Found Safe NY - Iona, 51, & Emily Costello, 14, Greenport, 30 March 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Iona losing her husband unexpectedly and working through her grief, along with the daughter, would put a lot of stress on anybody's shoulders. Throw in a business that still needs to be run. Hopefully, family stepped in to help.

Hmmmm. I followed one of the above links to the Southold Local news site, and wanted to see if there were any more recent articles on this, so I went to the front page of the Southold Local site and did a search for "Costello":

http://southoldlocal.com/?s=costello

I'm not trying to be cryptic, but I never remember when we're allowed to post something here if there's no person of interest (so I hope I'm not violating anything--and I swear I wasn't sleuthing anyone, just looking for updates). And I really don't think the other listed "Costello" articles have anything to do with these two being missing. But I do wonder if maybe it's some of the "possible stress" that a relative (Iona's mother, I think?) had mentioned?

Yes that is Iona BIL

Iona husbands Obituary

http://suffolktimes.timesreview.com/2012/12/37115/george-david-costello-sr/

Well, this could really be anything. Surely, LE, is well into an investigation. As per, GC's obituary, he has five adult children and 11 grandchildren, FWIW.

I hope it is simply a temporary getaway for mother and daughter, and may all be well.

My folks live on the East End. When they travel to NYC they park in a parking garage and don't touch their car for the entire time they are there. I am still hopeful that this is a spontaneous get-away from NY and not something more sinister. Although I doubt that they took a bus out of the Port Authority, it is possible. So is a short cruise (the ports are there). They would have no cell signal most likely, so it is more believable than these folks taking a bus and leaving their cell phones off.
When my folks go for a few nights they usually stay at an apartment that belongs to friends. No one lives in it full time, and it is possible that the Costellos either have an apartment or certainly know friends that do. So they may have used that as home base rather than a hotel.
It is worrying, but I don't think it's a bad scenario for sure, just yet.

If it was just the mother who was missing I could see it possibly being a voluntary disappearance because of stress but getting a 14 year old girl to willingly go along with that is just not going to happen.

If it was just the mother who was missing I could see it possibly being a voluntary disappearance because of stress but getting a 14 year old girl to willingly go along with that is just not going to happen.

So true. A child is involved. Why not tell her mom where they were going? Why worry her family like this?

I hope and pray they are ok.

Maybe they went to stay with a new friend and are still in the city but not checked into a hotel. Do people do that in NY? Very strange with no contact or phone activity.

Just read this from the first post. LE is saying they don't suspect foul play but I have to say... any time a teenage girl who is active on social media suddenly goes dark, and stays dark, that's a tremendous red flag for me. Granted, it may not be evidence of foul play but it's enough to tell me it's *possibly* not a willing break from her every day life.

moo.

Just a thought from someone around Emily's age. I'm eighteen and in times of great stress with my family or health I take a hiatus from social media because it can be so overwhelming. It's not uncommon for a young person to check out of social media for a bit, at least in my social circle.

Saying that, I have a very close relationship with all of my family members and especially my mom. Does anyone know how close they were?

If she had planned to leave the NY area for such an extended period of time (approaching 3 weeks now), I would think she would have contacted or touched base with her attorney or her accountant prior to leaving.

Even if she had not wanted the immediate family to know the particulars of their whereabouts, I would think someone would have known considering the amount of time away had she planned on being gone this long.

Plus I imagine she would have sorted out certain things out if she were leaving for an extended period of time - things like the farm workers pay, instructions for the upkeep of the animals for a long period of time, handing in a notice at her daughters school to say she would be absent?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Holy huge tuition!
Ross school is over $36,000 per year!
Darn it! Another missing person I will have zero insight on :)

I really want these two be safe. I immediately like them from their photos. Their ages, interest in travel and love for animals makes us kindred spirits (excluding tax bracket, of course). She makes cheese, likes corgis, and kayaks. I really relate to this Mom and daughter.

I'm not saying this is what happened, because I certainly don't know, but it came to mind immediately. Sometimes, women and their almost- grown children who have been affluent then lose the major wage earner lose hope for a better future when the money runs low and make irreparable tragic decisions.
We had an extremely tragic murder- suicide in N. Texas a few years ago. The mother was either the mayor or the city manager.. a high level position but did not pay well. Her husband died, and was underinsured, apparently.
The daughter was fooled for months. Her mother " gave" her a rental car for HS graduation,telling her it was bought new for her, then led her to believe that she was accepted at UT and watched her pack the rental car that was part of a huge ruse to go to UT.

Later that Friday night, before the daughter planned to leave for college the next AM, her mother then wrote out detailed instructions for the care of their pets, their possessions, and a Do Not Resuscitate hand writen letter on the front door.
The daughter was inside the home for the night. Her mother fatally shot her in the head, then killed herself through means I do not remember. Possibly a second gunshot.

Point being, their lives looked PERFECT. Both the mother's and the daughter's friends thought they were grieving normally for the loss of their husband and father. The mother had elaborate advance planning to ensure that her daughter didn't panic, including a faked college letter about an initiation weekend for freshmen, while in truth, the mother had thrown the daughter's college application away. She had never been accepted or expected at the school.

As far as friends and family know, neither one sought mental health counseling or pastoral counseling for their grief and changes in the financial situation. The mother simply could not face disappointing her daughter.. she said this in the letter she wrote. In her delusions, death was better than adjusting to a downscaled lifestyle.

I realize that death affects everyone differently, but I wonder if maybe this could be an internal " situation" for lack of a better term at this point as well as the ever- present danger of stranger abduction and foul play. I also worry about the family member who is in financial and legal trouble at present. His blood family ties were to the deceased husband/ father. He could be extremely desperate, IDK.

Praying for their safety and return very soon. I never understood how the loss of the main wage earner and head of the household can decimate those who are left behind until the high- profile situation in the DFW area. So very tragic. I pray this does not ever happen to a family again.

All is speculation, as I have said, and I pray that they are found safe and sound very soon, or come home on their own soon. I, like the rest of you, am extremely worried about all the things that could befall them since March 30.

Oh, airing now on Pix 11!

Reporter live in Times Sq area.

Car still sitting in parking lot on 42nd St...

However, police say they don't expect foul play.

Hope they are alright !!!!

@ SeekingJana : I recall that case. Horrible. Just the thoughts and planning that went into that final act.... If that daughter had a choice-- I feel she would rather be ALIVE.
Money and position do not make you happy. It would have been a different chapter in their lives ; but they most likely would not have starved to death; imo. :(

From the article- barring a random abduction/killing, good chance this would be related somehow, right? Either voluntary missing or foul play.

"Costello, who runs a horse farm in the quaint seaside town on the tip of the North Fork, has been “under a lot of stress” fueled by a legal battle over her dead husband’s will, a family member told The News.

Costello was married to George Costello Sr., a construction manager who died of a heart attack on Dec. 28, 2012.

The will signed by the thrice-married George Costello, 63, who co-owned Costello Marine Contracting, which builds docks and bulkheads, left everything to Iona and Emily.

The will is being contested by four children from his previous marriages, records show.

“She can’t sell anything. She can’t do anything because everything is in court,” the family member said of Iona. “She’s been under a lot of pressure.”

Still, the relative said family members have no clue what might be behind the Costellos’ disappearance.

“I don’t know if she’s having a nervous breakdown. I don’t know if somebody has kidnapped them,” the relative said."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back