emailed Pamela Reed a few times about trying to get his prints run because I work with her a lot on NJ cases, so asked her opinion, turns out when I asked she had started working with military so the timing was right. I emailed her a 2nd time but she didn't get back to me. I'm sure she saw it. Will try to check in again later today.

I had not revised this reconstruction since I created it a few years ago. Here is the much needed revision:

480f1630-39f6-4bdc-8e42-cd0dc9789447.jpg

I had not revised this reconstruction since I created it a few years ago. Here is the much needed revision:]

Thanks so much Carl! He's looking good, hopefully this is his year! Apearn has done a great job getting him press and finding answers about his ink!

I had not revised this reconstruction since I created it a few years ago. Here is the much needed revision:

480f1630-39f6-4bdc-8e42-cd0dc9789447.jpg

You've really out done yourself. I love the detail in his tat with the black and white. Thanks for all of your hard work. Praying it gets him home! I've made sure I did what I could with getting it out there

Bump Bumping Bumped

I saw that there was a new contact. I have to update my posts but I was distracted by looking at the DOD Medical Examiner's info on their DNA database.

They started collecting that in 1991, from what I've gathered so far, so since his tat was done between '94 and '96 he should be in it.

Now, there is no DNA available so that is a problem with that. Plus, I don't see that there is any particular use for the DOD database and local Doe cases however Namus is the DOJ so maybe they can swing it (federal agency to federal agency).

At this point I'd be tickled with pollen or isotopes.

I never got a reply from Ben F. on that Medical Examiner contact # email I sent and, as far as I know, the NYC ME news contact has not replied to the reporter who inquired about him.

Hey all,

What a sad case, I hope this man is identified soon. I browsed through this thread, and I did not see this link posted:

http://www.missingveterans.com/

I haven't had a chance to browse their files yet, so I don't know how extensive they are, but this could be a good resource for finding not just this doe, but any furture does who may have military tattoos. These people may also have lots of military contacts to get the words out.

Contact page: http://www.missingveterans.com/contact/

I'm sure youve already seen this website, but just in case.

What do you guys think of Kevin Russell?

He isn't listed on Namus or Doe, I found him on nampn.

http://www.nampn.org/cases/russell_kevin_eugene.html

He only has one photo. I can't find any information on him at all other than what is listed. I tried the michigan missing persons sight, but it's down.

I know it says he is believed to have been shot and killed, but anything is possible.

This is the most credible-looking match I've ever seen for this man. Even the timing is right.

If he was in enough trouble with someone that they thought he could have been shot and killed, it's easily believable that he could have taken off out of fear, ended up in NY, and then just gave up on life.

I know that if I found this match I'd call the Investigating Agency directly. And maybe e-mail the Namus Regional Director - it's Lori Bruski and she's pretty responsive.

Keep us posted, please.

This is the most credible-looking match I've ever seen for this man. Even the timing is right.

If he was in enough trouble with someone that they thought he could have been shot and killed, it's easily believable that he could have taken off out of fear, ended up in NY, and then just gave up on life.

I know that if I found this match I'd call the Investigating Agency directly. And maybe e-mail the Namus Regional Director - it's Lori Bruski and she's pretty responsive.

Keep us posted, please.
I can surely give it a shot! I just submitted a case to doe network for someone else only 3 or 4 days ago. Do they care how often you submit? Or is it better to submit to namus?

I cant call it in unfortunately, because I live in asia so the charges would be pretty high. Maybe someone can help me?

Ok, I sent an email to Lori, so hopefully she will reply back. I asked her if she might put Kevin's details on Namus anyway, even if this isn't a match.
PS: If anyone tries to contact Lori, I just got a message saying she will be out of office until Sept 26th.

I saw that there was a new contact. I have to update my posts but I was distracted by looking at the DOD Medical Examiner's info on their DNA database.

They started collecting that in 1991, from what I've gathered so far, so since his tat was done between '94 and '96 he should be in it.

Now, there is no DNA available so that is a problem with that. Plus, I don't see that there is any particular use for the DOD database and local Doe cases however Namus is the DOJ so maybe they can swing it (federal agency to federal agency).

At this point I'd be tickled with pollen or isotopes.

I never got a reply from Ben F. on that Medical Examiner contact # email I sent and, as far as I know, the NYC ME news contact has not replied to the reporter who inquired about him.

Thanks apearn so at this point we don't know if he's on the list to be exhumed for DNA. Would be nice if they would

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back