NY NY - Irondequoit, WhtFem 14-23, 122UFNY, skeletal in shallow grave, front teeth overlap, Jul'88

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I've always had in mind she could come from across the border, but also the older the case is, the possibility that she was a local girl becomes more likely. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it turned out that was the case, but she wasn't reported missing/LE wouldn't take the report, or taking the report, but not investigating (who's hearing the ol' "oh, she'll turn up eventually!" excuse?), or LE lost/purged her file. So many possibilities. I hope we get answers soon.
Honestly, I hate it when LE just says "there's nothing we can do" to the worried sick family of a missing person... Sometimes they don't even take a report! I wonder just how many times that has happened...

Even I'm working on a case in NY where police don't seem to want to file a report! (She can't be IJD as the MP would be about 41 at the time)

Bumping with Irondequoit Jane Doe's NCMEC poster:

Have you seen this child?

NCMU1106805c1.jpg

Jane Irondequoit Doe1988​

NCIC# U340558028
NamUs# UP2607

Date Found: July 31, 1988
Location Found: IRONDEQUOIT, NY, US
Estimated Age: 15-19 Years Old
Female

An unidentified female was found in Irondequoit, New York on July 31, 1988. Her skeletal remains were found buried in a small knoll, located in a residential neighborhood that overlooks Irondequoit Bay in Monroe County. It is estimated that she had been buried for a significant amount of time and could have been deceased for up to 30 years prior to being found. The female is 15-19 years old. She stood around 5’01” tall with a height range of 4’10”-5’05” tall. A forensic anthropologist examined the body and found no signs of prior trauma or injury. The female did have unique dental work with several gold foil fillings. The images above is a facial reconstruction created by a NCMEC Forensic Artist that depicts what the female may have looked like in life.

Irondequoit Police Department (New York) 1-585-336-6000 and Monroe County Medical Examiner’s Office (New York)

1-585-753-5905

NCMEC: 1106805

I went through the free New York State Historical Newspapers and I would like to know if anyone with an Ancestry account could help me find out if any of these girls were found.

Barbara Jean Ottman - 17- native of Malone, NY formerly living in Syracuse, NY- reported in newspaper 12 March 1958
Mary Delores Ball- 16- Syracuse, NY -last seen Christmas of '51, reported July 3, 1952
Rose Bosignore - 14- and Roseann Kolb -17- Ronkonkoma, NY- November 25, 1955

I went through the free New York State Historical Newspapers and I would like to know if anyone with an Ancestry account could help me find out if any of these girls were found.

Barbara Jean Ottman - 17- native of Malone, NY formerly living in Syracuse, NY- reported in newspaper 12 March 1958
Mary Delores Ball- 16- Syracuse, NY -last seen Christmas of '51, reported July 3, 1952

I found two more articles in Newspapers.com about a Barbara Jean Ottman. They seem to indicate she had been missing since August 31, 1956 after she didn't come home after babysitting. I don't have a current subscription so I can't get the actual articles, but here's the information.

The Post-Standard

PAGE 11
Syracuse, New York
Saturday, September 08, 1956

The Post-Standard

PAGE 20
Syracuse, New York
Monday, October 22, 1956

I found two more articles in Newspapers.com about a Barbara Jean Ottman. They seem to indicate she had been missing since August 31, 1956 after she didn't come home after babysitting. I don't have a current subscription so I can't get the actual articles, but here's the information.

The Post-Standard

PAGE 11
Syracuse, New York
Saturday, September 08, 1956

The Post-Standard

PAGE 20
Syracuse, New York
Monday, October 22, 1956
I have one so I'm gonna look through and see what they're about.

I'm done looking and Barbara was planning to babysit her sister, and she went to the store to buy some school clothing, but she never returned. It doesn't seem like she'd run away based on this, but you never know.

I'm done looking and Barbara was planning to babysit her sister, and she went to the store to buy some school clothing, but she never returned. It doesn't seem like she'd run away based on this, but you never know.

Wow, yeah, that does not sound like runaway behavior.

I think I've found Barbara Jean Ottman's Find A Grave through her brother Frank:

They had two more sisters (and a brother), Margaret and Rosemarie, so that's consistent with the babysitting a sister part; however the family originally hails from Malone, NY, but they grew up in Syracuse, and their mother's name was Mae Ottman, consistent with the information in the newspaper clipping in post #389. Pretty sure this is "our" Barbara!

Barbara, on the other hand, seems to have married a D.K. Stevenson and settled in LA county, California, where she passed away in 2009.

-------

(and Hiya, Carbuff! *waves* Good to see you again!)

As far as I can tell, nobody from that list is still missing.
Barbara is deceased
(Barbara Jean Stevenson (1935-2009) - Find a Grave...)
Mary is deceased
Rose is alive (as far as I can tell) and still living in Ronkonkoma
Roseann got married in Virginia and lives in NC

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-01-02 at 9.59.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-02 at 9.59.28 PM.png
    116.3 KB · Views: 4
I think I've found Barbara Jean Ottman's Find A Grave through her brother Frank:

They had two more sisters (and a brother), Margaret and Rosemarie, so that's consistent with the babysitting a sister part; however the family originally hails from Malone, NY, but they grew up in Syracuse, and their mother's name was Mae Ottman, consistent with the information in the newspaper clipping in post #389. Pretty sure this is "our" Barbara!

Barbara, on the other hand, seems to have married a D.K. Stevenson and settled in LA county, California, where she passed away in 2009.

-------

When I saw the circumstances of her case weren't consistent with a runaway, I got really nervous about what happened to her. I'm so relieved that she lived a full life.

-------

Also, the original newspaper we found her form says he mothers maiden name was Burgess, and had an aunt named Florence. Both of these connections can be seen in the Find a Grave. This is certainly Barbara Ottman.

Ok new list
1. Caroline Daoust - reported missing in newspaper on November 14, 1956, but it seems like she went missing on November 8, 1956. She's from Plattsburgh, NY, age 17, left on a date to a restaurant. The boy she was with came home. She took a cab to a grocery store and vanished. She was believed to have left the city.

2. Betty Ann Miklos - 18 years old, Lackawanna, NY, missing September18, 1958. girlfriend of murdered Aquino man. They found the man and his brother murdered, according to the newspaper, it's speculated to be a hit, "gangster-style".

3. Patricia Ann Hurst - 13 years old, argued with her mother Dorothy Hurst on April 13, 1960 and stormed out. Didn't return home, hitch hiking, reported missing in paper 2 days later. Does seem to be rather much taller than our Doe, about 5'8".

4. Beth Stacey- 15, missing October 1, 1964, left home to make a telephone call, never returned, reported in paper October 8, 1964.

5. Joyce Ann Fisher- 13, Newark, NY, missing since November 16, 1956, "had never missed a day of school" until she left at noon that day and wasn't seen again, reported in paper December 6, 1956

Last edited:

Attachments

• 7BEB246F-EA74-4080-99DC-7B4AB0A08973.jpeg
    7BEB246F-EA74-4080-99DC-7B4AB0A08973.jpeg
    31.6 KB · Views: 2

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads