Found Deceased NY - Joseph Comunale, 26, Manhattan, 12 Nov 2016 #2 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoa. There sure is.

So....Joey was reported missing a lot earlier than I previously understood. He was reported missing BEFORE the guys took the body to New Jersey. That is news to me. As I look back on all our discussions, I think I was under the impression they were bringing the body to NJ at the same time as he was reported missing (within a few hours)? It's not relevant, but now your statement has me thinking...

I'm guessing that because Joey gave his phone to his friends who returned to Stamford (that in and of itself is very strange. I don't know anyone who would hand their phone to a friend in that situation. Especially being from out of town, and especially in today's digital world when most phones are attached to the hip since they provide more use than just calling or texting someone. I'm not sure what Joey was thinking, I can only assume he didnt want to be tracked back to that apartment and thats why he left his phone with his friend), that is how LE was able to find Rackover so quickly? I'm thinking there must have been some communication on the phone? agreed, which supports my theory on why he left his phone with his friend. Or maybe communication with the girls they met that night and they knew Rackover's name (they didn't know his address).

Seems that when LE called Rackover, Joey was dead in the apartment at that time?!? yup

Hmmm...I have to spend a bit of time sorting this out in my head.

jmo

I think it's important to note that Joey's uncle is a detective in Westchester (Bedford, according to the article). That was why his case was escalated. That could be why he left his phone with his friend (to avoid being traced back to that apartment since they were engaging in illegal activity), and that could be another reason why MSM is now so tightly controlled with this case - in addition to the prosecution wanting secrecy. I don't think it's a coincidence that the Stamford Advocate is the only publication releasing information - I think Joey's family would like to make sure only facts are being disclosed and at a rate they are comfortable with.

I find it very strange Joey would give his cell phone to his friends returning home when he was staying alone in the city with people he did not know. That is all the more reason to keep it on you, regardless of what he was doing. Interesting.

I find it very strange Joey would give his cell phone to his friends returning home when he was staying alone in the city with people he did not know. That is all the more reason to keep it on you, regardless of what he was doing. Interesting.

I totally agree. That is really what I was stuck on after reading the article yesterday. Why would he do that? I honestly don't know anyone that would do that and can't think of a reason why a guy in his 20's would give his phone to his friend. My kids would give an arm before giving their phones. Especially, if they are out partying.

I totally agree. That is really what I was stuck on after reading the article yesterday. Why would he do that? I honestly don't know anyone that would do that and can't think of a reason why a guy in his 20's would give his phone to his friend. My kids would give an arm before giving their phones. Especially, if they are out partying.

I totally agree with every word you wrote, I have 3 kids, even if the phone was dead, would keep it on them, everywhere you go "someone" has a charger.. I had never read that phone point before..

Hello everyone. I've followed this case from the beginning. For me, it's an example of how the lives of good, upstanding people can be lost or permanently impacted by just one wild night on the town.

Anyone who hands off or tosses their cellphone usually does so because they don't want to be located. One reason is that a recovering alcoholic or drug addict chooses to "fall off the wagon" and in doing so must also sever the connection to supportive contacts. Anyone with a recovering family member understands the panicked feeling of cold awareness when there's no response on the other end of that cellphone.

If it's true that cocaine was involved, that Joey was a recovering addict is my theory. Drugs destroy so many lives, in many different ways.

Sooo....now I'm wondering how Joey was determined to be missing. Didn't he have his own apartment? Did he miss work that day - was that the trigger for people to realize he wasn't just sleeping off a night of partying in NYC? (I can't remember what day of the week the murder happened.) How did anyone know he was missing and not just extending his time in NYC?

Did his work or family call his cell phone and one of the friends answered instead of Joey? Or no answer on his cell?

jmo

Here's a link to Eyewitness News timeline:
http://abc7ny.com/news/timeline-details-in-murder-of-missing-man-in-manhattan/1614077/

But if the body was still in the apartment when the officer made that first call, the timeline cannot be correct as it indicates Joey's father alerted the police "Later Monday", after the body had already been allegedly removed and transported earlier that same day.

So the missing persons report was filed Sunday and not Monday? Police took seriously a report of a 26-yr old who went out on a Saturday night and wasn't home within 24 hrs?

Very confusing.

3:15 A.M. MONDAY
Surveillance video from a parking garage on East 58th Street in Manhattan shows where the Mercedes went next.

"I observed what appeared to be a black Mercedes, driven by defendant Rackover, enter the garage and park, after which I observed defendant Rackover leave the vehicle," the NYPD detective wrote in the complaint.

LATER MONDAY
Comunale's father reports his son missing, after not hearing from him. Police issue an alert for the missing man.

A detective goes to the fourth-floor apartment where Comunale was last seen Sunday morning, and talks with James Rackover. According to the complaint, Rackover tells the detective that he hosted a party in his apartment in which his friend, Larry Dilione, a number of women and a man he didn't know attended. Rackover says he doesn't know what happened to the young man who attended his party.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's a link to Eyewitness News timeline:
http://abc7ny.com/news/timeline-details-in-murder-of-missing-man-in-manhattan/1614077/

But if the body was still in the apartment when the officer made that first call, the timeline cannot be correct as it indicates Joey's father alerted the police "Later Monday", after the body had already been allegedly removed and transported earlier that same day.

So the missing persons report was filed Sunday and not Monday? Police took seriously a report of a 26-yr old who went out on a Saturday night and wasn't home within 24 hrs?

Very confusing.

3:15 A.M. MONDAY
Surveillance video from a parking garage on East 58th Street in Manhattan shows where the Mercedes went next.

"I observed what appeared to be a black Mercedes, driven by defendant Rackover, enter the garage and park, after which I observed defendant Rackover leave the vehicle," the NYPD detective wrote in the complaint.

LATER MONDAY
Comunale's father reports his son missing, after not hearing from him. Police issue an alert for the missing man.

A detective goes to the fourth-floor apartment where Comunale was last seen Sunday morning, and talks with James Rackover. According to the complaint, Rackover tells the detective that he hosted a party in his apartment in which his friend, Larry Dilione, a number of women and a man he didn't know attended. Rackover says he doesn't know what happened to the young man who attended his party.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BBM

Exactly my confusion too! People think you have to wait 24 to report a missing person, which is NOT true....but it is strange to me that a grown man on a weekend was reported missing so fast.

I would assume that if a 26yo guy didn't show up at home after a night of partying in NYC that he was probably still having a good time in NYC or sleeping off a good time. I wouldn't necessarily call the police at that time, for that particular demographic...unless something triggered a concern. But what?

Just seems odd, though I'm not implying it's suspicious....just odd, imo.

jmo

Hello everyone. I've followed this case from the beginning. For me, it's an example of how the lives of good, upstanding people can be lost or permanently impacted by just one wild night on the town.

Anyone who hands off or tosses their cellphone usually does so because they don't want to be located. One reason is that a recovering alcoholic or drug addict chooses to "fall off the wagon" and in doing so must also sever the connection to supportive contacts. Anyone with a recovering family member understands the panicked feeling of cold awareness when there's no response on the other end of that cellphone.

If it's true that cocaine was involved, that Joey was a recovering addict is my theory. Drugs destroy so many lives, in many different ways.

I had never considered this theory but...wow, you may have nailed it. If one examines some of the curious aspects of this situation, this explanation fits so many pieces of the puzzle perfectly. I would hypothesize that a reason one might want their mobile to be returned to Stamford is because I'd bet his parents monitored him closely (his Dad does run one of the largest surveillence companies in the USA) and if they were to check-in on him on Sunday morning he'd appear to be at _______ house (a friend, someone they know) and not in NYC with who knows who doing who knows what.

I always maintained that his mobile was what led them to Rackover's building. Now I have no clue how they figured that out.

Sooo....now I'm wondering how Joey was determined to be missing. Didn't he have his own apartment? Did he miss work that day - was that the trigger for people to realize he wasn't just sleeping off a night of partying in NYC? (I can't remember what day of the week the murder happened.) How did anyone know he was missing and not just extending his time in NYC?

Did his work or family call his cell phone and one of the friends answered instead of Joey? Or no answer on his cell?

jmo

He had his own apartment which was purchased by his parents for him. Easy for them to keep tabs on him; right?

BBM

Exactly my confusion too! People think you have to wait 24 to report a missing person, which is NOT true....but it is strange to me that a grown man on a weekend was reported missing so fast.

I would assume that if a 26yo guy didn't show up at home after a night of partying in NYC that he was probably still having a good time in NYC or sleeping off a good time. I wouldn't necessarily call the police at that time, for that particular demographic...unless something triggered a concern. But what?

Just seems odd, though I'm not implying it's suspicious....just odd, imo.

jmo

You're right, for our demographic (and I'm not too much older than Joey was), the police wouldn't be called just yet. But if we consider the following then it makes sense:

1. Joey hands his phone to his friend because he doesn't want to be tracked back to JRs apartment knowing there will be drug use and partying.
2. He does this because he has a history of drug abuse that his parents know about (which unfortunately, is not uncommon for that area and age group) - he may have even done a stint in rehab (pure speculation)
3. Joeys dad reports him missing before the 24 hours required, given his past, and his case is expedited due to who his dad is in the community, his uncle being a detective in Bedford, and because of the strings the police officer is able to pull being a former nypd cop (this was stated in the article honoring the police officer)

I also want to add one more thing: Joey mentions that he met the girls and the suspects that night, before handing his phone to his friend and saying he'll get it from him the following day. I wouldn't be surprised if his friend notified his dad that Joey never came to get his phone.

The theory suggesting Joey had a drug abuse problem makes complete sense. Although we don't know for sure, I can say this, it is very very very strange that he went to that apartment without his phone. He definitely didn't want to be tracked back there. The only other possibility I can think of, and it's a strong one, is that Joey didn't want to put his job in jeopardy considering he worked for his dad's security firm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're right, for our demographic (and I'm not too much older than Joey was), the police wouldn't be called just yet. But if we consider the following then it makes sense:

1. Joey hands his phone to his friend because he doesn't want to be tracked back to JRs apartment knowing there will be drug use and partying.
2. He does this because he has a history of drug abuse that his parents know about (which unfortunately, is not uncommon for that area and age group) - he may have even done a stint in rehab (pure speculation)
3. Joeys dad reports him missing before the 24 hours required, given his past, and his case is expedited due to who his dad is in the community, his uncle being a detective in Bedford, and because of the strings the police officer is able to pull being a former nypd cop (this was stated in the article honoring the police officer)

I also want to add one more thing: Joey mentions that he met the girls and the suspects that night, before handing his phone to his friend and saying he'll get it from him the following day. I wouldn't be surprised if his friend notified his dad that Joey never came to get his phone.

The theory suggesting Joey had a drug abuse problem makes complete sense. Although we don't know for sure, I can say this, it is very very very strange that he went to that apartment without his phone. He definitely didn't want to be tracked back there. The only other possibility I can think of, and it's a strong one, is that Joey didn't want to put his job in jeopardy considering he worked for his dad's security firm.

I am agreeing with you and others who have posted why Joey would give his phone to his friends to bring back to CT. It is possible that he had a drug and/other problems that his father was monitoring.

Even so....even if his parents were watching him so closely that they knew he didn't come after one night on NYC....it STILL seems really quick to call NYPD. (Of course, I wish the call came even quicker and Joey was tracked down and hauled home alive!)

I still think we're missing a piece of the puzzle in terms of people noticing Joey wasn't home. There has to be more to it than just him not showing up and covering his tracks by giving his phone to a friend. I have no idea what, though.

JMOPINION.

I am agreeing with you and others who have posted why Joey would give his phone to his friends to bring back to CT. It is possible that he had a drug and/other problems that his father was monitoring.

Even so....even if his parents were watching him so closely that they knew he didn't come after one night on NYC....it STILL seems really quick to call NYPD. (Of course, I wish the call came even quicker and Joey was tracked down and hauled home alive!)

I still think we're missing a piece of the puzzle in terms of people noticing Joey wasn't home. There has to be more to it than just him not showing up and covering his tracks by giving his phone to a friend. I have no idea what, though.

JMOPINION.

Hmmm I don't know. It's very possible. I mean on the one hand it completely shocks me that he gave his phone to his friend. That's extreme. Leading me to think his parents were really watching him because he had a huge problem with drug abuse. Therefore leading to his disappearance being reported so quickly. Then again, if you have a friend who has had a problem with drug abuse hand you his phone, wouldn't you tell your friend "hey man, this isn't a good idea." ?

Another possibility: he wasn't reported officially missing, but Joey's father called in a favor.

Hmmm I don't know. It's very possible. I mean on the one hand it completely shocks me that he gave his phone to his friend. That's extreme. Leading me to think his parents were really watching him because he had a huge problem with drug abuse. Therefore leading to his disappearance being reported so quickly. Then again, if you have a friend who has had a problem with drug abuse hand you his phone, wouldn't you tell your friend "hey man, this isn't a good idea." ?

Another possibility: he wasn't reported officially missing, but Joey's father called in a favor.

Yes, I am assuming there were connections that got the case bumped up in priority.

But even so, it's still so fast. I mean, Joey could've been at McDonald's in Manhattan having a burger and shake before heading home. Buying new shoes, fooling around with someone in bed...there are a million things that he could've been doing while not wanting to be monitored by his phone. What was the immediate panic? Just because Joey didn't come home right away doesn't necessarily mean he's in danger.

The cause for immediate concern was in fact correct, but how did anyone know that?

jmo

Yes, I am assuming there were connections that got the case bumped up in priority.

But even so, it's still so fast. I mean, Joey could've been at McDonald's in Manhattan having a burger and shake before heading home. Buying new shoes, fooling around with someone in bed...there are a million things that he could've been doing while not wanting to be monitored by his phone. What was the immediate panic? Just because Joey didn't come home right away doesn't necessarily mean he's in danger.

The cause for immediate concern was in fact correct, but how did anyone know that?

jmo

I don't know. I guess I'm considering a protective parent's irrational perspective?

I wish we knew how they knew that, though. These gaps in the timeline, inconsistencies and the anticipation in finding out what happens next is kind of frustrating. Hopefully Joeys family has more information and closure into what happened with their son (and, more importantly, who will be held responsible).

JC might have kept in close touch with his parents, perhaps there was always a Sunday family meal or there might have been another event with friends that he missed Sunday.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

JC might have kept in close touch with his parents, perhaps there was always a Sunday family meal or there might have been another event with friends that he missed Sunday.

That could very well be true.

However, there must be a reason that he wanted to appear to be in Connecticut if anyone were to check his location via mobile device.

Both things can absolutely be true. :)

jmo
Excellent insights as usual inthedetails.

Regarding this retired cop's story:

The officer’s first calls were to the friends with whom Comunale traveled into New York City and he learned that Comunale stayed in town after meeting Dilione and two women, while his friends returned to Stamford.

This leads me to believe that this wasn't Comunale and Dilione's first meeting. Maybe Dilione's number was in Comunale's contacts and the friends remembered the guy in the group he left with was named Larry and discovered his contact info in his phone?

McGowan kept digging and came up with the phone numbers of the women, who told him that they last saw Comunale in front of the apartment building after he and Dilione walked them down to a car.

But the women, were from New Jersey, did not know the address of the apartment building, McGowan said.

In a city of millions (and I get the impression that Comunale's friends didn't click with Dilione or the girls since they didn't join the party) how did they track down the Jersey girls?

When he reached Rackover and asked for his address, McGowan said the suspect became defensive, saying it wasn’t his idea to bring the party back to his apartment.

How does this guy even find Rackover (without his address to boot)?

In Hohn’s nomination letter, he pointed out that a luggage cart had been ordered up to the Sutton apartment a mere 20 minutes after McGowan spoke with Rackover and Dilione

He's reported missing on Monday. The luggage cart was a Sunday thing. This makes no sense.

Source of these quotes:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.stam...d-cop-honored-for-role-in-murder-11006384.php

I'm gonna speculate and guess that Comunale's father had a geolocator hidden on his sons jacket, sneakers or some piece of clothing because that makes far more sense than this retired cop's false timeline.

That could very well be true.

However, there must be a reason that he wanted to appear to be in Connecticut if anyone were to check his location via mobile device.

Both things can absolutely be true. :)
Yes, he must have wanted to elude them that night. It occurs to me, his family may have used one of those family member tracker apps on their phones. It's not sold as surveillance, more for close families to keep in touch without phoning or texting, but it could be hard to say to your generous parents 'I'm disabling the app because I don't want you to know where I go.'

Excellent insights as usual inthedetails.

Regarding this retired cop's story:

This leads me to believe that this wasn't Comunale and Dilione's first meeting. Maybe Dilione's number was in Comunale's contacts and the friends remembered the guy in the group he left with was named Larry and discovered his contact info in his phone?

In a city of millions (and I get the impression that Comunale's friends didn't click with Dilione or the girls since they didn't join the party) how did they track down the Jersey girls?

How does this guy even find Rackover (without his address to boot)?

He's reported missing on Monday. The luggage cart was a Sunday thing. This makes no sense.

Source of these quotes:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.stam...d-cop-honored-for-role-in-murder-11006384.php

I'm gonna speculate and guess that Comunale's father had a geolocator hidden on his sons jacket, sneakers or some piece of clothing because that makes far more sense than this retired cop's false timeline.

For discussion sake, let's say the father did put a surveillance device on JC...what would cause the family alarm at finding out he was a Rackover's place? And why would that concern be so great that they got LE involved?

Just because Joey is at some guy's apartment in Manhattan, the family feels the need to call LE?

I don't get it.

Of course, it turns out they were right - Joey was indeed in danger. How did they know?

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members